Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited October 2020 in Wedding Woes
Lately, in the last week - under my nails have been so painful. Like it hurts to type and pick things up with my fingers.  It’s just dry and it hurts right under my nail. And my fingertips are numb/itchy. It can’t be my diy nochip polish, I’ve been usuing it since April! I don’t get it. You have no idea how much you need your fingertips till it hurts to do so.
No new products on my hands or anything. I started to steam the gel polish off with acetone and steam in a new machine but I always used acetone.  Maybe it’s from frequent polish changes?  I get bored so easily with colors and change them within a week, not 2.  Knot doc’s suit up and diagnos me!!

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    I found that my nails recently started to chip more.   My guess it's the nail polish remover and the dry air that's hitting as fall ushers in.  The under area is where I feel the nail splitting.

Right now I'm giving my nails time and then I'm going to reapply.   I've also heard good things about Mineral Fusion nail polish remover which isn't supposed to do quite the number on your nails.
  • Options
    @CharmedPam If it's dry, this could help {i've done this after long periods of having polish, gel, etc}
    Soak your nails in olive oil with a bit of salt. 10min should help. Afterwards massage your finger tips and then wash with gentle soap and pat dry.

I'm doing a grocery pick up order this week. I was going to go to a store near swimming on Saturday, but it felt too chaotic to drop me off before swimming.
    Plus if I do pick up Friday, I can set up that I clean and separate things on Saturday while solo

It's rainy a.f today, and I just wish I stayed home in bed :( I slept well last night, but still tired guh.

Also how t.f is it only Wednesday .... 

Friday is suppose to be really nice out, so I may take a walk at lunch. There's a store nearby that has a couple things I wanna pick up for BK - one is more an xmas outfit and the other probably won't be until spring she can wear it at this rate but still great. I'm going to get a bigger size also.
    Hopefully going to find something for my mum too.

Side note, has anyone done xmas jammies idea? I'm thinking black and white buffalo plaid pants and plain black top for all 3 of us. Maybe tshirt for M & I cuz we both tend to prefer short sleeves {same reason - we can put on another layer for bed}
  • Options
    Steaming acetone into your hands once a week def sounds like it could be the culprit, combined with new drier winter weather starting. I think if lots of lotion doesn’t fix it, you might need to let your nails go au natural for a while. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2020
    Thanks @MissKittyDanger!  I’ll try that tonight.  I did pick up a tee tree oil cuticle cream, but that’s not in till tomorrow.

it hurt to even type this! Ugh

edit: are your matching jammies for an xmas card photo op?

• Options
    That sucks @CharmedPam.  I don't have any advice, but it sounds terrible.  Soak your hands in oatmeal bath or something soothing like that? 

I'm late to this party, but I've binged Slow Burn season 2, which is about the Clinton impeachment, in the last few days. It's great.  The late 90's were quite a ride. I will probably binge season 3 next, which is about Biggie and Tupac.  Season 4 is about David Duke. 

It stormed most of last night.  It woke me up a few times.  There's wet leaves covering everything. 

13 days left until election day.  Holy shit.   Even though I've voted, I may still watch the debate if it happens.   Brene Brown interviewed Biden on this week's Unlocking Us. It's worth a listen, IMO.  I know you all know this, but for god's sake...VOTE.  
  • Options
    @CharmedPam sounds like you banged your nails somehow :( owch
    Yes and no? No because it's not intentional photo op. More to start a fun tradition for xmas but also I don't wanna do xmas style because I wanna be able to wear them all winter lol! We're trying to find fun but lowkey traditions for us. I'm gonna set it up as something we can open xmas eve and adjust as BK gets older {maybe do jammies she picks?} but have like a movie, hot chocolate, etc with jammies.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I am a big fan of the Hanna Andersson pajamas.    My kids wear the heck out of them and I have the Star Wars Christmas set for myself.     I find that their quality is pretty fantastic and Chiquito only wore a hole in the knee of them after wearing the same set repeatedly for YEARS.   Their sizes are really forgiving too.  

If you like their styles they often have sales that start around now and in November (maybe Black Friday?) they do a sale of either $25 jammies or 50% off - can't remember which but it's a decent time to stock up if you're into them.  

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    That sucks @CharmedPam.  I don't have any advice, but it sounds terrible.  Soak your hands in oatmeal bath or something soothing like that? 

I'm late to this party, but I've binged Slow Burn season 2, which is about the Clinton impeachment, in the last few days. It's great.  The late 90's were quite a ride. I will probably binge season 3 next, which is about Biggie and Tupac.  Season 4 is about David Duke. 

It stormed most of last night.  It woke me up a few times.  There's wet leaves covering everything. 

13 days left until election day.  Holy shit.   Even though I've voted, I may still watch the debate if it happens.   Brene Brown interviewed Biden on this week's Unlocking Us. It's worth a listen, IMO.  I know you all know this, but for god's sake...VOTE.  
    I loved the Clinton Slow Burn podcast, I wanted more episodes! Although it reminded of just how young and vulnerable Monica was and just how badly she was treated by well everyone. I haven’t  listened  to the newer episodes yet. 

I also can’t believe it’s less than 2 weeks away. Still so much time for things to go wrong. 
  • Options
    @CharmedPam have you been sanitizing your hands more than usual? Combined with dry fall weather and the acetone I think that would do it. I bet a paraffin wax treatment would feel nice, although I wouldn’t use one that’s potentially shared with other people like at a salon. Otherwise I think lots of moisturizing and a break from the acetone steaming. 

I’m tired. I had a zoom call with a friend last night at her request. I HATE video calls. Absolutely loathe them. It texting doesn’t do it, let’s have a voice call. But please don’t subject me to the pain of having to sit in one place pointing a camera at my face for an hour. I only did it because she’s been struggling and she’s one of my oldest friends. But I am wiped out today from that and from being “on” all day at work. I haven’t had any downtime this whole week to just decompress from the day. I’m hiking with FSIL tonight and then my plan is to go home, take a shower, and then finalllyyyy watch the series finale of Schitt’s Creek with FI. We’ve been trying to finish it for a week. 

Otherwise, it’s catch-up for me today. And one of my employees called out so now I have to do some department shuffling. Maybe I should have stopped at Starbucks. 

• Options
    It’s storming here today but we got out for a walk during a break in the rain. Allergies have been kicking my ass this week to the point where I’m all “is this covid or just allergies??”

I go back to work 2 weeks from today. That went by so fast it’s hard to believe. I’m doing 4 days and taking PTO every Friday to ease into things until the new year. Thankfully we’re still remote as well!
  • Options
    I'm in one of those weeks when I'm glad it's already Wednesday, but also kind of not. I have two hard deadlines Friday and still a lot to get done by then, but also, I want the weekend. It's freaking amazing weather here right now and I'm bummed that I'm working so much this week, but I'm glad I at least have a window. 

@MissKittyDanger, we did the matching jammies X-mas card last year. I bought them at Target, and got matching ones for the pets, too. We went with a red and white set with button down tops, so both H and I wore them with solid T's under. I think I was buttoned but he was unbuttoned for the actual photo, but we wore them several times last winter.

@CharmedPam, I second Starmoon. It sounds like it might be time to take a break and go au natural for a bit. I would do a moisturizing nail strengthener for a couple of days before going back to polish to see if that helps. 
  • Options
    @banana468 I've heard about HA because another mom in my June 2018 group found they fit her daughter best - I'll look :)

@MyNameIsNot If I get a top and bottom set I'll probably do that :)

@charlotte989875 Booo Mr Charlotte!! M said he'll wear matching for xmas, and he likes pj pants so I figure plain top best so he can wear whenever lol
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I loved the Clinton Slow Burn podcast, I wanted more episodes! Although it reminded of just how young and vulnerable Monica was and just how badly she was treated by well everyone. I haven’t  listened  to the newer episodes yet. 

I also can’t believe it’s less than 2 weeks away. Still so much time for things to go wrong. 
    I'm listening on Stitcher Premium and there are live and bonus episodes.  I haven't listened to any of them yet.  The end did leave me longing.  I've come to understand and love Lewinsky in the last few years (her twitter is FIRE).  It did drive home how young and impressionable she was at the time. 

And I agree with the host about separating Juanita Broderick's politics from her very valid claims about Clinton raping her.  She sounded so sympathetic on the podcast and then to find out she's a full Trumper is just...disheartening and makes it easy to want to dismiss her. 

To the bolded, I agree.  I keep trying very hard NOT to find the silver lining in any of the news.  I keep reminding myself that prominent figures saying it's going one way or the other is a form of voter suppression (especially known right-wing people calling it for Biden).  There's a guy (who I actually know lives ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME and DefConn used to ride the bus with their kids) on my chatter page who keeps harping on the Hunter Biden e-mail/computer scandal and posting unverified links about how he's a pedo and whatnot.  He's losing his shit because he keeps getting taken down by the mods and then continues to spam the page.  It's a trainwreck. Hopefully the ban hammer comes out soon. They're anti-maskers and supposedly support the libertarian candidates.  

Oh and speaking of libertarians, there's one running for governor here.  He's all about anti-masking. He's rising in the polls because people in my state are so ass-backwards and willfully ignorant. 
  • Options
    Ugh all the vibes @levioosa, that was nice of you to go through with the zoom call
    @MissKittyDanger I second the Hanna jammies.  I have a pair that matches the kids (H is too cool to join us).  We do wear them Christmas Eve but the kids also wear them year-round, lol 

Work has been very SSDD.  Gearing myself up for the weekend, back-to-back family events and some of them are starting to annoy me. 
  • Options
    @CharmedPam, alas, I am a terrible Knot Doc today and don't really have a definite answer for you.  Other than it most probably has something to do with your nail routine.  Maybe give them a breather for awhile and go natural.  Hopefully, if your nails get a break, you can resume your normal nail polishing after that and be fine.

In the meantime, if you aren't already, I'd suggest lotioning multiple times a day and especially around the cuticles.  You can't get directly to the dryness under the nails, but if the rest of your fingers are hydrated, I'd think it would help.  Whenever I have issues with itching...which is a lot, thanks to bug bites and skin sensitivity...I take an OTC allergy medication.

I can sympathize a bit.  I badly sprained my left thumb on Friday in a fall.  It hurts to use it.  I would never have guessed how much I use my thumb on my non-dominant hand until this happened, lol.

Update on my non-paying tenant from yesterday.  She did pay the majority of what was owed yesterday (phew), though not all of it.  But also didn't contact me to set up a payment arrangement for the rest ($225), which was also part of the Pay or Quit verbiage, smh.  It's enough we won't be filing for an eviction this week.  But, confounding things even more, is that she requested a couple years ago to have her rent split in half over the month.  So half of it is due on the 10th and the other half is due on the 24th.  The 24th is Saturday and she's obviously not going to have the bulk of her rent again.  So we'll be posting another 5 Day Pay or Quit notice on her door on Monday, Oct. 26th.  It's possible we're only postponing the inevitable for 10 more days.  I'll reach out to her again tomorrow to get an idea of what is going to be happening.  Like, have you talked to either of the charities I told you about.  She didn't during her last rent crisis in December, but I can fruitlessly hope she is wiser this time. 

Other than that, things are going along swimmingly.  I'm caught up with all the important stuff at work, so I'm bored again, lol.  I do have non-urgent things to do and that I need to catch up with.  Some of that because I'll be moving to a different cube in a few weeks.  So much to purge!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I'm listening on Stitcher Premium and there are live and bonus episodes.  I haven't listened to any of them yet.  The end did leave me longing.  I've come to understand and love Lewinsky in the last few years (her twitter is FIRE).  It did drive home how young and impressionable she was at the time. 

And I agree with the host about separating Juanita Broderick's politics from her very valid claims about Clinton raping her.  She sounded so sympathetic on the podcast and then to find out she's a full Trumper is just...disheartening and makes it easy to want to dismiss her. 

To the bolded, I agree.  I keep trying very hard NOT to find the silver lining in any of the news.  I keep reminding myself that prominent figures saying it's going one way or the other is a form of voter suppression (especially known right-wing people calling it for Biden).  There's a guy (who I actually know lives ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME and DefConn used to ride the bus with their kids) on my chatter page who keeps harping on the Hunter Biden e-mail/computer scandal and posting unverified links about how he's a pedo and whatnot.  He's losing his shit because he keeps getting taken down by the mods and then continues to spam the page.  It's a trainwreck. Hopefully the ban hammer comes out soon. They're anti-maskers and supposedly support the libertarian candidates.  

Oh and speaking of libertarians, there's one running for governor here.  He's all about anti-masking. He's rising in the polls because people in my state are so ass-backwards and willfully ignorant. 
    I also have a hard time with departing her claims from her politics, especially since she participated in that press conference and sitting front row during the 2016 debate. 

Even for NY we have a lot of rabid Trump fans in our area (although far more Biden signs!); even one that had a large “fill that seat” sign. I just can’t with people like that. We’ve had a lot of people get banned from our neighborhood group life similar rants. I really feel for Hunter Biden, all the loss he’s experienced and being in the public eye and going through addiction & recovery- can’t be easy! 

• Options
    @charlotte989875 and @MissKittyDanger - I love matching pjs.  We don't have kids but would love to get matching sets for DH and I!

So after spending all my work breaks/lunch cleaning yesterday, the appointment to view the apartment cancelled.  Manager offered to re-schedule for today but she didn't hear back from them.  Guess it's just a good reason to keep caught up amid packing so we're ready for folks to come through.  

We got about 3.5" of snow yesterday!  It's melting today and areas to our north got up to 8".  It's pretty but feels too early.  Temps are supposed to hit 50 degrees by week end so back to fall.

Our work unit is getting a new supervisor.  I really liked our current one and we were starting to make progress on some things that needed work.  Now we'll be on hold for awhile as the new person gets onboard and caught up.  I know the new person (internal hire), she's very nice but I wonder if she'll be able to handle my challenging co-worker.  Time will tell.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  Aftee the 1st I’ll take a 2 week break.  But I have to many Hallo-decorations in mind for them!  @short+sassy  my friend thinks its diabetic nerve pain?  Any thoughts on that? I think its a sharp pain under the nail though - but they could be right.  Then again I never get diabetic symptoms, ever so that would be weird. 

Love those PJ’s @charlotte989875.  If H isnt about matchy matchy maybe complementary? Like a forest green solid color?

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  Aftee the 1st I’ll take a 2 week break.  But I have to many Hallo-decorations in mind for them!  @short+sassy  my friend thinks its diabetic nerve pain?  Any thoughts on that? I think its a sharp pain under the nail though - but they could be right.  Then again I never get diabetic symptoms, ever so that would be weird. 

Love those PJ’s @charlotte989875.  If H isnt about matchy matchy maybe complementary? Like a forest green solid color?

SIB:
    I don't know that much about diabetic neuropathy (DN) because, fortunately, that is not a complication I have experienced yet.  Especially since you do a lot with your nails, I still think the more likely scenario is they got aggravated, maybe with the drier weather that other people mentioned, and need a break from the polish and acetone for a little while.

I Googled to make sure I am telling you right, but the beginning stages of DN usually happen in the feet and legs first.  Though that's not always true.  Below are the symptoms.  Some of them match up to what you are describing, but so can a lot of things.

---------------------------

The early symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy are as follows -

• Numbness, tingling in the feet or hands
    • Pins and needles
    • Prickling
    • Burning feet or hands
    • Cold
    • Pinching
    • Buzzing
    • Sharp and deep stabs
    Other severe symptoms may include the following -
    • Heightened sensitivity to touch
    • Indigestion, nausea or vomiting
    • Diarrhea or constipation
    • Muscle weakness causing difficulty in walking or even carrying things
    • Balance and coordination problems
    Symptoms often get worse at night
    -----------------------------

With all that said, it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.  If it were me, I would wait until after I gave my nails a rest and see if things clear up.  Though I would still mention it to my endo at my next appointment.  I assume you see an endo at least once a year?  If it doesn't clear up, then I would make a special appointment.

I was worried about DN 1-2 years ago, except it wasn't my hands, it was my right leg.  I'd occasionally get tingles and mild sharp pain on the top of my right thigh.  I was so positive it was the early stages of DN.  But at my next endo appointment, my doctor was like, "No, you're fine", lol.  Okay, good.  He asked a number of questions, but it seemed like the most important one was when I told him I did not have anything weird happening with my feet ie, no numbness or tingles there.  He said it would be really unusual to have DN in my leg, but not in my foot also.  I forget what he told me it might be.  But we left it at a "wait and see", it will probably resolve itself.  And it did (phew).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I voted early last week. I just want this damn election over with.

Sorry to hear about your nail problems @CharmedPam.
  • Options
    @MNNEBride do it anyways! I mean my cats would probably murder me, but if we had a pup I would dress up the pup lol I'm just able to convince M to do it because of BK ;) 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    I am SO frustrated with the constant misinformation that I see posted.  There are several people I've opted to minimize information flow from on Facebook because while I don't necessarily want to write them off I do not want to feel my blood pressure go up at every anti Biden anti mask post.  My current philosophy is to not engage but half of me wants to ask, "Why are you doing this? " 

I really really really hope that in two weeks we find out that we're not stuck with Trump for four more years. 
    I did something I never do last night, I argued with someone on FB because he was just so wrong and dumb.  Did it make a difference?  No.  Was it cathartic? Yep.  LOL 
    I really really want to say to this person, "You used to teach in my kids' daycare.  Is this the honest attitude that you have towards both this candidate and those who vote for him?  Is your goal to insult the intelligence of those around you?  Our kids are nearly the SAME AGE. When you taught you were so positive and had the outlook of understanding and kidness.   These posts are the opposite.   Can you please help me understand what changed?" 

And I leave it alone and just don't engage.  
  • Options
    What's a good primer that doesn't stink and won't break bank?

I'm planning on painting 2 thinks - ikea-ture - and I know I need to do a primer first. {everywhere says I can't do paint-primer mix :( }
    It's going to be white paint eventually, but I know one part will likely be another colour also.

{it's a malm dresser & back of BK's closet - M fucked up and put one piece backwards and instead of taking it apart to fix, I'm just gonna paint the backing}
  • Options
    What's a good primer that doesn't stink and won't break bank?

I'm planning on painting 2 thinks - ikea-ture - and I know I need to do a primer first. {everywhere says I can't do paint-primer mix :( }
    It's going to be white paint eventually, but I know one part will likely be another colour also.

{it's a malm dresser & back of BK's closet - M fucked up and put one piece backwards and instead of taking it apart to fix, I'm just gonna paint the backing}
    We use Kilz as a primer for everything.  To me, paint has a medium smell when I am right next to an open paint can.  I think Kilz smells the same.  It doesn't bother me at all, but I'm also not that sensitive to smell.

We've never painted furniture.  But my H did repaint some kitchen cabinets a few years ago that I'd think would be similar enough materials to furniture.

I'm sure other primers exist, lol.  But in my real estate and limited construction experience, I've never heard anyone talk about anything but Kilz for primer needs.  It's such a standard the brand name is almost synonymous with primer.

I sometimes even hear it as a verb, lol.  Like on my real estate board..

Post:  "My tenant just moved out, but they were a smoker, and now the place reeks, how can I get the smell out?"

Advice:  "First, scrub down and Kilz all the walls..."

Going on more of a tangent.  One of the property managers on that board posted a pic one time of smoke damage.  It was so surreal.  The people had lived there a long time and I assume smoking indoors the whole time.  But when they had taken their posters and a Confederate flag off the wall, you could still some of the words/picture on the posters and the stripes/stars design of the flag imprinted on the wall because the smoke had stained the different colors/shades at different rates.  If I remember correctly, it looked like a negative.  Where the lighter colors ended up darker on the wall.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lately, in the last week - under my nails have been so painful. Like it hurts to type and pick things up with my fingers.  It’s just dry and it hurts right under my nail. And my fingertips are numb/itchy. It can’t be my diy nochip polish, I’ve been usuing it since April! I don’t get it. You have no idea how much you need your fingertips till it hurts to do so.
    No new products on my hands or anything. I started to steam the gel polish off with acetone and steam in a new machine but I always used acetone.  Maybe it’s from frequent polish changes?  I get bored so easily with colors and change them within a week, not 2.  Knot doc’s suit up and diagnos me!!

@charmedpam I recently learned that some people can have adverse affects to a chemical in gel nail polish and it can continue to get worse. What you described is what I heard too that it started under her nails and seemed like dry skin and then it got worse.

I just googled and found an article but might be worth investigating to see if the methacrylate allergy stuff fits what you have experienced.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45129280

• Options
    @mrsconn23 i've already voted and wasnt watching the debate last night but I did briefly hear the guy talk about being against masks and I thought yikes there's no way I'd vote for you based on that alone. 

@charlotte989875 probably too early for this year since you won't know how he will grow (like if he's usually ahead of size/age or behind) but what I did with B for his 2nd Christmas (when he was 13 months old) was I bought matching jammies in the next 4 sizes on after Christmas sale. That way I kept the same ones for DH and I and we can match for the next 4-5 years without having to buy 3 pairs each year. I think this year is the last one I have sadly although I'll probably just find something similar for him bc I'm cheap.