Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

2»

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    @CharmedPam I think diabetic neuropathy is less likely based on your frequent use of gel polish, acetone polish remover, and cold weather changes. Of course it’s always a good idea to speak to your doctor and check on your A1C/labs if they haven’t been done recently. Because once that neuropathy starts it can’t be reversed and you want to be on top of your diabetic health. 

• Options
    Busy day, just got caught up on this thread now!  It both feels too early and too late in the week to be Wednesday, it's weird.  It was raining like crazy this morning and was really dreary, but the sun might be shining now!

I hate how dark it is in the mornings right now!  I'm sort of dreading the really short days.

• Options
    Man, shit has hit the fan at work. Really really badly. I’m not sure what it all means for the organization or for our jobs. I’ll be brushing up my resume and most likely looking somewhere else for employment. What a shit year. 

• Options
    @kvrunssaid:
    Lately, in the last week - under my nails have been so painful. Like it hurts to type and pick things up with my fingers.  It’s just dry and it hurts right under my nail. And my fingertips are numb/itchy. It can’t be my diy nochip polish, I’ve been usuing it since April! I don’t get it. You have no idea how much you need your fingertips till it hurts to do so.
    No new products on my hands or anything. I started to steam the gel polish off with acetone and steam in a new machine but I always used acetone.  Maybe it’s from frequent polish changes?  I get bored so easily with colors and change them within a week, not 2.  Knot doc’s suit up and diagnos me!!

@charmedpam I recently learned that some people can have adverse affects to a chemical in gel nail polish and it can continue to get worse. What you described is what I heard too that it started under her nails and seemed like dry skin and then it got worse.

I just googled and found an article but might be worth investigating to see if the methacrylate allergy stuff fits what you have experienced.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45129280

Omg!  This describes me.  I can see dry skin under it! And this would suuuuuck because I have 36 bottles of this stuff and went crazy buying it all! I’ll have to read the ingredients on a bottle once I get home 😞 😔 😢 

heres what the site says:
    • Our easy removal system is non-damaging to your natural nails, allowing for easy colour changes as often as you like. Our gel polish is also safe to use on children with the proper supervision!

• It's 5+ FREE

Eco-friendly, non-toxic, solvent-free, lead-free, latex-free, cruelty-free, and 5+ FREE (No Toluene, no Dibutyl Phtalate, no Formaldehyde, no Formaldehyde Resin, and no Camphor).

• It’s BEAUTIFUL

We have a large selection of gorgeous colours to choose from. Whether you’re going out on the town with the girls, heading to the beach, or staying in with your special someone, we’ve got the perfect colours to suit your mood!

• It's EASY

GelMoment offers a DIY, One-Step gel polish application concept from the comfort of your own home, saving you the time and cost of a professional manicurist.

• It's FAST

With no top or base coat required, our gel polish cures in just 45 to 60 seconds, depending on which one of our LED lamps you choose.

• It's DURABLE

Our GelMoment Polishes aren’t just beautiful, they’re durable too! Our gel polish lasts up to 14 days, depending on your nail type.

• It's VEGAN-FRIENDLY

Our products are free of any animal by-products and never undergo animal testing.

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Man, shit has hit the fan at work. Really really badly. I’m not sure what it all means for the organization or for our jobs. I’ll be brushing up my resume and most likely looking somewhere else for employment. What a shit year. 
    Oh man sorry to hear this @levioosa.  I hope you’re fine till you get something new

• Options
    @CharmedPam just sent you a private message 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    @mrsconn23 i've already voted and wasnt watching the debate last night but I did briefly hear the guy talk about being against masks and I thought yikes there's no way I'd vote for you based on that alone. 

@charlotte989875 probably too early for this year since you won't know how he will grow (like if he's usually ahead of size/age or behind) but what I did with B for his 2nd Christmas (when he was 13 months old) was I bought matching jammies in the next 4 sizes on after Christmas sale. That way I kept the same ones for DH and I and we can match for the next 4-5 years without having to buy 3 pairs each year. I think this year is the last one I have sadly although I'll probably just find something similar for him bc I'm cheap. 
    This is a genius idea!!
  • Options
    @levioosa - I'm so sorry for your work sh*t.  
  • Options
    What's a good primer that doesn't stink and won't break bank?

I'm planning on painting 2 thinks - ikea-ture - and I know I need to do a primer first. {everywhere says I can't do paint-primer mix :( }
    It's going to be white paint eventually, but I know one part will likely be another colour also.

{it's a malm dresser & back of BK's closet - M fucked up and put one piece backwards and instead of taking it apart to fix, I'm just gonna paint the backing}
    We use Kilz as a primer for everything.  To me, paint has a medium smell when I am right next to an open paint can.  I think Kilz smells the same.  It doesn't bother me at all, but I'm also not that sensitive to smell.

We've never painted furniture.  But my H did repaint some kitchen cabinets a few years ago that I'd think would be similar enough materials to furniture.

I'm sure other primers exist, lol.  But in my real estate and limited construction experience, I've never heard anyone talk about anything but Kilz for primer needs.  It's such a standard the brand name is almost synonymous with primer.

I sometimes even hear it as a verb, lol.  Like on my real estate board..

Post:  "My tenant just moved out, but they were a smoker, and now the place reeks, how can I get the smell out?"

Advice:  "First, scrub down and Kilz all the walls..."

Going on more of a tangent.  One of the property managers on that board posted a pic one time of smoke damage.  It was so surreal.  The people had lived there a long time and I assume smoking indoors the whole time.  But when they had taken their posters and a Confederate flag off the wall, you could still some of the words/picture on the posters and the stripes/stars design of the flag imprinted on the wall because the smoke had stained the different colors/shades at different rates.  If I remember correctly, it looked like a negative.  Where the lighter colors ended up darker on the wall.
    I've never heard of this brand. I shall look into it though! I typically get a paint with primer included but this says everywhere it has to be 2 {which tbh is fine mostly}
  • Options
    I also always use Kilz and have heard it used as a verb.  I liked using that b/c it was always cheaper than regular paint and did the job well.  When I moved into my house, they had flat paint in horrible colors on everything, plus just weird...stains, IDK it was like grease spots or something.  We did 2-3 coats of Kilz on everything b/c the walls just absorbed it like water, then used our expensive paint to paint the walls.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I also always use Kilz and have heard it used as a verb.  I liked using that b/c it was always cheaper than regular paint and did the job well.  When I moved into my house, they had flat paint in horrible colors on everything, plus just weird...stains, IDK it was like grease spots or something.  We did 2-3 coats of Kilz on everything b/c the walls just absorbed it like water, then used our expensive paint to paint the walls.
    Yuck!  Flat paint is terrible for interior walls.  It's hard to clean and, like you saw, can develop permanent stains easily.  So weird the PM company would chose that kind of paint.  Or maybe it was a previous tenant that painted.  But I'm glad Kilz helped you all get your painting project done easier and cheaper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Yuck!  Flat paint is terrible for interior walls.  It's hard to clean and, like you saw, can develop permanent stains easily.  So weird the PM company would chose that kind of paint.  Or maybe it was a previous tenant that painted.  But I'm glad Kilz helped you all get your painting project done easier and cheaper.
    I’m the weird one that HATES any type of gloss on interior walls. Granted I did a matte but would totally have done flat. 

But yes Kilz is the best primer!
  • Options
    I like the eggshell? finish?  The not super glossy, but not matte either, just a soft gloss.

@short+sassy our house was a rescue project, as I call it.  I always said our house was super happy we moved in (ex and my house).  It was an old 50s house and we pulled up the sorry 70s green shag carpet to find gorgeous wood flooring (it was the subfloor, but we finished it and had rugs), we painted the elementary school yellow that was on nearly everything away, and put up all new doors and trim.  We were only like #4 or 5 owners for it's age, but the previous people just had terrible style.  One bedroom had 3 coats of Kilz b/c they had used those weird wall plastic pictures for their kids bedroom and we couldn't get it off w/out severe damage, so we just painted over it until it disappeared. 

:smile:
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I like the eggshell? finish?  The not super glossy, but not matte either, just a soft gloss.

@short+sassy our house was a rescue project, as I call it.  I always said our house was super happy we moved in (ex and my house).  It was an old 50s house and we pulled up the sorry 70s green shag carpet to find gorgeous wood flooring (it was the subfloor, but we finished it and had rugs), we painted the elementary school yellow that was on nearly everything away, and put up all new doors and trim.  We were only like #4 or 5 owners for it's age, but the previous people just had terrible style.  One bedroom had 3 coats of Kilz b/c they had used those weird wall plastic pictures for their kids bedroom and we couldn't get it off w/out severe damage, so we just painted over it until it disappeared. 

Oh!  I thought you meant where you are currently living.

I love this story!  There is something so deeply satisfying about bringing a dilapidated/outdated house back to its former glory.  I know buildings are inanimate objects, but it feels like they live and have an aura.  I'm also sure that house was happy to have you as an owner!

When we first bought our personal home, it had this badly stained carpet that was short and nubby.  Like what offices have, not homes.  We hadn't even decided yet what we were going to do about the flooring.  But, on the same day I closed, we went to the house that afternoon and tore up the carpet.  I almost started crying from joy when I saw there was heart-wood pine flooring under it!  It badly, badly needed to be refinished.  But that was my answer and it was GORGEOUS after it was refinished.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

In the house I grew up in, we had 70s orange shag carpet in the living room.  The new owners painted the wood paneling in that room orange to match the carpet.  I cannot imagine what they did with the rest of the house.

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I’m the weird one that HATES any type of gloss on interior walls. Granted I did a matte but would totally have done flat. 

But yes Kilz is the best primer!
    we have flat on our walls thanks to DH insistance and I hate it! It sucks to try to clean - which with a kid stuff gets on the walls. Magic erasers kind of work but I told him next time we paint it has to be