Wedding Woes

Festive Friday

My kids' school had #festivefriday all month, today is their last one.  They're all rocking holiday sweaters...UO but I love those dress-up or themed days, as a student and now as a parent.  School is open again for me too but kinda wished it had been remote, the roads were crazy icy.  
Wishing everyone a healthy and safe day and a weekend filled with happy moments!

Re: Festive Friday

• MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2020
    I'm so happy that this week is coming to an end! It's the last full work week of the year, plus it's been a rough week at work with all these organizational announcements. I'm looking forward to a lazy and relaxing weekend.

Tonight we're going to order delivery and shoot pool in the basement. Tomorrow we'll wrap all the gifts and try to come up with something for my dad (it's about to be booze). Maybe a hike if the sun is out. Then Sunday my mom and sister will come over for our big baking day. I'm off Monday, so planning to clean up from baking and finally get serious about The Crown. 

@Jen4948, Saw about the job on the other post, congrats!!
  • Good for you, @VarunaTT! Sounds like the perfect disclosure.

wfh for 2.5 days next week and the kitchen reno starts! Bleh. 

• @ei34 I loved the themed days for school and I'm weirdly excited for BK to be in school and have them.
    In spring, my mum is gonna be taking BK once a week. I told her if she decides to do themes that she needs to let me know so I can dress her appropriately lol
    Also since she'll be almost 3, my mum {and we've mentioned to daycare} they could start doing pre-school- ish things.

@charlotte989875 M told me last night that my gift is coming Dec 31st lmao so ... .yeh lol
  • @VarunaTT I missed it, who is R? But that's a good text to send. K's mother may not realize how bad some of their situation is
  • M & BK have a dinner date because I have my in-office christmas party :)
    I'm weirdly excited for them lol M is basically doing everything solo tonight - we did do a bath last night so he wouldn't have to chase naked toddler around much.
    I did take out a special snack that BK doesn't have often {gerber cheese puffs lol} so that way they can have a fun snack.

Tomorrow BK is going to my mum's place for the day so M & I can get some Christmas stuff done and errands done. Plus we haven't had a date in awhile so we're doing lunch. Normally my mum would keep her over night, but my mum picked up a shift on Sunday morning at like 6am.
    It's fine. We'll be able to get enough done anyways.

Sunday I think we're going to decorate some gingerbread cookies and M is gonna try to finish the gate build.
  • @VarunaTT I missed it, who is R? But that's a good text to send. K's mother may not realize how bad some of their situation is
    R is K's mother.  She is the one who made all of K's moving arrangements, has dealt with me, etc.
  • Andplusalso I have less laundry than expected!!

I stretched and hurt my back/neck last night. I tend to stretch before bed because I think I get restless legs, stretching helps? Anyways I stretched and now I have this pain down my g.d spine from my neck. I can move except my right arm.

33 IS GREAT GUYS
  • VarunaTT said:
    @VarunaTT I missed it, who is R? But that's a good text to send. K's mother may not realize how bad some of their situation is
    R is K's mother.  She is the one who made all of K's moving arrangements, has dealt with me, etc.
    Ahh ok! I thought so but wasn't 100% sure
  • I am so happy it’s Friday so these two weeks from hell are over. I hope it’s not too much of a shut show today. Will I walk into three more staff positives? Will there be call offs? Who knows. 

I hiked with both FSIL last night. Older FSIL broke up with her BF. I don’t know if that will last but it was frustrating to hear her talk about it with the lack of self-awareness. Not that I cared much for the guy and he did suck, but still. I am sorry for her sake that it was right before Christmas and New Years. That’s always a rough time anyways. 

Otherwise SSDD. I’m feeling very sad and overwhelmed with COVID and how so many people are alone. Our hospitals are at 100% max ICU capacity. I had to send the parents of two of my staff members to the hospital yesterday and tbh I’m not sure if one of them will make it. I’m trying to maintain a good attitude but damn, it’s hard. 

• DH and I were both lamenting the alarm this morning.  Looking forward to alarm-less weekend.   We'll still probably wake up early because now I've said it.  LOL 

There's already a bunch of people off today through next week.  I only have next Wednesday off as a vacation day.  

Cookie baking day tomorrow.  Football on Sunday. Hopefully finishing all the wrapping. I have some projects to work on and hopefully finish at least one this weekend. 

We have to do some clean up around the house for Christmas, but I'm not even sure if DH's uncles are coming.  So it may only be DH and me, the kids, and FIL for Christmas Eve.  I'm down for a no effs given holiday.  
  • Continued *hugs* @VarunaTT

I love that meme @charlotte989875.  My sister sent it to me this week.  I refuse to even check my tracking on the stuff I sent out this week.  Just crossing crossables it gets there in one piece. 
  • @short+sassy  pro tip, never get hand-me-downs unless you have a dryer. I know this now lol
  • A weird thing about my new cube spot.  There is a church across the street from our office building and it is now directly across the street from the section of the floor I'm on now.

It rings one bell on the hour and half hour.  And just one ring, no matter what the hour is.  All of that is great and fine.  But at noon, it plays a "bell song" that is 7 minutes long and has multiple bells ringing at the same time.  It is so long!  The first day I was here for lunch, I initially wasn't listening and then all of a sudden it hits me, "Wait.  Are those bells STILL ringing.  What, what is happening?  How long do they ring?  That's a lot."

Nothing that is a big deal in the grand scheme of things and, no offense to the church, but I am not a fan of their really long and loud bell song, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Casadena BK didn't get toe pricks, what was that for?
  • @short+sassy  pro tip, never get hand-me-downs unless you have a dryer. I know this now lol
    Yes!  You had mentioned you all don't have a dryer.  Out of curiosity, why not?  Do you have the hook up for one?  Is it the cost?  If you look around, you can buy used ones pretty cheap.  Down where I live, a decent basic used dryer runs $100-$200.  And they  are fairly simple appliances that don't have much go wrong and, when they do, can usually be fixed DIY and cheap.

My H is very handy, but by no means experienced with appliances.  Across our rentals and own house, we own 10 dryers.  About half of them for 5+ years.  Two were bought new, the rest were bought used.  We've never had to replace one.  There has only been twice a repair was needed.  One of those times, the tenant figured out how to fix it and bought the $4 part he needed from Amazon, lol.  The other time, my H figured it out and fixed it with a $27 part.

Now washing machines?  Those are a totally different story.  They are very easy to break with negligent use, ie filling them too much.  For washer longevity, don't fill them more than about half full.  Otherwise, you wear down the bearings and that is a couple hundred bucks to replace.  Not worth it most of the time for a used washing machine. 

I stopped buying them used.  Quite frankly, I stopped buying them at all for my rentals.  I even include in my leases now, if there is a washer in the unit, that the washer is only for the tenant's use while it works.  But it will not be maintained or replaced, if it breaks. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Rare astrological happening:

I just heard that on Dec. 21st, a rare "Christmas Star" will form.  It's caused by Jupiter and Saturn paring up at dusk on that day.  The last time it happened was 1226 AD.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @VarunaTT that does seem like a good deal. Are there any smaller units in the complex that would have the same amenities but cost less per month?