Wedding Woes
Options

Impeachment Wednesday

2»

Re: Impeachment Wednesday

• Options
    I have so much beef with the Dem National Party suddenly waking up to Hawley.  The state party was screaming for money and help for the fight to keep McCaskill (who is absolutely not my favorite, but I knew the game she had to play as a Blue Dog Democrat), but far too many people at the time were interested in placating the burning left to pay attention.  Hawley is a horrible human as well, he's just on the national stage now.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2021
    Also, so their argument seems to suddenly be, "He's out in a week, what the BFD"??!!

I'm not sure I can listen to the entire hearing, TBH.
  • Options
    McConnell isn't going to bring back the Senate before Biden takes office, so Republican members are asking "What's the point?" Ah, accountability, Debbie Lesko?
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    McConnell isn't going to bring back the Senate before Biden takes office, so Republican members are asking "What's the point?" Ah, accountability, Debbie Lesko?
    My understanding is that by having the trial when he's out of office the Republicans would then not be faced with forcing him out.  Maybe that's one feather in their cap? 

From there though, should he be impeached and convicted, he loses his pension, travel allowance, funding for an office and post-office benefits afforded to other Presidents.  I can't remember if security detail is there as well. 

@charlotte989875 can you chime in?  
  • Options
    That was the 1st (2nd, looks like maybe all of the Washington reps?) of the rumored 6 Republicans that are supposed to vote for impeachment.

He's no hero, but it's nice to see someone in that Party doing what's right.  He also walked away from that podium looking utterly defeated.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    My understanding is that by having the trial when he's out of office the Republicans would then not be faced with forcing him out.  Maybe that's one feather in their cap? 

From there though, should he be impeached and convicted, he loses his pension, travel allowance, funding for an office and post-office benefits afforded to other Presidents.  I can't remember if security detail is there as well. 

Banana is right; McConnell has said he won’t bring the Senate back from break to hold the trial. He could use emergency powers to force senators back, but seems unlikely. The trial would then be held after inauguration and would obviously not removed him from office but would strip him of his benefits (salary, access to planes) but also would prevent him from running for President again in 2024. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Banana is right; McConnell has said he won’t bring the Senate back from break to hold the trial. He could use emergency powers to force senators back, but seems unlikely. The trial would then be held after inauguration and would obviously not removed him from office but would strip him of his benefits (salary, access to planes) but also would prevent him from running for President again in 2024. 
    So based on this it seems like it's not "good" but the likelihood is better than the last.

Also, @charlotte989875 I'm trying to understand more about when Ossof and Warnock will be sworn in. 

Is it really possible that McConnell is going to let this be postponed until he's no longer Senate Majority leader, Schumer becomes leader and then the Democratic party will be in charge with VP Harris serving as the tie breaker?  

I mean, I'm not a McConnell fan but is it possible that his answer is, "You brought the Democrats to party based on your actions and they'll take you out based on your actions."   Am I dumb to think he's that pissed off? 
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2021
    I don't think he's pissed off, so much as it's passing the buck from a weak willed simpering man.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Thanks to you and @banana468.  I didn't realize the Senate was on break (do they ever work? lol).  As much as I would have enjoyed him being ousted out of office with only days left.  I can also understand waiting until the Senate is back in session.

However, the impeachment proceedings should still be completed, if for no other reason than to send a message.  But it's also nice to see he would lose a lot of perks he doesn't deserve AND he couldn't run for President again.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:

So based on this it seems like it's not "good" but the likelihood is better than the last.

Also, @charlotte989875 I'm trying to understand more about when Ossof and Warnock will be sworn in. 

Is it really possible that McConnell is going to let this be postponed until he's no longer Senate Majority leader, Schumer becomes leader and then the Democratic party will be in charge with VP Harris serving as the tie breaker?  

I mean, I'm not a McConnell fan but is it possible that his answer is, "You brought the Democrats to party based on your actions and they'll take you out based on your actions."   Am I dumb to think he's that pissed off? 
    They’re sworn in later this month, after inauguration so not in time to vote if there was a vote now. 

I think McConnell doesn’t want to have to make a decision in the trial. He’s seen the writing on the walls and that Trump is done and doesn’t want to have to defend him anymore but also doesn’t want to vote to convict a president he’s stood by up until like yesterday. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:

They’re sworn in later this month, after inauguration so not in time to vote if there was a vote now. 

I think McConnell doesn’t want to have to make a decision in the trial. He’s seen the writing on the walls and that Trump is done and doesn’t want to have to defend him anymore but also doesn’t want to vote to convict a president he’s stood by up until like yesterday. 
    Right - that they could be sworn in by the Inauguration although it's not completely certain.  So I guess we'll see how it plays out but at minimum it would be VP Harris presiding as President of the Senate and depending on the timing it could be with a different power structure in the Senate. 
  • Options
    The two FB friends that I had that drank the Kool-Aid deleted their pages. I guess in protest.
    I checked my Trumpy friend's FB page at lunch.  Not for the politics...never for the politics (shudder)...but she's one of my oldest friends so I like to keep up with how her and her family are doing.  Though, truth be told, we aren't very close anymore and I need to keep her at arm's length because her politics have gotten too extreme.

But I digress.  She posts a lot of links/articles to support her beliefs.  A whole bunch of them are now grayed out by FB with a message of "independent fact checkers have found this to be false".  Or sometimes the message says "partially false".  Something like that.

I'm not on FB that much, other than a money management group I belong to and we largely don't discuss politics, so it was the first time I'd seen that.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Today was so busy!  

The GA Senators can be sworn in any day now.  They are waiting for the Counties to finish certifying results.  As soon as that is done, then they can be sworn in.  The Counties have until Jan 20th to finish certifying results.  But its speculated some of the more conservative districts will take that entire time prior to certifying.

I have also read that while impeachment is 2/3rds of the Senate.  The question on whether Trump can hold office again would be a simple majority.

I was talking with one of my bosses today and he said one of the drafters of the impeachment article is a Constitutional lawyer, so he knows his way around that!
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:

And of all political families to try to impugn, Jordan's going for a Cheney?  

I thought about this last night after work and this funny (but dark AF) thought came to me. Dick Cheney isn't afraid to shoot a friend, so god only knows what he does to his enemies.  A Cheney is not one to fuck with.  (yes we all know it was a 'hunting "accident"') Heh
    Even if it was an accident I nearly giggle at the thought that Jim Jordan who only has other pro Trumpers to lean on thinks that he has anywhere near the standing to pull that off. 

Similary w/ Marjorie Taylor Greene who's been on the job for all of a week and a half and she plans to introduce articles of Impeachment against Biden next Wednesday.  

Go back to your playpen, Baby.