Wedding Woes
Options

Just Another Monday

2»

Re: Just Another Monday

• Options
    Yeah I’m nervous about Wednesday too.  Love the idea of a closed room zoom ceremony.  It’s 2021.  We’re in a pandemic.  It’s ok to go down in history with a zoom inuguration at this point. 

@MissKittyDanger.  You are NOT crazy with that dream, and as a pagan I 100% believe your poppa was there! Nothing crazy at all.

@mrsconn23, sorry about the plans - but hey- upgraded hotel room, there’s a perk!

i also watched/finished the Night Stalker.  Without giving anything away, because like ALL serial killers who get admirers and letters behind bars, they really should examine those women who sent him something. Smh. 
    Right!  I don't understand it at all.  Even if you like the "bad boy" type, this is so beyond that.  

• Options
    @kerbohl an expat who moves back home is repatriating. Being a repat is sometimes emotionally more difficult as it seems like everything stayed the same, but you're different, and no one understands. 

@mrsconn23 I am sorry to hear about your H's grandma and that your birthday weekend isn't going as planned. Hopefully it will still turn into a good weekend.

@MissKittyDanger (((hugs))) funerals are so hard, but it sounds like you have some spiritual support. 

@banana468 if you need a good appraiser, I know one in your area. 😊

Ssdd. Nervous for Wednesday but not dwelling since it is out of my control. I have a buddy who is a reporter at a new paper in south Texas, there have been armed protesters (because the paper is Fake News) outside his building for weeks, if not months. He said he'll be happy when he can go back to reporting on normal stuff, cartels and murder, because these people are crazy and dangerous. It made me giggle, but yes, can't wait until this is behind us and we can move on to pressuring TF outta Biden to enact actual change.
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    Yeah I’m nervous about Wednesday too.  Love the idea of a closed room zoom ceremony.  It’s 2021.  We’re in a pandemic.  It’s ok to go down in history with a zoom inuguration at this point. 

@MissKittyDanger.  You are NOT crazy with that dream, and as a pagan I 100% believe your poppa was there! Nothing crazy at all.

@mrsconn23, sorry about the plans - but hey- upgraded hotel room, there’s a perk!

i also watched/finished the Night Stalker.  Without giving anything away, because like ALL serial killers who get admirers and letters behind bars, they really should examine those women who sent him something. Smh. 
    Right!  I don't understand it at all.  Even if you like the "bad boy" type, this is so beyond that.  
    Those cheekbones though. ;) /Sarcasm
  • Options
    kerbohl said:

I will never be able to trust anyone with chiseled  out cheekbones like that again. Those are the devils cheekbones! 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    @banana468, You all should contact that HGTV show, "Love It or List It", lol.  I'm kidding, but your all's conundrum reminded of me of the general premise of that show.
    Too bad we're cable cutters! 

Seriously I think we need to figure out that kind of cost.  We know it could be in the 6 figure range and need to determine if it'll get us what we want or do we need to look elsewhere.  I also don't want to leave town so we're really narrowing down options.  I've pushed DH though saying we don't need to break ground but we need to figure out step 2 soon.  If we're going to be upended it's best to do that in the summer and that's not far off.   To add to it, now that we have a 10 yo I don't want to push renovations too far knowing we'll be looking at college payments soon too.   But we've been here 10 years with no discernable changes and I'm ready to push him to say it's time to do something or get off the pot. 
    Right!  Those are two very different approaches with different plans of attack for the same problem.  It would be nice to at least narrow down the choice to which one.

In the show I referenced, they have two hosts.  One of them is an interior decorator/project manager (Hilary) and the other one is a real estate agent (David).  The family tells the hosts what they are unhappy about in the house and what their wants/needs are.  Hilary forms a renovation plan from their budget.  David takes them out to look at move-in ready listings that already have what they want.

Either way, the renovation work gets done.  That is part of the show.  At the end, Hilary walks them through their home showing them all the improvements.  David tells them the new value of their house and summarizes the previous listings/prices they saw versus what they have now.  And then the family decides (tagline), "If they are going to Love It or List It."    
    Late to the party, but recently read some background about this show. Apparently, all the people on the show are planning to stay in their renovated houses and have no interest in selling. They film the couple saying that they'll both love it and that they'll list it, and then the producers decide which ending to go with based on how they edit the rest of the filming. 

In reality, it makes sense that no one would do these $150k custom renovations that wouldn't appeal to the masses and then sell their house. Like Banana mentioned, the renovations you do if you're selling are just different than what you do if you plan to stay. I still watch it though. I love to hate Hillary. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    @banana468, You all should contact that HGTV show, "Love It or List It", lol.  I'm kidding, but your all's conundrum reminded of me of the general premise of that show.

Seriously I think we need to figure out that kind of cost.  We know it could be in the 6 figure range and need to determine if it'll get us what we want or do we need to look elsewhere.  I also don't want to leave town so we're really narrowing down options.  I've pushed DH though saying we don't need to break ground but we need to figure out step 2 soon.  If we're going to be upended it's best to do that in the summer and that's not far off.   To add to it, now that we have a 10 yo I don't want to push renovations too far knowing we'll be looking at college payments soon too.   But we've been here 10 years with no discernable changes and I'm ready to push him to say it's time to do something or get off the pot. 
    Right!  Those are two very different approaches with different plans of attack for the same problem.  It would be nice to at least narrow down the choice to which one.

In the show I referenced, they have two hosts.  One of them is an interior decorator/project manager (Hilary) and the other one is a real estate agent (David).  The family tells the hosts what they are unhappy about in the house and what their wants/needs are.  Hilary forms a renovation plan from their budget.  David takes them out to look at move-in ready listings that already have what they want.

Either way, the renovation work gets done.  That is part of the show.  At the end, Hilary walks them through their home showing them all the improvements.  David tells them the new value of their house and summarizes the previous listings/prices they saw versus what they have now.  And then the family decides (tagline), "If they are going to Love It or List It."    
    Late to the party, but recently read some background about this show. Apparently, all the people on the show are planning to stay in their renovated houses and have no interest in selling. They film the couple saying that they'll both love it and that they'll list it, and then the producers decide which ending to go with based on how they edit the rest of the filming. 

In reality, it makes sense that no one would do these $150k custom renovations that wouldn't appeal to the masses and then sell their house. Like Banana mentioned, the renovations you do if you're selling are just different than what you do if you plan to stay. I still watch it though. I love to hate Hillary. 
    I also giggle at these home shows where the buyers are all, "Oh well the paint is the wrong color so they're going to need to come down in cost." 

What?? 

I just can't.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I also giggle at these home shows where the buyers are all, "Oh well the paint is the wrong color so they're going to need to come down in cost." 

What?? 

I just can't.  
    Right? Like the absolute easiest thing to change about a house and you think sellers are going to come down? Sure. 

But yet I love these shows! Property Brothers are my favorite. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

During the pandemic they did some looking back shows to see if the homeowners stayed with their original decisions. Some of them who said they were going to stay ended up moving.
  • Options

For sure!  There are a lot of holes to be poked in the show.  You can't trust all that much "reality" with reality shows.  But they can still be fun to watch!  I really liked the first few episodes I watched back during the first season.  But it turned out to be an extremely formulaic show and that was too much for me to continue watching, lol.

I've heard that, on House Hunters, the people have already bought their house and that is actually one of the requirements of the show.

Or the various "flip" shows that usually only include the cost of materials in their rehab numbers.  Not the labor.  Your net profit does look amazing, when you don't include one of the biggest expenses, lmao.

Or, at some point in the process, they suddenly discover "all surprised" some obvious big ticket repair/problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

For sure!  There are a lot of holes to be poked in the show.  You can't trust all that much "reality" with reality shows.  But they can still be fun to watch!  I really liked the first few episodes I watched back during the first season.  But it turned out to be an extremely formulaic show and that was too much for me to continue watching, lol.

I've heard that, on House Hunters, the people have already bought their house and that is actually one of the requirements of the show.

Or the various "flip" shows that usually only include the cost of materials in their rehab numbers.  Not the labor.  Your net profit does look amazing, when you don't include one of the biggest expenses, lmao.

Or, at some point in the process, they suddenly discover "all surprised" some obvious big ticket repair/problem.
    There was a knottie years ago that did house hunters international. She said it was exactly that. They already lived in an apartment. So the show came and hid all their furniture and stuff, and they had to walk into their existing apartment and pretend like they'd never seen it before. 

There's a flip 101 show out that I really like right now because it is far more realistic about the costs of the rehab numbers. Not only do they include things like labor, but they also factor in the interest that people are paying on these loans. Because almost no one is paying cash for the houses and renos. But so many of these shows act like flipping houses is just so much easy money. 
  • Options
    Property brothers is great. I love every one of their spin offs too but my absolute favorite is Rehab Addict. Badass lady restores old homes in Detroit (might not be Detroit).

We almost did House Hunter's International when we moved here but bailed out when it came to getting permission from our landlord/property mgmt. But from a production stand point, OF COURSE things have to be decided on ahead of time. You can't keep crew on standby for weeks at a time while people figure out where they are going to live. Filming take 3-5 days.
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    I will never be able to trust anyone with chiseled  out cheekbones like that again. Those are the devils cheekbones! 
    Never trust a dude with amazing cheekbones.

Murderer. Or will fuck you over. Pro tip