Wedding Woes
Options

Prudie day!

Very excited to read Prudie when I grab a short break in my day.  Work is nuts.  I cannot wait for the weekend!

Re: Prudie day!

• Options
    GL at the eye doc @mrsconn23
    that is awesome, @charlotte989875, I’m hoping you’ll like the new work just as much!

Today I scraped my leg on my bike pedal (it was still turning and my leg was in the way), and slipped and fell into a snow bank while brushing off my car.  We were supposed to get snow from 12-2 in the morning.  Nope, still snowing at 8 when I left.

Thanks for the netflix recs yesterday.  I completely forgot about ratched on my list, then firefly lane and then apparently “you”?

• Options
    @CharmedPam "you" was phenomenal.  A little trashy, but definitely captures interest and makes you want to keep going.  

@mrsconn23 hope defconn does well at the eye doctor and gets all his questions answered. 
  • Options
    Good vibes to DefConn. That must be so scary. 

@charlotte989875, that's really exciting! Those big crossroads can be really daunting, but I know you'd be such a great leader. 

I'm hoping for a quiet day today. I'm just in a funk still and just want the week to be over. I still need to finish my book before meeting book club tonight, but only one chapter left. I can do it on lunch.

I'm also trying to shop my homeowners insurance before I renew in March. I requested a couple of online quotes and liked one, but they won't let me buy without talking to an agent. I really don't understand why I can't just buy insurance without waiting for some douche to get around to returning my call. Does anyone love their insurance company? 
  • Options
    Was on PTO yesterday for a volunteer gig but I developed a migraine as the day went on. Did my volunteering but was miserable by the time I got home. Feels better today but still a dull ache.

Yesterday was the busiest day of emails I've had in a while, and of course it happens on the day I'm off. Digging out from those today. More snow and they didn't plow very well so daycare drive wasn't fun but hopefully the roads clear up soon bc I had planned on some errands today
  • Options
    I'm likely about 24hrs from getting my exam results and I just want to lie down all the time. I'm feeling very anxious.

Did I mention I have a derma call for BK tomorrow also?
    I did have to call and give heads up because she isn't having a flair up so I can't take photos. I have to remember to get a photo of the steroid we have so that way if they ask what we use, I know everything.

I'm currently deleting old shit off my phone.

it's an exciting time to be me
  • Options
    @mrsconn23, good luck to DefConn!

@charlotte989875, I'm glad you've been happy at this company and been so successful!  I remember when you were nervous about leaving academia and going into the private sector.  It's a lot to consider.  It reminds me of a funny comment I heard from one of the engineers I worked with at another company.  He laughed that he hadn't done "real" engineering work in years.  That all he did nowadays was create budgets and go to meetings.  Though I never got the impression he regretted going into management.

My H's interview is today at 1PM.  I'm nervous about it.  I think more than him and I'm not sure if that gives me more or less confidence, lol.  For a good omen, I was able to find my nice leather portfolio for him to tuck some resumes into.  I am not that organized with my things and had no idea where it was, lol.

I'm enjoying the "double win" of a long weekend.  I just came back to work yesterday and today is already Thursday, lol.  For once, the weather forecast completely changed in a good way.  It rained a lot last night and thunderstorms/heavy rain were scheduled for the next few days.  But when I looked at the forecast this morning, it's now a less than 5% chance of rain and sunny for days on end.  Though it's still going to be cold today and tomorrow.  Chilly but a lot warmer on Saturday.  Back to our usual 60s and low 70s next week, lol.

I saw a crazy picture of the US from Feb. 16th with color coding for areas that had snow and shading for how much.  Almost all of TX, except for the west corner and the tiniest strip along the Gulf had snow.  Almost all of Louisiana had snow, except for most of the bottom east corner (where I am), ie the "foot" part of the boot. 

Here is an example of how cold and nasty it was last night.  The daily ritual is my dog Izzy will alert my H that my car is pulling up.  He will open the front door for her (after checking there are no people or other dogs to startle) and she'll run down the steps to greet me on the sidewalk and snort up our small front yard.  She loves doing all of that.  But when I got home last night, my H opened the door like always.  She came bounding out on our porch in her usual excitement.  But then stopped herself before walking down onto the first step.  Almost like a car squealing it's brakes.  Had a look of, "WTH?"  Then turned around and ran back inside the house, lmao.
    Thanks, I do really like the company and I feel like they really care about employee well-being here so I would like to stay here a while. I don’t think I’d regret going into management just seems like a choice to not actually do the work, but to direct and shape it. Big decisions! 

Good luck to your H!!!! 
  • Options

@charlotte989875, that's really exciting! Those big crossroads can be really daunting, but I know you'd be such a great leader. 

I'm hoping for a quiet day today. I'm just in a funk still and just want the week to be over. I still need to finish my book before meeting book club tonight, but only one chapter left. I can do it on lunch.

I'm also trying to shop my homeowners insurance before I renew in March. I requested a couple of online quotes and liked one, but they won't let me buy without talking to an agent. I really don't understand why I can't just buy insurance without waiting for some douche to get around to returning my call. Does anyone love their insurance company? 
    Thank you! It’s definitely daunting- feels like if I make this decision there’s no going back (even though I don’t actually think that’s true). 

We use State Farm for our homeowners policy (I think) and Geico for auto. We haven’t had a claim for our homeowners but we never had any problems. I like Geico because you can do everything through the app and don’t have to talk to people except if they need to verify info. 
  • Options
    I need thoughts and suggestions!

We're assuming we'll need a new coffee maker probably within a year. We typically get keurig's because we really only have time often for 1 cup but M is thinking about this one so then he could have more than one cup if he's home, and/or take a cup to work if he's back in office.

Anyone have this?

Keurig K Duo Essentials Single Serve & Carafe Coffee Maker | Walmart Canada
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2021

Love is a strong word, lol.  I have three insurance agents and really like one of them.  But for the actual insurance companies, I don't even remember who they are, except for my personal home.

For my personal home, I've had Lloyd's of London for the last 6-7 years.  So, first off, I chose them because they were the cheapest.  But for icing on the cake, they also have a more comprehensive policy than is typical in the industry.  For example, sewerage back-up is included in the insurance whereas that is often an "extra" people need to add for more money.  They have also barely raised my rates over this whole time.  I think my rate is currently about 10% more then it was in the beginning.  But that wasn't even done all at once.  I've had years where they didn't raise it at all and some years where they raised it a little.

Edited to add:  Thankfully, I've never had a claim to file with them.  So I can't speak about how they are with handling claims.

Major caveat.  Southeast LA is part of Hurricane Alley, which makes properties here high risk.  And, my goodness, do our rates reflect that!  I probably pay more for 3-4 months of insurance than most people's annual premium.  In addition, most insurance companies won't even cover this area so there is less competition for the companies that do.

For anyone curious, I pay $3800/year for $240K in property coverage and $60K contents.  That also includes the typical liability for (I think) $300K.  That's how bad it is!  And, of course, that doesn't include flood insurance.  That's a separate policy for a separate cost, thought at least it is fairly cheap because my house is in an X flood zone and is a few feet off the ground.  It's around $500/year for similar coverage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy we are 5 miles from the CT coast and also have high insurance rates due to the proximity to the shoreline.  It's laughable because we're far more likely to have an oak fall on our home than we are to see a flood here but it's all based on proximity to water. 

This week can suck it.  I'm truly lucky that we have power and our home is built to withstand a New England winter.  Holyguacamole had no power for nearly two days and boy was that rough.  

I'm playing the trace freight game this week and telling customers "It's just not moving."  
  • Options
    Best vibes to Defconn
    Congrats @charlotte989875, it’s a tough call but I think you’d make an awesome leader
    fingers crossed on your exam results @MissKittyDanger

Snowing here- the peak of grass on Tuesday was nice while it lasted.  Though we’re only expecting 6-8” this time. SSDD otherwise.
  • Options

We're assuming we'll need a new coffee maker probably within a year. We typically get keurig's because we really only have time often for 1 cup but M is thinking about this one so then he could have more than one cup if he's home, and/or take a cup to work if he's back in office.

Anyone have this?

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49980A-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B00EI7DPPI/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_pm?ac_md=3-0-VW5kZXIgJDc1-ac_d_pm&crid=2QIBG1I0UDRRS&cv_ct_cx=hamilton+beach+flexbrew+2-way+coffee+maker&dchild=1&keywords=hamilton+beach+flexbrew+2-way+coffee+maker&pd_rd_i=B00EI7DPPI&pd_rd_r=7b123932-f6af-492b-8ab1-9861b9292055&pd_rd_w=vjmMY&pd_rd_wg=0rukD&pf_rd_p=74e4217f-8726-4d6b-af71-a22323d374bb&pf_rd_r=4NJECNEVKDPG24W7HTM2&psc=1&qid=1613667088&sprefix=hamilton+beach+,aps,175&sr=1-1-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0

Sorry the link is so big, i can't figure out how to shorten it.  But we have had this for almost 7 years - daily use - and I love it because i can buy any coffee I want (I hate k-cups) but you have the option to do a full/half pot, or a single serve.  It's $60 and we've never had any issues. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:

Anyone have this?

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49980A-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B00EI7DPPI/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_pm?ac_md=3-0-VW5kZXIgJDc1-ac_d_pm&crid=2QIBG1I0UDRRS&cv_ct_cx=hamilton+beach+flexbrew+2-way+coffee+maker&dchild=1&keywords=hamilton+beach+flexbrew+2-way+coffee+maker&pd_rd_i=B00EI7DPPI&pd_rd_r=7b123932-f6af-492b-8ab1-9861b9292055&pd_rd_w=vjmMY&pd_rd_wg=0rukD&pf_rd_p=74e4217f-8726-4d6b-af71-a22323d374bb&pf_rd_r=4NJECNEVKDPG24W7HTM2&psc=1&qid=1613667088&sprefix=hamilton+beach+,aps,175&sr=1-1-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0

Sorry the link is so big, i can't figure out how to shorten it.  But we have had this for almost 7 years - daily use - and I love it because i can buy any coffee I want (I hate k-cups) but you have the option to do a full/half pot, or a single serve.  It's $60 and we've never had any issues. 
    Oh that's really neat! Does it use KCups? {I love some brands lol}
  • Options
    Casadena said:

Anyone have this?

It does not use K-cups, which i prefer.  But if you love k-cups it's maybe not the one for you.  I like being able to use the same coffee for a full pot as for a single serve. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    @short+sassy we are 5 miles from the CT coast and also have high insurance rates due to the proximity to the shoreline.  It's laughable because we're far more likely to have an oak fall on our home than we are to see a flood here but it's all based on proximity to water. 

This week can suck it.  I'm truly lucky that we have power and our home is built to withstand a New England winter.  Holyguacamole had no power for nearly two days and boy was that rough.  

I'm playing the trace freight game this week and telling customers "It's just not moving."  
    I was getting insurance quotes for one of my rental properties, though it was over the phone and not a local agent.  He emailed me a few options to look over.  Two of the options seemed identical to each other, except "A" was a little more expensive then "B".

I asked him the difference and he told me that A would cover perils that fall from above.  He joked that if a plane fell out of the sky and destroyed the property, it would cover that.  But then said "but no, really", this is the kind of expanded coverage you would need to cover a tree falling on the house or the roof caving in from the weight of snow.  I laughed and replied, "The weight of snow?  A plane falling on the house would be more likely!"

As an aside, there aren't any trees around that house either, so it was an easy choice for the cheaper plan. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Casadena said:

Anyone have this?

It does not use K-cups, which i prefer.  But if you love k-cups it's maybe not the one for you.  I like being able to use the same coffee for a full pot as for a single serve. 
    Found another Hamilton Beach that's similar but has KCup option! Cheaper for what I was looking at and does more!
  • Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2021
    MrsConn - Good thoughts for DefConn!

Charlotte - Go for it!  You would be great!

NB - You aren't crazy!  That sounds like a good potential age separation!  Good luck!

We are all home today with the snow/ice pellets that we have been rotating back and forth from.  I will have yoga later tonight, but there isn't anything else going on today!  
  • Options

Anyone have this?

I don't yet.  We currently have a typical single serve Keurig.  My H makes all of our coffee equipment decisions, because I think by now his bloodstream is probably part coffee, lol.  He has already declared that, whenever our Keurig breaks, he wants that same Keurig K Duo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Casadena said:

Anyone have this?

Found another Hamilton Beach that's similar but has KCup option! Cheaper for what I was looking at and does more!
    Perfect!  We've been so happy with this brand and i recommend it to everyone!
  • Options
    While we’re on the topic of appliances, does anyone have a suggestion for a blender?

Our Vitamix and Ninja both are heading to the graveyard
  • Options
    While we’re on the topic of appliances, does anyone have a suggestion for a blender?

Our Vitamix and Ninja both are heading to the graveyard
    Yes, only because I know people who have been purchasing recently lol

We have hamilton beach, but cuisinart and black and decker that are highly recommended
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    The appt took three hours!  But the specialist and staff were awesome.  They did a lot of in depth testing.  He has amblyopia (lazy eye, but the doc said he hates that term.  "Your eyes aren't lazy, they just need extra help to work correctly.").  We have a new glasses prescription and a follow up at the end of April.  

Doc wasn't too hard on the eyes either.  LOL 
    I like that term!

Also always good when the dr easy on the eyes ;)