Wedding Woes
Options

Prudie literally cannot answer this.

Dear Prudence,

I have been happily married to my wife for 20 years. I met her when she was in grad school. I’m a decade older than her and was working a successful career when we met. We hit it off right away and were married 18 months later. We have two kids and it has been a wonderful, mutually caring, supportive, loving relationship.

Recently, my wife began talking in glowing terms about “John,” a new male colleague. I thought nothing about it, but then discovered they had been texting frequently outside work hours, and not always about work. I asked her about it and she said it was just work-related inside jokes, funny memes, etc. A few weeks later, we had a casual conversation with my in-laws about buying a vacation property. My wife got excited and immediately started texting John about the possibility of buying the vacation home so that John and his wife could vacation with us. I asked point blank (but calmly) if she was having a physical or emotional affair with John. She denied it and said she understood why I was upset and that she should have talked to me further about the vacation home before discussing it with anyone else.  I believe her.

I don’t believe she is having a physical affair, but I remain worried she has slipped, or is slipping, into an emotional affair. They continue to text every day at all hours, including outside work in early morning and evenings. She continues to tell me they are just “good friends.” After I saw another text from John, she revealed that she had been talking to him about stressful issues at work and how they might be affecting her mental health. I conveyed that I was hurt that she hadn’t shared this, and she said she only talked to him first because he is a colleague and he understood the work issues she was going through, whereas I understand little about her field. This was cold comfort. I’m not sure where to go from here. Am I overreacting? Should I just take her at her word?

—Is She Having an Emotional Affair?

Re: Prudie literally cannot answer this.

• Options
    —Is She Having an Emotional Affair?

YES. 
  • Options
    Yah this seems more than just John is her work husband. 
  • Options
    Yeah, this isn't passing the smell test with regard to this being just a 'work friend'.  The whole, "Only John understands work stuff." is complete BS.  Just because you're not in the industry doesn't mean there isn't common ground related to work and things that come up that are pretty universal when you're a working person. 

However, I'm not sure attacking your spouse's close relationship with a co-worker is the way to 'fix' this.  LW may need to find a way to see how they can get wife's attention and engagement at home.  But if wife still won't stop with John and swears it's 'nothing', then LW needs to decide if they want to believe it or if it's time to figure out what to do next for themselves. 
  • Options
    And the spouse could be going through some Covid-related  trauma due to whatever did happen at work.  But if she can't see that this is pushing the husband away then there needs to be a bigger discussion happening. 

Because buying the house so they can all take vacations near each other is VERY Grace and Frankie to me. 
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2021
    There's nothing wrong with your wife having male friends, even ones that she is close to. But I have to agree that this relationship with John is going beyond that. If she's interacting with him more than you outside work hours, and always going to him with her troubles instead of you, that is probably an indication that this has become an emotional affair. The thing about the vacation house especially set off alarm bells for me - if she and John were just friends, I doubt that her first thought would've been to text him about you all vacationing together. 

You need to talk to her again, but don't be accusatory. Don't go into it as "Are you having an affair?" Instead, explain to her (even if you already have) that her relationship with John is making you uncomfortable and why. Tell her that you want to be there for her if she's having a hard time with work or anything else and that her going to John with those things shuts you out and hurts you. What comes next for you will depend on how she reacts and whether she steps back even a little from this thing with John. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2021
    As the title says... Prudie cannot possibly know this.  Unless she has access to LW wife’s texts....

wait DOES Prudie have access to all our phones?!? 🤔