Budget Weddings Forum
Options

How much does the average wedding cost??

Hey all. New to planning and new here, nice to meet you all. 

Im getting my budget in order and Im trying to break down my expenses correctly so I don’t get any big surprises later down the line. What does it cost to host a wedding properly? Would anyone be up for sharing what your cost per person is, approximately? I just want to get a general sense of how much the average wedding costs as we’re planning to pay for everything ourselves and need to start saving, I want to be a good host! Also how did you track your wedding budget, did you use a spreadsheet or an app? Did you include your rings in the budget or not?

Please share your advice on making a really good wedding cost breakdown!

Re: How much does the average wedding cost??

• Options
    geebee908geebee908 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2021
    First things first- do you have a set monetary amount you'd like to spend for your wedding? Then do you have a guest list, at least preliminary? What you can get for your money really depends on those numbers.

Low $, high guest count might mean you have an afternoon cake and punch/light refreshments reception. High $, low guest count might mean a full-service dinner reception with cocktail hour, DJ and/or band. The price per person for each of those scenarios is going to be much different. Area of the country matters also; high cost-of-living vs. low cost-of-living is going to factor in.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    It really depends on the area where you are and what type of wedding you want. A wedding in a big metropolitan area will cost more than one in a small town. A sit down black tie reception wedding will cost more than a finger food reception after an afternoon wedding. There are calculators that can help you with this type of thing - think there is one on the knot.

The important thing for you to remember is that if you are having a reception during a meal time, you must serve a meal. You don't have to serve alcohol. Everyone invited to the wedding must be invited to the reception. Set your budget before you choose your venue for your reception or make your guest list. Make your guest list before you choose your venue. You don't want to try to fit your guests in to a venue that is too small! Stick around here and ask questions. We are always willing to answer them! Welcome!
  • Options
    How much things cost greatly depends on where you're at geographically for planning the wedding.  A KC/VFW Hall with Chicken & Ham in-house in small town Americana is going to be significantly different than the same number of guests being served at just about any venue in NYC.  That's not a bad thing, it's just a reality thing.  

Start with your budget - how much can you realistically afford for a wedding without going into debt?  Next, write out your guest list including ALL names.  Start with your VIP's (People that if things were to shut down again, who are your top 15-25 people you couldn't imagine the day being spent without), next, your extended families (ALL names that would be invited), close friends, family friends, etc., leave a few openings for "Oh shoot we forgot cousin Jed - how was that possible 'cause he's my fav of all cousin's!" that happens..  THEN, add up the number as-if all would attend, choose a venue based on 100% of that number attending.  It is easier to have more than enough room than not enough room! 

Remember to watch out for the nickels and dimes!!!  "Service Fee", Minimums, Tips, Corkage, Cutting, Linens, delivery fees, etc. can sometimes double the price!  OTOH, rentals for things like tables & chairs, porta potty, tents, etc.  aren't cheap either and you should factor in guest comfort/individuals with known or unknown mobility issues.  All guests need to be served at the same level!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Since I had my wedding two years ago, I will share the budget for things I remember. I have selected a customized wedding venue with a Medieval theme. Thus the wedding venue costs almost $1.2k and I think we also got some reductions. About $11.5k for booking a restaurant for the reception, $ 1.4k for the wedding dress and the cake costs almost $700. I think everything had come under $17k. I have tried to cut down the cost of several things like DJ, flowers, honeymoon, hairstylist, etc.
  • Options
    I used a spreadsheet when I was planning my wedding and I included all the expenses.
  • Options
    As a wedding planner, I think that the average cost of a wedding in New Jersey is around $55,000. This includes both the ceremony and reception, as well as other associated costs like the wedding dress, photographer, flowers, etc
  • Options

Every year, The Knot Real Weddings Study reveals the average wedding cost and more official data per state. About 15,000 couples across the country, who married between January 1 and December 31, 2021, participated in the study. While in 2020 we saw the major impact of COVID on weddings, 2021 was a very different (and very welcome) story: Weddings are indeed back.

Based on our respondents' answers involving spend on ceremony and reception, the 2021 national average cost of a wedding is $28,000 ($34,000 including the engagement ring), the same as 2019's average wedding cost. For comparison, the average cost of a wedding in 2020, during the height of the pandemic, was $19,000.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    A wedding could cost between 20 lakhs to 5 crores. An individual in India is assessed to burn through one-fifth of the all-out abundance gathered in the course of his life on his wedding. From style architects, occasion organizers, and flower vendors to food providers, you want to enlist an effective group to make your exceptional day genuinely extraordinary.
  • Options
    Congrats on planning, Budgeting was tough. A few tips:

Costs really depend on location and what you want. We aimed for $150-200/person and went a bit over.

Tracking in a spreadsheet made budgeting easier vs an app. I broke it down by vendor/category to stay on track.

We included our rings in the overall budget. Best to plan all costs upfront so no surprises.

Don't skimp on food/drinks! Happy guests make for great memories and photos.

See if vendors offer package deals. We bundled catering/rentals to save 20%.

Best of luck with your planning!

• Options
    It feels like there's a million things to factor in, and everyone throws around numbers that can make your head spin.