Wedding Woes
Options

Wildly nervous Weds

2»

Re: Wildly nervous Weds

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Changing gears, related to the discussion we had a week or so ago on how businesses are handling the vaccine - Delta is now fining employees $200/mo if they do not get vaccinated:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/25/delta-air-lines-unvaccinated-employees-will-face-200-fees-if-they-dont-get-covid-vaccine.html 

The FDA approving the Pfizer vaccine was a big step.  I think that's the piece a lot of companies were waiting for to start requiring it for employment.  Here locally, Ochsner is a big medical conglomerate and that has been their stance.

I was reading Louisiana stats this morning and, after the FDA approval, there has been a big uptick in people making vaccine appointments.  The state is planning to order 70,000 more shots for next week than what they have previously been ordering, to cover the new increase average.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd rather they just did a mandate, but I don't hate it. H's company has a mandate. They told everyone whether their job requires them to go back to the office or not, they need to be vaccinated within 6 weeks of full FDA approval. So clock is ticking!

I was talking to my former manager yesterday. Neither of us think our company will be leading the pack for a mandate, but the big companies in Atlanta have been kind of lock step in pandemic response. I wonder if we'll do something like this instead. 
  • Options
    I'd rather they just did a mandate, but I don't hate it. H's company has a mandate. They told everyone whether their job requires them to go back to the office or not, they need to be vaccinated within 6 weeks of full FDA approval. So clock is ticking!

I was talking to my former manager yesterday. Neither of us think our company will be leading the pack for a mandate, but the big companies in Atlanta have been kind of lock step in pandemic response. I wonder if we'll do something like this instead. 
    It's interesting to see the companies that are forcing it with no opt out and no weekly testing (like NYC teachers) vs. Delta with this.  

I wonder if the thought is that penalizing will incentivize vs. termination? 
  • Options
    I'm glad to see the quickness with which certain industries and governmental agencies are telling their employees to get vaccinated or get out or be fined. I saw a story today where they interviewed local doctors and nurses that were frustrated with how many unvaccinated patients they're seeing and how compassion is hard when they're covid+ and still arguing with medical staff about the vaccine and conspiracy theories.  And of course, most the comments are just dragging the shit out of these poor people.  I hope they don't even look at the story/comments.   It's so infuriating.  I cannot imagine being a nurse and trying to help someone that has covid while they spout heinous, anti-science bullshit in one breath and want you to save them with experimental, unapproved treatments the next.  I'd be pretty fucking over it too if it was day after day going room by room hearing this constantly.  ON top of them probably having Faux News or OANN or whatever on their  TV's all day. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I'm glad to see the quickness with which certain industries and governmental agencies are telling their employees to get vaccinated or get out or be fined. I saw a story today where they interviewed local doctors and nurses that were frustrated with how many unvaccinated patients they're seeing and how compassion is hard when they're covid+ and still arguing with medical staff about the vaccine and conspiracy theories.  And of course, most the comments are just dragging the shit out of these poor people.  I hope they don't even look at the story/comments.   It's so infuriating.  I cannot imagine being a nurse and trying to help someone that has covid while they spout heinous, anti-science bullshit in one breath and want you to save them with experimental, unapproved treatments the next.  I'd be pretty fucking over it too if it was day after day going room by room hearing this constantly.  ON top of them probably having Faux News or OANN or whatever on their  TV's all day. 
    I know there are some "off" people out there in the world.

But it's still hard to imagine there are people out there refusing to take the vaccine, usually because of some form of "don't trust it".  But then get COVID, and are all, "Hey!  There are internet/media rumors that a deworming drug for animals (ivermectin) helps COVID.  I definitely need to get me some of that!"

OMG, it's for ANIMALS!!!!  There's never been a study done on humans.  Because it's not for humans.  How do we even get here?

Here's the real conspiracy question.  Does Tucker Carlson secretly own massive shares in whatever vet. drug company makes ivermectin?  Or is he doing it for his own s**ts and giggles?  Like his own personal test of his power with how outlandish of a claim can he make that people will still believe and act on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

But it's still hard to imagine there are people out there refusing to take the vaccine, usually because of some form of "don't trust it".  But then get COVID, and are all, "Hey!  There are internet/media rumors that a deworming drug for animals (ivermectin) helps COVID.  I definitely need to get me some of that!"

OMG, it's for ANIMALS!!!!  There's never been a study done on humans.  Because it's not for humans.  How do we even get here?

Here's the real conspiracy question.  Does Tucker Carlson secretly own massive shares in whatever vet. drug company makes ivermectin?  Or is he doing it for his own s**ts and giggles?  Like his own personal test of his power with how outlandish of a claim can he make that people will still believe and act on. 
    I think TC really wanted to be an actor and reached for the stars...unfortunately for the world, he landed at Fox News at the right time. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

It's interesting to see the companies that are forcing it with no opt out and no weekly testing (like NYC teachers) vs. Delta with this.  

I wonder if the thought is that penalizing will incentivize vs. termination? 
    Good question. Human motivations are weird. My more cynical side says the fine improves the bottom line, but it probably helps offset some of the costs associated with extra precautions and having employees out while they're sick or isolating. 

I wonder also if Delta is setting the stage for passengers. I heard a piece on NPR the other day about making the case for airlines to require vaccines, but it doesn't seem like one will unless they all do. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

There actually have been a couple of studies on humans. The human version of the drug, not the veterinary version. Link below is an analysis; there's no reliable findings of effectiveness. Of course, there's junk and biased studies that find a correlation. They're discredited, but when has that ever stopped conspiracy theorists?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34318930/