Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited August 2021 in Wedding Woes
So, the 3 old school knotties that are in NOLA have either posted on FB or I reached out to them.  I can only remember HE's handle though and I don't want to post their real names.  The only one I haven't heard from/seen (and I'm not her FB friend) is @short+sassy.  2 of them evacuated and have minimal damage to their homes, the other one rode it out and has minimal damage to their homes.  So far everyone seems to be okay.

SSDD here.  Paid off 2 small balance credit cards and made a big payment on another one.  Trying to move forward a little bit each day, working towards this move.  I am so ready for summer to be over though.  Since the AC was on the fritz a few times in this office building, it set off my heat sensitivity and this summer has been a struggle.  I've gone home sick 2 times from main job, and had to call in sick 2 times from 2nd job b/c of it.  I'm just over it.

Went and had dinner with my parents last night.  My mother is now texting, which is good and bad.  I set her up with Duo last night so they can do telehealth visits with the doctors if necessary.  She's adapting to the smartphone a lot better than I thought she would and that makes me happy.  Although I have to pay far more attention to who I'm texting now.  

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2021
    OH, I didn't have time to post yesterday, so I forgot.

Candyman is EXCELLENT.  I have never seen anything but the 1st one, but I adore the first one.  I had rewatched it a couple of weeks of weeks ago in preparation and I highly recommend doing that.  There is definitely a scene that is an "oh shit" moment and if you remember the first one, it's deliciously satisfying.

The political message is still there, in spades.  I hate to say it's "updated" b/c hey  shocking, racism/gentrification in America hasn't changed, but while the 1st one is still relevant, this one is more relevant, if that makes sense.  The last 15 minutes, my buddy and I were like, "OMG are they going there, OMG they're going there, and holy shit at how they went there."  I also like what they did to the mythology of Candyman; I think it was an excellent choice to keep the series going if they wanted to.  The art and photography in the movie is also really well done, with one exception.  The opening shot of the 1st one is an iconic movie moment, doing the one long overhead shot of Chicago from the rich portions to the ghetto portions.  They did an homage to it, but the shot was from the street level up.  I get what they were trying to do, but it really just didn't read right and I don't think if I had been familiar with the 1st one, I would've gotten it at all.

ETA: IDK why I put NYC, instead of Chicago.  It's fixed now.
  • Options
    @VarunaTT Glad you heard from others - are they okay? How is everything down there? :\
    Tbh I find the older gen are adapting to smartphones better in general than expected.
    My mum would try to text with an old phone and it was literally faster for her to call. Smartphone? So much faster.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger Sorry, I realized after I posted, I didn't tell anyone their statuses, so I did edit.  Here, "2 of them evacuated and have minimal damage to their homes, the other one rode it out and has minimal damage to their homes.  So far everyone seems to be okay."
  • Options
    So with my bday next Tuesday, my mum is doing a late in the day thing on Saturday. I know I'm getting at least a giftcard for the mall from my aunt and uncle - so I'm already trying to mentally shop.
    I need new clothes. Idk if I'm just not feeling certain things, my style is changing OR because I've gained some weight it just not fitting properly anymore {covid + depression = weight gain, unfortunately only time I've literally gained weight with depression *sigh* }

Anyways, I'm looking at a few stores to see what's out there. So expensive :( 

I may just buy a couple key items. I really just need tops - my pants are fine. I only buy from one place because the fit is just *chefs kiss*
  • Options
    Good luck @STARMOON44.  I know the one you didn't get over the summer was tough since you did all.the.interviews.  Fingers crossed the right opportunity, or two, comes along.  
  • Options
    Congrats, @mrsconn23! This is a good dilemma. Also good info on Costco. We're talking about going to Mexico in Feb for H's 50th.

@CharmedPam, are you FB friends with S+S? I'm sure she's ok, but still sending vibes.

Nothing much going on here. We're getting some storm bands so it's a lot cooler than normal and August can see its way out. 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Keeping up the positive vibes for S+S
    Gosh I'm sorry about the panic attack @mrsconn23
    Fingers crossed @STARMOON44 that sounds like a good plan!

I had forgotten how sweltering the beginning of the school year is.  I always wish for pumping AC the first few weeks and then the month of June.  Oh well.
    After work it's just going to be loving on the kids who have their first day tomorrow.
  • Options
    Congrats, @mrsconn23! This is a good dilemma. Also good info on Costco. We're talking about going to Mexico in Feb for H's 50th.

It's so, so easy.  They do have a limited selection of resorts they work with, but I'm going to Mexico to sit by a pool and drink all day.   I can pick a resort out of the 5-10 offered where I can do that and they will fit the bill, especially at that pricing.  LOL 

But have fun!!  That's a great plan for a bday trip, clearly.  :) 
  • Options
    My friend in NOLA also said she had minimal damage to her house. But they'll be staying at her in-laws for a while since they have no idea when power will be restored. 

SSDD here. Already ready for the long weekend. 
  • Options

Edit: and yay MrConn!  I’m glad your happy with the offer.  This is the 2nd shift job?
    Both jobs are 2nd shift to start.  He's probably going to be on it for at least a year, which we can manage.  One is much further from home, but it's the $$$ job. We're still debating.  

Job 1, we knew from the outset the shift, benefits, pay, expectations. 
    Job 2, it's been like pulling teeth...but now that we know and the salary blows #1 out of the water...it's making this a super hard decision. 

These companies are each other's direct competitors.  
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 any chance he could go back to company #1 and ask them if they could match or at least meet something comparable to the salary of #2?

• Options
    levioosa said:
    @mrsconn23 any chance he could go back to company #1 and ask them if they could match or at least meet something comparable to the salary of #2?
    He's contemplating that at the moment.  And then I guess it will depend on how bad they want him.  They acted like the pay he's getting is the absolute top for the position, but also he's their top candidate for the position.  So...yeah.  It keeps getting more interesting, LOL. 
  • Options
    I got a hold of @short+sassy and she’s still in New Orleans.  No power, electricity, phone etc but has water at least.  She’s ok! 
    So glad she's ok! Thanks for keeping us updated.
  • Options
    Thanks! @CharmedPam

glad you’re okay @short+sassy

• Options
    I got a hold of @short+sassy and she’s still in New Orleans.  No power, electricity, phone etc but has water at least.  She’s ok! 
    Yay, that's great news!  Thank you for checking. 
  • Options
    Very glad to hear that! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Congrats @mrsconn23 to your husband. Sorry about your panic attack.

• Options
    So glad to hear @short+sassy is fine. Thanks for letting us know, Pam.
  • Options
    SO glad to hear about @short+sassy
  • Options
    Glad you heard from S+S and she's doing as well as can be
  • Options
    So glad @short+sassy and dh are OK!
  • Options
    So glad to hear that @short+sassy is doing OK!  

I spoke to one client yesterday who stated that for his area this was a major wind event compared to Katrina which was a flood event.  He drove on the local highways home from Baton Rouge and there are still trees in the road.  
  • Options
    @CharmedPam Thank you for getting her! Glad @short+sassy is okay!
    Did she hear if anything is coming back at any point?
  • Options
    Thanks @CharmedPam and glad you're okay S+S
  • Options
    I don’t think they have an eta on that.  Usually it does take a long time :( last years tornadoes in the NY area had power down for a week!