Wedding Woes
Options

Not a Prudie

Saw this wedding related one on Ask a Manager, and couldn't not share it here. 

A reader writes:

My fiancé, “Ted,” has worked for 10 years on a small, very close-knit team, all of whom seem to get along exceptionally well. All the team members and spouses/partners socialize outside of work together as well, and we consider them all to be close friends. We thought they felt the same.

A few months ago, on the way to a work event, Ted and his coworker/best friend “Bob” were involved in a serious car accident and were rushed to the ER. Everyone waited anxiously for hours as they both underwent surgery. Thankfully, they both recovered.

When Ted returned to work, a team member, “Sally,” told him she had a confession to make. She said that while they had been in surgery, she prayed that if God had to let one of them die, she hoped it would be him. (WTF?!?)

Ted was shocked and asked why. He said she gushed on and on about what a “saint” Bob is. (Her examples were that Bob gives her great advice on her struggling marriage and has loaned her money when she was in a tight spot.) She finished by saying, “No disrespect to you, but Bob is in a class by himself. You have to admit you can’t measure up to that” and walked away.

Ted was truly devastated to learn that she felt this way, but he tried to attribute it to the stress of the situation and did his best to put it behind him. He never told anyone else on the team what she said and tried to continue on at work as if nothing had happened, but his relationship with Sally hasn’t recovered. He is still deeply wounded by her comments.

Although Ted appears to be a confident person, underneath he is fairly insecure. He truly thought Sally was a good friend. So in addition to causing him a lot of pain, this has also rattled his confidence. Now he’s wondering if all his team members secretly feel the way she does. Ted and Sally have always seemed to have a warm, cordial relationship and he can’t understand why she would say such a hurtful thing. Ted is now constantly measuring himself against Bob and questioning why he isn’t as “good.”

I suggested that perhaps Sally has a crush on Bob or feels closer to him for reasons that have nothing to do with Ted. But he is convinced that thinks she sees him as a “second tier” man and worries that others do too.

Our wedding is coming up soon and the venue strictly limits the number of guests. When it was time to send out invitations, Ted invited the rest of the team and their spouses but did not invite Sally and her husband. I expressed my concern that this would cause more problems, but he replied that since we could only have a limited numbers of guests, he’d prefer to spend our special day with another pair of close friends who “genuinely love and appreciate” us rather than a woman with whom his relationship is now severely strained.

Two weeks ago, I got a call from another team member, “Alice,” asking me if I had forgotten to send an invitation to Sally. I explained that because the venue is small, we simply couldn’t invite everyone.

Alice then told Ted that if we didn’t invite Sally, she and the other women on the team wouldn’t attend either. Ted told her that since the invitations have already gone out, there is no way to add Sally and her husband now unless we “uninvited” two other guests, which we can not do.

Now all the women on the team, including Sally, are freezing Ted out. They refuse to speak to him except when forced to, which is really starting to adversely impact the collaborative work the team does and hampering Ted’s ability to do his job. The men on the team have sided with Ted, saying they feel we have the right to invite (or not invite) whomever we want to our own wedding. This has caused an even further rift in the team.

Everyone is questioning Ted about why we didn’t invite Sally, but he doesn’t feel it’s his place to explain why he doesn’t want her to attend and just keeps repeating that the decision was due to the venue size limitations.

The manager of the team works at another site, and because the team has previously worked so well together, has historically been fairly hands-off, and is oblivious to what is happening now. But if the work continues to suffer, she’s going to notice and ask what’s going on.

What, if anything, should Ted do? Should he preemptively go to the manger to give her a heads/up, or will that make it even worse to be seen as “tattling”? Is there anything he can do to “fix” this on the team, before it erodes their work product even more?

I did weaken and called the venue, who grudgingly said they would be willing to accommodate one more couple. Should we break down and invite Sally to the wedding for the sake of harmony at work?

Re: Not a Prudie

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2021
    Yes.  Yes they should invite Sally.

This team is a working team that is close knit but they are a working team.  I think Ted missed some work etiquette rules in making this choice.   He's mixed business with pleasure and this can affect his work relationship with these people.  He's very naïve to think that this wasn't going to backfire on him.  He should have invited all or zero but to exclude just one person on the team was a piss poor decision. 

The time to address the situation with Sally was at the time and with HR present when Sally said she wished that if someone had to die that it be Ted.  This is passive-aggressive retaliatory behavior and frankly doesn't help to persuade me that Bob is the better person. 

Ted has a lot of growing up to do. 
  • Options
    Yikes.  All of this would have been avoided had he just invited everyone from the get-go.  Now, he’ll permanently have a rift between him and his female
     co-workers.  I guess send Sallty an invite now since you made the room for her - but awwwwwkward.

also, Sally is a peice of work herself.  Who would verbally say anything? Her marriage is failing? Why? She seems like a peach. 

Our office is small so even I know it’s ALL coworkers or none.  

• Options
    Yo, what the fuck is wrong with Sally for saying something like that to Ted? Honestly I wouldn't invite her either if she said such hurtful things to me. Being in a car accident where surgery is required had to be traumatic. And then to have your co-worker say something like this??

And I'd have a really hard time not sharing with Alice that Sally had done something to severely fracture the friendship, and therefor wasn't extended an invite. 

Also who the fuck tries to strongarm a person into inviting a coworker to their wedding? Alice is fucked up too. It's ultimately Ted's decision. 
    Oh it's seriously wrong for Sally to say it too!  It's a sign that the office is honestly not that close and clearly there are some hidden relationships that are happening that Ted is completely unaware of.

But considering that he didn't address the issue and opted to use the wedding invitation as the the time to do it, what did he honestly expect would come from him doing this?
  • Options
    I kind of give Ted a pass for not addressing the comment in the moment. Or even right after. Who knows what kind of surgery he had, what the recovery was, etc. When you're in the middle of a traumatic situation, sometimes it's hard to even process other things happening in the background. 
  • Options
    This is one of those things where I think "close knit team of coworkers" translates to toxic AF. 

Basically everyone sucks, but if I was LW I would have totally told Alice what Sally had said, just before I chewed her ass out for calling me to ask for an invitation. 
    Right. 

It's why I think Ted has growing up to do.  This wasn't going to go unnoticed if they're so close.  So what did he expect was going to come from this?  If they're close they're going to be sad for the missing person.  I'm not sure what his end game is. 

That said, if I were Ted I'd be shopping for a new job.
  • Options
    This is one of those things where I think "close knit team of coworkers" translates to toxic AF. 

Basically everyone sucks, but if I was LW I would have totally told Alice what Sally had said, just before I chewed her ass out for calling me to ask for an invitation. 
    THIS!!  Because LW doesn't have any skin in the game and it'd put "Chatty Cathy-Alice" into making an informed choice of stick with Ted's story for cohesiveness at the office or just how rude it is to ask for an invitation for another individual who would go so far as to pray for in this case, the groom, to be DEAD..  Alice should have had the beans spilled to her of what Sally had said even if in a moment of stress because lines had to be drawn for space and that's a pretty good one to have drawn work relationship or not.
  • Options
    Sally sounds so "off" in a number of ways.  It's fine she prefers Bob to Ted.  Even in close friend or work groups, there are going to be people you feel closer to than others.  But who even thinks to say prayers like that?  I'd be praying hard both of my coworkers survive and are okay.  Not making weird deals with God that "if he's going to take one, make sure it's Ted."  What?

Okay, fine.  That is what Sally did.  We can't police people's thoughts.  But why, why, why on God's green earth would she have told that to Ted.  Especially considering what he had just gone through.  That's just abject cruelty for no reason at all.  And for what?  To assuage her guilt a little?

But then Ted was wrong for inviting all of his coworkers, but not Sally.  If their venue was so limited anyway, they should have invited no coworkers if they didn't want Sally there.  I even think inviting one or two coworkers that Ted is closest to probably would have been okay.  But excluding one person from a group is pretty glaring.

And LOOK at the result!  He ruined what was once a great, well-functioning team of coworkers.  I agree he shouldn't go into details about why he didn't invite Sally but, at this point, I think he needs to 'fess up with a generalization that he hadn't wanted to get into it, but he and Sally had a falling out and he wasn't comfortable having her at his wedding.  At least that is more of a real explanation and probably can't hurt anything worse.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sally sounds so "off" in a number of ways.  It's fine she prefers Bob to Ted.  Even in close friend or work groups, there are going to be people you feel closer to than others.  But who even thinks to say prayers like that?  I'd be praying hard both of my coworkers survive and are okay.  Not making weird deals with God that "if he's going to take one, make sure it's Ted."  What?
    Good point.  Why did it have to be one over another?

• Options
    Yeah, I wondered that as well about what Sally said. Why would it be only one of them surviving? How strange? 

Also I would argue that they were probably never a great, well functioning team. It seems toxic. Sally sharing these thoughts, Alice calling the bride - not even her coworker Ted! 
  • Options
    "she prayed to God that if one of them had to die..."  Huh???  That's bizarre and there's no way I'd invite her even though the "team" is "close".  I'm conflicted on PP advice to say "ask Sally why" and PP advice to tell them myself, but I'd definitely make sure the other coworkers knew that Sally started it.  Glad Ted (and Bob) are both okay.