Wedding Woes

Friday

First Friday of 2022!  This is the boys first full week back at school in like 2 months.  Fingers crossed everyone stays healthy for awhile.  We're having homemade pizza in front of the TV for dinner tonight -very excited.  

I took myself out for a leisurely working breakfast this morning at the diner near our house.  It's nice to have a change of scenery and super great omelet.  The coffee isn't great, but that's part of the charm?

I have a plugged duct that i'm working out and it hurts like a mofo.  I'm starting to wean from nursing/pumping and it's clearly not going well (for me) so far.  

H and I have our first couples therapy appointment on Tuesday and I'm really really excited about it.  What's everyone else up to?

charlotte989875mrsconn23levioosamissJeanLouisekvrunsMyNameIsNotshort+sassyMNNEBride

Re: Friday

• Good luck with the plugged duct!  Those hurt and can lead to mastitis!  

It snowed and the kids have no school.  I'm loving the break from the Omicron-filled schools and hoping it buys us a few more days. 

charlotte989875MNNEBride
  • Guys my bff T - who had a rough December - not only passed her G2 license, BUT SHE GOT 100%!!!
    I'm in a group chat with both my bff's, {T & A} and we've been like cheering for her going on like 30mins now lol

Her December for reference
    - failed G2
    - got in car accident {nothing major but her car was old enough they wrote it off}
    - youngest kid high risk covid
    - couldn't see ANY family for holidays
    - having to re-practice on their van {van vs car is such a difference}

I'm so proud of her!
    kvrunsshort+sassykerbohl
  • I have been up off and on since 3:45am because our furnace decided to start making an AWFUL chugging sound, like an off-balance washer.  Google tells me it's a fan repair issue.  We have an appt for between 12 and 6 this afternoon (glad I work from home with that window).  Crossing crossables it's not $$$$.  DH put towels over the vents to muffle the sound while we slept. I have the thermostat way down so it doesn't kick on and cause more damage before they can look at it.  We have a two infrared heaters (one upstairs and one downstairs) and I have a ceramic heater running in my office. And I've layered up.  But I am tired AF because I slept fitfully from 4am-7am due to the noise and the stress of it all. 

DH got up to go to the gym right after the furnace issue and he came home way before I expected him to be back.  He apparently bashed his knee on a piece of equipment.  I think he's just going to be sore a couple of days.  

We don't have too much going on this weekend.  I may work some OT.  I think it's supposed to get out of the single digits and be in the 30's/40's. But of course it's going to rain.  Ugh.  
    charlotte989875MNNEBride
  • I have a plumber here for a new water heater. Apparently it has been leaking and while it can continue to leak for years, you just never know.  I didn't get a home warranty with the house (seller's don't include them anymore) because I only ever know people having trouble getting stuff fixed with them. Of course now I'm eating my words with a replacement that is more than double what a warranty would have been :( 
    charlotte989875MNNEBride
  • kvruns said:
    I have a plumber here for a new water heater. Apparently it has been leaking and while it can continue to leak for years, you just never know.  I didn't get a home warranty with the house (seller's don't include them anymore) because I only ever know people having trouble getting stuff fixed with them. Of course now I'm eating my words with a replacement that is more than double what a warranty would have been :( 
    If it makes you feel any better, we’re canceling ours because it has been such a PITA to get anything fixed or covered. They turn one easy fix into 3 appointments and charge an amount each time they come out. They’ve cancelled the open claims and made us reopen it even though they are the ones who have taken so long to respond. For all that we’ve spent over the years we could have opened a separate savings account and put that money there and had way less of a hassle and headache. 

short+sassygeebee908kvruns
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2022
    @mrsconn23 how awful! That’s so annoying. Vibes for a low cost fix.
    @kvruns, sorry for the new water heater. I have to look into it, but I don’t think I had a home warranty either. 
    @levioosa so glad you had a great stay home and reconnected 

how many “cycles” does your coffee machine take to descale?  I’ve filled the tank 3 times already and it’s still telling me it needs descaling! This doesn’t seem right! I’ve already given up on my coffee today.

• We finally have some snow! Not much, but enough to take the baby out to play. No big plans for the weekend- nieces birthday pizza/cake tonight but that’s really about it. We are boring people now. 
    levioosa
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2022
    kvruns said:
    I have a plumber here for a new water heater. Apparently it has been leaking and while it can continue to leak for years, you just never know.  I didn't get a home warranty with the house (seller's don't include them anymore) because I only ever know people having trouble getting stuff fixed with them. Of course now I'm eating my words with a replacement that is more than double what a warranty would have been :( 
    FWIW, I have a really bad opinion about home warranties.  It's one of those industries that especially screws their customers over.  I personally have never had one, but I knew one person IRL who had one and have read reviews about them.  Here is what usually happens, including to my friend:

1)  You call for a repair/replacement.
    2)  They send one of their authorized reps to your home.  But they have limited reps in the area.  So the company and yourself are subject to a rep's availability.  You're super lucky if you can even get someone to come out the same week.
    3)  Don't forget!  It's not free.  It's a $75 service call (the cost varies by company) for each repair and sometimes even each visit.
    4)  The service rep finally arrives.  Oh!  I'm sorry!  Did you think they were actually going to fix the problem while they were there?  Oh no, no, no.  They are just diagnosing the problem.
    5)  Another wait for them to come back and fix the problem.
    6)  Even if you and the rep agree that what really needs to happen is a replacement, if there is any possible way for the rep to use just a band aid repair to keep it going a little bit longer, then that is the only thing the warranty company will authorize.
    7)  So prepare to go through all of this again, a few months from now when the item breaks again.

My friend's story was there was something wrong with his fairly new oven and it was no longer working.  It was three weeks before his oven was finally repaired and it cost him $225 in service calls.

Edited to add:  I was writing my post before I saw @levioosa's, lol.  Yep.  That's the way these companies work. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay for Friday! Even though it was only a 4 day week, it feels like it's been a long one. It should be a chill weekend here. Tonight we'll just cook, make a fire, and veg on the couch. Tomorrow this guy is supposed to come install a new ceiling fan in the den. Normally we'd just diy, but the vaulted ceiling is too high to reach even with our big ladder. I'm super excited that it is the second to last tacky 80s brass thing in the house. I also want to get in a couple of short hikes in the on-going process of breaking in my boots. Other than that it's sleep and chores. 
    MNNEBridecharlotte989875
  • I am excited today!  My H gave me a bit of a break.

Between my H and I yesterday, we got most of our weekly Costco scanning done.  He told me he'd take care of the rest of it today, so I can just head home when I get off work.

I'm planning on a glorious afternoon of lounging around and will be off work in about 30 minutes.

He hasn't gotten his booster yet, so that is on the docket for either today or tomorrow.  It's only been about 8 months since he had his second shot anyway. He's actually tried twice at Winn Dixie, but they were out of Moderna both times.  I know the CDC has said the booster shots can be mixed but, since it is normally just as easy to get Moderna, that's his preference and I can understand it.  We're either going to try and make an appointment this time or use a different pharmacy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 how awful! That’s so annoying. Vibes for a low cost fix.
    @kvruns, sorry for the new water heater. I have to look into it, but I don’t think I had a home warranty either. 
    @levioosa so glad you had a great stay home and reconnected 

how many “cycles” does your coffee machine take to descale?  I’ve filled the tank 3 times already and it’s still telling me it needs descaling! This doesn’t seem right! I’ve already given up on my coffee today.
    Are you descaling a Keurig?  The first time my husband descaled ours, the descaling light stayed on.  He read the instructions (online) more carefully and realized he was missing a step that was the trigger to turn off the light.  He's not here to ask, sorry.

No big plans for the weekend.  I need to get the totes in from the garage so Christmas can be put away.  I have cleaners coming Weds and would like those things out of the way.  Always sad to take down the tree (mostly because I like the lights!).  We need to make a grocery & Walmart run.  It's supposed to warm up to double digit temps on Saturday - yay!
  • Yup @short+sassy. That’s exactly how it is. And it’s making FI lose his mind. 

MyNameIsNot
  • kvruns said:
    FWIW, I have a really bad opinion about home warranties.  It's one of those industries that especially screws their customers over.  I personally have never had one, but I knew one person IRL who had one and have read reviews about them.  Here is what usually happens, including to my friend:

1)  You call for a repair/replacement.
    2)  They send one of their authorized reps to your home.  But they have limited reps in the area.  So the company and yourself are subject to a rep's availability.  You're super lucky if you can even get someone to come out the same week.
    3)  Don't forget!  It's not free.  It's a $75 service call (the cost varies by company) for each repair and sometimes even each visit.
    4)  The service rep finally arrives.  Oh!  I'm sorry!  Did you think they were actually going to fix the problem while they were there?  Oh no, no, no.  They are just diagnosing the problem.
    5)  Another wait for them to come back and fix the problem.
    6)  Even if you and the rep agree that what really needs to happen is a replacement, if there is any possible way for the rep to use just a band aid repair to keep it going a little bit longer, then that is the only thing the warranty company will authorize.
    7)  So prepare to go through all of this again, a few months from now when the item breaks again.

My friend's story was there was something wrong with his fairly new oven and it was no longer working.  It was three weeks before his oven was finally repaired and it cost him $225 in service calls.

Edited to add:  I was writing my post before I saw @levioosa's, lol.  Yep.  That's the way these companies work. 
    That was pretty much my experience. We got the seller to buy one when we bought this house. A few months in, the pilot on one of the stove burners was doing this weird clicking thing after you light it. Call the company, $75 and a video appointment a few days later. Guy watches it on facetime and says he needs to come out; that's another week. Guy comes out, sees the problem in 10 minutes. Tells me office will call for repair appointment. Same guy comes back for repair appointment a week later and says he can't get to the problem unless I remove part of the cabinet trim, and he can't do it. Reschedule a week later; H and I do the trim. Guy takes the stove out and decides he needs a part. Another week, he comes back and installs the part but problem is not solved. He tries a bunch of other stuff, then decides the unit is faulty and will need to be replaced, but he has to get a second opinion. Wait another week for this other dude. Other dude comes out and says that's how it's supposed to be. (WTF? No it's not!) I complained, so they sent dude #1 back out to fiddle around with it again. He pretty much told me that there weren't any other options and company wasn't going to pay for a replacement. I complained to the warranty company again, but by that point my year was expired and I'd refused to renew, so they told me to eat shit. 

So now I just don't use that burner. 
  • Yes it is a kureg @MNNEBride! Ah! And I’m notorious for not reading directions!

• Yes it is a kureg @MNNEBride! Ah! And I’m notorious for not reading directions!
    LOL you and my DH :wink:
  • Instructions are stoopid.

also, I collaged up my PCDC treatments if anyone is interested in seeing them (working hard from home lol)

PCDC “lipo dissolve” injections - 7 months in the making (5 treatments I think? Maybe I only did 4…)
    $2,000. It’s a one time fee. 
    Sorry about the zitty before
    eta: the complete chin area is jowels/submental and broken into two.  I only did the submental, but I’m considering of going back for the jowels for more definition.  There is major swelling for 4 days after it though, which I hate.  You probably remember me complaining about that. 
    Wow thank you for sharing!!
  • Looks great @CharmedPam

That's some good luck! @mrsconn23
    mrsconn23
  • Yay about the furnace! @mrsconn23

looks great! @CharmedPam

My mom’s test just came back positive. Ugh. 

• Oh no @levioosa.  How is she feeling?  I hope she has mild symptoms. 
  • Thanks!

phew @mrsconn23, glad it was only a service call
    @levioosa sorry to hear that :(

mrsconn23
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Oh no @levioosa.  How is she feeling?  I hope she has mild symptoms. 
    She has felt pretty terrible with body and joint aches, sinus infection type symptoms. My aunt has probably had the worst of it. She said even her hair hurt. 

• that's great it was an easy fix @mrsconn23

Both S+S and Leviosa's descriptions are why I opted against a warranty.  My brother still has one 8 years later which I find so odd. He told me yesterday he does it because he'd rather pay the $40/month when he doesn't always have the $$$ for a big repair if needed so he likes doing it this way to be safe.  He had to wait over a week this past summer on the hottest time when his A/C went out. I'd much prefer to take on debt if I had to than wait a week in the 90s!

• kvruns said:
    that's great it was an easy fix @mrsconn23

Both S+S and Leviosa's descriptions are why I opted against a warranty.  My brother still has one 8 years later which I find so odd. He told me yesterday he does it because he'd rather pay the $40/month when he doesn't always have the $$$ for a big repair if needed so he likes doing it this way to be safe.  He had to wait over a week this past summer on the hottest time when his A/C went out. I'd much prefer to take on debt if I had to than wait a week in the 90s!

Especially when you may be in debt regardless!