Destination Weddings Discussions

Am I Overthinking Communication with my Wedding Planner?

I've recently signed with a wedding planner about three weeks ago. My fiance and I are going to look at venues in April in Mexico. So far our wedding planning team has only sent us one proposal, and they take what feels like forever to answer back (about 2-3 days) for simple questions. For example, rescheduling a meeting with them and finding out if 7 pm is okay, won't be answered for days for 2 days. I assume this is a relatively easy question. In interviewing wedding planners I was able to receive 3 proposals for 3 different venues from another wedding planner in about a week and a half, this was before we even signed.

Since the discovery call, we haven't talked more in-depth about what I am looking for in my design style. They just asked for inspo pictures once we signed with them. I'm trying to set up another call to talk more about what I want just so they don't waste their time sending me places I'm not interested in or don't fit my aesthetic.

The first few weeks are not making me feel very confident in our choice of a wedding planning team. I feel like cutting my losses already and working with someone else. I know wedding planners have other things going on, but I feel like I could have been sent a few more venues or proposals by now. Maybe if the communication was better then it might not bother me that after three weeks of being with them I have nothing to show for it. I'd rather move on now than be stressed and stuck with them closer to the wedding. I keep telling myself it's not too late to choose someone else. I know my fiance will think I'm insane because we've waisted 5k when signing with them.

Am I overthinking this?

Re: Am I Overthinking Communication with my Wedding Planner?

• I've recently signed with a wedding planner about three weeks ago. My fiance and I are going to look at venues in April in Mexico. So far our wedding planning team has only sent us one proposal, and they take what feels like forever to answer back (about 2-3 days) for simple questions. For example, rescheduling a meeting with them and finding out if 7 pm is okay, won't be answered for days for 2 days. I assume this is a relatively easy question. In interviewing wedding planners I was able to receive 3 proposals for 3 different venues from another wedding planner in about a week and a half, this was before we even signed.

Since the discovery call, we haven't talked more in-depth about what I am looking for in my design style. They just asked for inspo pictures once we signed with them. I'm trying to set up another call to talk more about what I want just so they don't waste their time sending me places I'm not interested in or don't fit my aesthetic.

The first few weeks are not making me feel very confident in our choice of a wedding planning team. I feel like cutting my losses already and working with someone else. I know wedding planners have other things going on, but I feel like I could have been sent a few more venues or proposals by now. Maybe if the communication was better then it might not bother me that after three weeks of being with them I have nothing to show for it. I'd rather move on now than be stressed and stuck with them closer to the wedding. I keep telling myself it's not too late to choose someone else. I know my fiance will think I'm insane because we've waisted 5k when signing with them.

Am I overthinking this?

I have some questions- you’re talking about traveling to Mexico in April to look at venues, right? Not get married then? 

If that’s the case then I think you can relax a bit here. 2-3 days isn’t terrible not to hear back from someone. Yes, quicker responses would be better but they are responding to you so it’s not that they are blowing you off. When you signed with them did they say you would receive suggested venues before your trip to visit? What did you agree to in the contract? 

They’re likely involved with weddings that are happening this weekend and that’s a higher priority than suggestions 4-8 weeks ahead of a visit to tour venues. I think it’s reasonable to set up another call so you know what to expect and they know what you’re looking for. 

If you’ve already spent $5,000 on this I’d hesitate to just throw that away because someone is taking 2-3 days to email back. Heck, people I work with take up to a week to respond and it’s fine. Take a deep breath, schedule a follow up, and try to see the bigger picture here. They’re in touch with you, they’re preparing for you to see venues, but you’re not the only client they are working with. 
  • Yes, April 2022 visit for an April 2023/2023 wedding.

I just thought I'd have more options at this point to look at. 
  • I think you need to ask them what their average response time is but I agree with @charlotte989875.  It's a peak time for them so their focused on their current but not future clients and they sent you a proposal in February over 4 weeks before you'd likely be going. 
  • Hi! This is my fear with a resort I was thinking of. Can I ask which ones you plan on visiting? I’m so overwhelmed with reviews. 
  • edited May 2023
    Overall, I would say a 2–3 day response rate is not ideal but not terrible. If you were getting radio silence for a week or more, that's more concerning. I've learned that you have to trust your selection, even if you're used to doing more on your own. You vetted them, so give them a chance to perform. 

One thing that has been helpful for me is to know what my planner's work hours are. When we first started with our planner, I was expecting 24/7 contact and then I realized that she's a mom and a person and works in shifts just like me. I would see if you can find out what the typical working hours for your planner are. You might be able to get an idea based on the times they respond.

Also, remember that they may have a wedding at any point and at that time, you are not their first priority. If that bothers you, remember that on your wedding day, you would not want them prioritizing other clients over you. And, April is prime wedding season in Mexico. So everyone in the wedding industry is busier then.  
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Overall, I would say a 2–3 day response rate is not ideal but not terrible. If you were getting radio silence for a week or more, that's more concerning. I've learned that you have to trust your selection, even if you're used to doing more on your own. You vetted them, so give them a chance to perform. 

One thing that has been helpful for me is to know what my planner's work hours are. When we first started with our planner, I was expecting 24/7 contact and then I realized that she's a mom and a person and works in shifts just like me. I would see if you can find out what the typical working hours for your planner are. You might be able to get an idea based on the times they respond.

Also, remember that they may have a wedding at any point and at that time, you are not their first priority. If that bothers you, remember that on your wedding day, you would not want them prioritizing other clients over you. And, April is prime wedding season in Mexico. So everyone in the wedding industry is busier then.  

Welcome to the Knot.  Please be sure to check not only the initial date of the post, but also the date of the last comment made.  As you can see, this post is a year old.  It is considered a dead/zombie thread. 

• Your concerns about your wedding planner's responsiveness and the progress of your wedding planning are valid, and it's essential to address them early in the process to ensure a smooth and stress-free experience. It's natural to have high expectations when you've invested in a wedding planner, and clear communication and prompt responses are crucial in such a collaborative effort. Here are some steps to consider:

1. Have a Conversation: Schedule a meeting or call with your wedding planner to discuss your concerns openly and honestly. Share your expectations for communication, responsiveness, and the pace of the planning process.

2. Clarify Expectations: Ensure that both you and your wedding planner have a clear understanding of your vision, preferences, and priorities for your wedding. Discuss your design style, venue preferences, and any other crucial details.

3. Request a Timeline: Ask for a timeline or schedule of when you can expect to receive proposals, updates, and responses to your questions. Having a clear timeline can help manage your expectations and reduce frustration.

4. Discuss Design in Detail: Set up a meeting specifically focused on the design and aesthetics of your wedding. Share inspiration images, color palettes, and any specific design elements you have in mind. This will help your wedding planner better align with your vision.

5. Evaluate Communication: Express the importance of timely communication and request that your wedding planner improves their response time. Clarify preferred methods of communication, whether it's email, phone calls, or video chats.

6. Consider Your Gut Feeling: Trust your instincts. If, after addressing your concerns and discussing your expectations, you still feel uneasy or unsatisfied with your wedding planner's approach, it might be worth exploring other options.

7. Review Your Contract: Carefully review the contract you signed with your wedding planner to understand any terms related to canceling the agreement or making changes to the scope of their services. Keep in mind that there may be cancellation fees or clauses to consider.

8. Consult Your Fiancé: Discuss your concerns with your fiancé and seek their input. It's essential that you both feel comfortable and confident in your choice of a wedding planner.

Remember that your wedding is a significant and special event, and it's crucial to work with professionals who understand and prioritize your needs and preferences. If, after addressing your concerns and giving your wedding planner an opportunity to improve, you still feel unsatisfied, it's not unreasonable to consider exploring other options. Ultimately, your peace of mind and confidence in your wedding planning team are paramount.