Wedding Woes

Hump Day

2»

Re: Hump Day

• Good luck, @levioosa!  At least there are a couple potentials now and I hope a job offer comes from the new company, so you don't even have to go back to the old one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The big news in our house this week is that we've decided to cut the cord and will go streaming for TV.  I know we're late to the game. We'll keep cable internet but go with YouTube TV.  My DH is a huge TV watcher so we've had a free trial for a week to see if he likes it.  I like it a lot and enjoy that we can get all the same channels/shows on our bedroom tv.  We use a Roku with that one and I usually watch Netflix in there.  We live such an exciting life lol.
  • banana468 said:
    FWIW we do not rent to dog owners.  

Our condo has had to tighten the rules.  The complex is small and has 16 units including ours that we rent.  Over time, the number of tenants who had dogs increased and they just did not pick up after their dogs outside.  The rest of the tenants would talk about how they could not walk on the grass without stepping in the dog excrement.  There was no amount of asking nicely that got people to comply so now the answer is no dogs allowed.

People don't!  That and potential barking is the biggest reason I'm hesitant to allow dogs at all for my multi-families.  But I do because, if I don't, I'm potentially cutting out a lot of potential renters.

Potential tenants assume that "damage" is the concern.  But it's really not, at least for me, because I don't have carpets in any of my properties anyway.

I've had a number of tenants with dogs and only two of them have ever caused any damage.  Both times it was minor.  For one of those tenants, it was clawing and chewing on the front door frame.  But, a few days before they were moving out, she asked if it was okay for her to try and fix it so we didn't take it out of her security.  We told her that was fine.

Wow, she was awesome!  The door frame already had some small nicks and gouges that were higher and not from her dog.  She told me she fixed those also, since she was already working on the door frame.  She did a perfect job and the door frame looked even better than when they had moved in and nothing else was wrong, so I was glad I could give them their whole SD back.

Listen to what some apartment complexes (ACs) have been doing.  It's becoming more and more popular for ACs to require a dog's "sample" from their tenants.  Then, if feces are found on the property, they are sent in for DNA testing.  And that tenant has a large fee to pay.

It sounds so crazy.  But from the forums I've read, the people who seem to love it the most are actually the tenants living there.  Because it almost instantly and dramatically cuts down on the poop left everywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

Our condo has had to tighten the rules.  The complex is small and has 16 units including ours that we rent.  Over time, the number of tenants who had dogs increased and they just did not pick up after their dogs outside.  The rest of the tenants would talk about how they could not walk on the grass without stepping in the dog excrement.  There was no amount of asking nicely that got people to comply so now the answer is no dogs allowed.

People don't!  That and potential barking is the biggest reason I'm hesitant to allow dogs at all for my multi-families.  But I do because, if I don't, I'm potentially cutting out a lot of potential renters.

Potential tenants assume that "damage" is the concern.  But it's really not, at least for me, because I don't have carpets in any of my properties anyway.

I've had a number of tenants with dogs and only two of them have ever caused any damage.  Both times it was minor.  For one of those tenants, it was clawing and chewing on the front door frame.  But, a few days before they were moving out, she asked if it was okay for her to try and fix it so we didn't take it out of her security.  We told her that was fine.

Wow, she was awesome!  The door frame already had some small nicks and gouges that were higher and not from her dog.  She told me she fixed those also, since she was already working on the door frame.  She did a perfect job and the door frame looked even better than when they had moved in and nothing else was wrong, so I was glad I could give them their whole SD back.

Listen to what some apartment complexes (ACs) have been doing.  It's becoming more and more popular for ACs to require a dog's "sample" from their tenants.  Then, if feces are found on the property, they are sent in for DNA testing.  And that tenant has a large fee to pay.

It sounds so crazy.  But from the forums I've read, the people who seem to love it the most are actually the tenants living there.  Because it almost instantly and dramatically cuts down on the poop left everywhere.
    One of my friends lives in a building that does that and they all think it is crazy, but there is also never poop anywhere in the complex’s grounds. 
  • MNNEBride said:
    The big news in our house this week is that we've decided to cut the cord and will go streaming for TV.  I know we're late to the game. We'll keep cable internet but go with YouTube TV.  My DH is a huge TV watcher so we've had a free trial for a week to see if he likes it.  I like it a lot and enjoy that we can get all the same channels/shows on our bedroom tv.  We use a Roku with that one and I usually watch Netflix in there.  We live such an exciting life lol.
    All I do is watch TV.  Eat and watch TV.  I cut cable a year ago and every channel I ever want is on some streaming app somewhere.  I miss cable TV 0%.  You made the right choice. 

• banana468 said:

One of my friends lives in a building that does that and they all think it is crazy, but there is also never poop anywhere in the complex’s grounds. 
    If the condo was big enough that would be one thought.  This way it's unfortunate but the overwhelming answer is  no dogs.  
  • I actually wish my old building had done that re: dog poop. So many people didn't pick up after their pets, and it's so obnoxious. There were numerous stations with poop bags too. No excuse!! 
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2022
    ei34 said:
    I was renting in a building years ago that had a "no dogs" policy except for dogs that were grandfathered in before the policy.  There was a (lovely) couple in the building who'd been there for years, and they had these three small white (maybe yorkie?  I'm not great with the smaller dog breeds) dogs...the pups were as friendly as the owners and they got walked ALL the time, so even though I was working full-time and in grad school I saw them at least a few times a week in passing. 
    One day another neighbor told me that these weren't the original dogs...the no dog policy had went into effect over 20 years ago and the owners would immediately replace a deceased dog with a new one.  Another neighbor who'd lived there forever  said it had originally been two dogs, no one even knows when the couple added a third.  Even the super loved the couple & their dogs and turned a blind eye.  Lol...all the dogs + apartment living reminds me of that family.  I'm sure they still have 3 white yorkies but I doubt it's the same ones I knew  :D
    That's hilarious!  I did have my neighbour the other day comment on my two rabbits, and I mentioned I had three.  But the two white ones are never out together, and apparently you can't tell them apart.  It would be so easy to just keep replacing them with lookalikes apparently.  
    I really dislike people that don't clean up after their dogs.  It is just a simple thing to do and it makes a huge difference.  I always have a bag, and I prefer to throw it out at home.

Edited because it double quoted.

• ei34 said:
    I was renting in a building years ago that had a "no dogs" policy except for dogs that were grandfathered in before the policy.  There was a (lovely) couple in the building who'd been there for years, and they had these three small white (maybe yorkie?  I'm not great with the smaller dog breeds) dogs...the pups were as friendly as the owners and they got walked ALL the time, so even though I was working full-time and in grad school I saw them at least a few times a week in passing. 
    One day another neighbor told me that these weren't the original dogs...the no dog policy had went into effect over 20 years ago and the owners would immediately replace a deceased dog with a new one.  Another neighbor who'd lived there forever  said it had originally been two dogs, no one even knows when the couple added a third.  Even the super loved the couple & their dogs and turned a blind eye.  Lol...all the dogs + apartment living reminds me of that family.  I'm sure they still have 3 white yorkies but I doubt it's the same ones I knew  :D
    Not a dog, but at the place I was renting before I bought my house, the neighbor on the other side of our duplex had the friendliest cat I have ever met.

He was an inside/outside cat, but was usually outside.  My H and I loved him and always gave him gratuitous pets when we saw him.

He happened to be outside on the porch a few times when I was leaving my house to go to work in the morning.  Of course, he got pets.  It wasn't long before every time I opened the door in the morning, he was waiting right next to it.  It was so sweet and started my day on a positive.

The woman was a SAHM with a young baby.  She would take the baby out for a walk every morning.  And that cat would follow along right with them for the whole walk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker