Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

I keep waking up and choosing violence for myself with some of these podcasts I'm listening to.  Now it's "Will be Wild" and is a fairly recent 6-8 part series about the resurrection and it's just making me mad all over again for myriad of reasons.

SSDD.  Dad starts chemo today, so fingers are crossed that everything works out.  I'm trying to turn the TV off more and read, which I honestly enjoy more than watching television, but when my brain is tired, it's hard.  I kind of fell off my healthy wagon and I'm pretty sure I'm PMSing really badly.  Trying to get back into it, b/c I was feeling better; I also really enjoyed every single unhealthy thing I ate yesterday.  

Re: Thursday

• Options
    @VarunaTT sending prayers for your dad 

N and I are starting to plan our trip out west and I'm so excited. We'll be flying into Vegas, renting an RV and then going to Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and back to Vegas. The kids are coming too so it will be a family trip. I've never been out west short of a few days in Vegas and Phoenix. We're thinking early October for about 10 days or so. So instead of working I'm checking out flights and RVs available. I haven't been on that long of a vacation since 2019 and it was with my shitbag exhusband. So yeah, happily dreaming of a fun family RV trip. 

SSDD here. Maybe going out to dinner later depending on what time I get home. Traffic has been insane this week though so I'm not getting my hopes up. Add in the rain and the commute is just disastrous. . 
  • Options
    @VarunaTT, good luck to your dad!

I thought I had three weeks until my trip, but it's actually only two.  I almost started hyperventilating!  Aaahhh!  Aaahhh.  Too much to do and figure out, not enough time to do it.

I'm worried about all the walking.  I have some good Skechers slip on tennis shoe-type shoe.  And I just ordered some Teva-like sandals on Amazon a couple days ago.  My feet are so picky with shoes, though.  Despite the thousands of great reviews on comfort, it's possible I will get them and they will be awful for me.

I'm still overwhelmed by the excursion choices, but I need to get my act in gear.  Research, choose, and book them.

Y'all, I'm not going to lie.  I am looking forward to it.  But I'm also REALLY scared and nervous.  About so many things.  Especially since I'll be by myself, so I can only count on me to figure things out and overcome potential obstacles.

Any tips, Knotties?  I've never been to Europe.  Things I might not expect and find surprising?  Things I should especially see (or not) in Barcelona/west coast of Italy.  I realize English is a common second language in Europe, but do translator apps work well when there is a language barrier?  If so, any recommendation for an app?

I'm especially freaked out about pick-pocketing/purse snatching.  Can I leave my passport on the ship when I go into port?  Is there anything I'd need it for, going into towns?  Like, if I pay for things with a credit card, do stores generally ask for ID?  I'll be asking Norwegian that also. 

I really like Hop On/Hop Off buses in the US.  But have heard they can't necessarily be relied on in Europe for punctuality.  Even Norwegian warns about that.  Anyone have experience with that kind of excursion?

Please talk me off the ledge and reassure me that everything will (probably) be fine, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    H took G to his chemo appointment today and i hate not being there.  N was a happy man at dropoff because it was pancakes day, lol.  

H and I need to figure out how to make mornings less stressful.  We cannot seem to get out the door without the two of us getting mad at each other.  I hate starting the day like that, it so frustrating.  Also, bedtime with G is taking over an hour most nights and i just cannot.  I think he's clingy because he is sick and been away from us at school a lot more. I want to be understanding but it's so hard when total bedtime is like 7-9pm (for both kids) and then H and i are so tired we hardly talk at night.  Are little kids this hard for everyone?  I feel like we're doing something wrong and should not be this frustrated and stressed all the time.  

Working out at noon and then ordering a sandwich because i forgot my lunch and the cafeteria food isn't great.  

We have to clean a ton in the next few days because my parents and some of their friends are coming over this weekend.  Friends have never seen our house and i'm embarrassed if they see it in current condition.  They've also never met our kids so that will be fun. Hopefully the weather is decent and we can sit on the patio. 
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2022
    @VarunaTT, good luck to your dad!

I thought I had three weeks until my trip, but it's actually only two.  I almost started hyperventilating!  Aaahhh!  Aaahhh.  Too much to do and figure out, not enough time to do it.

I'm worried about all the walking.  I have some good Skechers slip on tennis shoe-type shoe.  And I just ordered some Teva-like sandals on Amazon a couple days ago.  My feet are so picky with shoes, though.  Despite the thousands of great reviews on comfort, it's possible I will get them and they will be awful for me.

I'm still overwhelmed by the excursion choices, but I need to get my act in gear.  Research, choose, and book them.

Y'all, I'm not going to lie.  I am looking forward to it.  But I'm also REALLY scared and nervous.  About so many things.  Especially since I'll be by myself, so I can only count on me to figure things out and overcome potential obstacles.

Any tips, Knotties?  I've never been to Europe.  Things I might not expect and find surprising?  Things I should especially see (or not) in Barcelona/west coast of Italy.  I realize English is a common second language in Europe, but do translator apps work well when there is a language barrier?  If so, any recommendation for an app?

I'm especially freaked out about pick-pocketing/purse snatching.  Can I leave my passport on the ship when I go into port?  Is there anything I'd need it for, going into towns?  Like, if I pay for things with a credit card, do stores generally ask for ID?  I'll be asking Norwegian that also. 

I really like Hop On/Hop Off buses in the US.  But have heard they can't necessarily be relied on in Europe for punctuality.  Even Norwegian warns about that.  Anyone have experience with that kind of excursion?

Please talk me off the ledge and reassure me that everything will (probably) be fine, lol.
    It will be great. For shoes, wear sneakers. If the sketchers are great, awesome. If not, I would buy better sneakers. You will not have any language problems. I always leave my passport in the hotel you don’t need it walking around and just carry a zipped purse and keep a sensible eye on it. I’ve never run into a store asking for id to use a credit card. I always stop in the airport at the atm and get a few hundred euros out. Don’t forget sunscreen. 
  • Options
    Oh and don’t expect ice lol. Like maybe a cube or two. 
  • Options
    Dumb question but if you were to make a relevant fb photo album, what would you choose for 4?

I break down fb photo albums of BK by age

"First Year"
    "Art of being 2"
    "Fun Wild and 3"

Suggestions?

A lot of my bday delivery stuff comes today. 
    It's also voting day, so M voted this morning and he's picking up BK so I can go vote.

Right now it looks like PC again and I'm fkn pissed because people are ignoring HUGE red flags in them.

Anyways .... I'm done paying school for BK so now I can get shit paid faster and have extra in savings.
  • Options
    Re: Europe. Leave your passport on the ship in the safe. I don't remember ever having to show ID for purchases. But make sure you call your credit card companies to give them the dates of your travel, just in case. That way you can avoid them declining what they think could be fraudulent charges. 

You'll have no problems not speaking the language. I wouldn't worry too much about a translator app. 

For walking sneakers, I've always worn my Adidas to Europe and they've never failed me. And for a purse, I've always used a crossbody bag that zippers. 

I did the hop on/hop off bus in Paris, but I honestly can't remember if it was punctual. 
  • Options
    Agree with a small crossbody bag that zips.  Leave passport on the ship in a safe.  Don't worry about translating apps, you'll be fine.  Comfy shoes are a must so make sure you like them.  Highly recommend excursions through the ship if you do them, then youre 100% covered if something weird happens, the ship the will wait for your group.  Not so much if you're on your own. 

That said, i would recommend excursions in stops where the port is far away from the "attraction".  For example, Rome is actually about an hour inland from the port.  The port in naples is far away from the city and common excursions are Pompeii/Sorrento which are farther and there's not too much to see in Naples (in my opinion). Our favorite day of our similar cruise was Pompeii and a local farm in the hills of Sorrento - we got a tour of the old school olive oil making, lemoncello making, cheese making, and then had awesome lunch where we got to sample everything! 

How long are you in Barcelona?  
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!  They do make me feel more confident.  I have a crossbody zippered purse that's reinforced in the straps, so it can't be cut very easily.  Plus, I already live in a city, so I'm used to be hyper vigilant about "who and what" are going on around me.  It just sounded like it was extra bad, especially in Barcelona.  That, your personal safety is fine, but pick-pocketing/purse snatching are rampant.  

I'm definitely planning to wear my comfortable Skechers for most of the trip.  I've walked for hours in those many times and they're great.

But at a couple ports, I'll also might be spending time on the beach.  So I wanted some comfy sandals I could both walk a lot in, but also would be more convenient for being in sand.

I've heard ice is unusual, which is unfortunate because it will be hot.  I've also heard that it's okay to leave a tip, but it isn't expected or necessary.  And that sales tax is already built into the price, which sounds nice.

I wonder why we are such ice people in North America and it's not done in Europe?  I know many US states are warmer and closer to the equator.  But it can get hot in Europe also, especially the more southern regions that I am going to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Agree with a small crossbody bag that zips.  Leave passport on the ship in a safe.  Don't worry about translating apps, you'll be fine.  Comfy shoes are a must so make sure you like them.  Highly recommend excursions through the ship if you do them, then youre 100% covered if something weird happens, the ship the will wait for your group.  Not so much if you're on your own. 

That said, i would recommend excursions in stops where the port is far away from the "attraction".  For example, Rome is actually about an hour inland from the port.  The port in naples is far away from the city and common excursions are Pompeii/Sorrento which are farther and there's not too much to see in Naples (in my opinion). Our favorite day of our similar cruise was Pompeii and a local farm in the hills of Sorrento - we got a tour of the old school olive oil making, lemoncello making, cheese making, and then had awesome lunch where we got to sample everything! 

I have had so many people recommend Pompeii to me, over the years.  I'll narrow down the excursions for that port, to ones that include it.  I'm definitely inclined more toward the food tours because a small sample of "everything" is how I like food, lol.  Especially in new places.

You actually answered a question I had, but didn't ask, lol.  I know some of the excursions/cities weren't right on the ocean and was curious how long it took to get to the main city.  Like Rome.

The reason I'd asked about hop on/hop off buses is because that is an excursion the ship offers.  BUT they also warn it is open to the public and there can be long lines and delays.  So I'm not sure if that type of excursion would fall under the "we wait for you" umbrella, lol.

I'll be in Barcelona for a full two days, not counting the day of departure.  I arrive in Barcelona at 7am on Friday.  So I have all day Friday...though I'm sure I'll be exhausted and jet lagged...and Saturday.  The ship departs on Sunday, though not until later in the day.  They have staggered entry and I've already signed up for the 12:30-1PM slot.

I've been told to get lots of seafood dishes in Barcelona.  That it's amazing and usually fresh off the boat, that morning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @ei34 Happy birthday!! 

@short+sassy I can definitely help with deciding on excursions for the cities I've been to before. 
  • Options
    @ei34, Happy birthday!  Your kids sound just the sweetest!

@climbingsingle, informing credit cards!  Yes!  That thought had occasionally crossed my mind, but I've made a written list and added that to it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @ei34 Happy birthday!! 

@short+sassy I can definitely help with deciding on excursions for the cities I've been to before. 
    Thanks!  I'll narrow down my list and run it past you all.

One of the excursions for Rome is making me laugh.  Walking through the woods with a truffle hunter and their trained dog.  That's something I might do if I was in Rome for awhile, but not my top choice when I only have one day.

I've heard they usually use dogs now, instead of pigs.  The reason pigs were such good truffle hunters is because they LOVE truffles.  So, once a pig found a truffle, the person would have to keep shoving the pig away to get the truffle.

Dogs will eat truffles also.  But they prefer other treats.  So they can be trained to find the truffle.  Leave it alone.  And be rewarded with a "better" treat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Casadena said:

I have had so many people recommend Pompeii to me, over the years.  I'll narrow down the excursions for that port, to ones that include it.  I'm definitely inclined more toward the food tours because a small sample of "everything" is how I like food, lol.  Especially in new places.

You actually answered a question I had, but didn't ask, lol.  I know some of the excursions/cities weren't right on the ocean and was curious how long it took to get to the main city.  Like Rome.

The reason I'd asked about hop on/hop off buses is because that is an excursion the ship offers.  BUT they also warn it is open to the public and there can be long lines and delays.  So I'm not sure if that type of excursion would fall under the "we wait for you" umbrella, lol.

I'll be in Barcelona for a full two days, not counting the day of departure.  I arrive in Barcelona at 7am on Friday.  So I have all day Friday...though I'm sure I'll be exhausted and jet lagged...and Saturday.  The ship departs on Sunday, though not until later in the day.  They have staggered entry and I've already signed up for the 12:30-1PM slot.

I've been told to get lots of seafood dishes in Barcelona.  That it's amazing and usually fresh off the boat, that morning.
    Sagrada Familia is amazing to see if you can get tickets for it ahead of time, if not, i would definitely walk by it and admire the outside at least!!  Gaudi Park has a very cool trail up to it and you could spent a couple hours just marveling at the intricate work.  La Rambla is a touristy pedestrian area that winds through the city - but there's better food and stuff to see elsewhere so i wouldn't make that a highlight.  Although the food market in the middle (Mercado de la Boqueria) is SO COOL to walk/snack your way through.  The old Olympic park from 1992 is kind of cool but lower on my list if you have limited time. 

I personally wouldn't waste time on beaches since you'll be on a ship/near the water so much the rest of the trip. 

and same with Climbing, happy to give opinions on ports i've been to!  I just don't remember all the places you're stopping. 
  • Options
    Happy birthday!!! @ei34

I’m in a deep funk today. A good friend is having some really awful personal stuff happen and I’m so upset about it and there’s nothing I can really even do to help. My brother is also looking really rough and it’s been weighing on me since my mom sent me a picture on Sunday. I somehow have managed a grand total of 9 hours of sleep in the past 3 days. Last night I couldn’t sleep because of everything on my mind. I got a grand total of 2.5 hours and I’m so tired. Ugh. 

• Options
    can someone access Prudie?  @mrsconn23 is off this week and probably not checking in!
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    can someone access Prudie?  @mrsconn23 is off this week and probably not checking in!
    I was planning to do it at lunch, but then got busy.

I'll hook us up now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @levioosa it's hard when friends have an issue you can't help fix. Is there anything you can do from side lines? {listening, comforting, sending food?} Sometimes that helps. One friend had issues and I've been trying to be extra supportive. M & I both said that if her spouse needs a shoulder, we're here for him too
  • Options
    Okay am I missing anything for BK's party?
    There's 8 people

- Plates, cups & cutlery
    - balloons
    - decor delivery today {garland, 4 balloon and table cloth}
    - M picking up helium & possibly a butterfly balloon Saturday
    - balloon arch {pick up saturday}
    - M to clear yard & do bbq tomorrow
    - boxes to clear crap and make space

food:
    hot dogs & burgers {have}
    - buy buns
    - have condiments
    - my mum bringing potato salad
    - i'm making macaroni salad
    - IL's bringing extra folding chairs
    - fruit tray & veggie tray 
    - pick up ice cream cake
    - drinks - pepsi & ginger ale {kidlet doesn't like - I have other options for her}
    - probably cheese & cracker plate
  • Options
    Oh, I second Gaudi Park in Barcelona. That was very cool! We also took the tour of Gaudi's home. 
  • Options
    Or a/c in most buildings :(

I hate having my feet enclosed in the summer. I’m a comfy sandals person myself. These are awesome (but actually sized a bit bigger than what I normally wear).  I wore them for my wedding, and was standing the entire time and was A-OK the entire night (but didnt walk walk in them)

https://a.co/d/gcegNcU

@climbingsingle that trip sounds awesome.  Fit me in there? :)  this is kinda why I want to put my hat back in the dating ring.  Someone to travel with (I travel with my girls but not the same thing!).  I once saw a meme “I’m really bad at dating. I don’t really care how you slept, but do you want to go to Jamaica or what?” LMAO

@MissKittyDanger “Four & Fabulous” ?

• Options
    Or a/c in most buildings :(

I hate having my feet enclosed in the summer. I’m a comfy sandals person myself. These are awesome (but actually sized a bit bigger than what I normally wear).  I wore them for my wedding, and was standing the entire time and was A-OK the entire night (but didnt walk walk in them)

https://a.co/d/gcegNcU

@climbingsingle that trip sounds awesome.  Fit me in there? :)  this is kinda why I want to put my hat back in the dating ring.  Someone to travel with (I travel with my girls but not the same thing!).  I once saw a meme “I’m really bad at dating. I don’t really care how you slept, but do you want to go to Jamaica or what?” LMAO

@MissKittyDanger “Four & Fabulous” ?
    My hotel in Barcelona includes a/c as one of the amenities for the room.  But I have heard that a/c isn't nearly as common in Europe as in the US.  I'm hoping it's more common in warmer climates, but I'm as prepared as I can be that I might be SOL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Finally getting to check in. It's been a week. I'm on vacation next week, so lots to prep and pack for the beach, but also trying to get work stuff organized so that I'm not a disaster when I get back. 

The trip next week should be interesting. We're going with my family. (Parents, plus sister, BIL and their kids.) My mom and sister are in some conflict right now; mostly because mom is wrong and impossible. I'm excited about going with my niblings, though. They're still young enough to enjoy building sandcastles and playing in the pool with me. 

@short+sassy, I would look for a second pair of sketchers or other tennis shoes and alternate. Maybe it's just my sweaty feet, but I feel like sneakers are never as comfortable two days in a row if I'm hot. 
  • Options
    Found the meme that speaks to me! 🤣 

• Options
    I have never had a problem with language @short+sassy. I actually wish Italians would allow me to speak Italian more often - they all want to practice their English. In my experience, if you can learn a view words the local people appreciate that. Good day, please, thank you etc in a couple of languages isn't too difficult. Definitely leave passport in safe on ship, call credit card companies in advance. As for pickpockets they are often around cathedrals and on public transportation - H was pickpocketed on the Metro in Rome several years ago. He even had his wallet in a zippered front pocket - those pick pockets are good!!! A cross body bad with your hand on it is the way to go. Like @CharmedPam I am a sandal person. I have several comfortable sandals that I wear. On our trip that we just returned from, I wore nicer looking athletic shoes (ON brand and Rieker). All the hotels we have stayed in in Italy have had AC but the one in Switzerland did not. Europeans are glad to have Americans travel again - we were told several times it was good to hear American English again. Message me if you have any other questions.
  • Options
    I have never had a problem with language @short+sassy. I actually wish Italians would allow me to speak Italian more often - they all want to practice their English. In my experience, if you can learn a view words the local people appreciate that. Good day, please, thank you etc in a couple of languages isn't too difficult. Definitely leave passport in safe on ship, call credit card companies in advance. As for pickpockets they are often around cathedrals and on public transportation - H was pickpocketed on the Metro in Rome several years ago. He even had his wallet in a zippered front pocket - those pick pockets are good!!! A cross body bad with your hand on it is the way to go. Like @CharmedPam I am a sandal person. I have several comfortable sandals that I wear. On our trip that we just returned from, I wore nicer looking athletic shoes (ON brand and Rieker). All the hotels we have stayed in in Italy have had AC but the one in Switzerland did not. Europeans are glad to have Americans travel again - we were told several times it was good to hear American English again. Message me if you have any other questions.
    One of my coworker friends is originally from Serbia.  She's been to Spain and Italy a bunch of times, so I was hitting her up for info also, lol.

She said she was on a bus, with her dad, in Serbia.  She was using a purse with a zipper, but wasn't wearing it "cross body".  She got home and discovered her wallet was missing.  Someone had just that stealthily unzipped her purse, while she was wearing it.  Took her wallet out.  And even zipped it back up!  So she wouldn't realize until much later that she'd been robbed.

I hope you all had a good time on your trip!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker