Wedding Woes

Indy Knotties

MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
edited July 2022 in Wedding Woes
Heard about the mall shooting in Indianapolis.  How are our Indy folks?  
@ILoveBeachMusic @mrsconn23

Re: Indy Knotties

• The whole story is just so horrible.  It was aired on the news this morning.
    after a local Chicago one where a woman was shot and hospitalized for a road rage incident.  They said “her gun never left it’s holster, she never used hers”.

what?

and then today they said yesterday’s mall shooting, the shooter shot someone who was also carrying a gun but had no time to pull it out.  And the person who eventually stopped the shooter, pulled out his own gun, and used it to stop him by shooting HIM.

Serious question.  Am I the only one not carrying?!?

• edited July 2022
    This is all kinds of terrible. 
  • @CharmedPam, FWIW, that was a dealbreaker for my H way back when we first started dating.  He is very anti-gun.  He said he would never have a gun in his house and didn't want to become seriously involved with someone who did.  He doesn't have issues with people owning guns...other than he's disgusted at the lack of control/regulations...he just doesn't want them around in his own world.

With that said, I feel like guns are especially common where I live.  The motto of Louisiana is "Sportsman's Paradise".  There is a lot of hunting/fishing here.  I realize rifles/shotguns used for hunting is very different from handguns, but it's a similar mentality.

I realize the mall shooter had an assault rifle.  I despise any politician who, for no other reason than to pander to their "gun rights" constituents, don't fight against the sale of assault rifles to private citizens.  This should be an issue EVERYONE agrees on.  But they care more about their next election than they do about the citizens of this country.

I think we were also one of the first states...this was decades ago...to extend "home protection" to a person's car.  What that means is, a handgun can legally be kept in the glove box, even if the person does not have a concealed carry permit.  In addition, if someone tries to reach into the car while you're in it, you can shoot them and it is considered self-defense.  Even if they don't have a weapon.

To be fair, I don't disagree with that.  A stranger reaching into an occupied car is threatening.  A driver only has seconds to react.  Trying to determine if the criminal is armed or not, could mean the innocent driver is the one that ends up dead.

However, people who leave their handgun in a glove box usually suck and are irresponsible owners.  It's fine if they never leave it there and keep it in a locked case with them, when they exit the car.  But that's not usually what happens.  Car break-ins are way too common right now and a gun in the glove box is exactly what criminals are looking for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam, FWIW, that was a dealbreaker for my H way back when we first started dating.  He is very anti-gun.  He said he would never have a gun in his house and didn't want to become seriously involved with someone who did.  He doesn't have issues with people owning guns...other than he's disgusted at the lack of control/regulations...he just doesn't want them around in his own world.

With that said, I feel like guns are especially common where I live.  The motto of Louisiana is "Sportsman's Paradise".  There is a lot of hunting/fishing here.  I realize rifles/shotguns used for hunting is very different from handguns, but it's a similar mentality.

I realize the mall shooter had an assault rifle.  I despise any politician who, for no other reason than to pander to their "gun rights" constituents, don't fight against the sale of assault rifles to private citizens.  This should be an issue EVERYONE agrees on.  But they care more about their next election than they do about the citizens of this country.

I think we were also one of the first states...this was decades ago...to extend "home protection" to a person's car.  What that means is, a handgun can legally be kept in the glove box, even if the person does not have a concealed carry permit.  In addition, if someone tries to reach into the car while you're in it, you can shoot them and it is considered self-defense.  Even if they don't have a weapon.

To be fair, I don't disagree with that.  A stranger reaching into an occupied car is threatening.  A driver only has seconds to react.  Trying to determine if the criminal is armed or not, could mean the innocent driver is the one that ends up dead.

However, people who leave their handgun in a glove box usually suck and are irresponsible owners.  It's fine if they never leave it there and keep it in a locked case with them, when they exit the car.  But that's not usually what happens.  Car break-ins are way too common right now and a gun in the glove box is exactly what criminals are looking for.
    Our next-door neighbor is a state cop so I know he's often wearing his weapon when in uniform and there's a gun in the house.  DH took his gun safety class to apply for a pistol permit but hasn't and thus far it's not something we have.

I'm not opposed to gun ownership but I absolutely have issues with weapons that are available for purchase and how easily they can be bought.  I'm grateful my state senator was instrumental in this incremental legislation that was just signed.  

• We too are on a different side of town. I feel as if we can't go anywhere and feel safe anymore. My bookclub is going to see Crawdads tomorrow (I can't go) but I was thinking is that really a good idea. I have no problem with gun ownership for hunting but there is no reason a person needs an assault weapon. I don't personally like handguns and don't think an average citizen needs to carry. That being said, my Dad carried when he was a process server.

Highland Park scared the crap out of me because DD had just driven through there to go to work a couple of hours before it happened.
  • We too are on a different side of town. I feel as if we can't go anywhere and feel safe anymore. My bookclub is going to see Crawdads tomorrow (I can't go) but I was thinking is that really a good idea. I have no problem with gun ownership for hunting but there is no reason a person needs an assault weapon. I don't personally like handguns and don't think an average citizen needs to carry. That being said, my Dad carried when he was a process server.

Highland Park scared the crap out of me because DD had just driven through there to go to work a couple of hours before it happened.
    We're about 15 minute drive from Highland Park and it's insane how many people i know who assumed we might be there and checked in with us.  That really hit me hard how easily it could have been our family.  Glad your fam is ok in both places. 
  • Casadena said:
    We too are on a different side of town. I feel as if we can't go anywhere and feel safe anymore. My bookclub is going to see Crawdads tomorrow (I can't go) but I was thinking is that really a good idea. I have no problem with gun ownership for hunting but there is no reason a person needs an assault weapon. I don't personally like handguns and don't think an average citizen needs to carry. That being said, my Dad carried when he was a process server.

We're about 15 minute drive from Highland Park and it's insane how many people i know who assumed we might be there and checked in with us.  That really hit me hard how easily it could have been our family.  Glad your fam is ok in both places. 
    Didn't realize you are that close. DD and family are about that close too. Glad you and your family are ok too. Such a scary time.
  • Until I see some common sense from people, I am against gun ownership. People don't have guns here, not even sure if the cops carry them tbh. It is amazing. I never realized how much I worried about guns until I left the US. If you had asked me then, I would have told you I wasn't that concerned but it was like having a blanket of fear on my shoulders. Not a heavy one, one I was used to, but still noticable when it was removed.
     Too many people argue for gun rights simply because they think guns are fun (this isn't the argument they lead with, the NRA has provided lots of talking points over the years but these people generally don't want to stop shooting guns simply because they like them and think they're fun) but you know what else is fun? Heroin. Cocaine. People love that stuff but we have decided that it is bad for society so we made laws around it. Gun control has to do the same.
    I’m I favor of banning white men from having guns. They seem to be the worst at having them. 
  • Until I see some common sense from people, I am against gun ownership. People don't have guns here, not even sure if the cops carry them tbh. It is amazing. I never realized how much I worried about guns until I left the US. If you had asked me then, I would have told you I wasn't that concerned but it was like having a blanket of fear on my shoulders. Not a heavy one, one I was used to, but still noticable when it was removed.
     Too many people argue for gun rights simply because they think guns are fun (this isn't the argument they lead with, the NRA has provided lots of talking points over the years but these people generally don't want to stop shooting guns simply because they like them and think they're fun) but you know what else is fun? Heroin. Cocaine. People love that stuff but we have decided that it is bad for society so we made laws around it. Gun control has to do the same.
    I’m I favor of banning white men from having guns. They seem to be the worst at having them. 
    Stuck in the box.  While I get this mentality especially when looking at who has committed more recent crimes, this is absolutely a situation of the bad people who have really ruined this for those who were respecting the rules, were in favor of restrictions and who did use their guns to hunt.

Working with people in the midwest who are avid hunters these are people who make their diet of what they hunt and the guns are also used on the farmland.

There's a middle ground somewhere between NRA members refusing to concede to any kind of restrictions and the other end of the spectrum saying they shouldn't be owned.
  • banana468 said:
    Until I see some common sense from people, I am against gun ownership. People don't have guns here, not even sure if the cops carry them tbh. It is amazing. I never realized how much I worried about guns until I left the US. If you had asked me then, I would have told you I wasn't that concerned but it was like having a blanket of fear on my shoulders. Not a heavy one, one I was used to, but still noticable when it was removed.
    Stuck in the box.  While I get this mentality especially when looking at who has committed more recent crimes, this is absolutely a situation of the bad people who have really ruined this for those who were respecting the rules, were in favor of restrictions and who did use their guns to hunt.

Working with people in the midwest who are avid hunters these are people who make their diet of what they hunt and the guns are also used on the farmland.

There's a middle ground somewhere between NRA members refusing to concede to any kind of restrictions and the other end of the spectrum saying they shouldn't be owned.
     Not everyone who uses cocaine becomes a house robbing addict but there are still laws against it. I am from the Midwest and my suggestion is to ban them completely and then we can work at reasons people deserve them. Until then, try bow hunting.
  • banana468 said:
    Until I see some common sense from people, I am against gun ownership. People don't have guns here, not even sure if the cops carry them tbh. It is amazing. I never realized how much I worried about guns until I left the US. If you had asked me then, I would have told you I wasn't that concerned but it was like having a blanket of fear on my shoulders. Not a heavy one, one I was used to, but still noticable when it was removed.

Not everyone who uses cocaine becomes a house robbing addict but there are still laws against it. I am from the Midwest and my suggestion is to ban them completely and then we can work at reasons people deserve them. Until then, try bow hunting.
    This for sure.  People hunt, thats cool.  Hunt differently, you dont NEED a gun for that.  No one needs a gun. 
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

This for sure.  People hunt, thats cool.  Hunt differently, you dont NEED a gun for that.  No one needs a gun. 
    Except bow hunting only works for large game, like deer.  You need a shotgun to hunt birds.  And a rifle to hunt smaller game, like rabbits and squirrels.

Especially in a poverty-stricken state like mine, people supplement their family's food supply with hunting and fishing.  Not as much in the city, but most of the state is small rural towns.

Some areas also need help from hunters for ecological reasons.  In Southern Louisiana, we have an invasive species called nutria (small mammal) that is destructive to our wetlands.  They're somewhat controlled by hunting.  Not enough, but it would be much worse if people weren't allowed to have rifles to hunt them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Except bow hunting only works for large game, like deer.  You need a shotgun to hunt birds.  And a rifle to hunt smaller game, like rabbits and squirrels.

Especially in a poverty-stricken state like mine, people supplement their family's food supply with hunting and fishing.  Not as much in the city, but most of the state is small rural towns.

Some areas also need help from hunters for ecological reasons.  In Southern Louisiana, we have an invasive species called nutria (small mammal) that is destructive to our wetlands.  They're somewhat controlled by hunting.  Not enough, but it would be much worse if people weren't allowed to have rifles to hunt them.
    I’d rather solve the problem of too many nutria versus dead children. 
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Short+sassy brings up a valid point though. I am staunchly against guns. I feel like 95% of the time they are absolutely not needed. But we live in a country with massive socioeconomic issues. For some people losing access to weapons will mean losing access to food. Unfortunately we live in a country that places more value on the freedom of owing a gun instead of 1) safe ownership, and 2) addressing the myriad of reasons people may feel like they need a gun (most of which are socioeconomic in nature). The state of this country makes me sick. 

• Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

Totally understand this.  In iowa, deer hunting is necessary to curb massive unhealthy animal populations and youre right that some families supplement or rely on hunting to feed themselves.  That said, i also agree that assualt rifles in particular are not necessary ever.  The irresponsible ones always ruin it for everyone. 
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

That's a really flippant thing to say.  Wetlands are the biggest and most important protection from hurricanes for Southeast Louisiana.  It weakens them faster.  Nutria aren't the only factor that has caused a disappearance, but they are a significant one.

971 people died in SE LA during Hurricane Katrina.  More wetlands probably would have saved hundreds of lives.

25% of the children in this state live in hunger.  I'm sure that statistic would be higher if people suddenly couldn't hunt small game.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from feeling that private citizens shouldn't be allowed to have any guns.  I can understand that argument also.  I was more trying to point out that, at least in terms of hunting rifles/shotguns, there are other consequences involved that people don't always think of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

That's a really flippant thing to say.  Wetlands are the biggest and most important protection from hurricanes for Southeast Louisiana.  It weakens them faster.  Nutria aren't the only factor that has caused a disappearance, but they are a significant one.

971 people died in SE LA during Hurricane Katrina.  More wetlands probably would have saved hundreds of lives.

25% of the children in this state live in hunger.  I'm sure that statistic would be higher if people suddenly couldn't hunt small game.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from feeling that private citizens shouldn't be allowed to have any guns.  I can understand that argument also.  I was more trying to point out that, at least in terms of hunting rifles/shotguns, there are other consequences involved that people don't always think of.
    I think we’ve “other consequences”-ed ourselves into the current horrific situation and don’t care about these other consequences as I think they are a dangerous distraction. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

There's no bias, judgment, or misinformation in that statement at all.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited July 2022
    Casadena said:
    We too are on a different side of town. I feel as if we can't go anywhere and feel safe anymore. My bookclub is going to see Crawdads tomorrow (I can't go) but I was thinking is that really a good idea. I have no problem with gun ownership for hunting but there is no reason a person needs an assault weapon. I don't personally like handguns and don't think an average citizen needs to carry. That being said, my Dad carried when he was a process server.

I had no idea you are in IL, let alone Lake County.  I am about 20 minutes straight due west of HP.  We frequent Ravinia, especially the Laurie Berkner concerts with the littles, and CSO nights just for relaxing evenings.

@ILoveBeachMusic, we had just finished our annual Children’s Museum trip and visit with my Uncle in Greenwood the day prior to the mall incident.  They’re about 5 miles from the mall.  
  • I'm glad y'all are ok too, @MobKaz. I was wondering where our Chicagoland knotties were when the HP was happening. Way to close to home for a lot of people. My heart was breaking for all the families there and in Greenwood. I don't really want to go anywhere where there are a lot of people now. 

Hope you had a good day at the Children's Museum. We now have a grandparent's membership because we can go anytime the kids are here. Did you make your stop at Albanese? I think of you every time we go by that exit. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    I'm glad y'all are ok too, @MobKaz. I was wondering where our Chicagoland knotties were when the HP was happening. Way to close to home for a lot of people. My heart was breaking for all the families there and in Greenwood. I don't really want to go anywhere where there are a lot of people now. 

Hope you had a good day at the Children's Museum. We now have a grandparent's membership because we can go anytime the kids are here. Did you make your stop at Albanese? I think of you every time we go by that exit. 

A grief counselor from our town volunteered to assist in efforts in HP.  She made a request for donations of art supplies and Squishmallows to promote healing with the kids impacted.  That hit close to home for me.  On our trip in the Smokey Mountains this past March, we had to evacuate our cabin shortly after midnight because of fires.  It was remarkable what a stuffed toy did to offset and distract my littles that night.  I immediately hit up our local toy store and purchased a dozen Squishmallows.  The "Toy Man", as the owner refers to himself, heard about this request.  Not only did he then immediately offer discounts for anyone that wanted to make a purchase to donate, but he FILLED his car to the brim with boxes of Squishmallows and art supplies. 

LOL  Our museum trip is almost equally about the visit to Albanese.  We happened to get there on a less than busy day, and sadly, our check out experience reflected that.  It's amazing how much more you see (and purchase) when the counter tops aren't filled with people looking at the goods! 
  • MobKaz said:

Except the majority of mass shooters in the United States have been (young) white men. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    MobKaz said:

Except the majority of mass shooters in the United States have been (young) white men. 
    Fact:  More than 99% of gun deaths in the US are from shootings other than mass shootings.  Between 1982 and July, 2022, 70 out of the 132 mass shootings in the US were carried out by white shooters.  
    The comment above was a sweeping generalization, and was not tied directly to mass shootings.  Such reckless statements only add fuel to the shit ton of fires that is this country.  
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2022
    I don't particularLy care to wade into this, but whatever you got your "facts" from, @MobKaz , is simply wrong.  We've had more than 132 mass shootings this year.  The only organization that has any sort of classification for mass shootings last time I looked was the Congressional Research organization (I can't remember their real name, but they're the actual congressional non-partisan thing), and the FBI uses their definition, which is 4 or more people killed by firearms.  

ETA:  okay, 4 or more killed or injured.  I had to go back into some old research to find the good stuff.  I believe most organizations are using the Gun Violence Archive now for information.

ETA:  To my knowledge, which has become a bit outdated b/c I can no longer handle continuing to scream into the wind, that definition is now accepted by all legitimate organizations and news outlets.  Here is the most recent article I could find:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/02/mass-shootings-in-2022/
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2022
    Final thing, b/c I'm not trying to harp.  I went trying to find Mob's stat.  I found it.  The big difference here is that the study that came to 182 mass shootings, used methodology that further defined mass shootings into mass public shootings.  The breakdowns in methodologies are nicely summarized here.

https://www.theviolenceproject.org/methodology/
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    VarunaTT said:
    I don't particularLy care to wade into this, but whatever you got your "facts" from, @MobKaz , is simply wrong.  We've had more than 132 mass shootings this year.  The only organization that has any sort of classification for mass shootings last time I looked was the Congressional Research organization (I can't remember their real name, but they're the actual congressional non-partisan thing), and the FBI uses their definition, which is 4 or more people killed by firearms.  

ETA:  okay, 4 or more killed or injured.  I had to go back into some old research to find the good stuff.  I believe most organizations are using the Gun Violence Archive now for information.

ETA:  To my knowledge, which has become a bit outdated b/c I can no longer handle continuing to scream into the wind, that definition is now accepted by all legitimate organizations and news outlets.  Here is the most recent article I could find:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/02/mass-shootings-in-2022/

I cannot open your link without a subscription.  I stand by my statement that yours was a sweeping generalization and not helpful.  I am aware of the new and multiple definitions of mass shootings.  I would argue that only further serves my point toward your demographic.  I typically do not respond to condescending comments (i.e. "facts"), but here was one of my sources for my comment.....ironically obtained through the Congressional Research Service.
    https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/public-mass-shootings-database-amasses-details-half-century-us-mass-shootings

Peace out