Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday!!

Just got done helping DefConn pack for his big trip.  I have a meeting and then we're off to middle school registration.  

I'm annoyed because DH's card was 'improperly used' for a YMCA transaction.  We haven't paid the YMCA money since the kiddo went to their day camps in elementary.  It was the only one-off thing in our account, which is a very weird charge to have show up.  He went to the bank the other day, explained the issue, they gave him a new card, and said they'd return the money to our account.  The only thing I can thnk of is that his card was skimmed when he got gas or something, but again...YMCA only?  It's taking them for-ev-er to return the funds and it was well over $100.  We're fine, but it's annoying to have it missing from our account.  Gimme my money!  

SSDD in the new normal, LOL.  Prudie coming in hot since I have 20 min to post and run.  

Re: Thursday!!

• Options
    My dietician fired me. I hated her but I wanted to do the firing! Really pushed myself to be open and honest and vulnerable about my struggles and it hurts that she was like nah this is too much for me. 
  • Options
    My dietician fired me. I hated her but I wanted to do the firing! Really pushed myself to be open and honest and vulnerable about my struggles and it hurts that she was like nah this is too much for me. 
    Oh wow that’s awful, I’m sorry. 
  • Options
    copy + paste from other spot:

So BK is sleeping over at IL's tonight because they're hoping to hit the beach early tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Question - who's used a steam mop?
    Pro/con?
    I'm looking at the Bissell steam mop specifically.
    I have a mop for quick jobs but instead of a mop & bucket, I'd rather have a steam mop.
  • Options
    @STARMOON44 I'm sorry! Did she give you a reason?? 

I posted in the wrong thread so c&p:

Our trip out west is booked! I'm so excited. We booked the flights Tuesday night and I reserved an RV yesterday. Also FYI for anyone looking at RV share sites (Outdoorsy, etc) they are now adding on insane fees for tax. I believe in some states it has to do with a new law that was passed. So I ended up booking with a rental company right in Vegas. Anyway, I absolutely cannot wait! We're flying out 10/8 and will be away for 10 days. Last time I took a vacation that long was in 2019! 

SSDD day. I'm thankfully WFH tomorrow. We're going to see Phish this weekend and have a lot of friends in town for it. I think we're also hosting a pool party Saturday for everyone that's up so I'll be cleaning like a maniac naturally. 
    She thought I might have a more productive experience with someone else. Which I do agree with. But still!
  • Options
    OK, computer issues and then my meeting ran late.  I will post Prudie this afternoon when I'm back!  I promise!! 
  • Options
    @STARMOON44 wth! She gave up is more like it! Hopefully you’ll find a more well suited one for you though. 
    @climbingsingle that sounds so aweskme and october will be perfect for it. 
    @mrsconn23 I find CC companies are more prone to be on the consumers side, so hopefully it clears up soon
    Sorry @VarunaTT but your wise in knowing this isn’t the right time, if that’s any consolation.  When you know you know. I went on break on mine after talking to a lot of people.  I narrowed it down to 3 I’d actually like to meet in person and yet someone not in the group asked me out first.  I liked to be persued.  The others are taking their time.  One already called me “sweetheart” and It’s kinda off putting to me.  Oh and then somone swooped right in after “going on break” that I thought would go nowhere but suddenly we started to talk about TV shows and he’s Man Pam on the TV lineup so he’s also winning me over…

I’m wfh.  I woke up with a sore throat and congestion this morning and wasn’t going to chance it going into work.  It sucks having to cancel some appts I can’t re set up because she already gave me 2 free sessions on the end of them, but I can’t be that person testing negative (did it twice just to be safe) but really positive.  It might also be a regular cold too. 

• Options

So BK is sleeping over at IL's tonight because they're hoping to hit the beach early tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Pro/con?
    I have a mop for quick jobs but instead of a mop & bucket, I'd rather have a steam mop.
    I have one and love it for our tile floors in the kitchen/entryway/laundry room and bathrooms.  I think it's a bissel?  I don't remember, but I know it wasn't overly expensive, definitely not over $100.  It has a hand held attachment too that's really nice for the shower.  Heats up super fast and is really easy to use.  Highly recommend.
  • Options
    I am fully moved into my new work spot.  Still need to do some unpacking.  As you all know, I already had a long list of complaints.  I forgot one.  It's a cold room.  My nose already feels like ice.  I just went on Amazon and bought one of those gaiters that you can wear around your neck and then pull up over your nose.  I happened to have a pair of gloves and a sweater cardigan.  I put those on.

I hate having to dress every day like it's winter, even though I'm indoors and it's super hot outside.

Other than that, it's a good day.  Nothing special happened, I'm just in positive spirits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Casadena said:

Pro/con?
    I have one and love it for our tile floors in the kitchen/entryway/laundry room and bathrooms.  I think it's a bissel?  I don't remember, but I know it wasn't overly expensive, definitely not over $100.  It has a hand held attachment too that's really nice for the shower.  Heats up super fast and is really easy to use.  Highly recommend.

Do you have hardwood too? We'd be using mostly for tile {bathrooms, kitchen, front hall} but rest of house is hardwood {obv not real wood}
  • Options
    Another round of antibiotics and steroids for this girl. Kid is totally fine and I’m trying to ward off pneumonia. Again. 

But I’m playig softball tonight even if I feel like trash. My FIL is building baby M a swing set in the back yard!
  • Options
    Ugh- advice please!

We just heard we finally got off the waitlist for the daycare we originally wanted. It took a year. But it’s in the city (near my work) and it does have 5- day a week availability. One of the best in the area. 

M had some friends in his daycare, kids he likes. He loves his teacher but he’s moving out of her class on August 1 to the next room. So now I don’t know what to do. He likes his friends and is doing great where he is; the other place is really excellent but it would be starting all over again. Okay WWTKD??
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 if you opt to move or not, get contact of parents of the friends baby M has - that way even moving rooms or if they move or if you move, you can set up play dates.
  • Options
    Ugh- advice please!

We just heard we finally got off the waitlist for the daycare we originally wanted. It took a year. But it’s in the city (near my work) and it does have 5- day a week availability. One of the best in the area. 

M had some friends in his daycare, kids he likes. He loves his teacher but he’s moving out of her class on August 1 to the next room. So now I don’t know what to do. He likes his friends and is doing great where he is; the other place is really excellent but it would be starting all over again. Okay WWTKD??
    Things that would be considerations for me are convenience and price for sure.  Also, what makes it "better" than the one you're at now?  Do you have any complaints about your current situation?  After sending our boys to the school in our neighborhood (as opposed to one near my work) having the convenience of our kids literally 1 minute away is amazing.  Especially now that I don' have to go to the office everyday.  If the price is significantly more, it'd be hard for me to justify unless i had major complaints about the current place.  I personally wouldn't worry as much about friends or teachers since he'd be adjusting to a new classroom anyway in a couple weeks. Even if he wasn't that would probably be the least important part to us - it would be an adjustment for a couple weeks but they'll be fine!
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2022
    I am fully moved into my new work spot.  Still need to do some unpacking.  As you all know, I already had a long list of complaints.  I forgot one.  It's a cold room.  My nose already feels like ice.  I just went on Amazon and bought one of those gaiters that you can wear around your neck and then pull up over your nose.  I happened to have a pair of gloves and a sweater cardigan.  I put those on.

I hate having to dress every day like it's winter, even though I'm indoors and it's super hot outside.

Other than that, it's a good day.  Nothing special happened, I'm just in positive spirits.
    This is our office too, @short+sassy, and it’s really annoying.  My admin remembers it being stuffy and humid last year so maybe we got all new a/c units? Either way people are freezing in our office and I might bring in an illegal heater! Fire department comes in for an annual check? Good! Maybe our renting company will pay attention to the conditions! Lol

But I also wonder if that’s why I’m feeling congested and stuffy? I get summer colds if I go from extreme heat to extreme cold.  But, usually once I’m in the office, I’m in for 9 hours, not going in and out of the temperature changes. 

@charlotte989875, I’m perplexed FOR you! Ah! What to do? I would do what’s more convenient for YOU. Also, keep in mind kids make friends (usually) way easier than us adults do! 

• Options

This is our office too, @short+sassy, and it’s really annoying.  My admin remembers it being stuffy and humid last year so maybe we got all new a/c units? Either way people are freezing in our office and I might bring in an illegal heater! Fire department comes in for an annual check? Good! Maybe our renting company will pay attention to the conditions! Lol

But I also wonder if that’s why I’m feeling congested and stuffy? I get summer colds if I go from extreme heat to extreme cold.  But, usually once I’m in the office, I’m in for 9 hours, not going in and out of the temperature changes. 

@charlotte989875, I’m perplexed FOR you! Ah! What to do? I would do what’s more convenient for YOU. Also, keep in mind kids make friends (usually) way easier than us adults do! 
    We're allowed to have space heaters.  I also have a small desktop one.

The last time my desk was in this room, I often felt sick like I had a cold when I was at work.  But then would be just fine, when I left to go home.  Too much cold air does seem to wreak havoc on my nose and congestion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Edit to the above - if M was older or school aged and you're talking about moving school districts that's one thing.  At the toddler phase, they will adapt to change.
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Ugh- advice please!

Things that would be considerations for me are convenience and price for sure.  Also, what makes it "better" than the one you're at now?  Do you have any complaints about your current situation?  After sending our boys to the school in our neighborhood (as opposed to one near my work) having the convenience of our kids literally 1 minute away is amazing.  Especially now that I don' have to go to the office everyday.  If the price is significantly more, it'd be hard for me to justify unless i had major complaints about the current place.  I personally wouldn't worry as much about friends or teachers since he'd be adjusting to a new classroom anyway in a couple weeks. Even if he wasn't that would probably be the least important part to us - it would be an adjustment for a couple weeks but they'll be fine!
    I actually have zero complaints about where we are now. Besides that they don’t have full time availability in the fall, just the same 3 days he’s been going and we’ve wanted him to go a full week. My moms health still isn’t great so we wanted to go full time. 

We originally liked the other place moved classes & teachers together- so he’d stay with the same teacher even when he moved up. The prices are pretty similar although the new place is slightly more. And it would require me to go to the office 5 days a week. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Ugh- advice please!

I actually have zero complaints about where we are now. Besides that they don’t have full time availability in the fall, just the same 3 days he’s been going and we’ve wanted him to go a full week. My moms health still isn’t great so we wanted to go full time. 

We originally liked the other place moved classes & teachers together- so he’d stay with the same teacher even when he moved up. The prices are pretty similar although the new place is slightly more. And it would require me to go to the office 5 days a week. 
    If you can’t get full time care where you are now and you want it, I’d sign on the dotted line at the new place at a run. He’ll make new friends. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Ugh- advice please!

If you can’t get full time care where you are now and you want it, I’d sign on the dotted line at the new place at a run. He’ll make new friends. 
    All of this.

Also, full time availability in the fall IS a complaint.

And since my next post is going to vent about availability I'm going to say that if you need 5 days and they don't have 5 days then that's a very real reason they're not a good fit. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    Ugh- advice please!

All of this.

And since my next post is going to vent about availability I'm going to say that if you need 5 days and they don't have 5 days then that's a very real reason they're not a good fit. 
    I agree with this as well!
  • Options
    Ongoing saga.  
    Backstory/recap:  We own a boat with FIL (and MIL).  Up until May of this year, we were looking on the used market for a larger boat because the one purchased years ago holds only 5 people, lacks a head and a cabin and its size makes it less seaworthy when there are larger waves.  Flash to early May and we found and made an agreement to purchase a new (to us) boat that's old but with a new engine (the engine is clearly the majority value of the boat and that's fine).  The deal this time is that DH and I bought the boat and when the old one sold, FIL's half would go towards its cost.  He would not pay more than that up front but will pay a monthly usage to us.  Other fees at marinas/gas are split. We have a slip at a marina and the decision without consulting the marina was agree to purchase new, sell the current boat and get new boat into current slip.

Only the current slip is sized for boats that are smaller than the newest purchase.  We asked the business manager at the marina if we could trade slips and someone in a slip that would hold OUR boat could switch to the old slip.  We were told specifically by the manager to NOT ask other dockage customers and she would make one call to boat owners we knew who could do this.  When asked they said no.   

That put us in a pickle of what to do - back out of the current boat entirely or find a place for it?  We settled on getting the new boat into a boathouse that keeps the boat inside and will bring it down on an hour notice and we went on a waiting list for the next year for available slip at our marina and a differerent marina near it.  Both have pools and grills.  The pool is an important part of the deal for MIL and without it, she would likely back out on any desire to "own" it because it's not nearly worth it to her.  

According to FIL, he talked to the GM at the marina who stated that if we sold our boat, we would get a prorated refund back.  

Flash to this week: the other marina has an opening NOW.  Neither DH nor I were presented that a mid-summer switch was a likelihood.  When DH called the current marina yesterday, he was told that there were no refunds after April 1st.  FIL is pissed and claims he was lied to.  However neither DH nor I were party to his conversation with the GM and its FIL's word against the GM. 

MIL is the type to go scorched earth.  She is not afraid to tell you how she's been wronged and who wronged her.  FIL is starting to become the same way.  But FIL I've noticed as he ages is also starting to be a poorer listener and does not pick up on all the details because he is just more hasty as he ages.  

So faced with the current dilemma we are likely now going to spend the $ to get the new boat into an actual slip.  And while I'm glad we'll have it in a new place and then still have the current place for the summer (as of now) I'm frustrated.  As of now I told DH and put him in an uncomfortable spot that I want him to do the negotiations with businesses from now on.  This was more than I wanted to spend and while this isn't going to take food off the table it's not buying me the new living room set I want either.  I have zero proof but I am suspicious that we could have made different choices had DH received the full story directly from businesses (like had we known we could get in this summer we would have put the new boat on a trailer vs. spend to put it in a different place.)

I also know that this means that FIL and MIL will tell anyone who has working ears how "bad" the current marina is.  And that's not going to do wonders for any community environment we have there and it's a local place with our kids seeing some of these kids in school.  

It's also 90 degrees and I want to get in the pool tonight.  So I'm frustrated for DH, sad that I put him in this place but also feel like it's the only smart decision.  Now I just have to hope that I can master diplomacy. 

• Options
    @banana468, I'm sorry the boat drama has become even more expensive and a PITA.  Is it possible whomever you sell that boat to would want to keep the slip?  If it's already been paid for the summer, you all can tack that on to the price.  If not, maybe the marina would let them take over the lease contract.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @banana468, I'm sorry the boat drama has become even more expensive and a PITA.  Is it possible whomever you sell that boat to would want to keep the slip?  If it's already been paid for the summer, you all can tack that on to the price.  If not, maybe the marina would let them take over the lease contract.
    That is something that we can investigate.  The tricky part is getting it purchased and then finding out if the marina will let us sublet our spot. 

They haven't been great to work with this year and I do have my own gripes about how they did business.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    Ugh- advice please!

All of this.

This is very true. I love everything except the full time availability. And I just checked and they don’t expect to have it until spring (unless a family leaves). The other place has it now. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    Ugh- advice please!

All of this.

This is very true. I love everything except the full time availability. And I just checked and they don’t expect to have it until spring (unless a family leaves). The other place has it now. 
    Unless you wind up in my situation and you're paying for two places at the SAME TIME!
  • Options
    Kids are resilient  @charlotte989875. Definitely go with what fits convenience and finance wise.

@MissKittyDanger we have a shark steam mop and I love it. I use it on our tile and LVT. So much better than a mop and bucket. Also no cleaning chemicals! It also dries super fast since it is steam and not water. Do not use it on hardwood. I know it says it can be used on sealed hardwood, but I checked with the people who installed our hardwood and they said they don't even like to use a mop with water because of the possibility of warping.