Wedding Woes

Tuesdays, sigh

2»

Re: Tuesdays, sigh

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2022
    VarunaTT said:
    Oh man, that Brooks concert was a shitshow.  I laughed and laughed, not at the poor attendees, but Johnny Morris is not well loved amongst my circle and I just love to see his fail.  

I don't think Branson is fun or exciting, but it's not meant to appeal to me.  There are specific things I enjoy, but I rarely venture to the area.  The one thing I do love and I gone multiple times are the wine adventures at Big Cedar Lodge.  It's an entire weekend built around a specific vineyard.  They have tastings, classes, and a huge paired meal at the end and it's really lovely.  I will usually suck it up every 2-3 years and go to Silver Dollar City to see their Christmas displays, b/c it really is gorgeous.  The outlet shopping isn't quite as good as it used to be, but if you want really specific shops, they are there and it is worth it still.  As far as the shows go, I can't remember who is there anymore, but most of the performers are excellent and the staging is usually at least decent.  Plus you're close to me and I will come out to meet  you (I missed @short+sassy b/c I just got too damn sick, but I have met a handful of Knotties that way).
    That's why I didn't think it would be my kind of vacation place.  I like pretty scenery and easy hikes, but don't do any of the other outdoorsy stuff.  I thought it would be too overloaded on "family friendly" and kitschy stuff.  It was definitely all of that, lol.  But I liked it anyway.

These wine adventures you speak of sound even more my style.  It was mentioned that Silver Dollar City goes all out for Christmas and is a sight to behold.  The woman who ran the workshop said Christmas is HUGE in Branson also.  If you don't have your Christmas decorations up w/in a week of Halloween ending, your neighbors will side-eye you hard. 

The only show I had time to see was the Dolly Parton Stampede.  I knew it was going to be kitschy.  I knew it was going to be gaggingly patriotic.  But all the reviews talked about what a great show it was and I totally agree.

On a sour note, I got a vibe even before I went that it was a very politically conservative place.  And that was just reinforced even more while I was there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    Oh man, that Brooks concert was a shitshow.  I laughed and laughed, not at the poor attendees, but Johnny Morris is not well loved amongst my circle and I just love to see his fail.  

I don't think Branson is fun or exciting, but it's not meant to appeal to me.  There are specific things I enjoy, but I rarely venture to the area.  The one thing I do love and I gone multiple times are the wine adventures at Big Cedar Lodge.  It's an entire weekend built around a specific vineyard.  They have tastings, classes, and a huge paired meal at the end and it's really lovely.  I will usually suck it up every 2-3 years and go to Silver Dollar City to see their Christmas displays, b/c it really is gorgeous.  The outlet shopping isn't quite as good as it used to be, but if you want really specific shops, they are there and it is worth it still.  As far as the shows go, I can't remember who is there anymore, but most of the performers are excellent and the staging is usually at least decent.  Plus you're close to me and I will come out to meet  you (I missed @short+sassy b/c I just got too damn sick, but I have met a handful of Knotties that way).
    That's why I didn't think it would be my kind of vacation place.  I like pretty scenery and easy hikes, but don't do any of the other outdoorsy stuff.  I thought it would be too overloaded on "family friendly" and kitschy stuff.  It was definitely all of that, lol.  But I liked it anyway.

These wine adventures you speak of sound even more my style.  It was mentioned that Silver Dollar City goes all out for Christmas and is a sight to behold. 

The only show I had time to see was the Dolly Parton Stampede.  I knew it was going to be kitschy.  I knew it was going to be gaggingly patriotic.  But all the reviews talked about what a great show it was and I totally agree.

On a sour note, I got a vibe even before I went that it was a very politically conservative place.  And that was just reinforced even more while I was there. 
    That's putting it mildly, to be sure.
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2022
    Do I need to go to Branson? Is it that good?
    I liked it more than I thought I would, even though I didn't have much free time.

There is a lot to do.  A combo of outdoorsy stuff and shows.  There are a lot of shows.  I thought it would be more concerts and country and western type shows, but it wasn't.  Maybe they have concerts in the summer/high season, but there weren't any when I was there.

There are all different kinds of shows.  Magic, singing (many types), and plays.

For outdoors, there's lots of water sports, ie boating/fishing/jet skiing.  So much hiking available.  There are also caverns that can be explored.  Dollywood theme park is around there.  Special activities like ziplining and off road vehicle tours.

The Bass Pro founder pretty much owns that area.  He recently opened a new huge stadium (I think) about 30 minutes away from Branson.  There was a highly anticipated Garth Brooks concert happening there about two weeks after our workshop.

I caught an article about it, after the fact.  The woman running my workshop had predicted it was going to be a shit show, traffic-wise, because they don't have the road infrastructure yet to get 10,000+ people to his venue.

Wow!  It sure was.  I felt so bad listening to the horror stories.  People who spent thousands of dollars on tickets and travel expenses for this show.  And then sat in gridlocked traffic for hours and never made it to the show.

There was a parking area, where people could then get on a shuttle.  But the shuttles couldn't get through the traffic either.  So people hiked it 1 1/2 miles to the stadium.  But had still paid $40+ to park their car there.

And the same problems to leave.

The stadium was sold out, but only about 60-70% of people caught any part of the show.  And then Garth himself was supposed to perform until 9:45, but he ended it at 9PM.

Massive refunds happening.
    You had me at "caverns".

• kerbohl said:
    I liked it more than I thought I would, even though I didn't have much free time.

There is a lot to do.  A combo of outdoorsy stuff and shows.  There are a lot of shows.  I thought it would be more concerts and country and western type shows, but it wasn't.  Maybe they have concerts in the summer/high season, but there weren't any when I was there.

There are all different kinds of shows.  Magic, singing (many types), and plays.

For outdoors, there's lots of water sports, ie boating/fishing/jet skiing.  So much hiking available.  There are also caverns that can be explored.  Dollywood theme park is around there.  Special activities like ziplining and off road vehicle tours.

The Bass Pro founder pretty much owns that area.  He recently opened a new huge stadium (I think) about 30 minutes away from Branson.  There was a highly anticipated Garth Brooks concert happening there about two weeks after our workshop.

I caught an article about it, after the fact.  The woman running my workshop had predicted it was going to be a shit show, traffic-wise, because they don't have the road infrastructure yet to get 10,000+ people to his venue.

Wow!  It sure was.  I felt so bad listening to the horror stories.  People who spent thousands of dollars on tickets and travel expenses for this show.  And then sat in gridlocked traffic for hours and never made it to the show.

There was a parking area, where people could then get on a shuttle.  But the shuttles couldn't get through the traffic either.  So people hiked it 1 1/2 miles to the stadium.  But had still paid $40+ to park their car there.

The stadium was sold out, but only about 60-70% of people caught any part of the show.  And then Garth himself was supposed to perform until 9:45, but he ended it at 9PM.

You had me at "caverns".
    MO is the cave state b/c the ground is mostly limestone.  There's quite a few you can go through, but the fancy one is the one they can drive you through, Fantastic Caverns.  That one also has an interesting history.  Silver Dollar City also has one that you can go through while you're at the park, though I think it's an additional charge.  We even have one in my city that you can make a special reservation to go through and there are tunnels that you can get extraordinarily muddy in and that mud does not come out (learned from experience) of your clothes.  :)  If you are interested, do some research though, b/c a lot of them have been closing down due to white nose syndrome in the bats and trying to get it under control.
  • VarunaTT said:
    kerbohl said:

You had me at "caverns".
    MO is the cave state b/c the ground is mostly limestone.  There's quite a few you can go through, but the fancy one is the one they can drive you through, Fantastic Caverns.  That one also has an interesting history.  Silver Dollar City also has one that you can go through while you're at the park, though I think it's an additional charge.  We even have one in my city that you can make a special reservation to go through and there are tunnels that you can get extraordinarily muddy in and that mud does not come out (learned from experience) of your clothes.  :)  If you are interested, do some research though, b/c a lot of them have been closing down due to white nose syndrome in the bats and trying to get it under control.
    Oh, that's sad - I heard about the poor bats.  I hear it is a reason why they think bees are dying as well, since apparently bees and bats are linked.

I love caves.  I can't imagine one so pick you can drive through!  That's fantastic.  I do like the ones you climb through though, as long as they aren't too tight.

VarunaTT
  • kerbohl said:
    VarunaTT said:
    kerbohl said:

You had me at "caverns".
    Oh, that's sad - I heard about the poor bats.  I hear it is a reason why they think bees are dying as well, since apparently bees and bats are linked.

I love caves.  I can't imagine one so pick you can drive through!  That's fantastic.  I do like the ones you climb through though, as long as they aren't too tight.
    Alas, I only saw the billboards and pics.  But they are massive and have high "ceilings" in places.  Plenty of room to walk around.  Lots of the cool kinds of cave formations you'd envision in your best cave dreams.

I know I was in caves like that once, as a child.  But I'm not sure where I was.  I suspect it was Carlsbad Caverns in NM.  We had one driving trip where we stopped in a bunch of places and I know we were in Taos for a couple days.  That's my evidence, lol.  I know I saw caverns somewhere and I know I was in NM once, so maybe it was those.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    kerbohl
  • kerbohl said:
    VarunaTT said:
    kerbohl said:

You had me at "caverns".

Alas, I only saw the billboards and pics.  But they are massive and have high "ceilings" in places.  Plenty of room to walk around.  Lots of the cool kinds of cave formations you'd envision in your best cave dreams.

I know I was in caves like that once, as a child.  But I'm not sure where I was.  I suspect it was Carlsbad Caverns in NM.  We had one driving trip where we stopped in a bunch of places and I know we were in Taos for a couple days.  That's my evidence, lol.  I know I saw caverns somewhere and I know I was in NM once, so maybe it was those.
    Carlsbad is really great too, though I had a cave swallow poop in my hair in the big walk up.

Im fascinated by the crystal caves in Mexico.  National Geo on Disney Plus has a special about it for those interested.  I know I'll never see it in person (normal people can't go through b/c it takes special heat equipment), but I've watched that special like 3 times.
  • Oh!  Speaking of underground places.

There is a salt mine in Poland where workers, over hundreds of years, have carved out a church.  It has four cathedral rooms.  The altars, statues, decorations, some furnishings, and walls.  Carved out of salt.  It's 1,000 feet below ground.

They started excavating the mine in the 1300s and it was still in operation into the 1990s!  The mining stopped, but the church part is open for tours now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    VarunaTT

There is a salt mine in Poland where workers, over hundreds of years, have carved out a church.  It has four cathedral rooms.  The altars, statues, decorations, some furnishings, and walls.  Carved out of salt.  It's 1,000 feet below ground.

They started excavating the mine in the 1300s and it was still in operation into the 1990s!  The mining stopped, but the church part is open for tours now.
    That sounds amazing!

charlotte989875

My sister has been there!!! Rave reviews :)
    short+sassy