Wedding Woes
Options

Fri-yay!

This Friday kind of snuck up on me.  I'm not mad about that!  

I'm going to have to be careful with the Liteboxer.  I loooooooove it.  I know I liked boxing, but man, punching to the music, with it almost feeling like a rhythm video game?  This is exercise nirvana for me.  I had met a friend out last night and had 2 drinks (I do diet ginger beer with vodka and just keep pouring more ginger beer into it), and then friend came over to try it out.  They left fairly soon after that.  I thought, I shoudl just go to bed.  Oooorrrr, I can totally do a workout.  So I did, about 30 minutes of punching tracks to 90s rock.  One Headlight is oddly a great song to punch to.  I Alone by Alive felt horrible to punch to, b/c I've always felt like it was such a violent song, though I do love it.  I'm not sore, but still a little tender.  I'm going to have to wrap my right pinky finger to my ring finger though.   My hands are a bit tender from the punching and apparently, I hold my right pinky finger up all the time as well as a lot of typing.  It's fatiguing the muscle and making it sore.  So, I'll make it relax this weekend.

Related question:  I want to get an Android table to mount to be able to watch the classes a bit better.  Any recommendations for a cheap, large tablet?  Shopping on Amazon is starting to become a frustrating experience, so I thought I'd ask.

I have a shipment from Athletic Greens, hopefully at the post office?  Apparently, I have a new mail person, who doesn't seem to have an access code to get into my complex, so it's been causing delivery issues.  I spoke with the nice woman at the post office annex about what was going on and they're trying to get it fixed.  My BFF has been using this stuff and said it's made a real difference for him (and Lewis Hamilton and Hubermann Labs both endorse it, so I fell for advertising too), so I thought I'd try it.  

Otherwise, not much this weekend.  Same old, same old.  I'll come it to work for a bit tomorrow.  Clean the apartment.  I also need to start putting together my stuff for my boudoir session in March.  Eep!

Re: Fri-yay!

• Options
    I'm so glad you love the lifeboxer, that sounds like such a fun workout! 

Boys are back at school today, G had a good appointment yesterday and N is finally feeling better. Except now i have a cough and H is feeling like crap. I'm behind at work and it's frustrating because i should be working a lot faster than I am and it's super hard to focus when i'm out every other day because someone is sick. My boss is understanding but i still feel like i'm letting ppl down and i don't like it. 

Debating on whether we should go to IL's for brunch tomorrow with the whole family. Might be a game time decision. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
  • Options
    @VarunaTT, I'm glad you like the LIfeboxer so much!  I wish I craved exercising, lol.  I forgot you had won that boudoir session.  Sounds fun!

An extra good Friday for me.  I work halfdays anyway.  Work is mellow and I should be able to leave right at 11am.  I'll have time to go home for a few hours.  Have lunch, light packing, maybe even take a nap.  And then we're leaving for Biloxi at around 2:30.

The other thing I want to do this weekend is put together my "elevator pitch" to WFH, once I move to FL.  I figure this will be a relaxing time for my H to give me feedback/ideas on what to say.  I'm planning to meet with the "big boss" next week.

I'm really nervous about it.  I'm moving either way.  But so many things would be a LOT easier if I can bring my job with me.

I don't know him very well at all.  He's in a different building and previously handled projects for a different client.  So he didn't become my boss until about six months ago and I've only had a conversation with him a few times.  There's a rumor that he is also one of the members of upper management that is staunchly on the anti-WFH side.

I feel confident with the major points I'll make for WFH.  But it's those first few opening sentences that I want to have down pat and strong.  Especially since I already know it isn't something positive, from his perspective. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I totally understand @casadena either I’m sick or M is and my manager keeps saying just rest and take care of us I still feel like I’m behind and letting everyone down. And I’m sick on top of feeling that way. 
  • Options
    Yay for Friday! It's been such a busy week at work, and then MIL has been here all week. I know she really tries to be out of the way and not disruptive, but it's still annoying to have someone just hanging around the house all day while I'm trying to work. 

Nothing much on tap this weekend. We'll probably take MIL out for dinner tonight. Long run and yoga tomorrow, then I'll probably sit on my ass all afternoon while H takes her to the airport. It's looking like decent weather, so outside as much as possible. 
  • Options
    @VarunaTT So curious about the Athletic Greens. I feel like every podcast I listen to has an ad for it. 

So happy it's Friday! They're bringing in lunch for us today, so I'm already excited about that. Most likely we'll get out early too. It's a very unseasonably 56 degrees right now too. 
    We have my nephew's rescheduled 1st birthday party this weekend. He just started walking too! 
    Sunday we're making lots of food and watching the Super Bowl. 
  • Options
    So wait the tour guides were the owners AND they asked for tips. That’s a big no from me. You’re a proprietor you don’t get to ask for more money on top of what you’re charging. 

I do like being able to tip via Venmo/Zelle. When I valet parked at a hotel last year I didn’t have cash and asked the valet guy if I could Venmo him and he was ready with his code. I thought it was great! 
  • Options
    The owners were the guides and asked for tips? Oh hell no! That was already an expensive tour! 
  • Options
    So wait the tour guides were the owners AND they asked for tips. That’s a big no from me. You’re a proprietor you don’t get to ask for more money on top of what you’re charging. 

I do like being able to tip via Venmo/Zelle. When I valet parked at a hotel last year I didn’t have cash and asked the valet guy if I could Venmo him and he was ready with his code. I thought it was great! 
    Yup! And he didn’t even hide that fact! Someone on the tour asked of he had another job and he said “yeah I own a small business during the day”.
    We know. Your wife checked us in, and I probably would have bought the entire store if I had time, money and space in my suitcase lol!

i love zelle/venmo because I AM the person who never carries cash! Naahville performers announce their venmo number or email and I think it’s great and that’s 100% appropriate 

• Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2023
    @CharmedPam I knew I loved boxing already and had looked at the Liteboxer for awhile.  Boxing was the one exercise I ever stuck with and was willing to go to the gym for.  I just ran into some life conflicts and by the time those were over, the place I went to had revamped their boxing for Parkinson's patients, so wasn't about fitness anymore. The other places in town had high potential to be dude bro gyms and I wasn't interested in dealing with that at all, as well as I don't think I'm super interested in ever sparring or actually hitting a human.

It's an investment for the machine and the membership monthly fee isn't cheap, though its about the same as a gym membership.  It was fairly easy to put together, but I do think you need a 2nd person.  The pieces are large and fairly heavy.  I did do the stand alone machine, but they have a wall system (I just can't imagine that ages well) and a VR system, which does get great reviews.  But I've tried VR exercises before and I don't stick with them.  I just love everything about boxing, from wrapping my hands, to putting the gloves on, and just the sheer badassness I feel when I throw and return a really excellent, perfectly executed, hard punch.  I haven't done any of the classes yet, b/c I'm just having so much fun with the punch tracks with music.  I am going to try this weekend.

The only thing I don't like is that the tablet you're using to watch/hook up is below you, about knee height on me.  I don't have an Android/Ipad anymore, I switched to a surface and even with an emulator, can't get the Liteboxer app on it, so I'm using my phone.  For just the punch tracks, it's no big deal, but for the classes it might be.  I think I want to buy the largest, cheapest Android tablet I can and mount it on the wall, along with a nice Bluetooth speaker so that the music sounds good. 

I haven't used the weights that came with it yet (they're all bands), so I'm hoping to catch a class with those this weekend, just to experiment.  The other thing that I have noticed about boxing is that I'm absolutely willing to do strength work to box better.  So, I finally just decided to put all my eggs in this basket and see how it works out.  I'm hopeful I can stick with this one.

ETA:  My friend and I that put it together were actually super impressed with how easily it went together, how well it was packaged, and how clear the instructions were.  I recommend having a power drill of some sort for the allen wrenches or it might take forever.  Also, when you start screwing things together, do them in pairs.  So half way tighten screw 1, go to screw 2 and tighten, then go back to screw 1 and finish tightening.  We finally figured that out about half way through.

EETA:  The FB group is actually pretty active and super supportive.  You can virtually spar with people and have matches, or just challenge each other and there are lots of posts with people doing that.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2023
    Oh man! I have to wait for my parents to come visit me then :(. ((((Parents)))). I have friends come over once every 6 months lol
    do i need the membership?  I’m not a music workout person, and they’re all done via watching TV shows.  Can I just punch and watch? I don’t care about workouts programs and definitely not music….. for ANY equipment I own.  I freestyle my treadmill and bike too.

• Options
    @VarunaTT So curious about the Athletic Greens. I feel like every podcast I listen to has an ad for it. 

So happy it's Friday! They're bringing in lunch for us today, so I'm already excited about that. Most likely we'll get out early too. It's a very unseasonably 56 degrees right now too. 
    We have my nephew's rescheduled 1st birthday party this weekend. He just started walking too! 
    Sunday we're making lots of food and watching the Super Bowl. 
    My BFF started using it and said he noticed an improvement in his skin, energy, and (for him), psoriasis.  I like Hubermann Labs podcast, b/c they're pretty much considered the best in terms of scientifically backed health (of all kinds) information.  I just love Lewis Hamilton and bear no shame about it.  My eating habits right now are probably not the healthiest, so I figured adding it couldn't hurt anything.
  • Options
    @VarunaTT is it like a video game? I loved Just Dance honestly and althought I'm at the gym now, I wish I could find something at home to do

@Casadena it's lucky your boss understands. Some don't but everything you've been through, it's good.

@CharmedPam I get annoyed when it's asked for tips. Get your employer to pay you properly! This shouldn't be mandatory.
    I always tip also but good lord this is just awful.

@MyNameIsNot I must have missed it, why was your MIL there? Just visiting?
  • Options
    Oh man! I have to wait for my parents to come visit me then :(. ((((Parents)))). I have friends come over once every 6 months lol
    do i need the membership?  I’m not a music workout person, and they’re all done via watching TV shows.  Can I just punch and watch? I don’t care about workouts programs and definitely not music….. for ANY equipment I own.  I freestyle my treadmill and bike too.
    So, I know there is the "free" membership and the premium.  The free seems to be fairly limited in terms of music and classes.

I know there are people in the FB group that talk about knowing their combinations well enough that they can free punch to any music they want.  They play Spotify and punch, the app still tracks number of punches and force for you.  So, IDK why you wouldn't be able to just punch while watching a TV show.  In my mind, if you're not going to use the music tracks and punching the lights to the rhythm and all the other stuff, a punching bag would be much cheaper and seem to serve the same purpose.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2023
    @MissKittyDanger It almost is.  You have the punch board in front of you.  There are 6 sensors that you punch at.  There are lights that come out from the middle and go to each individual sensor to tell you to punch that one.  Those lights are set to the rhythm of the music.  When you hit it successfully, it lights up, it you're late, it lights red.

I haven't done a class yet, so can't speak to that.

The big...IDK, box on the bottom of the punch board is for uppercuts and is only used in classes (which makes sense, b/c there's not way to light it). 

This advertising video does a good show of showing how it looks when using it (sorry for everyone's ads now):  https://youtu.be/J0T-Rn4N6NY

ETA:  I also loved Just Dance and I've loved VR "workout" games a lot, but I just never stick with them.  Just b/c I know I really loved boxing in a training/gym and stuck with it until obligations interefered, rather than just quitting, I thought this was a good fit for me.
  • Options
    Dentist appt tomorrow. Another big one - not sure if filling or root canal.
    M is dropping me off and my mum is picking me up.

M is taking BK to see his nanny, and since I'm not usually with it or I've got sore jaw, I'm not going. I'll probably crash after M does grocery pick up. Sleep off the numbing.
    Luckily I can force myself to stay awake while M does grocery pick up, and BK is fairly well behaved that my spaced out self is fine.

Tbh I trust her enough that I've taken a nap while she played in her room {stair gate latched obv}
    Hopefully all is okay with this one. I got a nasty headache last time.
  • Options
    Good luck at dentist @MissKittyDanger
    Glad that the new workout is such a good fit @VarunaTT and that the boys are back at school @Casadena
    Morale is low at work bc we have a new principal and a new superintendant and they've both been making things rough for months.  The faculty had our annual super bowl potluck...when there's wings, spinach dip, chips and guac, etc on every available surface in the faculty room it should feel festive and fun, but it didn't.  Sick of the atmosphere, and thankful for Friday.

Weekend holds a few things but thankfully not as busy as last weekend.
  • Options
    Happy it is Friday, though it has been a good week.  I was out yesterday, so a short week for me.

I wanted to weight in on the Netflix discussion that people were having earlier this week.  I don't pay for Netflix, but mostly because we decided to drop it as a streaming service.  We passed the account on to MIL, so we still have the login when we want to watch stuff, but we watch it so infrequently, it just isn't worth it.  I'm liking Disney + lately, and I watch a lot of Youtube.  Plus we have so many home movies - we just finished watching Game of Thrones (I know, I know ... behind the times).  If they do kick us off, it will have pretty much 0 effect on us.  If we get tired of Disney we might switch back, but I doubt it.  Simpsons, Futurama, Firefly, all Pixar, all Marvel .... my cup of tea!  So for people who want to watch it for a movie here or there, it just isn't worth the price, even at $6.99/month.  Might as well just buy the movie you want at that point.  

• Options

@CharmedPam I get annoyed when it's asked for tips. Get your employer to pay you properly! This shouldn't be mandatory.

To a certain degree I can see it in places like service locations: making coffee, sandwiches, small business type settings.    In some of those locations employees are often allowed to pay under minimum wage so there should be tips added.   It's mind boggling to me that this is how the industry is actually set to function so that the employee's wages are expected to be paid by the customers.  I'm a tipper and always will but it's frustrating that people can cheap out and their cheapness is what prevents the servers from making money.   I'm a big believer that if you can't afford the tip then you can't afford to go out to eat, have that haircut, etc.

But it's also understood that business owners are pricing the cost themselves and the profits - so the need to tip them is far less.  Not cool tour company! 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    So, I know there is the "free" membership and the premium.  The free seems to be fairly limited in terms of music and classes.

I know there are people in the FB group that talk about knowing their combinations well enough that they can free punch to any music they want.  They play Spotify and punch, the app still tracks number of punches and force for you.  So, IDK why you wouldn't be able to just punch while watching a TV show.  In my mind, if you're not going to use the music tracks and punching the lights to the rhythm and all the other stuff, a punching bag would be much cheaper and seem to serve the same purpose.
    Yeah but I guess I’m pretty rough with it, and it already has a hole in it.  It’s a good brand too.

• Options
    I get annoyed when it's asked for tips. Get your employer to pay you properly! This shouldn't be mandatory.

I don't really think most employees, especially service workers, have the ability to get employers to pay them properly. This is notoriously a sector of workers that have no power. I'm happy to tip service workers even though I think the tipping system is bullshit, but this is a case where the person is the owner of the company. He's not a low wage employee!

MIL came for H's birthday, but I have no idea why she felt the need to come during the week instead of over a weekend. 
  • Options
    @banana468, bourbon suggestion: Jefferson's Old Rum Cask finish.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Thank you!  DH got me a Knob Creek 12 year that is sadly nearly gone.  For his birthday I ordered a bottle called Prideful Goat that has been great and another that he hasn't shared.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Thank you!  DH got me a Knob Creek 12 year that is sadly nearly gone.  For his birthday I ordered a bottle called Prideful Goat that has been great and another that he hasn't shared.

What a great name!

• Options
    I get annoyed when it's asked for tips. Get your employer to pay you properly! This shouldn't be mandatory.

I don't really think most employees, especially service workers, have the ability to get employers to pay them properly. This is notoriously a sector of workers that have no power. I'm happy to tip service workers even though I think the tipping system is bullshit, but this is a case where the person is the owner of the company. He's not a low wage employee!

MIL came for H's birthday, but I have no idea why she felt the need to come during the week instead of over a weekend. 
    Exactly that, 100%. I will happily tip any and all service workers. In those type of industries, there's no such thing as "telling your employer to pay you better". 

My hairdresser technically is her own boss. However, she rents a chair in Sola Salons and has to set her prices accordingly. I will still tip her. 

But these people running their own tour company, setting the (high) prices of the tour? N.O. 
  • Options
    Does anyone else like tipping cash to the servers because of all the stories of employers keeping tips?  If I pay with a credit card, I don't know how easy it is for my server to keep their tips, so I always prefer to pay tips with cash if I can.

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    Does anyone else like tipping cash to the servers because of all the stories of employers keeping tips?  If I pay with a credit card, I don't know how easy it is for my server to keep their tips, so I always prefer to pay tips with cash if I can.
    It's really really rare for me to have cash on me.  I generally tip on my CC.

The only place where I tip out in cash or write a check directly is when I get my hair cut because there you can't add the tip on your credit card. 
  • Options
    We banana468 said:
    kerbohl said:
    It's really really rare for me to have cash on me.  I generally tip on my CC.

The only place where I tip out in cash or write a check directly is when I get my hair cut because there you can't add the tip on your credit card. 
    Same- I basically only do cash for the nail salon.