Wedding Woes
Options

Start removing yourself from the disrespect.

Dear Prudence,

The relationship I have with my stepmother is a complicated one, and I feel like it’s starting to compromise my relationship with my father. For context: My biological mother is alive and we are very close, and my stepmother has been in my life since I was 6 years old. I have no siblings or stepsiblings, and my parents divorced when I was quite young. In my childhood, my stepmother and I were very close, and I thought of her as a second mother. Once I reached my teenage years, I had a very difficult time and struggled with depression, self-esteem, and risk-taking behaviors, often to the detriment of my parents, who had to deal with my sneaking out, lying, etc. My stepmother was particularly wounded by this behavior, and our relationship has not been the same since. I’ve apologized and made amends several times over, but every couple of years, her resentment crops up and she ignores me, lashes out at me, or starts fights with me. She reads malice into all of my words and actions, and seems convinced that I always have an ulterior motive. I’m 27 now, and I’m tired of being punished for the sins of my youth. My father stands passively by, and maintains that our relationship is between us, and has nothing to do with him. I’m growing very frustrated with both of them, and tired of being treated this way. How should I navigate this situation?

— Evil Stepdaughter

Re: Start removing yourself from the disrespect.

• Options
    Your dad sucks, as does your step mother. I'd ask to speak with them both and lay it out out there. Yes, you made mistakes, but you apologized and are an adult now, and you should all be able to move on. And if they don't agree, distance yourself and set boundaries. 

Shit, I put my parents through hell when I was a teenager, as did my brother. I can't imagine them still holding on to to a grudge from that. How ridiculous and immature.