Wedding Woes

You never, ever noticed this about Chad before?

Dear Prudence,

I (35F) have a new roommate, “Chad” (28M). He has so far been very courteous about shared spaces, and coordinating use of said shared spaces, which I greatly appreciate. He has been communicative about having guests over and sensitive to keeping noise down. I hope we have a harmonious cohabitation relationship for a long time! We were acquaintances who’d hung out a few times before he moved in, and he’s a really nice person.

The problem is with conversations. Chad is extremely self-absorbed and not only constantly steers the conversation towards himself, but dominates it to boot. I might say one thing, like “I work tomorrow from 2-10” and his response will be, “Well it doesn’t matter, because I have a meeting at such and such time, then I’m having lunch with a friend, then I’m doing this, oh and then I have this thing, and after that…” on and on, telling me every single detail. And not just when it comes to scheduling or logistics; I might say something on a personal note like, “I don’t talk to my sister much” and he’ll take that as an opportunity to tell me not only that he’s really close with his sister, but also the nature of their relationship, some jokes and experiences they’ve shared, several facts about her … it is absolutely exhausting and decidedly NOT fun for this introvert who really values conversational and relational balance. To make matters worse, when I am able to get a word in, he tramples all over me then too. And he interrupts me All. The. Time. I am about to lose my mind. It’s only been two weeks.

The excuses he gives are “Oh that’s just my ADHD” or “Yeah, you know me, I’m a talker!” As a female, I am in general very sensitive to being interrupted and verbally bulldozed by men, and will assert myself strongly—“Please don’t interrupt me,” “I’m still speaking,” “Can I finish?” etc. Or sometimes I will even pointedly increase my volume and repeat one sentence until they get the hint and stop interrupting me before I go on. But I want my home to remain a harmonious place, and am not sure such an aggressive approach will serve me as well in this instance.

If he finds me totally uninteresting as a person, honestly, that’s fine. I don’t need his attention or interest to know that I am enough. What I do need is balance. How do I approach this? What should I say? I don’t want to sound mean or nagging or demanding (and thank you patriarchy, for teaching me that I am inherently those things just for asserting my needs … *eye roll* … the unlearning continues!), but I can’t keep being conversationally leeched either.

— It Doesn’t Have to Be 50/50

Re: You never, ever noticed this about Chad before?

• "Chad I appreciate hearing your stories but right now I need to let this one out,"  or "Chad I appreciate that you want to share so much but right now I'm feeling tapped out and am going to go get a book." 

If that doesn't help you may need to start wearing ear pods around him just to give an idea that you're not listening. 
  • Someone on my team does this and we’re struggling with how to give her that feedback. It’s hurting her relationships with other with on the team and it’s TOUGH. 
  • Someone on my team does this and we’re struggling with how to give her that feedback. It’s hurting her relationships with other with on the team and it’s TOUGH. 
    IMO - there's a time for it and when it's affecting the workplace that's when you do need to push back.

"You have a tendency to hear a topic that unites you to a person however once you start speaking others aren't able to contribute because it sounds like a lecture."  

The difference here though is that the LW lives with the guy vs. working relationships and the need to give that feedback because you can be screwing up the workplace dynamic. 
  • LW you self-admittedly moved a guy in that you had met a 'few' times and were 'acquaintances' vs. friends with.  It doesn't sound like you did a full 'vetting' process on him as far as what your 'standards' are for a compatible ('harmonious') living situation.  

So your options are to suck it up, be uncomfortable, find ways to ignore him, and wait for the lease to run out.  OR, you can try to find a way to assert yourself and/or come to an understanding with Chad regarding your need to decompress and/or don't need to hear his life history when you say something like, "I love spaghetti.  It was the best thing my mom made growing up." 

It honestly sounds to me like Chad is trying to get to know LW better and they just don't have the right conversation wavelength.  The issues LW brings up sound fairly innocuous, not that they're not annoying, but it doesn't sound like he's being malicious.  Just doesn't know how to stop his mouth from running away from him.  

And this makes me think of the weaponized therapy speak discourse we had recently.  There has been such a push in the zeitgeist in the last few years to not assume anything about anyone else's experiences/feelings/etc., so it ends up being a situation where you talk about yourself in order to connect with people because you don't want to appear that you're co-opting someone else's experience or assuming their feelings about a particular subject or situation.  

IDK, I'm finding LW's personal 'rules' about living with them (that they don't indicate they laid out before Chad moved in) just as annoying as Chad's over-talking.  Admit you wanted the financial arrangement of having a roommate more than you thought about what moving in essentially a stranger would entail. 
  • It's been two weeks ... they might just be excited to get to know LW a bit better and just come off a bit too chatty at the beginning.    

If it is really bad, they could make their talks more structured?  "I'd like to talk about my day, and then I'd love to hear about yours".  But it sounds like LW might have already tried that.  

• It sounds like the LW has already at least said something to Chad.  Because she talks about excuses he gives, ie ADHD.

At least for now, I think she should focus more on the being interrupted because that is clearly rude behavior that can be called out to work on a resolution.  It seems like Chad knows this is an issue he has.

At a calm and relaxed time, the LW should bring up this tendency and ask him what are ways they can work on this.  She should also use positive statements, so he feels less attacked.  Like, "You're a good person and I know you don't mean to make me feel bad.  But that's how I feel when you interrupt me and roll over whatever I'm saying."    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    LW you self-admittedly moved a guy in that you had met a 'few' times and were 'acquaintances' vs. friends with.  It doesn't sound like you did a full 'vetting' process on him as far as what your 'standards' are for a compatible ('harmonious') living situation.  

So your options are to suck it up, be uncomfortable, find ways to ignore him, and wait for the lease to run out.  OR, you can try to find a way to assert yourself and/or come to an understanding with Chad regarding your need to decompress and/or don't need to hear his life history when you say something like, "I love spaghetti.  It was the best thing my mom made growing up." 

It honestly sounds to me like Chad is trying to get to know LW better and they just don't have the right conversation wavelength.  The issues LW brings up sound fairly innocuous, not that they're not annoying, but it doesn't sound like he's being malicious.  Just doesn't know how to stop his mouth from running away from him.  

And this makes me think of the weaponized therapy speak discourse we had recently.  There has been such a push in the zeitgeist in the last few years to not assume anything about anyone else's experiences/feelings/etc., so it ends up being a situation where you talk about yourself in order to connect with people because you don't want to appear that you're co-opting someone else's experience or assuming their feelings about a particular subject or situation.  

IDK, I'm finding LW's personal 'rules' about living with them (that they don't indicate they laid out before Chad moved in) just as annoying as Chad's over-talking.  Admit you wanted the financial arrangement of having a roommate more than you thought about what moving in essentially a stranger would entail. 
    all of this 100%
  • You don't have to have these kinds of conversations with roommates. One of the best roommates I ever had was someone that I had basically no relationship with. She was nice enough, but we just did our separate things and didn't really interact beyond logistical stuff. We lived together for two years and I couldn't tell you whether she had a sister. 
  • I didn’t even get to the third paragraph and i was thinking “chad has ADHD.” I think he’s talking that way as a misguided attempt to have shared experiences and connect. He doesn’t sound malicious. But you moved in after two weeks of knowing the guy. There was bound to be some kind of an annoyance. That’s just having a roommate in general.