Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Guestbook Alternative

Hey all,

I want more than just people signing their names on a line that I will probably never look at, so I am trying something different for my guestbook. There will be lines for them to sign their names, but each page will have a different question (i.e. What is your favorite memory of the couple? or "When did you know they were perfect for each other?") to make it more fun an personal. I know this could take up some time, so it will be available before the ceremony and also at the reception so everyone has a chance to write. Has anyone else tried this? What I need most is a list of good questions! Any help or suggestions are welcome. : )

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Guestbook Alternative

• To be completely honest, and not to be peeing in your cheerios, but after a week or so, you won't be looking at the "enhanced guestbook" either.  Ask the married couples you know how often they peruse their guestbook. 

As a guest, I have to be honest.  I prefer signing my name, than having to think of some witty bon mot or piece of advice.

Sorry.  But guest books are something that people spend a lot of time thinking about only to realize two months after the wedding that it was simply not all that important.

But good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Something to think about is the amount of time it will take for people to jot down answers to these questions.  The line will back up.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• edited April 2011
    check out guestbookstore.com.  I bought this guestbook and you can customize it and personalize it a couple different ways. I love mine. The paper is high quality and the album is very nice. Its a very unique way of having your guests sign more than just their name. Each guest/couple gets a page and there is 3 or 4 questions on each page. I wanted something different and unique. You can also add pictures of your guests. I decided not to. It may be something you are looking for or it may just give you ideas for you to do yourself.

As a guest I would love to answer a couple questions in a guestbook. I'm sure it will only take 2 or 3 minutes. They don't need to write a paragraph- just a line or two IMO.
  • A friend whose mother is into scrapbooking made a scrapbook page for each guest.  They were available for us to pick up at the beginning of the reception, and while we were waiting for the plated dinner to be served, we could respond to the prompt.  The MOG came around and took every guest's photo to attach to the page and compile later.  I love this idea, but think it would work best if you let guests take the pages to their seats (make sure to provide disposable pens, too) and then put the answers together after the fact.

Some of the other questions asked were, "How did you meet the bride and/or groom?" and "Where do you invision the bride and groom in 5, 10, or __ years?"
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • A Wish Bowl

You put a bowl on a table during the reception, as you would a guestbook, with a pile of small note papers.  Guests can each write a short wish or message of advice to you on marriage.
  • We used a picture frame mat --

Wedding was just over a year ago and I still haven't had this framed.  
  • We are doing a picture frame mat also. We figured we could hang it in an office or a room somewhere so we will at least see it every once in a while. I like your creative idea, but I agree with Trix.
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• Just another idea, if someone hasn't said this already, we're doing an inscribable picture frame. That way it is something very nice to display at home & we'll for sure be looking at it years down the road. Happy planning!
  • I am considering this: http://www.guestbookstore.com/index.html, but as others have said, after looking through it the first time, how many times would you actually open it up again. It's a cute idea. I was thinking of leaving a sheet at each guest's seat with markers available on the tables to avoid long lines.
    image 117 Invited
    image 92 Are ready to party!
    image 24 Will be missing out!
    image 2 Can't find the mailbox!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I made a photobook on Shutterfly of pics of me & fi throughout our relationship, and left lots of white space for people to sign. I can't get into the idea of looking at names written on a line either; i figure this way people can sign with a little message like a yearbook if they want, or they can just leave their name, but either way there's more than just a bunch of signatures to look at!
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_guestbook-alternative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:582d8c43-6d76-4337-a05f-f19eb9f1a794Post:f3bdb6fb-b710-42b5-9311-399f0d547380">Re: Guestbook Alternative</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just another idea, if someone hasn't said this already, we're doing an inscribable picture frame. That way it is something very nice to display at home & we'll for sure be looking at it years down the road. Happy planning!
    Posted by turpins11[/QUOTE]

We did that as well and blew up one of our engagment photos to fit an 18x24 photo frame. We are mounting it in our living room.
  • I am using a really cool book about our wedding destination city- a "then and now" book about Seattle- people can just sign on whatever pages they want!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_guestbook-alternative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:582d8c43-6d76-4337-a05f-f19eb9f1a794Post:1f2e44f9-5a3c-49be-bb07-343a24815e0d">Re: Guestbook Alternative</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am considering this: <a href="http://www.guestbookstore.com/index.html," rel='nofollow'>http://www.guestbookstore.com/index.html,</a> but as others have said, after looking through it the first time, how many times would you actually open it up again. It's a cute idea. I was thinking of leaving a sheet at each guest's seat with markers available on the tables to avoid long lines.
    Posted by spiritedcharm[/QUOTE]

<em>This is exactly what I'm doing! I bought mine already and am very pleased with the quality.</em>
  • What about for those couples that are sentimental enough to mount the picture in their home or offices?
    Or what about those that are thinking down the road for when their children are old enough to wonder about Mom & Dad's past? Wedding? School careers?

When I was a kid my younger sister and I went through old photo albums, and things like my parents wedding video on occasion. Not once a week, but often enough as we were growing up that it meant a lot to have those things around to look at.

I have seen some really cute, interesting ideas that might be worth thinking about. What about letting your guests know that they don't have to sign the guestbook right when they arrive, and then having a page for things like - the best piece of advice they can give for your marriage, asking what their favorite part of the reception was, or their favorite way to say I love you. Or even having one page per table with a different theme or question on it.
    If I can find the guestbook like this that I saw (made with your engagement photos by a photographer I looked into) I will post a link to it so you can get the full idea.

Regardless - don't ever let anyone tell you not to focus on details that you feel are important. Don't stress over what you cannot get done or cannot figure out because no one will know if something isn't there that you wanted - but you will be thrilled with everything you personalize, and I fully believe that every bride/couple will get out of their wedding exactly what they put into it.

Why just stress and plan to have one day - when instead you can enjoy the experience with your Mom, fiance, bridesmaids, whoever you share the planning process with.

Good luck!

• We are getting people to sign wine corks and then we are going to have a little book called "how to make it to our golden anniversary" That people can add a bit more too!  
    Anniversary
  • We are going to do a Wish bowl, with 4x6 cards for guests to write words of advice on. That way i can put them all in a little album and store them safely to look at years to come. I got the idea from when i did my friends baby shower, & she even admits she likes to read the advice cards from time to time when shes feeling a little down or anytime she wants to look back on the day.

I think a guest book is a waste of time, all it has is the names. :( So i like the idea of them being able to add something a little more personal.

I agreee with some of the above, a name frame is a great idea. Ive also seen it done by having a scrapbook with one photo on each page that guest can look at and sign around.
    Hope this helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards