Wedding Woes
Options

I don't think there is much you can do.

Dear Prudence,

My sister has been miserable since she had her baby two years ago. My brother-in-law works too much, but they don’t have enough money. Her mother-in-law is too overbearing, but never overbearing when my sister wants it. All her friends abandoned her, but she is the one who always cancels plans first. My sister will fly into a rage or start weeping on a dime. Don’t mention her seeing a therapist, because she will curse you out. I think I might be her favorite target other than her husband. I ask if I can come over for coffee (I live three hours away and she doesn’t drive), only for my sister to repeat that if I wanted to be a “real” sister, I would be offering to cook and clean. She has started talking about wanting another baby and just living in la-la land.

My BIL finally asked me for a heart-to-heart about the subject. I told him I could not live their life: Things are already difficult now, and bringing another baby into the mix won’t make it any easier. And I said that he needed to start with the condoms if he was actually having doubts. Well, all hell broke loose because when my sister got upset that he refused to be intimate with her without protection, my BIL threw me under the bus. What she called me was unprintable, and she threw the abortion I’d had in college in my face. I was in a committed relationship and got raped. The thought of having my rapist’s child made me suicidal. My sister was the one whom I confided in, though I was later open about the subject.

My sister will not apologize or even acknowledge the lines she crossed. Everyone else is being all “Well, she has it hard,” and I just need to let it go. My BIL has told me he is sorry, but I think that’s because I now rarely talk to him or come over anymore. He is the last man standing. I know, intellectually, that my sister needs help. I am just not up for putting myself in the crossfire again. It hurts that people will frequently throw the welfare of my nephew in my face—what kind of aunt leaves a toddler to deal with a deranged mother alone? None of them offer any help other than wishes and prayers. Our parents are divorced, live far away, and frankly are too caught up in their own passions to care about this sisterly spat. So, what now?

—Hurt in Hartford

Re: I don't think there is much you can do.

• Options
    "What now?" is the LW keeps doing what they are doing.  Visit the family when she wants to and don't when she doesn't.  Which is understandably less often now.  The sister sounds very unpleasant to be around anyway and what she said was pretty unforgivable, yet she won't even apologize for it.

Plus it's not like the LW was much help on the day to day, considering she lives 3 hours away.  Her sister and BIL will manage like they always do.  If the "welfare of the nephew" is such a concern, which I doubt, then it's the BIL's job to make sure his son is okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well you shouldn’t have gotten involved when your BIL asked about whether he should have another child with his wife. This really wasn’t something you should have weighed in on and obviously now you’re dealing with the fall out of that. 

Your sister sounds depressed and angry. But if she’s not willing to accept help there isn’t much you can do. Offer to see you nephew, babysit for him, or  send dinner if and when you want to. But your sister won’t get help until she wants to get help. 
  • Options
    Wooof, you told your BIL to wear condoms! There seems to be a lot of people in this family who don't know their place. 

Anyway, this is a big mess and I'm not sure there's much coming back from it. Maybe going no or low contact is the play here. I don't think you and your sister are very good for each other. 
  • Options
    Holy-no-one-has-boundaries here.  LW, of course your sister feels betrayed by you and BIL because y'all talked about her behind her back about *her* and you gave advice to him on what he should do about their future.  Of course he threw you under the bus to take some of the wrath off him.  

LW, you're trying to frame yourself as some sort of victim and martyr aunt at the same time.  You're neither.  You have put yourself in the middle of a very messy, emotional situation where the outcome doesn't actually have stakes in your life (like how you work, pay bills, live day-to-day), but huge stakes for your sister, BIL, and their child.  

At this point, I'd leave them the hell alone.  They need to figure it out without feedback from anyone else.  They may not do that, but you can remove yourself from the chorus.  

And LW, get some help for *waves hand* all of your stuff. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yikes. Apologize if you feel sorry (though if you don’t that’s okay), and take a major step back.  From your sister’s life which isn’t yours and especially your BIL
  • Options
    This whole family needs to learn boundaries.  My eyebrows shot up when LW said, "My BIL had a heart to heart with me about this".  Why?!?! Why is anyone telling LW any of this stuff?  Why is LW listening??

So, LW, I would continue to take your niece out.  Ignore your sister, bean dip her, whatever it takes, and the same for everyone else.  You can't be a target if you're not available.