Wedding Woes
Options

Is she a friend or a charity case you're starting to resent?

Dear Prudence,

I have a close friend whom I’ve known for about a decade (we’re in our mid-30s). She’s married to a guy in the armed forces, and when he’s deployed, she gets pretty anxious and depressed, doesn’t take the greatest care of herself, and doesn’t have much of an appetite. She loves my cooking, so I invite her over for dinner as often as I can: We cook together and she vents about how she’s feeling. However, every time, and I mean every single time, she eats to the point of being in major discomfort, then spends the rest of the evening burping, groaning, and complaining that she’s so uncomfortably full (she dishes up for herself). I would be lying if I said I didn’t find this super annoying!

I have misophonia, and the sound of her burping and groaning is really, really tough for me. I’m growing resentful that she kind of dominates the evening, and I end up feeling pretty burned out. But honestly, I’m at a loss because I really worry when she doesn’t eat enough, and I think it’s important that she get at least a few good meals a week. She can’t control the burping, and the thought of asking her to eat less just feels rude and invasive of me. Other friends have suggested I invite her to non-food-related things, but the point is to get her to eat. Do you have any advice on how to manage my resentment and show up for her in the way she needs me to?

—Full of Resentment

Re: Is she a friend or a charity case you're starting to resent?

• Options
    The LW should cook smaller meals.  Like enough for the two of them to have a good sized portion, but not any extra that would cause her friend to overeat.  Or invite her to lunch at a restaurant and the LW goes home right after.

I also hope the "other friends" the LW is talking to about this are not mutual friends.  Because that is just mean gossiping.

But at the end of the day, the friend is a grown woman who is in charge of her own eating and health.  I know the LW worries about her friend, but this isn't her cross to bear and she seems too invested in it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Could you serve the food and package it up as a take home option before you sit down?   Then she eats a meal, she's not over-fed and the glad ware container says she has food for tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Go out to dinner together and leave after. Or make dinner with limited portions. 

It sounds like she has disordered eating and/ or depression. You can’t solve that by inviting her to dinner a few times a week. And it’s not on you to make sure she feeds herself. If you can’t stand her eating issues suggest a different activity.