Wedding Woes
Options

"I don't hire family, sorry."

Dear Prudence,

I don’t know if my sister-in-law lives for drama or just wants to self-sabotage herself once she gets to a certain level of success. She is a smart cookie who can’t seem to help herself from getting involved with the wrong men. In college, she chased after her married professor and actually had to leave the program over her inappropriate behavior. She cheated with her cousin’s boyfriend (that was a fun family reunion) and then got involved with a family friend who was going through a divorce. Her latest stunt was having an affair with the husband of her boss and getting fired.

Her reputation is so extensive that a lot of people will not hire her in our community. I run a small business. My in-laws have been asking me to take on my sister-in-law part-time. I do need the help but don’t need the drama. So far I have lied and said I was fully staffed but the truth is going to come out when I hire someone else. My husband thinks his sister deserves a second chance—but it is more like her seventh at this point. How do I navigate this?

—No Drama

Re: "I don't hire family, sorry."

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Lolz no.  “I won’t be doing that I have a business to run. But y’all are welcome to get her a job working with you if you want.”
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Lolz no.  “I won’t be doing that I have a business to run. But y’all are welcome to get her a job working with you if you want.”
    This.  

"I've seen her resume and this is not going to work for me financially.  If that's a financial risk that YOU feel comfortable taking then let your parents know that they can hire her.  BTW, as your spouse I'm also not OK with her working for you either."
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yeah no. Sorry not sorry. I get so tired of people who get in these situations constantly and then get shocked Pikachu faces at the consequences. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    OK.  Prudie's advice on this one is ridic, IMO.  

Dear No Drama,

I don’t understand why your sister-in-law’s questionable romantic choices would represent a threat to your small business. She still has to earn a living! It’s not as if she has a history of stealing petty cash. I guess you’re worried that she’ll have a workplace relationship and then it will explode and create a distraction? If that’s the case, make sure your employee handbook is up to date and you have a clear policy against dating colleagues. And then tell your husband that you can hire her if he clarifies the rules to her before she starts and assures you that he’ll personally let her go if she breaks them.

• Options
    Dear Prudie - I think I have a great copy writer for you. 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Man Prudie missed the mark on this one. SIL has basically been in multiple potential sexual lawsuit situations and Prudie thinks that because she didn't steal petty cash and it was all personal that somehow she is absolved? You can love who you love I guess...but that doesn't mean it won't have consequences. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Man Prudie missed the mark on this one. SIL has basically been in multiple potential sexual lawsuit situations and Prudie thinks that because she didn't steal petty cash and it was all personal that somehow she is absolved? You can love who you love I guess...but that doesn't mean it won't have consequences. 
    It makes me wonder if Prudie has ever worked in a corporate environment or one with any ethics clauses as part of the employment.  
  • Options
    Prudie totally missed it on the working wedding one too. I think Prudie might be living on a cloud. 
  • Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Overall, i think this Prudie is not great. Very off the mark on most things, imo. I've liked prior ones much better!
  • Options
    Even though her behavior is stemming from her personal life decisions if it’s gotten to the point where other people in your area won’t hire her then it’s clearly impacting her work. You don’t have to join her in ruining your own reputation. If she was at all committed to changing the name she’s created for herself I might be open to helping her along the way. But if she plans to keep on keeping on you don’t need to facilitate that. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear No Drama,

I don’t understand why your sister-in-law’s questionable romantic choices would represent a threat to your small business. She still has to earn a living! It’s not as if she has a history of stealing petty cash. I guess you’re worried that she’ll have a workplace relationship and then it will explode and create a distraction? If that’s the case, make sure your employee handbook is up to date and you have a clear policy against dating colleagues. And then tell your husband that you can hire her if he clarifies the rules to her before she starts and assures you that he’ll personally let her go if she breaks them.

Sweet, summer Prudie.  This woman slept with her boss's husband.  Does she really think an HR manual telling people not to get romantically involved with their coworkers or coworker's spouses is going to be effective.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear No Drama,

Sweet, summer Prudie.  This woman slept with her boss's husband.  Does she really think an HR manual telling people not to get romantically involved with their coworkers or coworker's spouses is going to be effective.
    Because two people having an affair would definitely not do it if only there was an HR manual telling them not to.