Options

How is this unconstitutional

Re: How is this unconstitutional

• Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Zims-

I would also like to add that you are in favor of a law oppressing women.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Binx!!! You and I are in the same boat! I'm Easter European and my last name is 100% uncommon. If  someone has my last name I must be CLOSELY related to that person. Also, there are four of us cousins and we're all women :( So no carrying on the name.. although I don't think my sister plans on changing hers, should she get married. But she also plans on no kids. H's isn't CRAZY common or anything, but DEFINITELY more common than mine.

To the June board woman- I understand the frustration. It made for a good topic of conversation here though! 
    Zim- Your viewpoint on this is... um.. interesting. May I ask if you are strongly religious in any form? That may help me understand why you don't think this is unconstituational.

Some people just don't believe much in human rights... I don't quite get it.. maybe I'm a little extreme with my human rights views (yes I believe in prochoice, pro gay marriage, pro-death with dignity, etc).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HELP! I can't see irish O.o wtf?!!?!I can see everyone else, but suddenly irish is invisible to me... IRISH!!! Did you block me or something!?!
    Or did I accident;ly hit "ignore" on you?!! How do I fix it O.o
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:63a4df47-685d-4357-943c-e9e604aae348">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]HELP! I can't see irish O.o wtf?!!?!I can see everyone else, but suddenly irish is invisible to me... IRISH!!! Did you block me or something!?! Or did I accident;ly hit "ignore" on you?!! How do I fix it O.o
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    WHAT???!!?! Can you see me now?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:1c3d4043-133a-4b1f-9bcb-789ef4086ed1">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : WHAT???!!?! Can you see me now?!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

That made me think of verizon, "Can you hear me now??"

Also, I wish Zims would come back to explain more.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope irish I still can't see you. The only reason I can see you is because hike quoted you :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:b1dadd7d-8911-4125-886a-e513d124e521">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope irish I still can't see you. The only reason I can see you is because hike quoted you :(

Did you accidently block her? Can you see her in other posts?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not that she can see this but maybe someone else can help :) I clicked "block" on one of her posts to see if I could unblock her, and there is a little gray bar in the thread (where her posts would be I guess) that say "posts from FTL are hidden. Unblock" so I clicked that clicky and it unblocked her......I wasn't able to see a list of blocked knotties in any of the setting/account pages though. What if she'll never see me again?!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:3fd80894-f4e3-41bf-8392-7cd88bde1d3e">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not that she can see this but maybe someone else can help :) I clicked "block" on one of her posts to see if I could unblock her, and there is a little gray bar in the thread (where her posts would be I guess) that say "posts from FTL are hidden. Unblock" so I clicked that clicky and it unblocked her......I wasn't able to see a list of blocked knotties in any of the setting/account pages though. What if she'll never see me again?!!

First- See if you can find Irish in another thread. If not, tell me and I'll e-mail Knottie Annie.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and Zims before you come over here too next time you might want to actually READ the article as it is not a law but was a poll taken and some students said they would be in favor of a law. Get your facts straight.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    bahahahahaha got it!
    I was on my ipod touch this morning so I must have accidently hit block on you />_< my baaaddd... I can see you again!! yay!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:f215f362-3b0b-4c8f-97f9-6b5f1f0a381a">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and Zims before you come over here too next time you might want to actually READ the article as it is not a law but was a poll taken and some students said they would be in favor of a law. Get your facts straight.
    Posted by Melissa603[/QUOTE]
    Melissa, if you read this thread, you'll see no one is agreeing with her. In fact, we explained why it would be unconstitutional and she said it made sense. And for the last time, she didn't run here. She posts here all the time. I whole heartedly disagree with her stance, but she's not bashing you over here. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:9cb84c27-f574-4e31-bbfd-6c306d1822e7">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]bahahahahaha got it! I was on my ipod touch this morning so I must have accidently hit block on you />_< my baaaddd... I can see you again!! yay!
    Oh thank heavens!!! Don't ever do that again!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:208c81e7-2580-41d4-bd9a-e72286157d5c">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : Melissa, if you read this thread, you'll see no one is agreeing with her. In fact, we explained why it would be unconstitutional and she said it made sense. And for the last time, she didn't run here. She posts here all the time. I whole heartedly disagree with her stance, but she's not bashing you over here. 

Trust. We enjoyed the conversation starter. She chose a good one and she also didn't tell us anything about your board except that she didn't understand why it was unconstitutional.
    Chill pill June board. :o)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I was posting on my only break I've had so far. It's been a hectic day. I'll try to answer all the questions if not feel free to ask any. FTL I'm not religious like at all. I guess since it wouldn't be a burden to me I don't really care. I also read through all of your explanations and came here bcause the June board did not explain it well enough for me to understand their side. Not bashing the board just knew how smart you ladies were here. I also messaged my AP govt teacher because I was wondering and I do understand the point. I guess I misunderstood/misrememberd (if that's a word lol) the unconstitutional thing. It's been a while since AP govt so this was a refresher. I was no way here bashing the June 2012 board and I don't get why they came over here and thought that it was just a way to get more views/information
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:126371c1-9cdd-4824-ac23-dff969d4e298">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry I was posting on my only break I've had so far. It's been a hectic day. I'll try to answer all the questions if not feel free to ask any. FTL I'm not religious like at all. I guess since it wouldn't be a burden to me I don't really care. I also read through all of your explanations and came here bcause the June board did not explain it well enough for me to understand their side. Not bashing the board just knew how smart you ladies were here. I also messaged my AP govt teacher because I was wondering and I do understand the point. I guess I misunderstood/misrememberd (if that's a word lol) the unconstitutional thing. It's been a while since AP govt so this was a refresher. I was no way here bashing the June 2012 board and I don't get why they came over here and thought that it was just a way to get more views/information
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]

I agree that you didn't bash the June board. My mind is kinda blown still though. You would really be okay with making women do something against their personal right just because it doesn't burden you?? What if you didn't drive for some reason and they made a law stating women couldn't drive? Would you not care then? What if they made a law saying all women had to cook every night for their husbands and you didn't cook. Would you care then?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zim, I appreciate you coming back and explaining yourself, and I really don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you, because it takes a lot of people to make the world go around. 

But thank anything and everything holy that you are not in a position to make any decisions that would ever affect me. Not caring about something because you have chosen a different option is so......naive and frankly, very scary.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:e9472a38-89f4-48c9-93eb-1635a1fc0592">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : I agree that you didn't bash the June board. My mind is kinda blown still though. You would really be okay with making women do something against their personal right just because it doesn't burden you?? What if you didn't drive for some reason and they made a law stating women couldn't drive? Would you not care then? What if they made a law saying all women had to cook every night for their husbands and you didn't cook. Would you care then?
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    I guess what I mean is that if it doesn't directly affect me I'm not gonna be too concerned. I'm not going to argue it or anything like that if it doesn't matter to me ya know? I know it sounds crappy that I wouldn't care about that but I'm just looking at it as it doesn't affect me so I'm not gonna bother with it. Does that make sense? Sorry been one of those days and not a good one so I'm struggling to not sound confusing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:719a0f30-ba89-43fb-9e53-66212bb8555f">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : I guess what I mean is that if it doesn't directly affect me I'm not gonna be too concerned. I'm not going to argue it or anything like that if it doesn't matter to me ya know? I know it sounds crappy that I wouldn't care about that but I'm just looking at it as it doesn't affect me so I'm not gonna bother with it. Does that make sense? Sorry been one of those days and not a good one so I'm struggling to not sound confusing

Okay, I'm really trying hard to make this sound as though I'm not attacking you however, I really can't believe that. Because you're not black, do you not care about slavery? Because you're not autistic, do you not care about their educational rights? Because you're not in a wheel chair, do you not care about the Americans with disabilities act? To think your way is a slippery slope. To not care about something because it doesn't affect you terrifies me. I'm with Irish, I'm so glad you are not someone who makes the laws I have to follow. Edit: my iPad is acting up. Sorry if I have misspellings and weird things happening.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:719a0f30-ba89-43fb-9e53-66212bb8555f">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : I guess what I mean is that if it doesn't directly affect me I'm not gonna be too concerned. I'm not going to argue it or anything like that if it doesn't matter to me ya know? I know it sounds crappy that I wouldn't care about that but I'm just looking at it as it doesn't affect me so I'm not gonna bother with it. Does that make sense? Sorry been one of those days and not a good one so I'm struggling to not sound confusing

This is what  FI would call a "hoorah for me and fvuck you" situation. 

Yes, it may not affect you but the fact that the government could do something like say "You must take your husbands last name."  If they passed such a law (which they won't)  that means they could pass other ridiculous laws (like Hike mentioned) "You must cook for your husband."  Which COULD effect you.  Where would we draw the line?  Hence, the constitution.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know why I'm feeling so diplomatic. I keep deleted things, and I don't want to sound angry or attacking, really. 

And I can sort of get on board with not being an activist about everything, and maybe women's rights aren't that important to you, because you live near corn fields and.....I don't know, believe your husband will provide for you until the day you die. Or something. But I really hope that you will outgrow that mindset. 

I'm not out there waving signs and not showering with the "Occupy" people but I believe they have the right to peaceably assemble and be heard. I eventually will change my name, but not because someone told me to. And I completely understand you not wanting to "fight" for something like name changing, but even after all of the posts and discussions, to come back with simply, "it doesn't affect me so therefore I don't care" makes you sound as young as you are. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:9ca596ed-a5c4-470b-a1a9-88e640b266f4">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know why I'm feeling so diplomatic. I keep deleted things, and I don't want to sound angry or attacking, really.  And I can sort of get on board with not being an activist about everything, and maybe women's rights aren't that important to you, because you live near corn fields and.....I don't know, believe your husband will provide for you until the day you die. Or something. But I really hope that you will outgrow that mindset.  I'm not out there waving signs and not showering with the "Occupy" people but I believe they have the right to peaceably assemble and be heard. I eventually will change my name, but not because someone told me to. And I completely understand you not wanting to "fight" for something like name changing, but even after all of the posts and discussions, to come back with simply, "it doesn't affect me so therefore I don't care" makes you sound as young as you are. 
    I don't see what living near corn fields has to do with this but anyways I work 3 jobs and have worked since I was 14 and I'm a full time student so I've taken care of myself for a while now. I'm sorry if I offended you guys I understand how I may sound young and naive but I guess I just have bigger issues to deal with right now so if it doesn't affect me then whatever I guess (not trying to sound snarky)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely think there's a different between not joining the flight and not giving a crap if an unfair law is put into practice just because it doesn't affect you. If we had a world full of people who didn't care, I'd hate to see what the state of our lives would be.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:fd01ec0e-b83c-4182-8102-d183ea7ab92f">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely think there's a different between <strong>not joining the flight</strong> and not giving a crap if an unfair law is put into practice just because it doesn't affect you. If we had a world full of people who didn't care, I'd hate to see what the state of our lives would be.
    That better explains how I feel, not that I don't give a crap. I just wouldn't see the point in joining a fight if it didn't matter to me which way it went like either way I'd change my name
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm saying, maybe you have a small town mentality?? I can't wrap my head around any other reason. And I'm not saying you specifically are, but my point was, perhaps that would be a reason why a woman wouldn't care about women's rights? And if you support yourself, why wouldn't you support women and their choices? Even though you don't plan to exercise that choice, it's still an important decision that I'm sure we as women don't want to be taking away from each other. 

You haven't offended me in the least, mostly because you haven't affected my choice one way or the other. I'm just trying to understand how you come to such a myopic and apathetic viewpoint. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:db38da67-5f58-4062-896a-f345fa61c22b">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : That better explains how I feel, not that I don't give a crap. I just wouldn't see the point in joining a fight if it didn't matter to me which way it went like either way I'd change my name

Alright but that's not what you said at first. I hope your thoughts are different and you do care if you come across something unfair that doesn't affect you in the future.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:34df3914-4a28-44f4-b2f4-c085f5692c3c">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is this unconstitutional : Alright but that's not what you said at first. I hope your thoughts are different and you do care if you come across something unfair that doesn't affect you in the future.
    Yeah I'm sorry most of what I posted earlier was during a class. I'm not great at explaining myself I realize
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So if your best friend didn't want to change her name and they were going to pass this law.  You'd say "Sucks to be you!"?

Also, as I stated earlier. THIS law may not affect you. If they pass THIS law it means they could pass other ridiculous laws, which COULD affect you later on in life.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_this-unconstitutional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:3bc2aca6-7ca6-48f4-888e-a8de6094e653Post:6e5eb5dd-5fa8-4125-b3cf-3db0538ee1ba">Re: How is this unconstitutional</a>:
    [QUOTE]So if your best friend didn't want to change her name and they were going to pass this law.  You'd say "Sucks to be you!"? Also, as I stated earlier. THIS law may not affect you. If they pass THIS law it means they could pass other ridiculous laws, which COULD affect you later on in life.
    Posted by spiffycoolbeans[/QUOTE]
    I think this argument is over and done with. I'm calling it a night on TK I have a lot of hw to do. Night everyone
  • Options
    edited December 2011

suuuper random and totally not related to this at all buuuuuut....

Zim was it you that posted like.. a month or two ago about free samples at target (among a bunch of other stuff) or was that Amanda.. or was that amh.. maybe it was amh.. she's our little shopper...
    I forget...
    Damnit... I wanted to say thank you for whomever that was because I just got an awesome little makeup bag filled with samples that I didn't pay for.. and before of it, now I get awesome coupons from Target that always have some freebe (last week it was free eggs, this week it's a free loaf of bread... and they accidently sent me two! Score!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards