Military Brides
Options

Marine Corps Brides?

Hey ladies, just wondering how many other future Marine wives are on here.
 My fiance and I are going through our second deployment right now and planning our wedding is the only thing keeping me sane! It's kinda frustrating planning the wedding with a "tentative date"; but then again, that's one of the many joys of this semper fi kind of life.
Future USMC Wifey

Re: Marine Corps Brides?

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there and welcome to the board! I am a Navy wife but there are MC brides and wives here. Happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! :)
    Future USMC Wifey
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    Also I now know your FI's full name. You have his name on your username and his last name on your siggy. You might want to change that or delete your siggy. There are a lot of creepers out there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Kara. Definitely get rid of your fiance's full name. Better to be safe at all times!

I'm also a Marine Corps wife-to-be and my fiance is also deployed right now. Planning the wedding is really keeping me busy through this deployment and I'm very thankful that I have so many things to keep me occupied. This is our first deployment together, but we've been through recruit training, 3 Mojave Vipers, and a short training in Bahrain for 4 months. It's hard, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Knowing that he's happy and doing something he wants to do makes me happy. 
    March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon - Undecided (NYC or DC)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the concern, ladies, but anyone on Facebook has both of our names, too. Luckily, if you google our names, you get LOTS of people, and the creepers are one of the reasons I didn't use our actual location.
    I agree with you, megmac24, I'm happy to support him as he does what he loves, and I'm really grateful to have a distraction this deployment that I didn't have last time. I'm even more excited for this homecoming than I was the last, which I didn't think was possible :)
    Future USMC Wifey
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corps-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:86ef83de-5124-4ba0-933c-07773531b8d6Post:31edf95f-5dd0-4668-bfed-ea4d543fda6c">Re: Marine Corps Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the concern, ladies, but anyone on Facebook has both of our names, too. Luckily, if you google our names, you get LOTS of people, and the creepers are one of the reasons I didn't use our actual location. I agree with you, megmac24, I'm happy to support him as he does what he loves, and I'm really grateful to have a distraction this deployment that I didn't have last time. I'm even more excited for this homecoming than I was the last, which I didn't think was possible :)
    Posted by Jonathans Precious Angel[/QUOTE]

<div>Seriously, delete your siggy. We're not on your FB, neither are the thousands of lurkers on the board. I assume that you're particular about who you add, like I am. Do we need to know that you're future Mrs. X? Not really. Most people on this board are, besides the ones who are already Mrs, or the ones who will never be Mrs. Anything (like me, since I'm not changing my names for career reasons).</div><div>
    </div><div>You would be shocked at the online footprint that even a careful person can leave. Shocked. I've taken classes in intel and had a project in putting together a dossier based on open source intel and I still offer up too much sometimes, especially when it's pieced all together. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, welcome to the board. I'm engaged to a Marine and will be hopefully joining the MC shortly after we are married this summer.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: And no, your names are not uncommon enough. Just delete the siggy. You're lucky, you don't have to start all over because there's no last name in your SN.</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    I wonder how many men in the MC have the same name as your FI's. No matter how careful you are, people are still able to narrow it down.
  • Options
    leahc0911leahc0911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Honestly if she wants to have her Fiance's last name on here she can, sorry guys but its her profile not yours. Get over it. If you dont agree with it then dont comment i mean seriously all she asked was if there were any Marine girls. Dont be rude. If she is comforterable enough to leave traces on the internet then that is her deal not yours. And for your question I am a Marine Wife whos husband is also deployed. And guess what people our last name is Contreras! wow big deal!!!!!

I will love you even when you wont let me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, you've got a private message. Just go into the blue box at the left and choose private messages, it should be there. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    @leah: No one was rude to OP, it was only a warning. You can never be too careful, stalking and other stuff has happened IRL due to overshared information online. We answered her question and welcomed her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corps-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:86ef83de-5124-4ba0-933c-07773531b8d6Post:661eaf81-5a94-46ec-9fc6-5aece7ea9ff2">Re: Marine Corps Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly if she wants to have her Fiance's last name on here she can, sorry guys but its her profile not yours. Get over it. If you dont agree with it then dont comment i mean seriously all she asked was if there were any Marine girls. Dont be rude. If she is comforterable enough to leave traces on the internet then that is her deal not yours. And for your question I am a Marine Wife whos husband is also deployed. And guess what people our last name is ****! wow big deal!!!!!<div>
    </div><div>Posted by leahc0911[/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Actually, it *is* a big deal. Because it's not just about her. It's not just about you. Would you genuinely want puzzle pieces to fit together that could hurt you or your husband? You post that your H is deployed, you post your name. Likely there's enough of a footprint for you on the internet that someone could find you. Or for someone to use against your husband. Why would you want to do that? I don't know what your H's MOS is, but what if he has access to sensitive information, and someone puts together a dossier on you and then uses that to get information from him? You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. That stuff happens. 

<div>
    </div></div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! I am a soon to be Marine wife as well. FI is also currently deployed. Ditto what everyone else said about security reasons. Just like you wouldn't post his return date from deployment, you don't want your last name out there.

Planning the wedding during deployment has been fun, and kept me occupied, but I also moved so that really kept me occupied :) Happy planning to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Marine Wife. Ditto everyone.. except Leah. We're just trying to look out for you. OPSEC and PERSEC are a huge deal on this board, and in the Military Life.

My H has been stationed in Japan since Valentines Day 2010.  I planned all last year, and we got married in December. He left again Jan 1, 2011 and he won't come home until early next year.  It's hard, but really can strengthen your relationship, or it can break it.  I'm lucky because I still get to talk to him everyday, whereas when there is a deployment involved, communication is very limited.  Planning is a great way to keep yourself busy though!!

Welcome to the Board and Congrats on your Engagement!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011

Hi and welcome to the board.  The other ladies are right. I am really glad you changed your siggy.  I know it seems harmless, but the tiniest pieces of the puzzle can be put together to do harm.
    There was a woman within our community who was a regular poster on another forum for military wives.  She thought she was being careful but she was putting little bits of info out there.  Her H was deployed.  They lived in this town. She had a siggy saying Mrs ___.  She was FB friends with people on the board and they called her by her first name. 
    One day, a man in uniform knocked on her door.  He told her that her H had been killed in action.  She let him into her house.  In her grief, she failed to notice that his uniform was incorrect. There was only one man instead of two. 
    The man beat her, raped her repeatedly, stole her purse and left her.  By the time she was able to call the police, he had cleaned $1000 out of their checking account and charged up her credit card. 
    You can not be to careful with the information you put out on the net.  There are people who lurk on these boards who have very bad intentions.  Do not make yourself a victim.  It isn't worth it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's a real story of internet security that happened to me two weeks ago...

I've posted on the Not Engaged Yet board for about a year now.  I've built up relationships with some of these girls, and had Facebook friended a few.  They all knew my first name, that I live in Miami, and that my FI is in law school and is a Marine.  I was very careful to never give out more specific identifying information than that.  Well, someone got pissy about something I said about Davids Bridal gowns last week (I commented that the service can be really bad and that the dresses are typically poorly made, which I said rather insensitively - what I meant was that they save money on making beautiful gowns by using less expensive fabric and they're machine-made so the stitching isn't always the best.  Please don't lynch me here, too, ladies!  I was just trying to warn the girl to check the stitching before accepting a DB gown, or to consider shopping sample sales.)  Anyway, I was the least liked person on that board that day for that opinion, and I got called a rich brat who was snobby.  I told the girl who called me a rich brat that my opinion had absolutely nothing to do with how much money I have or don't have, and if she was having a problem with the fact that I have a bigger budget than her for my wedding, she needed to get over her budget envy. Well, that just set the dogs on me, and they all hated me.

Someone took it too far and used that little bit of information to research me on the internet, find out my FI's name (which I think was probably through Facebook, since I had "friend of friend" set up for some photos, and I was friends with a few of these girls on there) and created a fake email address that had my first name in it, and sent FI a picture of me in my dress. He opened it thinking I was sending him something.  Now, luckily I am not superstitious and don't particularly care that he sees my dress, but what a mean, vengeful, vindictive thing to do to someone else! While that's relatively harmless, it's very scary that they were able to track down his contact information. If someone was a bit more creepy, they could easily have found him or me in person.

Moral of the Story:  Don't be a twit.  As a military spouse, it's your RESPONSIBILITY to follow OPSEC and PERSEC.  Not only will it make you and your FI/DH look bad to be the one posting revealing information online, it's also potentially dangerous.  If you're okay risking yourself, great, but with the military it's never about the individual.  And I'm not okay with the wives and girlfriends of men who would be deployed with my guy giving out information that puts his life at risk at well.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Woah!! C that is crazy!! I'm sorry that happened!! Yet another reason I'm glad I don't FB!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OPSEC and PERSEC are huge things. Learn them. Use them. I had things happen to me. I had someone email my FI. Why?  Because I was dumb. I wasn't using OPSEC and being safe
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also a soon-to-be Marine Corp wife. My fiance is currently stationed at Pendleton and gearing up for deployment #1. Like you, I've been doing my best to try and plan around unknown dates, since we don't know when he's returning from deployment yet, and his leave date has been pushed back several times. We plan on getting married sometime after he gets home, so we haven't really done much to start planning yet lol We've got plenty of time, but I'm sure planning will also be what keeps me sane while he's gone!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corps-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:86ef83de-5124-4ba0-933c-07773531b8d6Post:63eaef26-c8a8-48c6-9892-177a1ab24a1d">Marine Corps Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies, just wondering how many other future Marine wives are on here.  My fiance and I are going through our second deployment right now and planning our wedding is the only thing keeping me sane! It's kinda frustrating planning the wedding with a "tentative date"; but then again, that's one of the many joys of this semper fi kind of life.
    Posted by Jonathans Precious Angel[/QUOTE]

<div>My fiance is deployed as well, and in the USMC. The wedding is in January so I'm going a majority of the planning myself...it has it's moments of being crazy stressful but for the most part it does give me something to do. Have fun with it!</div>
    She's always wanted to be a princess and he's always wanted to be a hero; as fate would now have it, she is his princess and he is her hero *Semper Fi* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Woah! Calindi, that's aweful! I'm sorry that happened to you :/ totally sucks. Honestly, I wish I knew all this before I created a user name with my name in it... I don't think I can change it, so I guess I will be making a new profile and deleting this one, since my FI does not go into the Army 'til October, I guess I still have time? Anyone have any suggestions on my profile name, should I start over or am I ok leaving it alone? Better yet, I should do some research on the boards for more info...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Ana, I'd totally suggest starting fresh.  It's usually okay to use your first name, but don't put his name anywhere (when TK asks for groom's name, just put his first initial) and never ever use a last name.

Just use a new email address.  You haven't given any kind of information on this one yet, so just ditch it.  If you're concerned, you can always message Knot Annie and ask to have that screen name deleted.  It isn't really necessary, though.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow Calindi that's awful! I'm sorry that happened to you. Did you report it to the knot?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice, Calindi, thats exactly what I'll do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Saying that im not looking out for her is wrong. Im sorry but I have been in the "Military Scene" my whole life. I have been transfered a billion times because my father and now my husband. Im sorry but if anyone feels like posting their information that is up to them. It is not against opsec to post yours and your mans name. it is PERSEC and that is just personal security. So see personal its your own choices. getting chewed out over a signature is unbalievabely stupid. Did you know you are discouraging girls from coming on this page asking for WEDDING advice because you attack them over something as little as a signature. The point is to be supportive not rude. And if you feel you werent being rude, and just "helpful" you need to work on your bedside manner. Because you were actually very rude.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corps-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:86ef83de-5124-4ba0-933c-07773531b8d6Post:63a88e0b-7406-4b33-8c6e-acc8aef25903">Re: Marine Corps Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Saying that im not looking out for her is wrong. Im sorry but I have been in the "Military Scene" my whole life. I have been transfered a billion times because my father and now my husband. Im sorry but if anyone feels like posting their information that is up to them. It is not against opsec to post yours and your mans name. it is PERSEC and that is just personal security. So see personal its your own choices. getting chewed out over a signature is unbalievabely stupid. Did you know you are discouraging girls from coming on this page asking for WEDDING advice because you attack them over something as little as a signature. The point is to be supportive not rude. And if you feel you werent being rude, and just "helpful" you need to work on your bedside manner. Because you were actually very rude.
    Posted by leahc0911[/QUOTE]

<div>Everyone said OPSEC and PERSEC, I think we're all well aware of what they each mean.</div><div>
    </div><div>And if someone is discouraged because we're trying to protect them, their significant other, their family, their unit, their branch, and their country, you're right, they might want to find somewhere else to post.</div><div>
    </div><div>Reread IlovemyTxRanger's post. </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corps-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:86ef83de-5124-4ba0-933c-07773531b8d6Post:63a88e0b-7406-4b33-8c6e-acc8aef25903">Re: Marine Corps Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Saying that im not looking out for her is wrong. Im sorry but I have been in the "Military Scene" my whole life. I have been transfered a billion times because my father and now my husband. Im sorry but if anyone feels like posting their information that is up to them. It is not against opsec to post yours and your mans name. it is PERSEC and that is just personal security. So see personal its your own choices. getting chewed out over a signature is unbalievabely stupid. Did you know you are discouraging girls from coming on this page asking for WEDDING advice because you attack them over something as little as a signature. The point is to be supportive not rude. And if you feel you werent being rude, and just "helpful" you need to work on your bedside manner. Because you were actually very rude.
    Posted by leahc0911[/QUOTE]

If your attitude is that it's okay to pat someone on the head for truly risky decisions that can affect not only them, but their loved ones and everyone in their loved one's platoon, then I'll go ahead and discourage you directly from coming on this page. We don't really encourage or welcome people who enable bad decisions.

Anniversary

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually my husband in her mans platoon, and her man knows about this page just like mine and they have no problem with it so obviously if my husband is okay with this information it isnt a issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent her a PM with all the info I found from her siggy in under 10 minutes. I was nice about it, and she changed it. Which was the right call on her part. 

You on the other hand, are just continuing to give more puzzle pieces, and while a couple Lance Corporals might be comfortable with that, I can't imagine their Lieutenant would advise you guys to keep adding information in order to prove your point that PERSEC is a nonissue. Seriously, read TxRanger's post. That really happened.

You remind me of the Lifelock CEO with his SSN all over commercials. http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/03/09/6345638-lifelock-settles-with-ftc-over-deceptive-ads

I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    Some people just won't get it until there is a stranger knocking on their door.  I don't tell the story I posted above for the crap of it.  I posted it because it is true and it can easily happen again.  In the story, the soldier thought he was going to be coming home to his beautiful wife, spend some special time together and go on a vacation a few weeks later.  Instead, his CO and the Chaplain hand delivered a Red Cross message to him saying his wife had been beaten, raped, robbed and was in an ICU unit fighting for her life.  He was sent home and spent every second he could for the next 4 weeks sitting beside her hospital bed.  Not only did he have to witness his wife in the worst way he ever could have, his guys had to cover down for him.  When you take 1 man out of a 4 man team, the others have to take up the slack.  It's a weaker link for the rest of the squad and the plattoon. 
    If you want to put your info out there, you put your self and others at risk.  If there is one person on this page who you do not need to preach the difference between OPSEC and PERSEC to, I'm betting it would be me.  In my unit, I was the person in charge of training our soldiers on OPSEC and PERSEC and the importance of both. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Well then, if you're not concerned with PERSEC, let's go ahead and do this the whole way through... what's your maiden name?  Your Mom's maiden name?  Your social security number?  The name of your first pet?  Address?  Phone number?

You don't want me knowing those things?  Oh really?  Because I could probably find your address and phone number with very little information from you.  And then I could find out what high school you went to, and could probably find your LiveJournal or MySpace or something and figure out more information.  And all this starts with just your first and last name.  Not my style, and this isn't by any means a threat - I would never ever do something like that.  But there are crazy people who would.  And it's really stupid and immature to pretend otherwise.

And I really don't give a rats patoot what your man and his buddy think.  Ask their commanding officer.  Ask the Commandant of the Marine Corps or the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or the Secretary of Defense.  I'm pretty sure they'd all tell you that it's not okay and that it endangers troops.  But yeah, I'm sure your guys know so much more than them.  Let's start with your guys' commanding officers.  Ask them.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards