New Mexico
Options

DJing by personal IPod. Is this a bad idea?

Theoretically, one should be able to create separate playlists for each part of the wedding, and then designate someone to operate the Ipod, and do the announcing.  It seems like it would work, and you could have better control of the music. 

Has anyone done this?  Does it work?  Or is it a terrible idea?

Re: DJing by personal IPod. Is this a bad idea?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're taking this route since there's a sound-system built in to our venue that we can use for free. We'll be using a laptop instead of an ipod just because the computer is more reliable and it's easier to make quick changes if the crowd needs a break from dancing or there's not enough dancing.

Make sure that the person you choose to run the system is not just knowledgable about the equipment, but also enjoys public speaking and has a great personality. Even without a DJ, you still need an emcee to make smooth transitions.

Additionally, we're going to get our friends' input with the playlist creation to make sure that there's something for everyone. I saw this article on offbeat bride about creating ipod playlists, and we may try it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am planning on doing this for my wedding.  I have heard of many brides doing this, and it works fine.  I agree with SRN that you need someone who can stay on top of reception announcements (such as the dances and cake cutting) as well as manage the music well.
  • Options
    kcfryekcfrye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married 2 weeks ago, and we did this. It worked out pretty well, but we didn't have alcohol, so people didn't dance as much as I had hoped. But the people who were comfortable not drinking danced a lot. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did this in my September wedding and it worked well. I agree with the other posts completely. If you want a more mellow wedding reception then it's great. The groom actually started the playlist himself, which sounds wierd, but it doesn't take long and people don't really notice. Besides, it's your wedding - do what you want!! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm considering doing this too. We are geting married in a smaller town so the two towns that are close by within 12 miles of our venue the Djs charge around $ 200 extra because it is outside of their city limits.
    Anniversary Cruise Ship - Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    joypinkjoypink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing this for my wedding.. We are just having a cake/punch reception so there wont be any dancing (besides, it's at a baptist church!) My dad is a minister at the church so we have all kinds of sound people willing to help coordinate the sound and announcements, but we wont have a dj.
    This is a great way to save alot of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards