Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony ideas for a blended family

I have an 8 yo son and my Fi has a 6 yo son. They both want to be apart of the BIG DAY! But How? I don't want to do the unity candle or the blending of the sands. I need some new ideas for the wedding day.

Re: Ceremony ideas for a blended family

• Options
    Have them be ring bearers or groomsmen.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    agreed with PP that seems the obvious thing to do...since the candle or sand is just for the bride & groom anyways
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Options
    ring bearers
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Although the groomsmen and ring bearer positions have been filled I still need something to do during the ceromony that shows that these 4 people are becomming a family. This is usually done with the candles or the sand but that has been done to death. It seems like now just about everybody that gets married now has children from  a previous relationship. I want the boys to be our co-stars on the big day not just blend into the background of the wedding party.

• Options

Have a family medallion ceremony. 

• Options
    They could say some vows to accept each other as brothers and sisters before you do your vows.
  • Options
    I have seen it where the parents give them gift/something that means something to everyone during the ceremony. You can give it to them like the two of you exchanging rings, I have seen daughters given a bacelet. Its used as a promise to be a family
  • Options
    What PP said. I have seen a couple of really touching "family vow" moments, when the bride and groom address each others' child(ren) and give a gift of some kind, usually jewelry or other item that can be kept on their person.
  • Options
    We are doing family vows with my FI's 9yo. PM me if you want me to send you the ceremony.

I love my puppy ... and my husband, I swear!
  • Options
    My kids are teenagers, so they're going to be in the wedding party on my side, but I have seen a "flower ceremony." The groom & children carried a single flower . After the vows, while the officiant gave a reading about two families becoming one, the bride took a flower from her bouquet & they all placed their flowers together & tied them with a ribbon into a bouquet and laid it on the altar, then the officiant said a prayer. The bouquet was laid on the cake table for the reception, in front of a family portrait. I'm sure you could find a reading & prayer that would work for this.
  • Options
    I agree with letting them be rings men or wouldn't it be adorable if they gave a speech?! Depending on how comfortable they are with larger crowds, it could turn out well.  Another idea is to let your son walk down the aisle with you and then his son stand next to him.  Do not know how you both would feel about that, but it would certainly be a way for them both to be included!  Hope that helps! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards