Not Engaged Yet
Options

Waiting Room!

Hi all - I am sure this is something everyone has heard a million times before, but it is so frustrating.  I know I should be happy for friends that get engaged, but I am on the edge of my seat waiting for my own engagement, it is hard to put a smile on your face (even though I do).My boyriend and I are in the midst of expanding our condo and doing renovations (which I am super happy about), but it has taken more time and resources than anticipated.  Needless to say, we need to get that sorted out before we can get engaged. My friend recently got engaged to her boyfriend and I really thought I would be engaged long before she was.  It is so hard to put that smile on your face while you are so jelous! 

Re: Waiting Room!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Try thinking about it this way: The more you are jealous and antsy about getting engaged, the less excited you will feel when it actually happens.  The last thing you want is for your BF to propose and you to be thinking "Finally!!! What took so long??".  As hard as it can be, focus on the good things in your relationship before you ruin your eventual engagement with these feelings of resentment and jealousy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think one of the best (and hardest) things to remember when you friends get engaged and you're still waiting, is: it has nothing to do with you! Your relationship doesnt need to compare to theirs, and no one else is thinking "why is couple A engaged before couple B"? You'd want your friends to be happy for you when it happens, so just focus on what the engagement means to them (not you), and be happy for them. But I agree, it is hard, I've had my fair share of jealousy as well. But enjoy where you are and the anticipation of getting engaged some day  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And you feel the exact same way as millions of other girls do right now. It's part of life. Your relationship is unique, and can't be compared to anyone else's. You are your bf are making a good decision by making sure you have everything figured out and organized BEFORE you get engaged. Just put on your happy face - I do. (I'm talking to one of my friends who got engaged a week ago right now. We haven't had a chance to talk until now, and I am honestly jittering with excitement for her.)
    He pretty much had me at "hello".
    -- PS I agree with whatever Jeana said --
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'd rather have a nicer condo and wait for a ring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards