Not Engaged Yet
Options

What group were you in during high school?

Were you in a clique? Or hung out with a particular group of people during school?

Do you find yourself hanging out with similar people now?

And now for a nerdy joke:

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: What group were you in during high school?

• Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol I love the bottom one.

I was in two different crowds during high school. My first 2 years I was in the popular jocks/cheerleaders etc. I was a cheerleader and my brother was 2 years older than me and the star pitcher and basketball player, so I kind of was expected to be like him.

My Junior year of high school (first year without my brother), I completely disassociated myself from the popular kids, and started hanging out with the outcasts. My senior year I participated in Dual Enrollment so I was in college and didn't even step on campus.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have chosen to stay in band in high school instead of cheerleading. I think I would have had a lot better friends as a result of that. I actually don't associate much with people from high school any more. And those that I am friends with definitely were not part of the "in" crowd. I find that my friends now are much older than I am. In most cases, old enough to be my parent lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I was really in a clique. I had a group of core friends, we all pretty much got along with everyone. I started dating a junior my freshmen year of HS and got to go to prom. Needless to say I shot up in "popularity" with that...but I wasn't into that crowd or the parties...so I never really hung out with them.

It's funny that you bring this up. I'm just starting to get notes on FB about my 10-yr. HS reunion next year. haha. I've been thinking about HS a lot lately...
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My high school was kind of different because there was a huge language gap as a lot of the students were immigrants and just learning English.  Because of that, it wasn't really clique-y.  Most of our HS seemed that everyone had a core group of friends, about 3 or 4 people, and then those groups cycled and hung out with everyone else randomly.  Although, my freshman year, we did hang out mostly with the skater boys because one of my friends was dating one of the guys, but they were a lot of fun to hang out with.

I actually don't hang out with, or even talk to a single person that I went to high school with.  We all kind of started out on the same 'trajectory' (good students, got scholarships to the same university, etc), but life happens and we all kind of went our separate ways.  I'm only 24 and I'm the only one I know of from my high school that doesn't have one or more children.  One of the girls I used to talk to in HS just had her oldest daughter start the 3rd grade (she had her when she was 15). 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't popular, but I wasn't unpopular. Just normal. I hung out with a lot of cheerleaders and was on the dance team myself, and was friendly with everyone for the most part. Glad that part of life is over with though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_group-were-during-high-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:18345716-6485-469f-8c10-3617b563e0efPost:21f6d7ca-39ae-4ad9-a45b-a6a5b64e6639">Re: What group were you in during high school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a freshman I dated the hottest/most coveted guy in school (a junior, who should have been a senior but transferred for a year, blah blah blah). I still don't know how THAT happened, cause I felt like I was a dork. But he saught me out. Whatever. The popular crowd wanted me because that guy upped their status, I think, but I thought they were jerks to everyone so I snubbed them.Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Sounds like we had very similar HS experiences Liv!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I had a group of girlfriends who were defintiely not popular but were also not made fun of -- they were the girls in my honors classes who weren't sluts (sorry that's the best way I can describe it).

This! Same for me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a floater. Most of my closer friends in high school were the misfits. We didn't fit into the normal cliques. I was also involved in music though so I was a part of that clique too and I had friends who were cheerleaders and athletes and nerds. Only group I didn't get on with was the popular crowd. I still find it amusing when they try to FB friend me. Uh, no. You were a jackass to me and my HS friends why would I want contact with you now??

My BFF was part of the musical clique, we actually became better friends towards the end of college. Actually that's pretty much true for my core group of friends now. We all went to the same high school, but it wasn't until college that I started becoming close to them. I don't talk to any of the people I was "close" friends with in high school. I had really bad social anxiety issues back then and was never really all that close to anyone. I'd say that my core group of friends could still be labeled as the misfits.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Punk rocker/misfit types. Sadly, I was terrified of authority, but I did dig coloring my hair (small portions of it) cool colors!

My BF is from my HS "group". I didn't ever date him then, but I dug him.

Dear HS Diary,
                         _______ is wicked hot, and funny.
                                                          Sincerely,
                                                           Jen

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_group-were-during-high-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:18345716-6485-469f-8c10-3617b563e0efPost:d92d2392-46f0-4183-9384-56377b9a3791">Re: What group were you in during high school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What group were you in during high school? : Me too. I think 10 years is still too soon to see those people. Do you plan to go? I'm always interested to hear about people who actually want to go to reunions.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I haven't decided yet. I really only keep in touch with 1 guy friend. I went to HS in Maryland...so it would be a bit of a trek to get back there for it. Pretty much everyone who I went to HS with still lives in MD...so I feel like I might be a bit on the outs. I guess I"ll wait and see what they plan. I may travel to hang with my mom and then see if I feel up for the reunion or not when I get there. 

I do think it could be fun to see how people have changed over the years and what they're up to career/family wise. IDK
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Mostly it was just me and my bestfriend, and we spent our lunches in the classroom of whatever teacher we were cool with for that year.  It was usually just us and the teacher and either my bestfriend and I would talk with each other or sometimes the teacher would join in on our random discussions.  We had an "Asian" clique that we could go and visit from time to time but we never really belonged to that crowd.  It was just awkward. 
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a band geek...through and through. I played the flute for 7 years- In fact, I even was a counselor at a band camp.

My first year in band:

This was on a band trip to Canada:

This is when we were part of the opening ceremony's for the new Giant's stadium. Check out our new snazzy band uniforms.

Just hanging out before a competition:

Although I hung out with everyone in the band, the girls in my graduating class were called the "chickies." This name came from one of our very first marching band moves- the flutes had to march in between the snare drums and follow Erin (she's the one in the above picture on the bottom right) as she was our "mother duck- and we were her chickies." And it stuck..

We are all still friends and recently have been attending eachother's weddings:
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My school was VERY small so everyone was pretty known. Looking back to 8th/9th grade, my group was pretty much the plastics of the class. Once the "Regina" of the group went to a different school (we may have bullied her back to the hole she crawled out of) my group sort of ventured out a bit and gained friends from the other classes. I hung out with mostly the sports players since I spent a lot of time playing softball or cheerleading. My school was a pretty tight knit group and everyone mostly got along with eachother and many of us still hang out often.

We went to the bar one night a few months back and had at least one person from every graduating class between 2003-2008 there. It's nice after 5+ years that we still are our own little tight knit community.
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_group-were-during-high-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18345716-6485-469f-8c10-3617b563e0efPost:d92d2392-46f0-4183-9384-56377b9a3791">Re: What group were you in during high school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What group were you in during high school? : Me too. I think 10 years is still too soon to see those people. Do you plan to go? I'm always interested to hear about people who actually want to go to reunions.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I am most definitely not going to my 10 year high school reunion. Everyone I liked from high school- I still see every once in awhile. And everyone else is on my facebook...so I can see what they are doing in life. Besides- I didn't like them much anyways.

I doubt I will go to any of my reunions.
  • Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I was also a band person.  But our band was huge, so it was totally okay.  I would've gone absolutely insane from boredom without band.  :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a very small highschool. My year there was 125 of us, so you had to talk to everyone and couldn't avoid people for very long. I don't know what group I was in. I wasn't with the popular ones or the athletic ones or the nerds or the misfits. My group of friends was pretty intellectual and were headed for university, but we weren't nerds, and got along with basically everyone.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a band geek too. Band was actually semi-respected at my high school because we competed on a national level, so it wasn't too bad. I'm still friends with all my band geeks but not really any of my other friends from high school.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    edited December 2011
    I was sort of all over the place in high school. I went to school 40 minutes from where I lived (because my mom worked at the school), and there was a decent class difference between the two towns. Anyone from the Boston area here knows that Weston is a ritzy town, and that's where I went to high school.

I had a core group of friends, and we all belonged to and got along with different groups of people. Technically I suppose I was in the middle of the popularity spectrum, neither popular nor dorky, but my gtraduating class was pretty small (145 kids), and we all knew and were nice to each other, so there was no bullying of geeks or much teasing at all in my class.

I was PAINFULLY shy in high school. I did not like mingling with people I did not know well, and my closest friends were people who had sought me out. I developed really early and wore fitted clothing, so toward the end of high school and after graduation I found out that these things had awarded me a personality that was not mine. A lot of people viewed me as a bit of an ice princess, who thought she was too good for everyone. A lot of the guys thought, since I had big boobs and wore fitted shirts, I must be "experienced". In reality, I was just shy and self-concious.

My 5-year reunion was about 3 years ago, and I didn't go because the only friend I have stayed close to from HS decided not to go. She has Neurofibromatosis, and she had to have brain surgery shortly beforehand. Due to that she had moved home and didn't have a job yet, and she didn't feel like answering people's questions. I was too shy to go without her, but I found out later that a lot of people asked for me. That took me by complete surprise, so I am kind of excited to go to my 10-year in a couple years.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ah High School… How I hated you.  Eh I hated high school.  Granted my class was about 30 people strong but I got disconnected from my friends because my mom made me take Latin.  That was the last time I was able to have a group of friends.  I was the outcast.   I was odd, weird, and different.  I had a few friends but most of my friends were older and didn’t go to school with me.  I spent the last two year of high school hanging out in the local starbucks.  I didn’t fit in and didn’t have a group, not even a group of outcasts :(
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't really popular, but I wasn't an outcast by any means. I had my main group of friends - there were probably 10 of us in total, plus another 30 or so on the fringe who belonged to their own respective groups. I was heavily involved in music and fine arts, and also involved with drama and student council, so between those 4 things, I knew a ton of people (probably over half my graduating class of 250, plus another 100 students in lower/higher grades).

If I had to describe my group, we were tame partiers, who listened to Christian rock, and liked to DIY our clothes. We were pretty artsy (either musically or visually), and that was reflected in almost everything we did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    I was a band geek/theater nerd/honor roll/goody two shoes in HS. I made a conscious choice in HS to stop hanging with the "popular" crowd as much and started hanging more with the geeks. I had a bad experience with popular kids being mean to me in middle school, and I figured no matter what I did, there was always a chance they'd make fun of me or be mean to me again. So I just did the things that were fun to me -- band, theater, and dance classes outside of school. I was a big performing arts nerd. :) 

To me, the awesome thing about HS was that I was in enough advanced classes and activities with upper classmen that I got to know a lot of people. (It was a pretty small school.) Upper classmen were almost always nice to me and I made a lot of friends.

I was a bit of a drifter, hanging out with one group one Friday and a different group the next. I've always been pretty independent like that. :)

I loved HS.

College is when I had a tough time, b/c my family had all moved away from my home town, I transferred schools my sophomore year of college, the depression I'd always struggled with started to become worse without the same support network I'd grown up with...Ugh. I had some really hard years. But it was all worth it. I wouldn't change a thing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like how everyone says "My school was small, we had a graduating class of 1xx"...Mine was 14. Six of which, (myself included) had been at the school since elementary.
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a pretty small high school, so everyone knew everyone else. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't a loner. The popular kids were never really mean to me, and I was nice to them, even though I disliked a lot of them. I had several core friends that I hung out with, but most of us went our separate ways towards the end of school.  I met my BFF during senior year when she moved to our school. After that, it was pretty much just the two of us.

I started hanging out with the popular kids more when I joined student council senior year. I wanted a social life, and my mom would never let me go to social events. Joining student council meant I had to go because it was for a grade. I didn't talk much to them, because I just didn't care for them and had little in common. This translated to everyone voting for me as "Most Shy" for my class, which was not at all true.

One popular kid lived in the same dorm as me during freshman year, and became friends with BF before I knew him. So BF is actually pretty friendly with a lot of kids from my high school. We ended up sharing an apartment with the popular kid and his brother. As a result, we also formed a friendship with another popular kid who I never liked in high school. I was surprised how much he matured once he got out of there.

I actually like a lot of people now that I never did in high school. Once you go to college, and there are 30,000 people on campus no one really cares about being popular. It gets rid of all the drama, and you see people for who they really are. So I made a lot of new friends, and I still talk to my old ones as well.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My school wasn't small.  My graduating class was 403.  But I think I knew everyone.  lol  I was one of those people that floated between groups.  I went out with the popular kids and had drinks (oh noes!) but then I'd float back to the music room kids for musical and then the drama kids for our dinner theatre.  I was on student council so that group was in and I went to Jr. High with the ghetto kids so sometimes I went and hung with them too.

I have this random problem where I like everyone....Don't tell tho.  It'll ruin my heartless biotch image.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_group-were-during-high-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:18345716-6485-469f-8c10-3617b563e0efPost:0449c18c-ba8d-4555-b773-b862ef29afe6">Re: What group were you in during high school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like how everyone says "My school was small, we had a graduating class of 1xx"...Mine was 14. Six of which, (myself included) had been at the school since elementary.
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain!  I only had 30.  I had 14 in 7th grade.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was a music nerd - still am, lol! I sang in the choir & jazz choir, played flute in the band, and performed in the musicals. I also conducted our band on our trip to Europe.  The music people I used to hang out with still see each other, but I don't really hang out with them. I also hung out with a group of people that I still hang out with now. BF & I hung out in the same circle of friends, and then we started dating.

I avoided the "popular" crowd. Although I never could figure out what made them popular anyway... No one I knew liked them, because they were all jackasses. A few of the popular boys used to tease me endlessly during my first year of HS, but once I started dating BF, they stopped. He used to get suspended in elementary school for kicking the crap out of them on a weekly basis. When I went back for an extra year of HS (I wanted extra credits, because I'm cool like that) and BF wasn't there anymore, one of these boys decided to throw a tennis ball at my head. BF drove me to school for the rest of that semester, just to show them he was still around. They didn't bother me anymore after that. Innocent
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea what group I was in. I guess I was in the boat of "not popular but not un-popular."

I had friends who were in all different groups, but I don't think I really found my "clique" (I hate that word, but can't think of a better one) until junior year. My last two years of high school, pretty much all my closest friends were in band or choir - I guess I was a band geek by association :)  I also played tennis, so had a different group of friends through that.

I am honestly probably one of those people who will go to her high school reunion. I stayed close with my core group through college (even though I went out of state and they mostly went to school in the same city) and even now. Three of my 5 (most likely) bridesmaids and 2 of FI's groomsmen went to high school with me. FI is from another city, but that's actually how we met - through my HS friends who met him in college. (Fun fact: my prom date will be his best man.) Anyway, I see a lot of HS friends on a regular basis, and even though there are plenty of people from my HS who I don't care to ever see again, it will probably be worth it to see old friends at a reunion.

You know, I didn't love high school (especially the first 2 years), but I had so much fun my senior year, it kind of made up for the rest. So I have decent memories of that time period.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    edited December 2011

Kinda cool story, at least I think so...

My BF grew up in a fairly well off town in MA, but he was from the poor section of the town (more like a village within the town), so when he was younger he was the kinda funny-looking (his words, I think he was adorable) kid from the wrong side of the tracks. Read: dork.

He started playing football when he was about 10, and in HS joined the varsity football team in the neighboring town since his school didn't offer it. He was massively popular in the town that he played football in, and became a MAJOR hottie, so he was massively popular in his own school too. Every girl had a thing for him, and guys that used to pick on him wouldn't dream of it anymore and wanted to be on his good side (he graduated HS at 205 lbs, 5% body fat - yikes!). He had little boys years younger than him playing football and telling their moms, "I want a tear in my uniform right here, just like Jonny Mo!"

He used his newfound popularity for good, not evil. He would hang out with the dorky kids and kick the poop out of any guys that were bullies. He refused to have anything to do with the popular crowd, even though they tried desperately to recruit him.

He still to this day tells people that he was a dork in high school.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's funny that you should mention this today. Yesterday I found out my graduating class has a group on Facebook. I graduated in '05 and I was simply amazed at how many people on there have kids ages 5-7. I graduated with just under 200. I felt that I knew almost everyone that I graduated with, but after checking out the group I now feel that I only knew about half.

I would say that I was a drifter. I started going to public school my sophmore year. My cousins were one year older and one year younger than me and I went to lunch with them most of the time. My classes were messed up too with me being advanced in some and behind in others.

I absolutely hated high school. I think I started really making friends when I started working at Sonic. Sonic was the local hangout spot in my town especially for the guys who were into cars. So if you had to group me, it would probably be with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hung with the swimmers during lunch because I was on the swim team, but I wasn't in a group. I mostly kept to myself and my few best friends who all went to different schools. I was smart, played the viola, and was super duper quiet then. I was way involved in competing nationally in archery to have a lot of time for clubs/cliques/drama... on top of being quiet. All of that contributed to me not having a group of friends.

Looking back, I regret not putting more energy into the few casual friends I had because now I don't know anyone from my high school. 
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Teehee, I love the picture of the poplar trees.

I guess people thought I was a huge weirdo in highschool. My friends and I did weird things, like record crazy techno songs in different languages with my friend's father's recording studio, and shoot commercials in the halls for my friend's holistic healing potion. The school officials weren't too keen on that one.
    Some of my friends were really pretty and "popular", so I was probably the weird, average looking girl with the pretty friends.
    Two of my closest friends were gay, so I got in a few debates in class on human rights. I guess that turned me into some sort of a raging gay-rights activist in some peoples minds.
    I was one of the photographers for the yearbook my senior year, so running up to people saying "Can I take a picture of you?" certainly added to my weird factor.
    But I don't care, I had some awesome friends and had a great time in highschool.
    :)

Edit: Now, in college, I'm a little different. I'm in ROTC so most of my friends are cadets. While we still goof around and have fun, we also have a military dicispline. We're very focused on school, excercise, and ROTC. Any other friends I have I met through BF. He went to the university a year before me and I spent so much time with him I ended up being friends with his friends. They're also a great bunch :)
    White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards