Not Engaged Yet

FFF

12346»

Re: FFF

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fff-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2d679815-dbeb-4b88-a135-ed30ca9ef398Post:be26d190-fc2a-48c9-9cd0-b3e8bbe6f0ce">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, I really appreciate what Jorja and Danie both brought to this thread. Glad you both weighed in here, too. Smart ladies.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

Ditto, I agreed with and appreciated what both of you had to say. I thought the breast-feeding debate was an interesting read. I don't know very much about that topic so it was great to hear so many different perspectives (especially since the conversation remained - for the most part - rational and intelligent).

• jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    FTR, I agree with a lot of what Coco said. I just think that the people she was addressing it to were obviously part of another, more appropriate forum to discuss it in. 

It's not about people being called out on what they said, or people being upset that what they said was repeated. It's about keeping things separate, because that's how it was intended to be. Several people (today, and in the past) have had things to say about what was happening in places other than this board. They addressed it in that place. I feel that was more appropriate. 
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Awww, thanks for the love you guys! Feeling all warm and fuzzy! And Jorja, I hope you never need representation, but I'll definitely defend you in court if you do! insert standard disclaimer about typos/punctuation b/c I'm on the crappy mobile site.
  • I have one more thing to add to the breastfeeding debate, then I'm out and you guys won't see more several days because I'll be out of town.

(Also, I'm glad that Mutley chimed in -- she summed up most of the sporadic points I made).

Anyway, I don't think I worded this as well as I could have, so I'm trying again:

It's not so much that being willing to breastfeed equals being ready to parent.  There's a lot more to it than that, obviously.  And when I said that if you weren't prepared to breastfeed, you probably shouldn't have children, I didn't explain that clearly.

I think that there are a lot of sacrifices involved in being a parent, and you shouldn't have children if you aren't ready to make those sacrifices..  If you're the type of person who will prioritize not desexualizing your breasts over the healthy development of your baby, then you're probably not ready for kids.  I think that's selfish, and you can't be selfish as a mom.  What else are you going to end up being unwilling to sacrifice for your children?  That was what bugged me most about that blog post I linked. 

So it's more about what refusing to breastfeed says about a person than the actual act of refusing to breastfeed, if that makes sense.

Alrighty, bitches, I'm gone.  See ya Wednesday.

P.S.  Mutley, that thing you said about desexualizing your vagina?  That's almost word-for-word what I said to FI when we were discussing this same topic.

P.P.S. I'm really glad that, with one exception, this debate stayed nice and civil.  I love a good debate, and several of you made points I hadn't considered before, which I really appreciate.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Have a good weekend, Elle!!
    As always- you add some seriously kick ass things to this board!

ETA: And no- I didn't just post so that I could see a gold badge under my name. Well- Maybe. No...Yes. Maybe. ;) See you Wednesday!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards