Not Engaged Yet

Thinking about dresses...

2»

Re: Thinking about dresses...

• edited December 2011
    I think y'all missed the boob boat.  That's where I gained all my weight.  I wish they would go away.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure this is MUD now.  I can't see very many people being this stupid and masochistic.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thinking-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:69736603-bd05-4f8b-a333-8b56adc9fc7cPost:b00aabeb-b3be-4cf8-ab9b-e8ae8d81bccd">Re: Thinking about dresses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thinking about dresses... : Perhaps you should consider posting this on the <strong>Attire or Beauty Board</strong>. Far more appropriate.
    Posted by oceana919[/QUOTE]

Oceana is very wise, and sincerely trying to help you. Take her advice this time around.
  • breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Oceana... it's always what you don't think is your style that generally looks the best...

And although at 5'0 and petite, I would probably be a good candidate size wise to compare to, the closest I have gotten to dress shopping is watching "say yes to the dress" on TLC.  Because alas, I am not engaged and think it's silly to pre-shop...

It's like going to McDonalds at 2 to pre-pick out what you are going to eat at 5...

*Side note* - I also agree with paige and sunbird about the whole body change thing - I went from no boobs or bum to well, some boobs and bum, when I hit 18-19... and things look so different (and generally a kajillion times better)

My only advice when you're short (and take this with a grain of salt because my advice comes from dress shopping vicariously through the TLC network) don't get a big pouffy princess dress, because you will look like a cupcake... or Mariah Carey...

the end.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • edited December 2011
    I vote MUD... and she did delete her account and make another, this one without the "L" in Kayleigh.  If only for that, I call MUD.  Or I'm truly scared to meet the wives when we get to a military base if this is representative *shudder*

I think even if you WERE engaged and planning to get married in a year, you should wait a little bit!  Styles change, prices go up and down, and your body changes.  I heard 8 months out is ideal, but I'm sure that depends on where you're getting it and how much tailoring you expect.  Davids Bridal probably can have it turned around quickly, whereas a customized dress from a designer might take the full 8 months.  Or you can buy a sample dress and have it altered within a few months.

I have a friend who is engaged and getting married in July 2012 - she bought her wedding dress last week and had her Facebook posts saying, "FINALLY bought a dress!"  I can't help but cringe because I'm betting she'll be at least a 2-dress bride by the time her wedding shows up, if not a 3rd dress by then.  My mother asked me the other day when I'd want to look at wedding dresses if I got engaged soon, and I said there's no way I'm stepping foot into a bridal salon until <11 months before the wedding.  That much I've learned from TK and SYTTD!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered my dress 3 months out and it arrived 3 wks later.  Buying a year in advance is not always necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    Noelle, if you're responding to my post, I said MORE than a year is unnecessary!  From what I've heard, 8 months is the 'sweet spot' when you can still have custom made dresses but it's not so far in advance that you have to worry about style or changing your mind.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thinking-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:69736603-bd05-4f8b-a333-8b56adc9fc7cPost:9d5f3d0f-1551-4391-bdac-f2826e46370f">Re: Thinking about dresses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, that's true. I was a skinny thing in high school, and around 20 or 21 I filled out and got hips! Still waiting for the boobs, though.
    Posted by jeanacorina[/QUOTE]

This is true your body may very well stil change so I would not rush into getting a dress for that reason as well as the fact that you are not engaged yet.  Also, you are still in high school... who is buying the dress?  Until you have a entire wedding budget it probably isn't wise to start shopping for a dress.

As for curves... I had no curves until I had my and I still have no boobs... the pregnancy boobs that everyone says you get to keep, left with the belly... haha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thinking-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:69736603-bd05-4f8b-a333-8b56adc9fc7cPost:9d5f3d0f-1551-4391-bdac-f2826e46370f">Re: Thinking about dresses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, that's true. I was a skinny thing in high school, and around 20 or 21 I filled out and got hips! Still waiting for the boobs, though.
    Posted by jeanacorina[/QUOTE]

My Mom was a baby A cup until she had me.  Then she became a solid C cup, and with my brother became a D.  Babies make the boobies grow!
  • edited December 2011
    cate, I wasn't really replying to anyone in particular.  Just adding my experience that there is no need to buy a dress this early.  Especially if someone is not engaged yet.  There are plenty of ways to get a gorgeous dress that you love in time for your wedding.  It wasn't a problem for me when we decided to move our wedding up, so I see no reason why OP can't wait longer to go looking.

Another reason I call MUD - I couldn't imagine going dress shopping without my mother at least once.  OP can't even work up the courage to tell her parents she wants to get married, yet she's planning on going dress shopping?  No dress shop is going to take a 17 year old girl seriously without her mother there.  Otherwise it just looks like she's playing dress-up.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thinking-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:69736603-bd05-4f8b-a333-8b56adc9fc7cPost:1f5fff02-dc19-488b-aaf0-a52df2136343">Re: Thinking about dresses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another reason I call MUD - I couldn't imagine going dress shopping without my mother at least once.  OP can't even work up the courage to tell her parents she wants to get married, yet she's planning on going dress shopping?  No dress shop is going to take a 17 year old girl seriously without her mother there.  Otherwise it just looks like she's playing dress-up.
    Posted by noelle24[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I don't think that's a reason for MUD.  The OP had said she lost her parents, and was raised by her aunt and uncle.  That's probably why she feels she's much "growner than she is" because she's had a rough patch of things.  It's a shame because that's all the more reason she should enjoy being young, since she had to grow up so soon (assuming she's real).

And yeah, the dress shops aren't going to take her seriously at all, especially if she doesn't have a ring.

OP, if you're starting to get ideas, just look on TK and Davids Bridal to see what's out there.  But really don't get your heart set on anything until you're 1) engaged and b) have a budget, venue, and date, and of course c) tell your family.  All those things can change things significantly.
  • edited December 2011
    Am I the only one who developed hips in high school?  It massively sucked to see all the stick figures walking around when I was stuck in a size 12 jeans to accomodate my hips.

Cate: but she also calls her aunt and uncle her parents.  And claims that she's very close to them because of everything that happened.  I think my reasoning is still valid. Plus, if she thinks we're so awful and our advice is so bad, then why come back? It's just very suspicious and I can't believe I'm even wasting any more of my time on her.

And, IMO, a 17 year old who is not engaged and can't even talk to her parents about getting married doesn't even have ANY place looking at dresses online either.  There is more to life than weddings, especially at that age.  Slow down!
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure she said in the last post that she's moving away to college too. Could be remembering that wrong, but I know in high school I didn't get above 100lbs and had no boobs at all. Sophmore year I moved away to college and hello weigth gain and boobs. Gotta admit I like the boob addition, but could do without the love handles. Seeing how freshman year of dorming treats you might also be a good idea. Not that everyone gains 15+ lbs but a large portion of people do. And it's not just from drinking. I didn't drink alcohol until I was 22. College food tends to be horrible for you although there was a huge push my last year there to get some more healthy options.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thinking-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:69736603-bd05-4f8b-a333-8b56adc9fc7cPost:02770e8c-36b7-4d3b-8ec6-6e8d44d4c177">Re: Thinking about dresses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had big hips in high school too, noelle, just in college they got ridiculous.
    Posted by sunbird627[/QUOTE]

This.  Me too.  In middle school the guys used to talk about my "hourglass figure" and my "child-birthing hips."  And then they got bigger when I got to college/law school.  A friend of mine just had two kids in two years, and she's now complaining about being "hippy."  I'm really hoping that because I'm already big-hipped, having kids won't impact my body that much.

FWIW, you can clearly see my ribs, but I'm still considered "overweight" because I carry SO MUCH weight in my butt, hips, and thighs.  If I'm wearing an A-line dress or something, I look sick.  I hate it when people tell me I look so thin and they want to "feed me a sandwich," because I know they're just saying that because they can't see my bottom half.  It makes me feel disproportional in the extreme.

See OP, everyone has body image issues.  :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thinking-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:69736603-bd05-4f8b-a333-8b56adc9fc7cPost:629f7810-4bd1-4f80-8d0a-b2acc50a267c">Re: Thinking about dresses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thinking about dresses... : This.  Me too.  In middle school the guys used to talk about my "hourglass figure" and my "child-birthing hips."  And then they got bigger when I got to college/law school.  A friend of mine just had two kids in two years, and she's now complaining about being "hippy."  I'm really hoping that because I'm already big-hipped, having kids won't impact my body that much. FWIW, you can clearly see my ribs, but I'm still considered "overweight" because I carry SO MUCH weight in my butt, hips, and thighs.  If I'm wearing an A-line dress or something, I look sick.  I hate it when people tell me I look so thin and they want to "feed me a sandwich," because I know they're just saying that because they can't see my bottom half.  It makes me feel disproportional in the extreme. See OP, everyone has body image issues.  :-)
    Posted by Acrosthec[/QUOTE]

I was a "C" cup by the time I was 13.  I was what I call "chubby" throughout high school and college - lost 15 lbs Freshman year in college (but alas I put it all back on and then some after college).  It wasn't until I was about 30 that I lost the 60 lbs.  I've always had the hips and tummy to go with the boobs, but a flat butt - trying to find pants to fit me, chubby days or now, has been a fight - in order to get pants to fit around the waist, they're sagging in the butt - comfy in the butt, they're too tight around the waist (although I do have a "tiny" bit of a rounded butt now, which makes things a little easier)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards