Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

two pastors??

My fiance wanted to have his old pastor, who he grew up with, to do the wedding ceremony.  We agreed so he asked him last year. The problem, now, is that we go to a new church and are more involved and really love the pastor there.  He's helped us through some difficult times and is going to do our pre-marital counseling and everything.  We really wish we would've waited to ask.  We also decided it would be rude and disrespectful to un-ask the first pastor.  How can we incorporate our pastor into the ceremony? Any ideas?

Re: two pastors??

• Options
    My FI and I are having 2 pastors. The reason- the pastor of our church suddenly passed away in Nov. and we were worried about who would marry us. Well,  I've known both pastors who are marrying us since second grade. When I was away at school, I actually lived in one of their built-in garages with his niece. ANYWHOS- we couldn't choose between the pastor who's church we were getting married in or the pastor who we were both closer to. So we asked them both to do it. Here is our ceremony timeline:
    PreludeLighting of the CandlesProcessional……. “Canon in D”

Welcome………………………… Dr. ******

In memory of………………Pastor ******

Wedding Message- …………..Dr. *******

Song- “I Can Only Imagine”.. Pastor ***** & *****

Exchange of VowsGiving of Purity RingExchange of RingsSand CeremonySigning of marriage licenseThe KissPresentation of Bride & Groom

Recessional..”I’m Your’s”- Jason Maraz

One pastor is taking over the "serious" aspect and the other is doing things like the sand ceremony, performing a song, and doing our "in memory of".. Hope that helps! :)

• Options
    We almost had 2 priests "co-celebrate" our ceremony. You would work out how to split up the ceremony with them.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    At my brother's wedding, they had to use the pastor from they church they were having it in, but my brother wanted one of his best friends who is a pastor to marry them. So his friend did the majority of the ceremony and the actual "marrying", but the church pastor welcomed everyone and read a couple scriptures throughout the ceremony.
  • Options
    I've seen it done.  It was a really nice ceremony.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Want to hear something crazy? I'm having 3!!! I wanted the one from my childhood to do the whole ceremony (it has been my dream forever). We asked him 2 years ago, right after we got engaged. However, my daddy is friends with our former associate pastor (who is now the Senior Pastor at another Church) AND with the current Senior Pastor at our Church!! I then thought it would be ok for the second to just do a prayer or something, but my daddy told me that it would be rude to not include the current Senior Pastor in the ceremony!! At this point, I guess I'm going to be having 2 different ministers saying prayers during my ceremony so that the original minister can do the actual ceremony! Laughing
  • Options
    Two pastors is totally do-able, happens all the time. Ranges from literal co-officiating to one of the pastors only giving a blessing. Some pastors don't like to do it though and won't. Also the old pastor will likely not care at all, or mind having a smaller role, especially if you are planning to get married in your new church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards