Not Engaged Yet
Options

Are we odd?

So apparently spending time with you SO on New Years is, like, mandatory around here.  FBD and I NEVER spend New Years Eve together.  I like to party, he doesn't.  I always do dinner with my BFFs, he does video games and pizza with his.  I go out to a party and he stays home with the dogs.  I usually call him at Midnight to wish him a Happy New Year and I'm usually home by 4 a.m.

Is this weird?  I've had several people tell me that they can't understand why we don't spend NYE together.  Apparently we're weird.  I just don't see it as a family holiday thing...I see it as another excuse to party.  I'm sure eventually we'll spend a NYE together but we haven't yet - and neither of us really cares.  What about you ladies? Do you spend NYE with your SO?  DO you spend it with friends? What do you think?

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
Murried Bio

Re: Are we odd?

• Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I went to a party at my friend's house last year. It sucked, because all she did was whine about not having her BF there.

I don't know if BF and I will spend it together this year, but I guess I'm like you, Paige. I don't see it as a mandatory SO thing. I don't find it odd at all if a couple doesn't spend it together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're weird but definitely different from me and my friends. If you are cool with it, I don't see a problem! It's totally fine to not be attached at the hip. If you like to party and he likes to stay in, problem solved! I wouldn't worry about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the past I have always spent NYE with family and/or at church, so I'm right with you Paige.....although, this year is the first time I'm spending it with BF and I'm sooooo excited! I've never spent NYE with anyone other than my family so I am over the moon that I can spend it with BF.

So, no, I don't think you guys are weird. It sounds normal for me, but I don't know how normal that is for others...
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Paige! This is just one more reason why your relationship is not valid!! lmao JK

To each their own... This is mine and BF's second NYE together... but it's also my Birthday so, I wouldnt imagine NOT spending it with him...  Last year, we went out... this year we're staying in...

Either way, have fun!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope! FI and I don't ever spend NYE together either. The first year we were dating, we saw each other BRIEFLY in the evening, but other than that, we didn't. The last two years we haven't seen each other at all, and both done our own stuff. This years the same- we'll be doing our own things.  FI is more of a stay in type of guy, and I'm not completely. I like those types of times, but on NYE, I like to actually do something. And, it's one of my friends 21st birthday that day, so I want to go with her.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it works for you and your bf, then I think that is all that matters! I like staying in (as does K), so we prefer doing an early dinner and then coming home and spending the evening playing video games or board games.

I think it shows that you can trust each other. I feel like couples that feel like they have to spend every waking hour together might have trust issues.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Excellent.  I didn't think we were weird for doing it this way - but I have some friends that beg to differ. In fact, my BFF won't spend NYE without her SO.  Absolutely will not.  I don't get it.

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I have always spent NYE together. We usually spend it at his Mom's with a few other friends and some family, but it's really just a slop fest, and I love it. The next day we all play video games in our PJs and hope nobody vomits. We both like to party the same amount, you could say, so there's no argument there.

NYE was always a semi-family occasion with close friends growing up, so that's how I see it now. I think I would be sad not spending it with BF. However, I really don't think it's mandatory to do it that way, and I know a lot of people don't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I don't view it as a mandatory SO event. I think the only time people may care is the kiss after midnight, and that isn't even a big deal.

If you and FBD liked doing the same things then I might think it is weird that you don't do NYE together. However, as you have described it I don't think you are odd at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're not weird, although I've spent every NYE with BF since we've been together except last year because he had a really bad sinus infection and was quarantined. We usually spend it together with one of our families. I don't see my friends - most of my friends are Russian and New Years is a BIG deal to them, like party until 8am big deal. I don't have the stamina for that.
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weirdo...

KIDDING!!! IMO (this goes for any holiday) It's just another day, what makes this day so special that you NEED to be together? You spend pretty much every other night together, not being together on NYE will not curse your relationship. Although it may make your marriage invalid, yet again.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a82c88f-014e-4abe-94d4-9ccb9edc1200Post:32d515c1-5666-4108-a1e1-ef62bc8391f1">Re: Are we odd?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weirdo... KIDDING!!! IMO (this goes for any holiday) It's just another day, what makes this day so special that you NEED to be together? You spend pretty much every other night together, not being together on NYE will not curse your relationship. <strong>Although it may make your marriage invalid, yet again.</strong>
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]
    Reason #437....? lol

Murried Bio
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a82c88f-014e-4abe-94d4-9ccb9edc1200Post:c7be41d9-7ac5-4841-9648-48eb1bde29a0">Re: Are we odd?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we odd? : Reason #437....? lol
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

I've lost count.
  • Options
    marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nah, you're not weird.

But I'm completely the opposite; I'd be really, really bummed if we couldn't be together on NYE and kiss at midnight. Kiss <--- Heehee, it has eyelashes.
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We aren't very in to holidays. Like eKath said, it's just another day, whether it's Christmas, NYE, birthdays, whatever. We celebrate, but if we had to celebrate Christmas on Dec. 27 instead of Dec. 25, that's ok. We both travel extensively for work so I guess that's why we have this approach - we never know if we'll be home for holidays.

That said, we will spend NYE together because we're both in town. I just moved here and don't have many friends in the area yet and he's a bit of an introvert. So it's just us!
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a82c88f-014e-4abe-94d4-9ccb9edc1200Post:4d22b4ab-23e9-4c26-97a2-539f41f1a5e9">Re: Are we odd?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Excellent.  I didn't think we were weird for doing it this way - but I have some friends that beg to differ. In fact, my BFF won't spend NYE without her SO.  Absolutely will not.  I don't get it.
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

Perhaps your friend is a firm believer in the saying "How you ring in the new year is how you spend the rest of your year" or something to that effect anyway. Maybe she thinks they will break up if they don't spend it together. IDK. I have spent every NYE with DH thus far. I have no clue what will be happening this year.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a82c88f-014e-4abe-94d4-9ccb9edc1200Post:f9f32525-0377-47ee-8406-4e9c8ad9d2de">Re: Are we odd?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we odd? : Perhaps your friend is a firm believer in the saying<strong> "How you ring in the new year is how you spend the rest of your year"</strong> or something to that effect anyway. Maybe she thinks they will break up if they don't spend it together. IDK. I have spent every NYE with DH thus far. I have no clue what will be happening this year.
    Posted by loopy82[/QUOTE]

I'm usually cranky and biitchy after 10 so by 11:45 I'm a real peach. Just because I'm a complete biitch at midnight doesn't mean I'm a complete biitch the rest of the year...oh wait, maybe your friend IS right!
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011

ekath- You sure are funny!

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a82c88f-014e-4abe-94d4-9ccb9edc1200Post:04d9377a-ac15-4f68-959e-27a698ae67bf">Re: Are we odd?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are we odd? : I'm usually cranky and biitchy after 10 so by 11:45 I'm a real peach. <strong>Just because I'm a complete biitch at midnight doesn't mean I'm a complete biitch the rest of the year...oh wait, maybe your friend IS right!</strong>
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]

<div>It's like you are me...</div>

Murried Bio
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Your relationship isn't valid if you don't spend every waking moment together, fyi.

EDIT: Just read through the thread and Kath beat me to it!
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're weird, I'm weird. FI and I have never spent NYE (or Christmas together). I know it's because we don't live close enough to each other right now, but I don't get upset about it the way people expect me to. They're always horrified that we're not together and I'm not moping about it. As someone else said, it's just another day. I'm sure it would be nice to be together, but I'm not going to sit home and cry about not being together.
  • Options
    bettyshawbettyshaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I have never spent NYE together. Before we started dating it just never worked out that way, because I did stuff with my family and he with is, but even last year I had to work, and this year he's out of town. So far it hasn't made a difference, though I do wish I could kiss him at midnight :)
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think its weird, I say its a preference, but Paige I've noticed you are "special" from the beginning. I wouldn't mind if FI and I were not together, if we each had something we rather do.  But since he and I have similar social habits and preferences then we end up doing the same thing for NYE and most holidays.  Plus I like planting a big wet kiss on him at the stroke of midnight. 
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We've always spent it together, but if my friends wanted to do a girls night and his wanted to do something, I'd have no problem doing separate events.  Paige, it makes perfect sense for you and your FI. You guys enjoy different things. I don't think it's a big deal.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I'm not off my rocker - I was pretty sure this made sense.  lol

And I enjoy that I'm "special", thanks Lyn! haha

Murried Bio
  • Options
    garcias1garcias1 member
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I see no problem with not spending the holiday together.  Like you said, most people don't consider it a "family" holiday - more of a get-wasted-and-forget-what-happened holiday.  FI and I don't even spend "family" holidays together.  We said we would start doing that once we are married.  We see each other enough that we don't need to be together on Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.  Our relationship isn't invalid just because we exchange Christmas gifts on Christmas eve.
    Puppy Love
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    BF and I have never spent New Years Eve together so I don't think its odd.

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a82c88f-014e-4abe-94d4-9ccb9edc1200Post:9d62157f-70f7-4938-b973-b34c3a1ca6e3">Re: Are we odd?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes.
    Posted by TheMutleys[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks.</div>

Murried Bio
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I have the same friends so we usually bring in the New Year with them. This year the person hosting is having a formal party. I'd be sad if I didn't get my New Year's kiss!

We might also stop by my parents' house. Every year my family gets Chinese food. :)

I think by far the best New Years was when he surprised me with tickets to Rent on Broadway. We were originally supposed to see it in Buffalo. BF called me like two weeks before and said he had a band concert he'd forgotten about so he found someone to sell our Rent tickets to and that he was really, really sorry. Well I was pissed and started yelling at him. He calmed me down enough to ask me if I'd be ok with going to NYC for New Years. Changing emotions that fast is weird. lol We didn't actually watch the ball drop in the city (the crowd was INSANE), but it was still an awesome experience.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards