Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

salt covenant

I wanted another idea instead of the unity and sand ceremony and came across this tradition called the salt covenant and love the idea and the meaning behind it. Heres what I got online from a yahho answers website. 
I thought about having 3 small pouches or bags.  One with his name, one with mine and then one that say Husband and Wife with our date on it. 

Is anyone doing anything like this?

The Salt Covenant is a loyalty pact.

In biblical times men carried a pinch of salt on their belts. When two men wanted to make a covenant of loyalty, each would take some salt from his pouch and sprinkle it in the other man's pouch. Then they stated their terms of their agreement and shook their salt pouches, mingling the grains of salt.

Shaking the salt pouches reminded them that the covenant could not be broken, because it was no longer possible to go into the other man's pouch and retreive the original grains that each had deposited. Therefore, the pact is binding and eternal as which signifies your union-- binding and forever.

Numbers 18:19
Leviticus 2:13
2 Chronicles 13:5

UNITY SALT CEREMONY : (I changed the words bottle to bags)

_______________ and ______________, today you join your separate lives together. The two separate bags of salt symbolize your separate lives, separate families and separate sets of friends. They represent all that you are and all that you’ll ever be as an individual. They also represent your lives before today. As these two bags of salt are poured into the third bag, the individual containers of salt will no longer exist, but will be joined together as one. Just as these grains of salt can never be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so will your marriage be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: salt covenant

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards