Not Engaged Yet
Options

Warning: Rant

This semester has really taken a toll on me. I hate all three of my classes and I feel like I was lied to about this what this grad. program's focus is. Honestly, if I was re-applying to grad schools I wouldn't even apply to the school I'm at. One class in particular is extremely frustrating. The main assignment for the semester is to write a literature review. The edits my professor has done on my drafts of this assignment are making it nearly impossible to even write. My topic is not in his realm of expertise (which he knows and has admitted) but he still makes ridiculous edits and constantly tries to change the direction of my paper. I'm frustrated to the point of tears because I don't even know where to go with the paper at this point.

I don't mind getting constructive criticism on my papers. I actually welcome it because a lot of times I don't feedback that will help me improve my writing. But I don't think his criticism is constructive at all.

Ok, rant over. Anyone else have something they need to rant about?

Re: Warning: Rant

• Options

I am sorry Beth.  That really sucks that they deceived you :(  

I don't have any rants today except that I can't find any internships pertaining to my degree and it is annoying me :( 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:ebc6f538-f14e-46d4-a32f-fe91580a5e00">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sorry Beth.  That really sucks that they deceived you :(     I don't have any rants today except that<strong> I can't find any internships pertaining to my degree and it is annoying me :(</strong>   
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Finding internships is a pain.

• Options
    That sucks about your program Beth, it is too hard to transfer to another grad school at this point? 

I have many rants at the moment, but I'll limit it to just two today.
    1. The weather, we really don't need more wind and rain here and snow is definitely not going to help.
    2. I just want a working washer/dryer.  Is that so hard right now? 

I know I have a lot to be grateful for too.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:611c73f3-b457-4e81-9f1b-8d50e9afbd58">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sucks about your program Beth, <strong>it is too hard to transfer to another grad school at this point?</strong>  I have many rants at the moment, but I'll limit it to just two today. 1. The weather, we really don't need more wind and rain here and snow is definitely not going to help. 2. I just want a working washer/dryer.  Is that so hard right now?  I know I have a lot to be grateful for too.
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They are all so different I'd pretty much have to start all over. I'm hoping things are better next semester.

• Options
    That really sucks, what are you going to grad school for? Sorry I forget!

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm sorry Beth, that really, really sucks.

My rant is that I really wish BF would seriously look for a new job, instead of just half-heartedly looking every once in a while. He doesn't have health insurance and they pay him crap. I know he can find a better job if he just puts in the effort, but I think he's too comfortable in his current position because he gets to work from home and because it's a relatively easy job. I do think eventually he'll be fed up with it, and will really start trying to get another job, but with the way his company is going, there's no guarantee he'll have a job for more than a few more months. I feel like he's just waiting until the company tanks, which is stupid. I love him like crazy and know what a hard worker he is (he also has a part-time job), but I just wish he showed a little more ambition.

Rant over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Danser - I'm going to grad. school for Communication.

Hummingbird - That sounds frustating.

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the Prof Beth.  Any chance there may be a intermediate for you?  Or a third party person that can look over your paper.  My Grad program had hired people to assist in editing papers for grad students.  They helped me with my thesis.  Bleh.... hopefully the semester goes quickly and next one is better.

I really don't have a rant.  I'm just buried under piles of work that I have been procrastinating on.  Bleh....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:f815c37d-1b40-4941-a43f-660bd7115918">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear about the Prof Beth.  Any chance there may be a intermediate for you?  Or a third party person that can look over your paper.  My Grad program had hired people to assist in editing papers for grad students.  They helped me with my thesis.  Bleh.... hopefully the semester goes quickly and next one is better. I really don't have a rant.  I'm just buried under piles of work that I have been procrastinating on.  Bleh....
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking I'm going to have a different professor (who is an expert on my topic) look over my paper. The biggest problem is that my professor really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about when it comes to my topic.

My actual writing is fine. It's the content that is the issue.

• Options
    That's got to be extremely frustrating. I had an uber feminist global studies teacher a few years back and she allowed her opinion to interfere too much with her grading. I hope next semester gets better for you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:e7c39988-aa34-40e9-8905-77951915e7a5">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's got to be extremely frustrating. <strong>I had an uber feminist global studies teacher a few years back and she allowed her opinion to interfere too much with her grading.</strong> I hope next semester gets better for you.
    Posted by steign[/QUOTE]

He is pretty much exactly like that! He wants me to make my paper about feminism or oppression but that just isn't really my interest.

• Options
    That wouldn't interest me either, and as a graduate student you should be able to write your paper on something you feel confident about.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:371ee997-50d3-4d82-8906-8d57cff3d628">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]That wouldn't interest me either, and as <strong>a graduate student you should be able to write your paper on something you feel confident about.</strong>
    Posted by steign[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He's known for giving lower grades to students who don't agree with him. I know quite a few of the students in my class are just saying what he wants to hear but I'm just not the type of person to kiss a$$ just for a grade.

• Options
    steignsteign member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:101ee4f1-fa1e-4c89-b9cf-b988a60bc4a1">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Warning: Rant : Agreed. <strong>He's known for giving lower grades to students who don't agree with him. </strong>I know quite a few of the students in my class are just saying what he wants to hear but I'm just not the type of person to kiss a$$ just for a grade.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I know about that all too well. I'm glad you're sticking up for what you believe and not just writing what he wants you to for an A. How much longer do you have in your program?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:532739eb-f22d-4dc3-8f91-8e21b82b7817">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Warning: Rant : Unfortunately I know about that all too well. I'm glad you're sticking up and not just writing what he wants you to for an A. How much longer do you have in your program?
    Posted by steign[/QUOTE]

I have a year left in the program...well maybe a year and a half. I might take an extra semester so I can be hired on as a teaching assistant next year.

Thank-god this is the only class I have to take with this professor! The other class he teaches is communication and power - which is SUPER political and a complete nightmare for anyone who doesn't share his political views. That class is optional though and after this class there is no way in hell I would take it.

• Options
    steignsteign member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I don't blame you one bit. Ugh, I am taking an American Society & Politics class right now and it's awful. Half the class is spent just fighting about Obama, Romney and ballot measures. It's awkward because the professor who teaches it just lets people argue because she's such a push over and wants people to "voice their opinions".

• Options
    Oh that is awful! I've had classes like that before and they are kind of draining. I'm so glad the elections are going to be over soon because it's all anyone will talk about lately. My co-worker is especially annoying about it!

• Options
    Same here. Although, not sure what people will complain about in class then, haha.

• Options
    Haha...I'm sure they'll find something.

• Options
    Gyah, Beth, that sounds terrible.  I know what you mean about the value of good criticism.  I coasted through every class that required writing until I got to one mid-level undergrad British Literature course and the instructor was tough.  However, he was also fair and gave great feedback.  I worked my tail off in that class!  However, for someone to try to redirect you on a subject they don't know would be mind-numbingly frustrating.  I hope your other classes are better!

Hummingbird, sorry to hear your SO lacks motivation.  It is scary to wait until you lose a job to start looking right now.  Does he work in a profession where there are a variety of opportunities out there, or is it tough for him to locate work in his field? 

No rants from me today... yet.

• Options
    Fortunately there is nothing rant worthy of the election. I voted and that's that!

Today FI and I argued about his current job and his lack of searching for something in his career choice. It had been bothering me for awhile and he could tell I was upset so after class this morning we sat down and talked. Basically I bawled my eyes out. The one big difference between FI and I is he is very calm and collected and I'm....not. Since we've been together I've been working harder on maintaining my emotions so when I would get upset about something I would hold it in. This leads to me breaking down later on. Fortunately we talked out a lot of issues that have been bothering the both of us and we feel a lot better.

So I'm sitting here having a Big Ban Theory marathon through my puffy eyes enjoying my dinner of wine and brownies. At least I'll sleep good tonight!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warning-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a1f1283f-1a30-424b-b8eb-42b3c9b9c05bPost:a23c7c31-e1fc-4c26-9939-daa8953c6527">Re: Warning: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fortunately there is nothing rant worthy of the election. I voted and that's that! Today FI and I argued about his current job and his lack of searching for something in his career choice. It had been bothering me for awhile and he could tell I was upset so after class this morning we sat down and talked. Basically I bawled my eyes out. The one big difference between FI and I is he is very calm and collected and I'm....not. Since we've been together I've been working harder on maintaining my emotions so when I would get upset about something I would hold it in. This leads to me breaking down later on. Fortunately we talked out a lot of issues that have been bothering the both of us and we feel a lot better. <strong>So I'm sitting here having a Big Ban Theory marathon through my puffy eyes enjoying my dinner of wine and brownies. At least I'll sleep good tonight!</strong>
    Posted by JordanF13[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you need a night like that! I wish I had some wine...maybe it would make me write better!

• Options
    That stinks Beth. I'd say let him have it and write the best paper in the entire class! He doesn't sound like the type of prof I'd like at all.

Only two rants for me: 1) Headcold. 2) Where to live next semester.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards