Not Engaged Yet
Options

Plans for the 4th?

Anyone have big plans for the 4th this year? Travelling or continuing holiday traditions?

I'm a little bummed this year. There's always a huge fireworks show down at the lakefront on the 3rd. They are shot off over Lake Michigan and last about an hour long. For the past several years, BF and I meet up with friends and hang out for the day down at the lake and we all bring food to grill/share. This year, BF and I both work til about 5 and won't get down there til about 6. We both forgot to ask off. We'll still get to enjoy the fireworks, but we'll be missing out on all the daytime fun. Oh well. There's always next year.

For the 4th, not really sure what we'll be doing. Most cities have cancelled their fireworks due to safety reasons. It hasn't rained here in SE WI for probably over a month so conditions are really dry. It would be too dangerous for any cities that don't/can't do their fireworks over a lake.

What are you all planning on doing?

Re: Plans for the 4th?

• Options
    H is getting ready to go to another conference so he has to work on the 4th (boooo) so I'll probably just hang around the house and get some work done too.  I am most definitely making some turkey burgers for dinner, though....it's not the 4th without grilled noms!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think we're going to have a little party at my house with a couple friends. There will be very few places doing fireworks here in CO due to all the fires (Which I totally support), so our usual plans of spending the day in Estes Park are probably not happening. We all have yet to decide anything official, so i'm sure it will be causal & relaxed which is perfect for the way my week is already starting out! :)
  • Options
    LaSak - grilled food is the best. I really dislike hamburger, so I wonder if I'd like turkey burgers or if it would remind me too much of a regular burger. Hmm.

Allusive - I'm totally in support of cancelling fireworks also. It's just dangerous and irresponsible in extreme heat/dry & windy conditions. Hope your week gets better!
  • Options
    I'm excited to have good 4th of July plans for like the first time ever. Our friend's girlfriend's 30th birthday is on the 4th, so she organized one of those cruises around NYC. It came out to about $100 per person, which was more than I wanted to spend, but me and BF decided to splurge and go for it. There will be food and a 3 hour open bar, and we'll be able to see the fireworks! The birthday girl is pretty BSC, but she does know how to have a good time... 

Now I just need to figure out what to wear Undecided

In other news, BF (who usually works 2pm-10pm), got a new schedule and now works 7am-3pm. Yay! We can actually do things together in the evenings now, and he'll have no problem making it to the 4th of July cruise. So happy Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The Knot ate my post :-(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    melmac, sorry to hear that you won't be able to spend the 4th with your friends.  I think it occurring mid-week messed a lot of people up.  I've heard from quite a few friends that won't be doing much because they for got to take some time off for the holiday.

We will be heading to FI's parent's cabin.  His brother will be in town from Phoenix as well.  I am both looking forward to the relaxation and knowing what a great time my daughter will have being on the lake and able to get outside and play in a way that is tricky to do when you live in a city!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:9b8f0dcc-52ff-41cb-823c-b6643d23a2da">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Knot ate my post :-(
    Posted by Hummingbird125[/QUOTE]

<div>And threw it back up.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:812165d5-a8bb-4f3a-85d4-be77e264c41b">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]melmac, sorry to hear that you won't be able to spend the 4th with your friends.  I think it occurring mid-week messed a lot of people up.  I've heard from quite a few friends that won't be doing much because they for got to take some time off for the holiday. We will be heading to FI's parent's cabin.  His brother will be in town from Phoenix as well.  I am both looking forward to the relaxation and knowing what a great time my daughter will have being on the lake and able to get outside and play in a way that is tricky to do when you live in a city!
    Posted by RWS2011[/QUOTE]

Getting out of town for some peace and quiet is always great. Have fun!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:a20e1322-ebb2-4552-bcb5-93c8816c371e">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Plans for the 4th? : And threw it back up.

It ate my original post for a few seconds and then threw that back up also. Guess TK isn't feeling well today.
  • Options
    I have no idea what we're doing.

Tomorrow I'm off work at noon, so I'm having lunch and drinks and cupcakes with Polo.  BF's brother just started an internship next door to my office, so he'll be coming home with us tomorrow afternoon.

As for Wednesday, the plan was to sleep until noon, but if the power doesn't come back on, I'm going home.  If it does, I'll probably be staying with M and his roommates to help clean out the fridge and freezer and clean up the mess that has ensued with everything defrosting.  It's not been a pretty picture.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    melmac86melmac86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Peek - Have there been a lot of bad storms in your area? We could really use the rain here, so send it this way!

Edit - gotta run to a work meeting. I'll check back later.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    My birthday is tomorrow...best day to have a birthday...so we're going to dinner with our parents tonight. Tomorrow my friend is having a party, and all of my closest friends will be there which is exciting. Wednesday we are going to FI's best man's parents' house. They live on 100 acres of land and have a huge 4th of July party each year. Then we're going to our local fireworks with our newlywed best friends.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    I'm working both Tuesady and Wednesday nights. We are having a BBQ here next weekend, which I'm pretty excited for :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:2373fced-97ba-4136-ae8a-cd8025050a39">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm working both Tuesady and Wednesday nights. We are having a BBQ here next weekend, which I'm pretty excited for :)
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]
    w00t!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Not sure if we have any big plans yet, BF's co-worker invited us to his house for the pool, bbq and fireworks at the park across from their house Tuesday night.  We might go.  I like BF's co-worker he's really cool actually.  His wife is so annoying though.

No plans yet for Wednesday but we'll see.

Anniversary

• Options
    Happy Early Birthday Jaycee!!! 

FI and I are having a small BBQ at our place. We live about 2 blocks from the city park where they shoot fireworks over Lake Erie. We're provide meat and booze, every one else brings a side dish and we grill, chat and then watch the fireworks from our front yard! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:6ff74fb8-363d-4f76-ad08-4d9f73740cd6">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peek - Have there been a lot of bad storms in your area? We could really use the rain here, so send it this way! Edit - gotta run to a work meeting. I'll check back later.
    Posted by melmac86[/QUOTE]

We had a freak derecho Friday night.  It caused 80 mph winds and knocked out power for about 3 million in the DC area, as of last call.  They've had a lot of trouble with downed power lines and completely destroyed infrastructure.  And the estimates are that there are quite a few people who won't have power until Friday at 11 PM.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    Happy early birthday Jaycee!

Pee k that is awful, hopefully the power comes on sooner than expected for everyone in the area.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:801b4d0b-d14c-4844-adfb-2ff804c23ece">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm excited to have good 4th of July plans for like the first time ever. Our friend's girlfriend's 30th birthday is on the 4th, so she organized one of those cruises around NYC. It came out to about $100 per person, which was more than I wanted to spend, but me and BF decided to splurge and go for it. There will be food and a 3 hour open bar, and we'll be able to see the fireworks! The birthday girl is pretty BSC, but she does know how to have a good time...  Now I just need to figure out what to wear  In other news, BF (who usually works 2pm-10pm), got a new schedule and now works 7am-3pm. Yay! We can actually do things together in the evenings now, and he'll have no problem making it to the 4th of July cruise. So happy 

Those cruises are the best. I went on a circle line cruise a few years ago and the sights are amazing, particularly if you love NYC.

My plans are currently non-existant, but when my BF comes up tomorrow night we'll discuss. We've both got studying to do but we might go to the movies or find fireworks or something. It's the first year since I've been in the states I've not had a big party to go to, but it will be nice just to chill out.
  • Options
    no real plans yet.  :(  trying to get on that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:4aed30f9-1ff9-46ec-b0db-12e38242e148">Re:Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My birthday is tomorrow...best day to have a birthday...so we're going to dinner with our parents tonight. Tomorrow my friend is having a party, and all of my closest friends will be there which is exciting. Wednesday we are going to FI's best man's parents' house. They live on 100 acres of land and have a huge 4th of July party each year. Then we're going to our local fireworks with our newlywed best friends.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

We are birthday twins! I'm just spending the day with BF and we are going on a date later in the evening. I don't really make a big deal about my birthday anymore so I'm not having any sort of party.

As for the 4th, this is the first year I won't be home for it. My hometown is a really small town and the 4th is a huge deal so I'm a little sad I'll be missing out on all the usual festivities. They have an awesome fireworks show I'll be sad to miss too. BF and I are going to a friend's house and watching fireworks on the roof though so that should be a good time.

• Options
    Thanks, guys!

How old are you turning Beth? That would be sweet if we had the exact same bday. Happy early bday!

Peek, I definitely had to google wtf a derecho was. That sucks though :( I hope the power comes back on soon.
    5/27/12
  • Options

Happy birthday Jaycee and Beth!

We don't get any fireworks here but we are going to have a camp fire and roast marshmallows and drink beer.  It will also be ironic because there is a British WWOOFer here, so that will be amusing.  He keeps claiming England let us go.  Haha ya right. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options

A friend of mine posted this picture of the storm.  It's crazy that something that beautiful can cause that much damage.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    Happy birthday too beth!

Pee k - wow that picture is beautiful but at the same time so scary. Wows

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:e489044d-a267-46bd-b38d-8909f40f66be">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine posted this picture of the storm.  It's crazy that something that beautiful can cause that much damage.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Holy SHIIIIT. If I saw that I would probably die from cardiac arrest. I'm petrified of storms, well more so lightning.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Jaycee and Beth!

Pee k, sorry to hear about the crazy storm fall out.  That picture is both breathtaking and horrifying.  

• Options
    That is so scary pee k!  Looks like a massive group of death eaters.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I plan to be sitting on the same beach chair I am currently parked on. This resort is awesome, and i'll have lots to AW when I get back. I can't upload pics through WiFi. I miss you girls!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_plans-for-the-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:cffba077-bcd1-4d61-a097-5be8b7de19c8Post:51932597-b077-4eb0-9b27-f88329c1dc5c">Re: Plans for the 4th?</a>:
    [QUOTE]H is getting ready to go to another conference so he has to work on the 4th (boooo) so I'll probably just hang around the house and get some work done too.  I am most definitely making some turkey burgers for dinner, though....it's not the 4th without grilled noms!
    Posted by LaSak87[/QUOTE]

FI is working the 4th since we are going out of town next weekend for a wedding and they needed someone.  So I feel you on the Bleh.

He is going to drive to meet us at our friend;s house though for BBQ and then fireworks after work!
    DIStickers.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards