Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Theme?

I am terribly lost here, everyone keeps asking me what is the Theme of my wedding. Does your wedding have to have a theme? If so I am so in for it because now I have no idea what to do for one!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Theme?

• Options
    Our theme is "wedding."   In fact, I've never been to a wedding that had a theme OTHER than "wedding."  In my opinion, themes are for 7-year-olds birthday parties.

If there is something special to you two that you want to incorporate, then I recommend small touches instead of big, in-your-face stuff.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8c5a7f5-7618-4a47-8677-c4e7080dec93Post:8c7bf23e-afc0-4cc1-9094-4e7a5f3fcfba">Re: Theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our theme is "wedding."   In fact, I've never been to a wedding that had a theme OTHER than "wedding."  In my opinion, <strong>themes are for 7-year-olds birthday parties. </strong>If there is something special to you two that you want to incorporate, then I recommend small touches instead of big, in-your-face stuff.   
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]
    I thought the same thing when someone asked me what my theme was. :) .
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Our theme is "budget" lol. We're sticking with our color scheme, but we have no theme. I think they are completely over thought and unecessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    Theme simply means the feel, do you want it to be casual and fun or upscale and sophisticated in the city, country homestyle or just everything in a certain color...thats what I understand theme to mean when it comes to weddings, yes some people have very specific themes, I have been to a 'hockey wedding' which to me a lot of the hockey elements took away from it being a wedding, but it was totally them so good on them for doing what they wanted. I dont think people should be judged for having a theme, its just a way to discribe your wedding so people can better help you achieve the look you are going for when you ask questions.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    Some people have a defined theme, others have a running motif, and others have a general sensibility to the wedding.  

In the last year, I went to a wedding with a theme of Glittery peacock where the bridal party was dressed in teal with purple floral bouquets that included real peacock feathers and silver heels.  The centerpieces were submerged peacock feathers in a vase with a glittery striped design.    

I went to another wedding with a motif of two hearts in which there were linked hearts on every surface possible (tablecloths, invites, ice sculpture, the ribbons on the bouquets etc). 

I went to yet another wedding where the sensibility was country rustic and the reception was a picnic held at the farm owned by the groom's grandparents.  The dinner was a backyard barbecue.  The wedding party wore cowboy boots and the flower "girl" was the couple's dog who wore a flower garland. 

These ideas helped the bride and groom decide on their decor choices.  People are just interested in the details of your wedding and sharing the joy.  Congratulations!
  • Options
    harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    My 'theme' is victorian.  It's only a theme in as far as the venue is a converted old victorian mansion, so I went for a victorian look to stationary, wedding cake and centerpeices.

The WP isn't going to be in period clothes or any such nonsense.

You can go 'deep theme' with every element matching, you can have some general style inspiration, you can pick a color or two to use consistanly or you can do non of these and still have a perfectly lovely wedding!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8c5a7f5-7618-4a47-8677-c4e7080dec93Post:a940d409-86fe-4ff3-85b0-fd6931ffa6d8">Re: Theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our theme is "budget" lol. We're sticking with our color scheme, but we have no theme. I think they are completely over thought and unecessary.
    Posted by mandctaft[/QUOTE]

We just went with colors as well.  Although our invites, reply cards, table numbers, & thank you cards all had lovebirds on them.  So did our cake, and my bouquet had a couple feathers in it, so I guess we kinda did have a theme  :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Our theme was fall.

If people ask what is your theme is you can just say your weddings colors or say "We don't have any object that runs a theme in our wedding other than us uniting as husband and wife!"
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8c5a7f5-7618-4a47-8677-c4e7080dec93Post:a940d409-86fe-4ff3-85b0-fd6931ffa6d8">Re: Theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our theme is "budget" lol. We're sticking with our color scheme, but we have no theme. I think they are completely over thought and unecessary.
    Posted by mandctaft[/QUOTE]
    That's pretty much what we are doing. Lke if the tables have sage green on them for table runners, then the aqua Gems are purple and Etc. Then again our guess book, pen holder, things as that such have double hearts on them. Not even knowing we did that, so we just bought the rest in double hearts. Not everything has it though, so I would consider it theme.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8c5a7f5-7618-4a47-8677-c4e7080dec93Post:6698b746-29dc-469f-bd4b-7ed8e57b5192">Re: Theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My 'theme' is victorian.  It's only a theme in as far as the venue is a converted old victorian mansion, so I went for a victorian look to stationary, wedding cake and centerpeices. The WP isn't going to be in period clothes or any such nonsense. You can go 'deep theme' with every element matching, you can have some general style inspiration, you can pick a color or two to use consistanly or you can do non of these and still have a perfectly lovely wedding!
    Posted by harpsdesire[/QUOTE]
    I love you idea for your theme, it sounds ver nice!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:e8c5a7f5-7618-4a47-8677-c4e7080dec93Post:473512b6-84f8-4d34-a43e-e3db8f45e4a5">Re: Theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our theme was fall. If people ask what is your theme is you can just say your weddings colors or say <strong>"We don't have any object that runs a theme in our wedding other than us uniting as husband and wife!"</strong>
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]
     Love that response :) I didn't really think about such stuff when planning. If it was cute I got it. I think the only thing that is really "themed" in my wedding is the guestbook, pen/holder, cake topper, things as that such and that is bc we boguht a few things that had Double hearts on them and just got the rest to match. I wouldn't consider it a "theme" because nothing else is Double hearts.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ahh! Gotcha! Thanks for the explanations y'all!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Ours is romance!!  I don't get the whole theme thing either, but I wanted a "romantic" wedding with lots of candles and nice colors (we're having champagne and different shades of purple)....so that's the closest thing to a theme I could come up with!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That makes two lol!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This is something that drove me crazy the first year of my planning!  I kept seeing "theme this" and "theme that".  I wasn't sure if I needed one, thought maybe I should pick one, but didn't know what was "us", and didn't want to pick something just to have something.

Eventually I found a vase that I really loved on etsy, and our theme was born.  Its not really what the wedding is about.  It just helps make decisions about the look and feel of the decor.

• Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one whose "theme" is budget lol We are getting married next May and have decided on a simple but somewhat elegant wedding. Nothing over the top . . . just nice. . . I can't even seem to decide on just two colors as we both love all the colors of Spring and are getting married at a park by the beach with tons of flowers that don't have to be bought or brought, we picked the place for it's natural beauty. . . does that count as a theme ?  IF so I've finally got one lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards