Not Engaged Yet
Options

Spanx and Tanning

Spanx:  I was channel surfing yesterday and stopped on QVC and watched a Spanx infomercial.  I've been wanting to go buy a few different Spanx products, but just haven't gotten around to it.  If you have any Spanx, which is your favorite?  I'm definitely going to need to get a strapless one for underneath my dress...

Sunless Tanning:  So, I have very, very sensitive skin.  If I'm out in the sun for even 30 minutes I get sunburnt and unfortunately sunburns = my skin being REALLY bright red and blotchy (you witnessed this Jeana).  I'm starting to freak out about how I am going to get my arms and shoulders an even color for the wedding, since my dress is strapless.  I was thinking of those sunless tanning lotions but I really don't want to look completely fake or orange - any suggestions?

Sorry for the 2 completely different thoughts - it's just one of those days.

Re: Spanx and Tanning

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about the Spanx, but if you aren't completely against it, you could try the tanning bed.  I burn really quickly outside, but I never burned in the tanning bed.  Just test it out at a low time a good bit before your wedding just in case you do burn.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about getting a very light spraytan done professionally? Enough to give you a touch of color/glow, but not enough that you don't look like yourself. Having it done professionally may cost you a little more than a lotion, but you run a much lower risk of it coming out blotchy/streaky/Oompa Loompa orange.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you get splotchy, I would test out spray tanning.  It has come a long way.  You will not look orange.

I love my spanx.  I have the butt and thigh ones.   
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm totally getting Spanx too!

My FSIL uses the Clarins lotions to get a little color. I would have never guessed. And I'm pretty sure she has fairly sensitive skin.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and the Jergens lotion works really well, as long as you put it on evenly and don't go overboard.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohh, I might try out the professional spray tanning - how did I not think of that?  I guess that's something I can try out now to see if it works and how long it lasts.  I figure I need to start trying out a few different options so I have time to find the one that really works and looks good.

As far as a tanning bed, I haven't went tanning in at least 8 years... My sensitive skin issue is a fairly new thing (within the last 3-4 years) so I haven't tried to see what would happen in a tanning bed...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The thing with tanning lotions is that it's SO hard to get it on evenly and every where.. I mean...where do you stop? All I really care about is my arms and shoulders but I'd look like a nutcase if that's all I did LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Spanx- I’ve been thinking about splurging on a pair for myself. I’ve heard from numerous people that they are worth their weight in gold and worth the higher price. Once I can spare come extra income I plan on trying some on.

Tanning- Like Narwhal said, you might want to try a tanning bed. I knew a girl who would turn red every time she was outside. Once she started tanning, it built up her tolerance to the sun. Try going for a very short time (5-6 minutes)and see how it goes. The person working would probably be able to advise you on a correct time based on their beds and such. Every time I use sunless tanners at home I always end up orange and streaky but I think I’m just incapable to putting it on right. I’ve heard good things about Jergen’s Natural Glow (?) and I have it but have never used it longer than a day or so in a row. My cousin said her friend had a great looking “tan” using it. You could always do a spray tan too or mystic tan, I’ve had good results with that. One word of advice: Do Mystic Tan the day before you do anything. You can’t shower 4 hours after getting one and by hour 4 it looks like you rolled in dirt but after you shower you’ll have a good tan from it.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my Spanx at Dillard's. I think it was $70 or something for the mid-thigh shaper that has loops so you can attach your own bra if you want. So, I mean, obviously it goes from mid-thigh to just under my bustline.

They're awesome and actually COMFORTABLE (unlike the knock-off brands).

I can put it on under my strapless, long-line bra and it doesn't roll down or bunch or cut into my thighs. Very awesome.

As far as tanning goes: you have plenty of time. If I were you, I'd start wearing SPF one-million every day, as if you're naked without it (I've been wearing SPF 30 on my arms, chest, and face since December). That will help avoid getting worse tanlines.

If your farmer's tan doesn't fade enough, you might look into airbrush tanning. I can ask my makeup/hairstylist how much she normally charges. She's awesome and does all that kind of stuff.

I'd stay away from trying to correct the lines yourself. If you didn't have lines, I'd say go for a self-tanner and just be careful. However, I just don't think you'd get a good color match trying to correct your lines from a bottle. I think airbrush is the way to go. It lasts like a week, I think. So you could get it done before you leave and you should be good to go!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOAH- Sorry for big letters, I dont know where that came from, LOL
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I usually used Jergens all over.  It's pretty good at not being streaky, but it does kind of "clump" with the color on dry areas (like your ankles) and WASH YOUR HANDS so well after you use it. Or they will turn orange.  If they do, just use some fingernail polish remover.

But don't start before a week or two before the wedding.  Its better to not exfoliate (including a body wash puff) when you're using it, because it will cause it to get uneven, especially if you've used it too long.  The bottle says to use it once a day, but I usually use it twice a day to speed stuff up a bit.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I've always heard great things about Spanx too - I've never heard a single person complain about the price after they've gotten it.  I'm looking at getting the full slip for my dress

And this one was on QVC and I think I fell in love with it... It is a shaper but allows you to wear your regular bra without it giving that smooshing effect on your chest..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The strapless one would be perfect with your dress. You could stand a little smooshing fo that!

I also love that open-bust one. I may eventually expand my Spanx collection. The brand is seriously the best I've tried, and I've had lots of generic body shapers over the years.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Jeana - Ah, that would be awesome if you could check with your person and see how much it is.  I definitely want to try it out beforehand and see how it goes (I don't mind the splurge and it'll be fun to have a tan for a week LOL). 

I was totally doing the opposite of what you said... I went fishing on Saturday and put on 10 SPF tanning lotion, thinking I could fix my lines - but you're right, I need to wear like 110 SPF so I can stop getting all these weird tan lines, because after this weekend I look even worse than I did before - ugh!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Gaaaahhhhh.... too funny Jeana.   I guess your right that I could use the smooshing effect.
  • Options
    zaneopalzaneopal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little anti-tanning bed, to be honest, and I would give the spray tanning a try. Definitely do a trial run beforehand (like maybe early this summer).

Though I've heard rumors that the spray tan can rub off on your dress? Can someone verify this? If that's the case, I would get it done a day or two before you all elope.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mutley, I found these Spanx for you...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    zane - I'm not a big fan of tanning beds either... So, if possible, I'd like to steer clear of them.  I was wondering the same thing too about the spray tans - if it would rub off...  I guess when I have my test run I'll be sure to wear something white and see what happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, spray tans can rub off on your dress, but i think its if you get it done like the day before.

I remember one girl had a spray tan before prom and she had orange handprints all over her white dress.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I don't think you should do a spray tan the day of your wedding or anything. I'll ask the professional and get back to you on that.

Cool
    Anniversary
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't wear your spanz while tanning. Whoa tanlines.

No I don't know, I've never used either. I was thinking about getting a spanx for my tummy, but I'm kind waiting to see what the dress does on its own. I don't even have a bra for it yet. I personally will be doing some light fake and bake so I don't get torched on my honeymoon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...well I definitely won't be getting it done the day before - It would actually probably be at least 2-3 days before the wedding.  We plan on flying out that Sunday and the wedding is planned for either that Tuesday or Wednesday (we don't have anything set in stone yet).  I wonder if that will be too long of a wait in between getting the spray tan on Saturday?  I'm definitely going to have to talk to someone who knows about this...  Maybe I will have to resort to trying out the tanning bed...

Oh and thanks for the tip hetshup - I might have worn my spanx while tanning. Hah.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought this one from Target...

http://www.loveassets.com/pls/enetrixp/!stmenu_template.main?complex_id_in=3540153.3545195.3545195.3763776.cat

It's from the assets line by spanx and I've only tried it on so far so I can't say how comfortable it will be wearing all day/night but it definitely made me look and feel better.  I'm thin and in pretty good shape but some dresses and things just show everything and this made my body line smoother and me feel sexier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jeter, I emailed my person about pricing. I'll let you know what I hear!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and tanning wise I definitely would recommend wearing sunscreen all the time and  checking out the spray tan.  I've never had it personally but I know a few who have or do on a regular basis and love it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you get a spray tan on Saturday, you will still be good for your wedding.  It will generally last about a week. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jeter, that reminds me-- make sure your photographer takes tons of pics... because I am going to elope vicariously through you. LOL
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    dwest - Thanks for the link - I wasn't aware that she had another line that's carried at target - that's good to know!

Jeana - Thanks for e-mailing her - you're the best!  haha, and yes, I plan on having plenty of pictures so you can all droll over my elopement! 

Mutley - Awesome!  Good to know..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO.  I just saw the Spanx you posted for me.  Scary, yet I am intrigued.  I am going to have to get extra strength spanx after Mr. Man is born.  One of my best friends from grad school is getting married in October.  I think the 23rd is a very popular date!    

And ditto, Jeana.  I think we will all be vicariously eloping with you. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mutley - Hah, they are interesting aren't they...

A close friend of mine got Spanx right after she had her first baby and the before and after was AMAZING - when she put them on (not even a week or two after delivery) it looked like she had never been pregnant!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards