Chit Chat
Options

Bridal Procession song

I am not a fan of the traditional bridal procession song, I would like to walk down the isle to something a little more my style. My fiance and I are big country music fans and I think the song "Hell on the Heart" by Eric Church, fits us really well. I am not sure if this is a little to much though. We are having an outside wedding so we can do whatever we want, no rules. Is it okay to use a song with words or do I have do use and instumental? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Re: Bridal Procession song

• Options
    I tend to prefer instrumentals because they're easier to fade in and out (because it's very unlikely that you'll use the whole song) without it being too obvious.  If you decide to go with a version with lyrics, be sure to set aside time at your rehearsal to figure out the timing and to get the song cued up properly.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I think this trend is becoming more popular.  I think as aerin pointed out, you will probably need to cut part of the song and fade it out.  Also, the pace of the song is a little fast, so remember to walk slowly down the aisle.  Oh! And remember to hold your bouquet at your navel so it doesn't cover your bodice in the pics.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I tend to like the instrumental as well. Especially, if you are worried the lyrics might be a bit much (I'm not familiar with the song).

I am considering "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen, the lyrics aren't that up lifting so I would just have guitar solo b/c I think the instrumental to it is incredible. I'm not sure if I would use it for the my processional or the wedding party one, though.
  • Options
    Lori:  I adore Hallelujah.  I think it's a stunning piece of music and incredibly moving as well. 

Having said that, it's very, very "one note" throughout:  in fact, there are really only 2 notes in the first 8 bars.   I'm not sure it's as inspiring without the lyrics.  Try listening to an instrumental version of it a couple of times.  The musician in me loves the piece because it's a great marriage of text and music.  Without the text:  less great.

OP:  Just because it's a pet peeve of mine:  you're walking down an aisle, not an isle (which is a land mass surrounded by water.)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    We used Honor Thy Mother Earth by Wayra, instrumental with flutes and drums. I think words can be a little too much depending on the song, but it works for some. Personally I prefer instrumentals because as both a bride and guest, words distract me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bridal-procession-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0391fc84-04f1-4bc8-9f99-014c6564b236Post:6213f7bf-d6bd-468a-aa47-d05753126efd">Re: Bridal Procession song</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lori:  I adore Hallelujah.  I think it's a stunning piece of music and incredibly moving as well.  Having said that, it's very, very "one note" throughout:  in fact, there are really only 2 notes in the first 8 bars.   I'm not sure it's as inspiring without the lyrics.  Try listening to an instrumental version of it a couple of times.  The musician in me loves the piece because it's a great marriage of text and music.  Without the text:  less great. OP:  Just because it's a pet peeve of mine:  you're walking down an aisle, not an isle (which is a land mass surrounded by water.)
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't listend to an instrumental yet. It was just a thought I had. I have always been a dancer and have seen some amazing choreography to it, so I guess I automatically assumed it would work for a processional as well.
  • Options
    My fi and I also love country I was thinking of walking down the aisle to American Honey, I love that song. I think that if you like it then you should do it, it's your wedding and no one will really be paying attention to the lyrics they will be watching you!
    TTC since April 2012
    BFP #1 9/26/12 EDD 6/7/13 MC at 5w2d on 10/6/12
    BFP #2 1/18/13 EDD 9/29/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

My Blog
  • Options
    I'm walking to "The Very Thought of You" by Nat King Cole.  I've always wanted a pretty old-school song to walk to.  My WP is walking to "When I Fall in Love" also by Nat King Cole (didn't do it on purpose - they just happen to be the 2 songs I liked the best.)  Our recessional will be "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Dean Martin.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you like more modern music, there is a great band, Vitamin String Quartet, that does instrumental covers of popular songs. That's what we are using for all of our ceremony music, except for our recessional which is Louis Armstrong's "A Kiss to Build a Dream On".
  • Options
    I am planning on walking down the aisle to My Girl. I have already worked  out the timing, and there will be a band playing it so they can figure out a way to end it "gracefully".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I walked down the aisle to the hymn "Be Thou My Vision", sung by a solo cantor.  It worked beautifully.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards