Chit Chat
Options

FB wedding statuses...

So today marks 30 days out from our big day, and although I usually do my best to avoid writing FB statuses that are wedding related-I could just not help myself!  I definitely should have rethought this a second time.  A girl I used to go to Cosmetology school with (and haven't really spoken to since) had to do the whole "I better get an invite!" bit.  Well, great.  there are only two girls from school I am inviting and they are two of my best friends.  Our guest list is closed.  We are NOT inviting anyone else.  So now, thanks to my moment of weakness, I get to deal with telling her our guest list is full.  Anyone else do stupid things out of excitement?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: FB wedding statuses...

• Options
    I don't think you were wrong for posting how excited you are. It's not like you've been posting daily updates.

I would just ignore her comment since it wasn't a question. She'll realize she wasn't invited when she doesn't get an invitation. If you tell her you're at capacity or at budget or something like that, she might try to come up with things like, "I'll pay for my plate," or, "Let me know if you have any room after people decline."
  • Options
    When people say that on my facebook i just delete the status and act like I never saw it. If they have to nerve to ask again they are very rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just ignore it and be more cautious next time about FB statues ;o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Even though everyone says it's a good idea to keep wedding stuff off of FB, most of my newly engaged and soon to be married "friends" on facebook have wedding stuff up all the time and to be honest I sort of like it.  I've taken plenty of opportunities to reach out to those friends I have on facebook (that I don't talk to outside of FB) to ask about vendor recommendations and it's been really helpful on getting information when I see the "I found my photographer/dj/venue/florist etc" posts.  I'm not friends with these people in real life and would never expect a wedding invite just because they put something up on FB.  But, some people are rude and will post comments about getting an invite, etc.  And OP since you are only 30 days out I would assume this girl realizes by now she's not invited, and if she was invited it would be a b-list invite (but maybe she doesn't care?) so i don't see anything wrong with posting something on FB.........it would be a different story if you had a year or more to go or something like that and putting up stuff about your wedding.
  • Options
    Just ignore her comment. Its not wrong of you to say how excited you are, its rude of her to invite herself. I wouldnt bring it up that the guest list is full, just ignore it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fb-wedding-statuses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:329f7db4-3061-4b43-be1a-06b3e7a61d3aPost:22686fe7-c3bd-4a05-a1c5-294abc04831d">Re: FB wedding statuses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to FB wedding statuses... : You're a nicer person than I am. Inviting yourself to someone's wedding over facebook is hella rude. I'd ignore them. Why should you have to feel uncomfortable because they have bad manners?
    Posted by HoorayForSoup[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'd ignore it.. She may not have been serious....
  • Options
    I'd ignore it. When my husband and I got our marriage license about a week before we got married, I posted a beaming photo of us holding it on facebook with the "one more week!" countdown. That was about the only thing I posted in our whole engagement- no bridesmaid dresses or engagement pics or DIY projects; I don't have any problem with anyone who does but in my opinion, it's to each their own, which I think works in this scenario, too.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fb-wedding-statuses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:329f7db4-3061-4b43-be1a-06b3e7a61d3aPost:d4c4071e-d984-4ed1-960c-67050d8c4b90">Re: FB wedding statuses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd ignore it. <strong>When my husband and I got our marriage license about a week before we got married, I posted a beaming photo of us holding it on facebook</strong> with the "one more week!" countdown. That was about the only thing I posted in our whole engagement- no bridesmaid dresses or engagement pics or DIY projects; I don't have any problem with anyone who does but in my opinion, it's to each their own, which I think works in this scenario, too.
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]

Glad to know we weren't the only ones who did this when we got our marriage license last week. :)

I think there's nothing wrong with excited posts every once in a while, as long as they're not open-ended or implying that certain people are or aren't invited. "30 days to go!" or "We just got our marriage license!" type of stuff doesn't bother me, as long as it's kept to somewhat of a minimum.

I had a friend get married earlier this summer and post constant annoying facebook statuses such as, "What songs do you HAVE to hear at our wedding? We're meeting with the DJ in a few hours!" and "What kind of candy do you guys want for the candy bar?" One of our mutual friends (who, like me, was not invited) was so tempted to say, "There better be Twizzlers!" just to see if the bride would feel obligated to mention that not everyone was invited. I talked to several people who found this girl's postings to be beyond obnoxious.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fb-wedding-statuses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:329f7db4-3061-4b43-be1a-06b3e7a61d3aPost:76ca8917-3521-4c65-a5b3-eec6aef8a8ee">Re: FB wedding statuses...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FB wedding statuses... : Glad to know we weren't the only ones who did this when we got our marriage license last week. :) I think there's nothing wrong with excited posts every once in a while, as long as they're not open-ended or implying that certain people are or aren't invited. "30 days to go!" or "We just got our marriage license!" type of stuff doesn't bother me, as long as it's kept to somewhat of a minimum. I had a friend get married earlier this summer and post constant annoying facebook statuses such as, "What songs do you HAVE to hear at our wedding? We're meeting with the DJ in a few hours!" and "What kind of candy do you guys want for the candy bar?" One of our mutual friends (who, like me, was not invited) was so tempted to say, "There better be Twizzlers!" just to see if the bride would feel obligated to mention that not everyone was invited. I talked to several people who found this girl's postings to be beyond obnoxious.
    Posted by Ali092011[/QUOTE]
    Wow your friend sounds very rude.  I kept fb wedding posts to a minimum and I think it was for the best.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I have posted a few things on FB about our engagement and wedding (which is not until June).  I also made a FB list that only includes people that will be invited, in the event I want to post something a little more 'in-depth', but don't want it to be shown to everyone.  Considering some of the things I have seen posted on FB though, I would say you are VERY restrained.  :-)  

I would ignore the comment as well.  And if she makes more posts, I would delete her.  I agree with PP's.  It is very rude to invite yourself to anything and you don't owe her an explanation. 
  • Options
    I would definitely just ignore it, Im in a sorority and every girl I have been in with seems to think theyre invited which that alone would be over 200 girls not happening. I just ignore it if I can or laugh and say its a small wedding to hint that not everyone will be invited.

Garden I love the suggestion of making a facebook list of wedding guests thats such a good idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FB is a place where everyone can see what you write unless you block certain people from seeing it or you're private, so yes, you should be cautious about what you write... however it is your FB page so you can write what you want and people need to realise that. I don't post wedding specifics on FB just b/c I really don't think all 600 friends need to know where and when my wedding is.

if you do post something, be prepared for all types of comments. Most people are nice and well-mannered, but some are not. When you post things for the world to see, you leave yourself open for all kinds of people to come in.

Just ignore it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards