Chit Chat
Options

I'm so sick of being in a bad mood (very long)

I will be perfectly honest, I need to vent. There are so many things I can't say to those closest to me because it might hurt someones feelings, or someone might just give me a blunt response that isn't even applicable let alone rationale. So I have been waking up the past 3 weeks annoyed. I feel myself being short with everyone and just aggravated and irritated. And since I don't have anyone to just lay it all out to as honestly as I want to, I'm enlisting the ears of all of you knotties to aid in reclaiming my sanity.

Right now is a very stressful time for me, I am in my last semester of school with two of the most difficult classes that I had been putting off out of fear of taking them, FI and I are looking for a house and we are planning our wedding and I am acting as my sis's MOH. Each one of these stresses goes so much farther beyond that simple paragraph and while I know most of you wont take the time to read this I just need to get it all out. 

The school issue is actually the simplest of the stresses. It's just two really hard classes that I have absolutley no interest in and are not related to my major so I have been putting them off every semester and this being my last semester I haev no choice but to not only take them but take them together. I am the weird one who actually enjoys school, but this semester I absolutley hate it, I just can't wait for it to be over.

FI and I have been looking for a house for just shy of a year now. We had been renting an apartment but our choice was either renew our lease for another year minimum or get into a house. So on 1/1 we moved in with my parents and today we just finally put an offer in on a house. The problem is that our price range isn't bad but because of the cost of living in our area our options are pretty limited. I love the house we have made an offer on but I hate the area, not bad but not great, it wouldn't be so bad but so many people have made comments regarding the negative aspects of the town prior to us being interested in the house and I just can't forget them. I will be perfectly honest and it might sound snobby but when I have to give someone my address I won't be proud. I do love the house though and like FI and I keep saying, this is only a starter house, not the last stop on our real estate road. I just can't bear to look anymore though, this has been going on for almost a year, every single weekend we saw anywhere from 4-12 houses one worse off then the next. I am at the point where I don't even want to go look anymore, but would rather send FI by himself and tell him to just pick one and let me know when to move in. FI is also driving me nuts with this, he has an obsessive personality. When he gets interested in something he goes nuts with it, so him looking at houses isn't just informing our agent of what we would like to see and what our range is and some ideas or leads we have had, it is him sitting all day at work and all night at home scouring listings and almost every night doing "drive bys" of houses to see if they are even worth looking at. We have not done anything that doesn't involve house hunting in the longest time. I am sick of every time my phne rings it being him telling me to look at the listings he sent me etc. On the plus side their might be a light at the end of our tunnel. We put an offer in today on the aforementioned house but guess what? FI is still sending me listings as we speak.

FI and I are planning our wedding or I should say I am planning our wedding. He has no interest whatsoever in the details and is too busy looking at houses to check out flower ideas or favor websites etc. As he says it, "he can't multi task so don't expect him to find a house and plan a wedding its one or the other. But he likes to put up this persona for audiences that I don't let him have any say, which just annoys me. You dont have to do a song and dance that your the stereotypical male and I'm the stereotypical bride, why not just respond to people's questions in the same manner you tell me the deal, "you just want to know when to show up?" I have been begging this man to pick out a style of tuxedos for months, not even choose one just pick out a style so I can match the bridesmaid dresses in appropriate lengths depending on the formalness or casualness of the tux style, and after 5 months of me asking he finally did. I spent two weeks handmaking all of our invitations and he did not help me once and had the audacity to say when I aksed what he thought when I was all done that he "doesnt care about invitations" and "they are fine." But meanwhile I showed him my initial design and he loved it. Thanks for appreciating the effort and time I put into them. 

Since I have all my invitations done, they are sitting in a box already addressed and postage applied waiting to be put in the mail. Because my wedding is somewhat a destination and does require travel and possibly a hotel room I want to send them out earlier than normal so people have time to plan accordingly. My mom is insisting I don't send them out until my bridal shower invites go out but she refuses to even think about a shower let alone figure out invitations and mail them until she is done with my sister's bridal shower. Only problem is bridal invitations would need to go out this week in order to stick to the intended date she has and for me to send out the wedding invitations on time. I told mom that I am not holding the wedding invitations any longer than a week past my intended date and she is getting livid and saying that if i have to back up the invitations oh damn well she is now making references of my invitations not being mailed until one month prior to the wedding in order to give her ample shower planning time. 

My sis is a whole other can of worms. Sis' wedding is 3 months before mine and that cost of two weddings has already caused problems that I don't even want to reiterate. But now sis' shower is two weeks away. This is sis' 3rd marriage, for her first she a had a big shower at a venue with all the bells and whistles, plus a wedding double the budget we both currently have. For sis' second weeding she eloped and now she is planning another huge third wedding. So my mom mad ethe executive decision that sis shower would be at their house in order to save money and since her shower guest list is the size of my wedding (100 women). Well my dad loves this idea of saving money, but when it comes to my shower he refuses to let my mom book a venue and insists we have the shower at the house. Thats fine and all and I appreciate getting a shower but Ic an't help but feel slighted that sis has already had a blow out shower, a blow out wedding and now she si getting it all again, while I'm planning my first wedding (and only) and I am restricted to a much smaller udget and I don't get the falir of a shower at venue. I'm not trying to sound spoiled but this having two weddings and showers within 3 months is really giving me the short end of the stick here and it freaking sucks to be honest. I dn't honestly care what I end up with I just hate feeling slighted and that I apparently don't deserve equal of what sis got.
Sis also just found she is pregnant, this breaks my heart for personal reasons I don't even want to get into but I am happy for her. But now their is talk of throwing her a second baby shower (she has a son from her 2nd marriage). 

I'm pissed at sis currently though because she called my mom yesterday and asked to speak to her privatley (I'm the only one home with mom in the middle of the day, obviously I know its about me right off the bat). After an hour mom comes to me and asks me if I called my nephew on his birthday last week and I tell her yes first thing in the morning I spoke to him and sis for about an hour. She then asks if I called my sis' fiance on his birthday 4 months ago, I say yes but that he didn't pick up so I left him a voicemail, which he never responded too. She asks if I sent him a birthday gift I said no since sis never sent my FI a birthday gift, let alone called him. Ia ssumed we would exchange gifts next year after everybody was officially married same thing we did in regards to our Sis in law (brothers wife). Mom then asked if I sent a gift to my nephew and I said no I already told sis on nephews birthday when I called that I was going to give it to him when he came up this weekend with her since the shipping would have cost more than the gift (huge box). Sis said that was fine, no big deal. The kid turned three he isn't going to notice if my gift was missing on his actual birthday. Well according to sis I never called either nephew or her fiance on their birthdys nor sent gifts and I obviously don't care enough about them and I'm being a shitty sister. Meanwhile our brother and his wife never talks to her and only wrote on her facebook for both her fiance and son's birthday. But I'm the shitty sister. Well mom then goes and calls back sis and tells her I'm denying everything and tells her what I said and Sis says I should call her and straighten it out and to have my mom tell me that. So mom comes and tells me and I simply say, no I didn nothing wrong and I don't have a problem I'm not going to cater to her assumptions, if she thinks she has been slighted then she can call me herself and iscuss it with me and not our mom. So of course mom runs back and tells sis and then tells me to keep my phone handy because sis is going to call me. Well guess what sis never called and now after all this back and forthing and referring my mom is "out of it." Sorry but you were the one to inform their was a problem and to insist I do something about it so no you are by nomean not involved you are very involved. 

So to sum it all up I have woken up every monring for about 3 weeks now in a shitty mood because everything is just not moving along and I'm frustrated. I can't wait for the honeymoon and to just have a break and be without a computer so FI can't look at listings anymore. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I'm so sick of being in a bad mood (very long)

• Options
    Ok so I didn't read everything, I admit. I skimmed. 

Issue with your FI- it seems like you guys have mismatched ideas about the wedding/your future. He clearly values having a home more than what the invitations look like...and in the long run, he's right: a house does matter more. I know you know that, you just feel unappreciated because he doesn't realize the work you've put in. 

I think you just have to accept that he is a guy, and a lot of guys don't care about wedding details and not take it personally. A lot of brides plan their own weddings almost entirely alone (me), so it's not like you're all alone and every bride has more help than you from moms, BMs, etc. The wedding industry wants you to think that. My FI doesn't take notice the little things I do either. Have you told him how his comments makes you feel? 

On the flip side, I'd wager he feels like you care more about "frivolous" details than owning a home. Y'all should have a convo about this, if you have not already. 

And you're sister is being dumb about the gift issue. Gifts are never required. She was rude to call and inquire about whether or not you sent one, period. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    Wow you werent kidding that is Long

My suggestion.

Take a week break from house and wedding stuff. Go out on a date with your man and dont talk about anything house or wedding all evening! Just go out and have fun together.
  • Options
    Wow, I actually did read that all. My eyes hurt. There is a whole lot going on there. Regarding your parents spending more on your sister than you, you just have to deal with it. Perhaps they they weren't as prudent with their money the first time around because didn't plan for your sis to get remarried & to have to pay again. Really, be happy that someone is helping you pay. Not everyone gets that at all, regardless of siblings. 

Your FI is a problem. He needs to calm down. You need to sit him down and calmly and rationally explain to him what his behavior is doing to you. Perhaps work out a deal that he can show you what listings he found once at the end of the day or the end of the week? That way it's more controlled? We encountered some of this also in our apartment hunt. My FI kept sending me things all day & then text me to find out why I haven't replied. I kindly explained that while I am interested, I was unable to look at the moment, but would when I could.

If you really don't like this house, then don't buy it. Which is worse: being slightly miserable in an apartment for 1 year because it's not the house of your dreams, or being really miserable in a home that you now have a mortgage for, but still isn't the house of your dreams. You know how the housing market is. It's not easy to sell. Do you really want to jump in somewhere & then it be worse to sell it later when you're miserable? 

Perhaps take a break from the househunting & concentrate on the wedding and on improving your relationship. I hope it all works out.
  • Options
    Wow, I just read all of that.

You have a lot going on, and a lot of different things causing stressors.

Your fiance is just being a guy.  It would be great if he was more involved with the wedding, but if he doesn't want to be you can't force him.  I would ask him his opinion on things once and if he doesn't care make the decision yourself and move on.  I would ask if if there is anything (ie decorations, food, etc) that he is dead set on having for the wedding.

You do sound like you are being snobby about the house, but if you aren't going to be happy in that neighborhood, then keep looking.  Have you told your fiance you don't like the neighborhood and you don't think you would be happy there?  I know how hard it can be trying to find a home in a area where the cost of living is so high (I'm in DC housing is ridiculous), but I would not buy a home in a neighborhood I did not see myself being ok with living in for a while and potentially raising a family in.  You say it's a starter home but things happen, it may be a long time before you are actually able to afford to move.

As far as your sister, you can't be jealous of what her past weddings were like in comparision to yours.  If you want a wedding with all the glitz and glam then pay for your own wedding.  I get the impression your parents are paying for the wedding, so if they only want to put so much money down, that is their choice. 

Your sister does sound like she is being petty when it comes to how she thinks ya'll are treating each other. 

You sound like you need a break and you need to relax. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I did read all of that!

Regarding your FI - He is extremely involved in finding a home because that is extremely important. I'm not saying getting married and what you're doing for the wedding isn't as important, but having a place to live (before or) after marriage is a very big deal. I know when FI and I were looking for a home all he did was look online and in the paper for places to live. We literally lived and breathed it every day for months, and like you, I got frustrated because that's all we would do. But now, since we found a home last year, I understand why he was the way he was. It's just very important. Also, if you don't like the neighborhood, discuss it with him. He might not realize you don't feel comfortable, or would feel ashamed if you lived there. I understand you're tired of looking, and it is a starter house, but if you don't like it you deserve to have a decision in it too since you will be living there. If you are okay with it, then you guys can discontinue looking. It's ultimately up to the two of you. 
    Also, I understand you aren't feeling appreciated. Talk with your FI about it. Tell him you're feeling like you put all this work into something without getting a simple "that's beautiful" or "I love that! It'll work perfectly".  Have an open and honest conversation about your feelings. Maybe some of his feelings will come out too.

Regarding your parents- I understand you're feeling like your parents aren't giving you the shower you want, and it isn't fair because your sister has had one three times. Have a discussion with your mom (and dad). Sit her down and tell her how you feel regarding this situation. Tell her that you understand that she wants to save money, but it does hurt your feelings because your sister has had showers. It is completely understandable why you feel that way. Just make known your feelings. It will probably make you feel better.

Regarding your mom and sister- Although your sister was in the wrong about the gift situation, you have to remember that she is probably under a lot of stress (just like you). She has a three year old toddler, she is pregnant again (which can cause mood changes), and she is planning a wedding all at the same time. She has a lot on her plate. I'm not saying she was right for being rude and saying you didn't say "happy birthday" or give any presents, and dragging your mom into the situation (because she should have come to you first), but she probably is under stress too. So, again, if you want to, discuss it with her. Let her know that she made you feel bad for first talking about you to your mom in "secret" and then accusing you of something. 

So, my advice to you about all of these situations is to address your feelings to everyone. I know it is difficult to say "you upset me" or "you hurt my feelings", but trust me, once it's out in the open, you can begin to move on from all of those feelings and you will feel much better. 

I hope you start waking up feeling better sometime soon and I hope this helps! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    I skimmed A LOT. Just wanted to let you know your wedding will be amazing no matter what. My fiance did not understand when we got engaged that I wanted a FULL year of engagement so I could enjoy parties, tastings, and wearing cute BRIDE items. Everytime I mention wedding he says vegas would be great and laughs. Point is men dont care, understand, and will do bare minimum to help. (MOST MEN). All they want is to see you look pretty, happy, and have a sick honeymoon.
  • Options
    First off: you need a break. When is Spring Break? LOL (laugh a little, you are going through what should be 3 major joys in life: about to graduate college, getting married and buying a house.) Take a step back and look at all you have and be appreciative. Not sayng you're not, but for me when I get stressed and start to think 'poor me', I need to take a step back, look at my life and be thankful for all that I have.

FI issues: he is trying to find a house... ahuge deal. I bet he cares about the wedding but as many guys think, they feel the bride would be better at habdling the wedding stuff because we are better at fine details. We usually know what we want and weddings tend to be more for the bride anyway. Have fun with it. I know FI cares alot about us getting married but he would be happy going to the courthouse. He is having a wedding because he knows I want a wedding so I handle the majority of the details and make the majority of the decisions. I have 3 kids, am a sahm but I love to plan parties and have a lot of downtime so I am having fun. Try to understand his standpoint but also have a talk. Take a week off househunting and re-connect. You need it. 

Sister issues: I would have called her back and talked it out with her. She seems petty and childish but just to clear the air so there are no hard feelings, remind her you did call and what you said. 

Mom issues: I understand how you feel. I would feel the same way too: it's not fair she got her dream shower and wedding 2x while you are getting second best for the fist time. But that is life. ust be thankful your parents are helping out at all: my family ahs not offered squat, neither had FI's family (alhtough FI's dad has helped us out more ways than one in other areas). We just grin and bear it...after all it is OUR wedding so we need to pay for it. 

And have fun... don't forget to smile. Even lol for no reason a few times a day. are fun times, they shoud not be so stressfull (well, except for school).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    My advice is to by a BB gun and find a shooting range- it's an AMAZING stress reliever! JK!

I agree with Lucy. She's made some really valid points in all of her sections. I'm going to add to the sister situation though. It seems like she's the kind of girl that *needs* to be in the spot light. (If I remember from a previous post she got engaged *just* after you did and her FI said something to your FI about "giving him lessons".) Let her have her spot light for now, because in just about 4 months it will be all yours.
  • Options
    I read the whole thing.

It sounds like you have a lot going on.  I don't know your age, but you sound young and you have all the time in the world to deal with this. If it's overwhelming, why not put something off for a little while? Either the house or the wedding, or both?

If you've got a timeline and need to do the wedding and house at the same time, then it sounds like you've got a pretty equitable division of responsibilities.  He cares more about the house, so he's putting more effort into it. You care more about the wedding, so you're putting more effort into the details. It seems like fair game to me!

You do sound like a bit of a house snob, but with the cost of housing today I think everyone deserves to be.  Remember that there is no shame in renting until you find something you love. The right house will come along eventually, you don't have to settle for something in a bad area.

As for your sister, back off. Nothing she does is any of your business - don't let your mom get involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards