Chit Chat
Options

Sigh... FI did nothing for my bday today minvent.

I don't plan on telling anyone this so I thought I'd get it off my chest here. I was really looking forward to my birthday today this year because it was the first time in FOUR years that my fianc was going to actually be around not out of town for work for my birthday. We live together on the opposite side of the country from where my parents live, so it's not like anyone else is around for me... so, I sort of worked myself up to expecting to actually get something or do something this year. Last night we went out to dinner with some of his friends which was nice but we also normally do this almost every weekend anyway. And... today, nothing. No gift, no activity, no special meal, nothing special... not even a card. It was like a normal weekend day, only filled with stupid questions like "what do you want to do today?" and "did you have a good birthday?" It's not like FI is clueless on what I like either... we've lived together for 2.5 years. And I guess I'm also a little upset because I always pull out the stops for his birthday make surprising plans and give him a really cool "wow" gift that he's been wanting over the past year. Last year it was a really special fishing kayak. I wasn't expecting a tit for tat, but I also wasn't expecting this. I realize it's my fault for having these expectations. The disappointment from today has me looking forward to Monday morning! End of vent.

Re: Sigh... FI did nothing for my bday today minvent.

• Options
    I can understand your situation (because goodness knows I fall for that mentality once in awhile...) but men are simple beings. They don't understand our inexplicable desire for spontanaeity and romance on special (or for whatever occassion) days.

I've personally learned to just be straightforward about it. It's my birthday? I will flat out tell FI what I want to do that day -- or give him options of what I want to do and he can decide what he'd like to "sponsor". Same thing with gifts. When he DOES do something sweet and spontaneous (like, say, bringing home a bouquet of flowers for no reason) I am over the moon happy -- and I'm sure to let him know. Maybe that way he'll learn to do it more often! :D

Anyway, I get your disappointment. But, it is just a birthday. If nothing else, enjoy the time you were able to spend with your loved one -- even if it was just sitting around the house!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Happy Birthday!!! I'm sorry your Fi didn't do anything for you today. Maybe he has something planned for another time. To me it seems weird that he asked if you had a good birthday when he did nothing at all. Does he usually get you something or haveing something planned for your birthday? 
    Wedding1_zps3487cad4 wedding10_zps74fded34
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Sigh... FI did nothing for my bday today minvent.:[QUOTE]I can understand your situation because goodness knows I fall for that mentality once in awhile... but men are simple beings. They don't understand our inexplicable desire for spontanaeity and romance on special or for whatever occassion days. I've personally learned to just be straightforward about it. It's my birthday? I will flat out tell FI what I want to do that day or give him options of what I want to do and he can decide what he'd like to "sponsor". Same thing with gifts. When he DOES do something sweet and spontaneous like, say, bringing home a bouquet of flowers for no reason I am over the moon happy and I'm sure to let him know. Maybe that way he'll learn to do it more often! :DAnyway, I get your disappointment. But, it is just a birthday. If nothing else, enjoy the time you were able to spend with your loved one even if it was just sitting around the house! Posted by AmJam04[/QUOTE]

Your sweeping generalization of men is pretty offensive. My H is pretty good about special occasions and even randomly bringing me flowers or a dessert home from work, etc. Not all men are "simple".

Insert new paragraph here, stupid TK mobile. OP I understand feeling disappointed. Did you talk to him at all about anything you wanted to do for your birthday? Was he aware of how you felt about it?
  • Options
    bongebonge member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sigh-fi-did-nothing-for-my-bday-today-minvent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c6a77fc1-d962-4e94-9922-09a4c5508e61Post:45ddd5f1-0b88-481b-8197-56c123c18c0d">Re: Sigh... FI did nothing for my bday today minvent.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been buying my own birthday presents for years.  Sometimes he surprises me, sometimes not.  I don't get hung up on dates and gifts. I am a cancer survivor.  Every birthday is a gift from God.  Having cancer really changed my perspective about what was really important in my life.  Yay!  I'm 61!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

It's great that you are a cancer survivor & your outlook changed but that doesn't mean birthdays shouldn't be important to other people just because they aren't to you.

I grew up with alcoholic parents & the ONLY time i ever got anything was birthdays & christmases. I did not get school supplies, clothes etc even for school most of the time so holidays are very important to me now. My fiance is not a romantic person so the only time i get anything from him as well are holidays.

I totally understand your hurt feelings op but personally i would let him know your hurt. In a calm way of course. How can he fix things in the future if he never knows they bother you?
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • Options
    This is exactly like me and my fiancé I'm in a city away from my family and friends and on his bday I plan everything to the last detail yet this year on my bday it was just another day. I began to realize its best if u don't get ur hopes up bc then it's not another let down. I am sorry about that and I hope you have. Good birthday and may your wishes come true
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sigh-fi-did-nothing-for-my-bday-today-minvent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c6a77fc1-d962-4e94-9922-09a4c5508e61Post:0a102c26-509c-46b9-a670-e8e8c6034952">Re: Sigh... FI did nothing for my bday today minvent.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI did that once.  I talked to him about it. I said it hurt my feelings and made me feel like he didn't care when he ignores special events. I told him I don't need the sun moon and sky every October but that I'd appreciate it if he made some sort of effort. It hasn't happened since. I just had to remind myself that he's not a mind reader and that if I want or need something from him, sometimes I have to tell him rather than just expecting him to know.
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]
    Kindasparkly,
       Good for you for talking things out with your fiance and it's great that it actually made a difference.  I think the OP should talk to her fiance otherwise she may have many more disappointed birthdays.

My fiance has always surprised me for my birthday and Christmas.  Jewlry, flowers, etc.  I know his dad never did any of that and I think my FI saw how much it meant to his own mother on the rare occasion it did happen.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options

Linger, I think that was completely out of line and downright rude however knowing your responses from other posts I shouldn't be surprised. I don't think that CMG was pushing her life experiences on anyone but more so expressing how she feels about her birthdays in particular, like every other post on here has done.

OP - If it's really bothering you then say something. Otherwise, I would just accept that birthdays to him are not as important as birthdays are to you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sigh-fi-did-nothing-for-my-bday-today-minvent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c6a77fc1-d962-4e94-9922-09a4c5508e61Post:8f215639-5fcb-43bc-988c-5b8c1342167d">Sigh... FI did nothing for my bday today minvent.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't plan on telling anyone this so I thought I'd get it off my chest here. I was really looking forward to my birthday today this year because it was the first time in FOUR years that my fianc was going to actually be around not out of town for work for my birthday. We live together on the opposite side of the country from where my parents live, so it's not like anyone else is around for me... so, I sort of worked myself up to expecting to actually get something or do something this year. Last night we went out to dinner with some of his friends which was nice but we also normally do this almost every weekend anyway. And... today, nothing. No gift, no activity, no special meal, nothing special... not even a card. It was like a normal weekend day, only filled with stupid questions like "what do you want to do today?" and "did you have a good birthday?" It's not like FI is clueless on what I like either... we've lived together for 2.5 years. And I guess I'm also a little upset because I always pull out the stops for his birthday make surprising plans and give him a really cool "wow" gift that he's been wanting over the past year. Last year it was a really special fishing kayak. I wasn't expecting a tit for tat, but I also wasn't expecting this. <strong>I realize it's my fault for having these expectations. The disappointment from today has me looking forward to Monday morning! End of vent.
    </strong>Posted by goobersinlove[/QUOTE]

Wow, play the martyr much?

If you want him to do special things for your birthday, open up your piehole and TELL HIM YOU WANT HIM TO DO SPECIAL THINGS FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY. Stop expecting him to be a damned mind-reader.
  • Options
    A month or week before your birthday did you say something like, "FI, I'm so excited for my birthday this year because you will be around and we can do something special."

If you know your guy and he might be the forgetful kind, then you need to put your expectations out there. Having expectations is not wrong, but not communicating them is really wrong.

I don't have to remind my guy, but I do still say things. Like this year we are moving so money is tight. I've said, "Let's still do something fun for each of our birthday's but lets keep it on the cheaper side because of the moving expenses." (Our birthdays are within a month of each other). Communication is key.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    OP, sorry you had a disappointing birthday. I would have been disappointed at that as well. I think it would be a good idea to follow the suggestions you've received to talk to your FI, let him know that the fact that he treated the day just as any other day hurt your feelings and made you feel as though he didn't care to put in the effort. There have been times in my relationship where I've had to tell FI was my hopes/expectations for something are. And once he knows how important something is to me, he is great at following through. While it would be great if he just knew what I wanted all the time, sometimes our SOs just need a little coaching from us on what we need.
  • Options
    Sorry you had a bad birthday. On that note Happy Belated Birthday! :p

I have had a few of those not so great birthdays and anniversaries that FI forgot about. But I just remember all those days throughout the year that he does do something special for me or when he makes me feel like a princess. Is there something going on in your FI's life? Stress from work that could have made him "less prepared" to throw you an awesome birthday?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

I did end up talking to him about it late last night. It didn't make me feel any better nor did I feel that we got anywhere from it, but he's aware of my feelings.

Anyway, moving on with my life now!  I can certainly appreciate all the other good things about our relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards