Chit Chat
Options

Friend needs help

Hello, I am not the bride but I very much do need help.  My best friend is getting married and she asked me to help her plan the wedding.  I have experience planning quince's and large parties so I felt fairly confidant helping (especially because she could not plan Tuesday night dinner let alone her wedding).  It has turned into me planning the whole thing which again I am thrilled to do as I love this stuff and her too.  The problem I have is her Father.  He agreed to pay for the food and drinks.  He told us "just tell me how much the check needs to be and I will sign it".  Encouraged by his generosity I showed her a venue that she fell in love with, It is not only below the budget, but the location is great, the food is great and accommodates everyone beautifully.  We literally could not find a better bang for, well his buck.  When the price was relayed to daddy dearest he was not happy at all.  I tried explaining to him how economical it was, and that this was literally the cheapest place.   He has since decided that he is only paying for buffet and cash bar!  I did research to appease him (venue strangely does not accommodate either), maybe we could find a comprise.  All buffet options are more expensive.!  And my bride is so not happy about cash bar.

How do I say "calm down, you are being unreasonable and throwing temper tantrums like a 3 year old when I am the one making sure your not paying out your behind for this thing?" but in a sweet professional way.

Also need cheap ceremony site that can be rented for literally an hour in ft lauderdale.  Thank you!

Re: Friend needs help

• Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I think you  need to remove yourself from this situation.

Your friend needs to discuss with her father how they want to proceed.  If the father only wants to pay for certain things, that is his right.  However, it's the daughter's obligation to step up and pay the difference if this venue is what she wants.  Alternatively, father needs to set a budget and you need to get back to work finding something that fits this budget.

However, I don't think it's appropriate for you to be involved in these financial negotiations.
  • Options
    jenncaejenncae member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Cash bar is each guest pays for their own alcohol.  But dad does not want to pay for a drop not even water.
    you are right! I have to tell my bride to stop being scared of dad and confront him herself and let them figure it out.  I think he is trying to bypass her.  As he emailed me himself and she found out from me.  i do feel like he is sort of my dad. but at the end of the day, he is not and he is paying for her wedding so she needs to do this.  Thanks guys! you are great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards