Chit Chat
Options

Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe

Hey, I have something that has been bothering me since my friend's wedding last weekend. 

She asked me to be her personal attendant, and while at first I was flattered, I began to realize that the role seemed more like a "I want you to be a part of my day so that you can do all the stuff nobody else wants to do".  Sorry, but this girl also had 5 bridesmaids and I just thought that the role was a little overmuch.  Anyway, as her special day got closer the more resentful I became because she kept saying one thing and then saying another thing later.  For instance, she said she wanted me to be in her bridal party dance, then said "I didn't need to" then said she wanted me to be up there for the bridesmaids special dance, then said "I didn't need to."  Not to mention, the resentment started when she asked me to put on her bachelorette and I ended up forking over $300 because her MOH/sister didn't want to do it!!!  Anyway, that is obviously petty, but like I said I was resentful.  Anyhow, her wedding weekend arrived...

We went to the rehearsal dinner and everything was fine and a bunch of us went to a bar afterwards, everything was also great and we all had a blast (more so than the actual wedding reception!).  She had told me earlier in the evening she wanted me at the church around 2:00 to help with the final touches....and also that she wanted me to join her and the bridesmaids for a brunch at 10:00 where she would get us Starbucks coffee and muffins. Sounds great and easy...right?!  So anyway, Saturday morning arrives and I am about to hop in the shower to get ready for the brunch when I get a missed call from the bride so I call her back.  She says that the plans had changed and that the bridesmaids and her were going to a nearby diner instead and that "could I just go ahead and take advantage of my continental breakfast at my hotel and that she would buy me a coffee at the diner while everyone else ate." Sorry, folks but that put me over the edge.  The way I see it is here is this bridezilla expecting me to wait on her hand and foot all day and then she has the nerve to ask me to take care of myself while she provides breakfast for her bridesmaids!...it's not even a cost issue, because had she mentioned nothing about buying everyone else's and just asking if I would come to the diner, I would have probably offered to pay my own way anyway...she just basically told me to take care of myself.  I just told her to go ahead with the girls and I would catch up later at the church or hotel (since my hotel was in a different location from hers and the adjoining diner).  

So 2:00 comes and I call to see if she is still getting ready at the hotel (of course she is cause she is never on time!) so I go to the hotel. Finally, an hour later the bride is ready and she tells me to go with her to the church to help put on her dress.  We go and everything is a bit tense because the hour that I was in the hotel waiting for her and the other bridesmaids to get ready she kept acting completely frantic (understandably so...to anextent) and was dropping hints on how her family and friends and bridesmaids had been running around crazy all day doing stuff for her.  I feel bad because all these people were busting their ass all day, but at the same time I feel like I have been treated like a second-class citizen this whole time.  Plus, I figured she should have been much more organized because her bags were all a hot mess and she couldn't find a thing....plus, I am sure many of the last minute things could have been avoided if she wasn't competely unorganized! Anyway, after the wedding she didn't talk to me at all including the bridal party ride to the reception and at the reception.... and I kind of avoided her cause I was definitely getting the vibe that she was pissed at me.

Should I feel guilty for not being more helpful throughout the day or was I justified in only helping from 2:00 on (where at the church I helped whereever I was needed)? I told her to call if she needed anything and she never did...and sorry, I don't have ESP, unfortunately.   

I'm just am not looking forward to seeing her this next weekend (local town event and she and her hubby are back from their honeymoon).  For background knowledge, we are relatively new friends and our relationship was growing but now I really just don't want to have anything to do with her.  The only reason I know her is because she married my old roommate and while she was being a complete bridezilla he was being thankful and kind.  

Let me know your thoughts cause this is really bothering me!

Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe

• Options
    I don't blame you for feeling used and upset.  A personal attendant is basically the brides' b*tch for the day, and isn't considered an honor or a special position.  They also aren't looked at favorably upon on these boards.  It sounds like she basically wanted a Day of Coordinator, which is a position you hire someone for, and pay them accordingly. 

If I were you, unless the bride offers a major apology, I would write off the friendship and let it go.  I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who treated me so rudely and callously.
  • Options
    I think it was nice of you to even accept to do that for someone you don't know all that well. Generally, the BMs and MOH are the ones who help the bride. I don't understand why some insist on their own personal attendant.

If she doesn't apologize, or she doesn't talk to you, I would just let it be and move on. Clearly, she is not the type of person you want to be friends with if she can't even tell you she appreciated you helping her.
  • Options
    Stick around.  We could use your first hand account every time someone asks about having her own personal b*tch ...oops, I mean personal attendant....

You weren't out of line.  If it were me, I'd seriously consider sending her a bill for your services for the day.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I've never even heard of this ridiculous position.  It was  gracious of you to do all that you did for her.  I wouldn't want to maintain this friendship so if I were you I'd move on and transition toward acquaintances.
  • Options
    I wouldn't stay friends wit this B either.  She did a crazy amount of b-zilla and bitchy things, and tried to take advantage of you.

At least you see her for what she really is.  Hopefully the rest of her friends do too.  

FWIW, "Personal Attendant" is known to be insulting.  If anyone asks you again or suggests asking someone else, remind them that it is seen as an insult, not an honor.
  • Options
    I've never heard of this before.  So basically, you wait on the bride hand and foot and aren't even in the wedding party?  I don't get this.  And no offense, but why would anyone agree to this "position"?  It sounds like a job for a day of coordinator that is unrelated to the bride and gets paid.
  • Options
    Before joining TK I had never heard of a personal attendant and to be honest it seems like a crap position handed to friends you don't like enough to be in your WP (no offence OP). I hired a DOC and decorator to take care of all that stuff.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_was-i-out-of-line-personal-attendant-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:db64b67a-ef2c-436b-8c1e-755eeab5ea34Post:3dd551c9-acf1-493c-b803-8dbf43659cf1">Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]You were treated really badly. Frankly, I'd re-think the friendship with this person.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to be friends with her after that. If you want to salvage the relationship, I think you should be able to openly express how you felt when all this was happening. </div>
  • Options
    Thanks you all for your replies...I definitely feel better about not being there the whole day.  I acknowledge a few things:

1) I think she asked me to be a personal attendant because she likes my style and knows I am organized.  In addition, my boyfriend was an usher and I think she maybe just wanted us to both have a role.

2) Had I known exactly what she was hoping out of me and expecting out of me in this position I would have gladly refused...except I have a hard time telling people no and have no idea how I gracefully would have refused...

3) I feel slighted because at first she asked my opinion about everything, then after asking me to put on the bachelorette, and after I forked over all that cash she just didn't want me involved anymore...except to be slave labor. Basically, I feel used and mistreated as I explained above.  

4) In all the weddings I have gone to in the Midwest I have never heard of someone hiring a Day of Coordinator or Decorator...I guess we like to save money where possible and count on our friends and family to help out...not bad unless your are a "friend" who feels taken advantage of. 

My experience with this wedding is definitely something I will remember whenever I get around to planning my own wedding...and I will never do anybody the disgrace (including Bridezilla) of asking them to be my personal attendant.  Look at the term BRIDESMAID = BRIDES + MAID.  The ladies you ask to stand with you on your wedding day should not viewed as personal slaves but as the ladies who celebrate your Wedding with you and attend where needed and as wanted.  Most people spend a year planning their wedding and I have no idea why this was so disorganized!!!! Not to mention she quit her job two weeks before the wedding and should have had plenty of time to get stuff together.

I just hope she keeps her promise and throws me a bridal shower....or something when my time comes....though she is one of the cheapest girls I know and will never fork over the $300 I wasted on her bachelorette.

Yep, I was completely taken advantage of, and I have learned my lesson along with the kind of person she is.

Like I said, thanks again for all your replies, I feel better and justified in my actions.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_was-i-out-of-line-personal-attendant-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:db64b67a-ef2c-436b-8c1e-755eeab5ea34Post:990141a1-0f00-45de-a085-090991bdf161">Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks you all for your replies...I definitely feel better about not being there the whole day.  I acknowledge a few things: 1) I think she asked me to be a personal attendant because she likes my style and knows I am organized.  In addition, my boyfriend was an usher and I think she maybe just wanted us to both have a role. 2) Had I known exactly what she was hoping out of me and expecting out of me in this position I would have gladly refused...except I have a hard time telling people no and have no idea how I gracefully would have refused... 3) I feel slighted because at first she asked my opinion about everything, then after asking me to put on the bachelorette, and after I forked over all that cash she just didn't want me involved anymore...except to be slave labor. Basically, I feel used and mistreated as I explained above.   4) In all the weddings I have gone to in the Midwest I have never heard of someone hiring a Day of Coordinator or Decorator...I guess we like to save money where possible and count on our friends and family to help out...not bad unless your are a "friend" who feels taken advantage of.  My experience with this wedding is definitely something I will remember whenever I get around to planning my own wedding...and I will never do anybody the disgrace (including Bridezilla) of asking them to be my personal attendant.  <strong>Look at the term BRIDESMAID = BRIDES + MAID</strong>.  The ladies you ask to stand with you on your wedding day should not viewed as personal slaves but as the ladies who celebrate your Wedding with you and attend where needed and as wanted.  Most people spend a year planning their wedding and I have no idea why this was so disorganized!!!! Not to mention she quit her job two weeks before the wedding and should have had plenty of time to get stuff together. I just hope she keeps her promise and throws me a bridal shower....or something when my time comes....though she is one of the cheapest girls I know and will never fork over the $300 I wasted on her bachelorette. Yep, I was completely taken advantage of, and I have learned my lesson along with the kind of person she is. Like I said, thanks again for all your replies, I feel better and justified in my actions.
    Posted by kristyklein8[/QUOTE]

FYI  Bridesmaid comes from Maiden as in the maidens of days of yore.  It does not mean Bride's b*tch either.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_was-i-out-of-line-personal-attendant-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:db64b67a-ef2c-436b-8c1e-755eeab5ea34Post:5a6ae3a2-1a89-478d-8236-2ff7fa66e828">Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe : FYI  Bridesmaid comes from Maiden as in the maidens of days of yore.  It does not mean Bride's b*tch either.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the info...didn't even think of the term Maiden but makes sense as (I believe) that bridesmaids origin came from the effort to confuse evil spirits on who the bride was by using young maidens...or something like that.</div>
  • Options
    Yikes! I had a friend of mine ask me if I had an "assistant" for the day of my wedding. When I replied No, that I didn't think it was necessary she texted back saying "Well I would like to be there for you should you need ANYTHING that day. I want to help in any way that I can so if you need an assistant or someone to help, please don't hesitate to let me know."
    So, she will be there with us getting ready and what not and she is listed in the program as the "Bride's Assistant". I had no idea this was so frowned upon.
    Although, she is much better than my bridesmaids. She calls me every few days to make sure that things are going well and to ask if I want to sit out at the pool with her and relax. She's been wonderful. Hopefully she doesn't feel the way you do about me :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_was-i-out-of-line-personal-attendant-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:db64b67a-ef2c-436b-8c1e-755eeab5ea34Post:8b95b549-6211-4cf6-ab57-156f234d6eab">Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yikes! I had a friend of mine ask me if I had an "assistant" for the day of my wedding. When I replied No, that I didn't think it was necessary she texted back saying "Well I would like to be there for you should you need ANYTHING that day. I want to help in any way that I can so if you need an assistant or someone to help, please don't hesitate to let me know." So, she will be there with us getting ready and what not and she is listed in the program as the "Bride's Assistant". I had no idea this was so frowned upon. Although, she is much better than my bridesmaids. She calls me every few days to make sure that things are going well and to ask if I want to sit out at the pool with her and relax. She's been wonderful. Hopefully she doesn't feel the way you do about me :(
    Posted by mparkes[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it is way different if your friend offers to help and take on the role instead of you asking/picking a person to assist you!  You have a very good friend and just make sure to let her know how much you appreciate all of her efforts! ...I wasn't even listed in the church program but was on Bridezillas wedding website (whatever I guess).  I think what most people appreciate most is a thank you and an acknowledgement of their efforts...I would also get her a little something when you hand out your bridal party gifts too!  Congrats on having such a good friend!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_was-i-out-of-line-personal-attendant-gripe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:db64b67a-ef2c-436b-8c1e-755eeab5ea34Post:0a63d34f-3e9f-4266-8854-e1e7aad5ed2c">Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was I out of line? Personal Attendant Gripe : I think it is way different if your friend offers to help and take on the role instead of you asking/picking a person to assist you!  You have a very good friend and just make sure to let her know how much you appreciate all of her efforts! ...I wasn't even listed in the church program but was on Bridezillas wedding website (whatever I guess).  I think what most people appreciate most is a thank you and an acknowledgement of their efforts...I would also get her a little something when you hand out your bridal party gifts too!  Congrats on having such a good friend!
    Posted by kristyklein8[/QUOTE]

I got her this SUPER cute wine class. Her name is Kelly so it has a "K" on it and its zebra print with pink rhinestones (totally her). I'm also getting her her favorite glass of wine and wrote her a thank you note that definitely made me cry lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mparkes, I had a friend offer to help me out with anything too! She is being listed in my program as a personal assistant as well...but she was not in any way treated like this! OP, you are definitely right to feel mistreated! I would never assume that my personal attendant would have anything to do with a shower or bachelorette (except attend as a guest) and mine is just going to go with us to help get ready. I love organization so hopefully I can avoid dumping all over her like yours did! I am also giving mine a gift along with the bridesmaids and including her in the luncheon and the rehearsal dinner and all of that.

I agree with you about the personal attendant thing being mid-western....everybody that I know has had one, and I've never seen one treated badly. They're included in most things--gifts, events, formal photos, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards