Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Engagement Ring??

I had a question for everyone:

I have seen pictures of other people's engagement rings in their siggys. I think they are all beautiful, but I do not desire a "traditional" engagement ring!

I love green and I am considering an emerald engagement ring. I love color and I have thought about blue sapphire, or canary color or even pink on my engagement ring.

Is this 'weird'? I have also seen rings that are cheaper because they are birthstone rings and not labeled "engagement ring". Do you think it is wrong to get one of those instead?

I am a budget bride and buying an expensive ring that is half of my budget for the wedding, just isn't me!

Any input is appreciated...
"I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement Ring??

• Options
    Not weird at all! Several of my friends have gemstone rings, and they're getting more popular all the time.
  • Options
    A diamond engagement ring is not a requirement.  An engagement ring isn't even a requirement.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I really, really wanted a green engagement ring. I wanted Tsavorite, Tourmaline or Emerald.

A friend who got married last year has a tourmaline and told me she's now looking for a sapphire because her stone is all scratched up. Another friend who got an emerald ring as a 5 year anniversary present is devastated at how scratched/chipped it is.

After talking to the jewler and other friends, we went with a blue sapphire. They're the next hardest natural stone after diamonds, and come in pretty much every color of the rainbow (although the green is more brown, sadly). If I were you, I'd look into sapphires. It's great to have a colored stone, I love mine!

• Options
    It is perfectly fine to go with another gemstone for an e-ring. And like opalsky said, it is getting more and more popular among brides.
  • Options
    Nope, not weird. I had considered blue sapphire at one point, but FI chose a diamond.. and I am happy with that. He wants to custom make a band for me with sapphires at some point. :)
  • Options
    Go with what you want, what would make you happy, what you would love.

If you browse settings of traditional (diamond) engagement rings & decide you love the ring but would like it with, for example, an emerald, a good jeweler could easily swap it out!
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kmabjokmabjo member
    First Comment

I haev seen a few rubies and saphires and yhey look beautiful. I qwould say if that is what you want, go for it!

Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No where does it say that an engagement ring must be a diamond. Any ring could actually be an engagement ring. You should get the ring that you want since you will be wearing it. I think a gem stone will make for a beautiful ring but as knittibell said just do your research because some gem stones can be softer and scratch or chip more easily than others.
  • Options
    Go with what you and your FI love.  One of my friends has a saphire and one has an aquamarine e-ring.  Both are beautiful.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I don't know pretty much anything about diamonds/stones/gems, so thanks for that info. I will have to make sure I do some research. I didn't even think about it chipping!!
    "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    knittibell, i love your ring!
  • Options
    Not weird at all. You can also go to the newly engaged forum. The first post there is a ring post with LOTS of different rings in various colors, gems, styles etc.
  • Options
    Are you getting married in August/ If you're sentimental and/or like the stone color, maybe incorporate a peridot/some periodots. Just a thought!
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a sapphire engagement ring and I love it. I was hesitant at first about it but I didn't like any diamond rings I saw. I think colored gemstone rings can be unique enough without being unusual or weird looking. Here's some pics:

From the side:

• Options
    Not weird at all ;).   When it came time for FI and I to look around at rings,  we specifically looked at sapphires.  While I love diamonds (and my birthstone), I wanted something non-traditional and that would be a bit different.

Sapphires are great b/c they are right behind diamonds on the Moh's (hardness scale) and are durable stones.  They come in so many different shades (not only blue), so look around. 

Brilliant Earth is a great place to purchase (it's online + they only sell conflict free diamonds).  I see you are in Indiana.. Shane Co (they have a location in Indianapolis) sell loose sapphires and is a reputable place with tons of choices for sapphires in all different price ranges. 

GL!
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I have a sapphire and diamond ring.  Just be careful what stones you use.  My jeweler was relieved when I described the ring I wanted designed because some stones do not hold up well.  A sapphire is apparently almost as hard as a diamond.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Thanks so much. I'm loving all the sapphires!

I love Peridot, and actually my first engagement ring was a peridot (FI called it a placeholder). Unfortunately, Peridot is another really soft stone, so now the peridot he proposed with is in a pendant around my neck. I'm sentimental and couldn't let it go!

There are so many options out there for sapphires- talk to your jeweler about the colors and shapes you like and what your budget is, and any good jeweler can make a ring that will work for you. We looked at a bunch of stones, and then picked and chose elements of settings to have the whole thing put together just how we wanted it- which I love. I can't wait to see what you finally come up with! :)
  • Options
    I have an emerald cut emerald e-ring.  If you are looking to save money, natural emeralds with good color will run jus as much as a diamond.  You can get very pretty lab-created emeralds that are more  budget friendly.    My FI worked with our jeweler (a friend of his) and designed my ring using an emerald for an estate piece that was in an ugly setting.  The ring I have has a substantial band to help protect the stone.  Another word of caution - emeralds can fracture under heat, so make sure the stones are removed during any soldering work to protect them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards