Attire & Accessories Forum

6:30pm Wedding - Long or short dresses?

My wedding is at 6:30pm in September and I know later weddings usually mean more formal attire. I would LOVE to have all my bridesmaids in long gowns but longer gowns usually also mean more expensive. They have all stressed to me how they are strapped for cash right now and would like to spend less money on the dress if possible. I want them all to be happy but does that mean I have to give up the long dress look for my wedding?

I've looked to see if there were cheap long bridesmaid dresses but I really don't like the look of the ones I've found. Advice anyone?

Re: 6:30pm Wedding - Long or short dresses?

• opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Short would be fine, but there are definitely some long options for cheap if you want.

Some of my favorite less-expensive long gowns are by JS Boutique. You can get them at Nordstrom for as little as $98:

An almost identical dress at David's Bridal is around $180!

Also try checking out prom gowns--there are some classy ones out there if you look.
  • You might also consider giving your girls an easy color such as black and a fabric and letting them shop for dresses on their own. They may be able to pick up a beautiful dress for a steal on clearance.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • I am having a 5:30pm Sept wedding and the girls are wearing short dresses. Mine is also outside. I think you could go either way depending on what you want.
  • I had a later August wedding and my girls wore a short dress.
  • Knee length would be fine for your evening wedding.  I'm sure they'll look great!
  • It is whatever you want honestly.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I am having a September wedding at 6pm and my girls are wearing knee length dresses. I gave them a color and length and let them do the rest.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You do whatever you feel like doing. If you would like to have long you can but you do not have too. Maybe go somewhere in the middle and have a tea length dress. Good Luck
  • Short dresses would look fine, but if you really want long dresses, you might look at ones that are labeled as evening dresses rather than bridesmaid dresses
  • If you want long dresses, I think you should have them in long dresses.  I don't think that is too demanding.  Since they're long, maybe you can save them some money by letting them wear their own shoes and/or jewelry?  or offering to pay for those accessories or their hair/makeup?  All that stuff adds up, and if you saved them those expenses, the long dresses would probably work out better!
  • I had a 7:00pm outdoor wedding ceremony on a Saturday evening and my BM's wore knee length dresses. It was so hot out, that they were much more comfortable that way.
  • Long dress! Trust me you will always wish you had a long dress. I sell wedding gowns and everyone wants a long dress even weddings at the beach. Please come take a look at my wedding gowns. Great designers and amazing prices.

http://www.tenderlytouchedgarments.com
  • Honestly.. My I told my bridesmaids that if the price went above a certain limit I would pay the rest on their dresses. Kind of like a small thank you to them.. I know not everyone can do that but I found great Melissa sweet dresses on sale on her website.. You just have to talk with them and see what they think.. I'm getting married outside at 6pm in May and my BM are wearing long chiffon dresses it's airy and light and doesn't cost as much as say a silk gown! Nordstrom's and J Crew are also really great stores!good luck!
  • My wedding is going to be at 6pm in August and the girls are wearing short dresses. Although, my wedding is going to be in Riverside, CA and very hot... but I think either way, it will look fine! We are having a relatively casual wedding despite the fact that it's in the evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards