Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I knew I should have waited...

To have the girls order their dresses. But I wanted to get a jump on things and get the planning ball rolling!
Basically, what's up is that four of my 8 bridesmaids have already ordered this dress from David's Bridal in Guava
: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Cotton-Sateen-Strapless-with-Ruching-and-Pockets-83312_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

And then today I saw this dress, which would be in guava as well for the wedding and was blown away by its prettiness:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Chiffon-Dress-with-Layered-Skirt-F14169_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

So now I'm wondering: should I go ahead and have all the girls order the first dress like planned or have half get that one and have half get the chiffon one? It's so gorgeous! I know I should have waited to see if a bridesmaid dress came out that I loved more than the first one but I got impatient :/

Would a mix of cotton sateen and chiffon dresses look odd? Also, would both dresses go with my dress?
Which is: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Lace-Cap-sleeve-Trumpet-with-Keyhole-Back-and-Sash-VW9768_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns

I know I am probably over thinking this, but would appreciate any input!

Re: I knew I should have waited...

• Options
    If you have an account with David's, they shouldn't have actually ordered only half the dresses.  The girls go to get measured then once everyone is measured they order all the dresses at once.  I would verify that's what happened and if so, you can probably still change the dress but  keep the original measurements.
    me and my two men image
  • Options
    I think both dresses are very similar, and I love both, with a slight preference for the first one.  If the order has gone through, I would just stick with the first.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_knew-should-waited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:4a457f47-189d-4fcc-a2d7-325c1ceed4ffPost:e2ffaf52-f82c-4f0a-97af-1a5f22790c86">Re: I knew I should have waited...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have an account with David's, they shouldn't have actually ordered only half the dresses.  The girls go to get measured then once everyone is measured they order all the dresses at once.  I would verify that's what happened and if so, you can probably still change the dress but  keep the original measurements.
    Posted by Heather8505[/QUOTE]

That's not always the case. All of my BM's ordered at separate times, in fact 3 of them have their dresses already, and one hasn't ordered yet.
  • Options
    I think you need to have the last 4 girls try on both, and then make the decision. You may not like the other one on your girls in the end anyway. Or it could be visa versa, KWIM?

I dont care for the second one, but it's just NMS. But then again my MOH wore number one so I'm partial.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Maybe you can have a couple of girls go with you to see if you like the way the chiffon and sateen look together.  I'm a little anal, so the mix of sheen and matte isn't my favorite.  I prefer #1 to #2, so I'd either have everyone in #1 or see how I felt about the mix of the two.
  • Options
    I actually kind of like the first one better.  I love the satin with the lace (which, btw, we have the same dress :-D)  Although if you really like the second one, I don't think it would look wierd to have a mix.  If you are concerned about it though, maybe try going into David's  and having a couple girls try on both of the dresses next to each other so you can tangibly see what it would look like together.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I actually like the first one better!!! It's classic yet chic at the same time! David's is usually pretty easy to work with, so if you really want to change, call them up and see what they can do for you!!
  • Options
    Aw, I am actually deciding between the first one you put up (which ALL of my girls LOVE) and the 2nd one you put up as well.  We have another dress under consideration that is NOT from DB but it's really only there because it's less expensive.  I love both of them, and haven't been to DB to see the 2nd one in person yet.  I might see if one of my BM's will go to DB to look at it with me sometime soon so we can decide.  

Either way you go, whether you stay with the 1st one, or mix with the 2nd one... it will be a beautiful, fun, flirty style that I think your BM's will love as much as mine do.  My mom liked both of the dresses (and she's VERY conservative) so I knew we had a winner in the first one because it comes with the extra straps, whereas the 2nd one does not appear to come with extra straps. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    I much prefer the first one and feel like it's something that would be easier to wear again.

As a BM, I might be mad if you switched at this point.  Since it's the girls money, I'd ask the remaining girls what they like.
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I'd just stick with the first one.  If i was a BM and I had already ordered my dress, I guess I'd feel funny about the other girls having a new choice.  What if I like the other dress better?  So basically, to avoid drama and hurt feelings, I'd just stick with the first dress.  Plus I also tend to think having the half and half different dresses looks silly, but that's just me.

PS.  Your dress is beautiful!

ETA:  Just looked up what color guava is.  I'd *DEFINITELY* stick with dress #1.  If I remember from DB, their light pink chiffon looks like Pepto Bismal.  It is much prettier in the cotton. You should check it out in store, you might not even like the chiffon dress in that color.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_knew-should-waited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:4a457f47-189d-4fcc-a2d7-325c1ceed4ffPost:e2ffaf52-f82c-4f0a-97af-1a5f22790c86">Re: I knew I should have waited...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have an account with David's, they shouldn't have actually ordered only half the dresses.  The girls go to get measured then once everyone is measured they order all the dresses at once.  I would verify that's what happened and if so, you can probably still change the dress but  keep the original measurements.
    Posted by Heather8505[/QUOTE]

This is not always true.  My BM's all ordered their dresses at different times and picked them up at different times.  I actually went to get one of them today
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    I also have bridesmaids ordering from DB, and they all purchased at separate times. So that might be just a local thing. I think both dresses are beautiful. In my opinion, I wouldn't mix the different fabrics. I like the look of different dresses but in the same fabric. I also really like the first dress, and the second is NMS. However, it's all a matter of personal choice and opinion, so if you don't think the different fabrics would bother you, go for it!
  • Options
    I'd stick with the one you ordered. In the end, I don't think you will look back on your wedding and wish your bridesmaids looked different.
  • Options
    In my opinion you need to have them try on both dresses but I'm partial to the first one, that is if you want all of them to wear the same dress. Can't you let your bridesmaid decide which one they like better as it's not a problem if your party is wearing different dresses.

I'm having navy dress & letting my party pick whatever dress suits them - I don't want all of them in the same dress but to get an additional use out of a dress that looks great on them. I don't care if it's short or long, halter or strapless. All I care about is that they are all the same color.
  • Options
    We're sticking with the first dress, and they are ordering this early to get a $20 discount they wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Everyone loves how the dress looks on them, whether they are a size 0 or a 12, which is nice. Thanks for all the input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards