Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How Did You Choose Your Dress?

2»

Re: How Did You Choose Your Dress?

• Options
    i tried on a ton of dresses and loved all of them as well but when i finally found the dress it was the only dress that made me feel 100% like a princess.
  • Options
    jmcbazzjmcbazz member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Yeah to have many great choices that look great on you!  

My 2 cents: keep an open mind & go with your gut!

I have the opposite body problem - all curves - and thought dress shopping might be semi-disastrous for those of us who aren't 5'10" and svelt! Went to SYTTD in NYC with several pictures.  Randy (even better dressed in person & so sweet) looked me over, put his hand to his chin, and said, "I've got a curve ball for you." The "curve ball" had a trumpet skirt - I looked at Randy like he was nuts - really any form of a mermaid dress, did you see my curves? - but the dress was gorgeous, so why not?!
    All I have to say is that dress does things for my body that I didn't know were possible!  Utterly loved it! Bought the dress on my first day of shopping and have never looked back!  Randy is a genius and I'm so excited to wear my gorgeous "curve ball" on the best day of my life!

Good luck with your search!
  • Options
    I tried on dresses at 4 different shops. Don't wait too long betweeen appointments if you can help it, because you'll forget what your favorites looked like. I tried on a dress at the second shop that was out of town, but wanted my mom to see. I found it again at the last shop I went to, and I knew when I tried it on again it was "the one". The thing that worked for me was to acknowledge that some dresses were beautiful, perfect wedding dresses, but the one I chose was "my dress". You'll know, as cliche as that sounds!! Happy hunting!
  • Options
    It's fun searching for a wedding dress but so overwhelming.  The first thing is don't take a lot of people with you.  I'm not sure if you did or not but your opinion can get lost amonst all of theirs.  Just relax.  Don't expect to find on right away.  Just have fun and look around.  Also keep in mind your own personal style and what dress will go best with the style of wedding that you want.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I thought I would have a hard time picking my dress (I am detail orientated to the extreme), but it was the 3rd one I tried on. I wanted a dropped waist A-line or fit-n-flare with lace or tulle. I ended up with a fit-n-flare made of taffeta with no lace and no beading, only a couple of pick-ups/gatherings. It was just simple and flattering, and the price was right as it was actually a prom dress! The dress didn't look like much on the hanger, but when I put it on...there was a moment of shock and I realized there was not one thing I would change about the dress - it was perfect! I guess you could say, I just knew. Weird thing is, I had the same reaction with my fiance, we both just "knew" the first night we met. =D

I guess I am not much help, lol.
  • Options

Like any Woman, I new what I wanted when I was born. Actually, I have been with my Fiance for 9 years. (high school sweethearts) When he finally popped the question last December I had already made a Wedding Planner/Folder. So I knew what kind of dress I wanted and what it would bridesmaid dresses would look like. However, when I went to actually try on dresses my best friend and family kept handing me dresses to try on. When I put on the "one" it was nothing like I had imagined.  
        What I can say to someone looking for her dress is...Try on a 100 dresses. or more. Put everything out of your mind. You will look good in every dress you try on. Some will be better then others. Most dresses look better on then on the hanger, so try on some "ugly" ones. They say you know when you put it on.
        I put mine on and I knew. It felt right. I felt like a princess, like I am the most beautiful bride ever! That is how you should feel. Like no one else could possibly look better in this dress then you.
         And when you think you found the "one", try on more. Sleep on it (if you can) and see how you feel in the morning. If its the only dress you can think about and nothing measures up to it. Then you know, it is the "one". 
         Congratulations and Best Wishes!

• Options
    well being a punk couple having a black dress was really no surprise. also i wasnt willing to pay for something that cost a fortune for me to put it in a closet n never wear it again. so i went to debs. foound the dress i loved the most. and bought it. simple easy and i can wear it out! :)
  • Options
    I feel exactly the same way as most.  I just started yesterday trying on dresses and I did start to feel a bit overwhelmed.  I had to quit yesterday as everything was starting to look the same!  I found one today that I really liked but I'm afraid to commit, and am still waiting for the "feeling".  According to this message board, it will come, so I will wait!  Thanks!
  • Options
    bridal gowns are made to make you look stunning... so yes, it makes it hard to choose!!

i knew my dress was the one because i could not stop smiling and did not want to take it off :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also have a rectangular shape, and I ended up getting a ball gown. I picked it because I felt amazing in that dress, and I never wanted to take it off. It was normally $1800 and it was on sale for $500. I asked the sales woman if she could hold it for me for a few days and she said she couldn't. The thought of someone else buying that dress made me want to cry, so I bought it that day
  • Options
    I couldn't wait to go dress shopping. I knew exactly what kind of dress I was looking for and had started looking online and found a few favorites that I wanted to try on. My matron of honor and I went to just see those few styles and to try some others. I wasn't expecting to find the one that I wanted that day. The one style that I liked the most I tried on first and then tried on about 5 others and when I put that one back on, I just knew that I loved that dress. I brought my mom back a couple weeks later and tried it on for her as well as a few others to make my sister happy and just knew that the one I fell in love with was the one I wanted and nothing could compare to it. I didn't think anything was going to look good on me. I'm a heavy girl and don't look good in much (my opinion), but I thought my dress looked absolutely gorgeous. I didn't want to take it off. I wish any bride much luck with dress shopping, it's not always the easiest and may take time to find "the one" for you, but you'll know when you find it.
  • Options
      Judging from the above, I've gone down an unconventional route.
      Being a total pushover, there was just no way I could go to a bridal boutique to buy my gowns. I would have ended up thousands of euro over budget, with the dresses of my dreams but the bill of my worst nightmares.
      I therefore bought the informal dress for our weekday registry office 'do' from an online catalogue a few weeks ago. It fits beautifully and looks even better than it did on the site.  As for the dress for the main ceremony/reception on the Saturday, I bought a gorgeous one from England via eBay. There were plenty of photos, including close-ups: very reassuring.
      There was just no chance I would have gotten two nice new dresses for 300EUR in an Irish bridal shop and I'm proud of myself for falling well under budget! Would recommend the same method to anyone who has a tight spending limit ... or just loves a bargain like me! ^_^
  • Options
    I wasn't that picky at first, but once I started trying on dresses, I narrowed down my preferences pretty quickly.  I hate crinoline.  I hate pick-ups on a skirt (they make me look like a cake).  I hate steely silver embroidery.  I hate excessive use of appliques.  I don't want to look like a princess.  But I also learned that I love lace overlays, especially with beading (I never would have even tried on a gown like this if the saleslady hadn't suggested it), and even though I'm plus-sized, a narrower fit actually looks better.  I learned that a sweetheart neckline is the best one for me.

After going to 7 different shops, I finally found the dress of my dreams, once I narrowed down what I wanted.  It's a sheath-style with a barely A-line skirt with a lace overlay and ruched satin bustline with a detachable train.  I'm going to add straps and have a bolero jacket made.  Also, when I walked into the shop, I decided that this is the place I wanted to give my money to, since it's a very small business catering only to plus-sized brides.  I want my purchase to show that there is a need for these shops, and I want to see this one succeed.  I'm a huge advocate of voting with my dollars.
  • Options
    After I started trying on dresses, I ran into the problem that the dresses that looked great in person had lots of subtle detailing that didn't show in the photo, so they looked very plain.  Then the ones I tried on that were a little more showy looked great in photos, but were a little to crazy in person for my taste.  Obviously you want to look great day of, but you also want to look great in your photos, because that's what you keep forever!   I kept looking, and took test photos at every bridal gown salon, and I finally found a dress that looked great in photos AND in person.  Ultimately that's how I made my decision!
  • Options
    I am a very organized bride... This is my second engagement... but will be my first wedding... The first time... I was a bit too large to try on most dresses... This time I was not... I set a day of appointments... I work a lot and am planning a large wedding in about 6 months so time is of the essence... I went in with a binder... yes a binder with dresses of all types that I liked... The first store- I had been to last time- was amazing.  My consultant and the regional assistant were just AMAZING... The entire store was amazing... I have to say... please do not downplay the help of the consultant... Everything I tried on I liked... and it looked good... Big difference since I am 120lbs lighter this time... However, I became lost in the puffy dresses... 
    The consultant informed me I had the most amazing shoulders she had ever seen... I used to despise them... So, she showed me a dress she thought was perfect...She confessed to sneaking it in after I said no on the rack... I almost refused to try it on... I did it because I really trusted the consultant... I am soo glad I listened to the consultant... I looked in the mirror and just stood... Then I went out to show my mom... It was just the two of us shopping- I wanted it that way... She was trying to be quiet and then I saw her eyes watering... We both started to cry... the consultant and regional were also crying... That is how I knew it was the one...
    I did go to the other appointments... but could not get this dress out of my mind... We went right back to the store and ordered the dress and veil... Yes, we cried again... I have been back to the store a few times... and every time I go... it is a party... the consultant tells me how many people she has told about our experience.. We are even inviting both ladies to the wedding..
    My advice:  You will know when it is the right one... find a consultant and store you love.... do not downplay customer service... I know without a doubt my dress and veil will be perfect... 
    02.26.11 is the day I finally marry the love of my life...
  • Options
    This is not a bad problem to have. When I went dress shopping a couple of weeks ago, I had dresses in mind that I thought I would love. Well, the majority of those dresses didn't seem right. I felt that I couldn't decide. I had three favorites, but there was something that wasn't alterable about everyone of them that I did not like. The consultant that I was working with asked what I liked about the dresses and what I didn't like. She then came back with her choice for me. I put it on and that was the end of my dilema.
    So, to shorten this, you just know when it is right. If you have any hesitation on it, you probably don't want to get it. You could also ask the consultant to pick one for you. I picked out all dropped waist dresses and said no sweatheart neckline. I ended up buying a dress that was A-line with a sweatheart neckline. I felt beautiful in it, and you want that feeling. I hope you find one that makes you feel like a princess :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards